Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sourcing a Trellis

Options
  • 22-02-2021 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Where can I find a trellis like the below? I have looked online in garden centres but all seem to just have the trellis panels on their own.

Is it possible to get a ready made one like in the image with the posts and caps?

544640.PNG

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭rje66

K09 wrote: »
    Hi,

Where can I find a trellis like the below? I have looked online in garden centres but all seem to just have the trellis panels on their own.

Is it possible to get a ready made one like in the image with the posts and caps?

544640.PNG

Thanks!

That's just a standard heavy duty / country trellis painted with a 3*3 post and cap and ball on top. You don't buy like this. Its separate and you just screw together. In Dublin try clonee sawmills or timbertrove.

This is one I did recently, similar to what you are planning. Its easily done .

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭K09

rje66 wrote: »
    This is one I did recently, similar to what you are planning. Its easily done .

Looks amazing! Well done!

What do I need for this? Trellis panels and couple of 4*4 posts?
    How do you attach the panels to the posts?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,421 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You nail them with galvanised nails through the frame of the panel into the post. Drill holes first. More to the point is getting the posts upright and firm, and the exact right distance apart so the panels fit. If you haven't done much diy I suggest you do a bit of reading and watching Youtube videos :) You need patience, attention to detail and some basic tools rather than any mad skillz.

looksee wrote: »
    You nail them with galvanised nails through the frame of the panel into the post. Drill holes first. More to the point is getting the posts upright and firm, and the exact right distance apart so the panels fit. If you haven't done much diy I suggest you do a bit of reading and watching Youtube videos :) You need patience, attention to detail and some basic tools rather than any mad skillz.
    Pretty much this. I screw in the trellis yo post as its easier to get it out than a nail . Critical thing is get all posts level. What i do is fix on first post, then attach first trellis, get trellis level than attach second post to wall and trellis then attach second trellis to second post and so on. Then fix on the ornate tops. Some people would fix on all posts first. The problem with this way is not all trellis will be exactly same sizes, some will be 1.79m some 1.81m. Trying to reduce a trellis by 8-10mm is a pain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Always drill the trellis for the nails/screws, otherwise it will split. Don't ask how I know this.
    The best fixing method is to use stainless steel screws so that they don't rust.

Advertisement