Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How would you rate the governments performance tackling Covid so far

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jcon1913

Except it doesnt apply to US, UK or anyone travelling for "essential or logistical work" which is presumably the lions share of people coming here. I'd be amazed if anyone ends up quarantining for weeks at a cost of 2 grand.

The travel ban needs to be extended to all countries. But don’t worry- Ireland will only cop on to this too late.

Meanwhile it’s own citizens are living under effective house arrest.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,318 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

jcon1913 wrote:
    The travel ban needs to be extended to all countries. But don’t worry- Ireland will only cop on to this too late.

Strong border controls are too politically sensitive, due to our history
    jcon1913 wrote:
    Meanwhile it’s own citizens are living under effective house arrest.

There's nothing truly stopping you from moving about, many, including myself, have been doing so all along

Wanderer78 wrote: »

There's nothing truly stopping you from moving about, many, including myself, have been doing so all along

No there is nothing stopping me from moving around. But believe it or not I don’t want to break any laws or be constantly stopped by the guards. Plus very few shops no restaurants open working from home- where would I be going?

jcon1913 wrote:
    No there is nothing stopping me from moving around. But believe it or not I don’t want to break any laws or be constantly stopped by the guards. Plus very few shops no restaurants open working from home- where would I be going?

Plenty of check point free roads about the place, so real issues there, a drive to somewhere, no where, can be good for the head. Government had no choice but to shut businesses, but they certainly could do a hell of a lot more to protect them from permanently shutting

• Registered Users Posts: 20,194 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Depends how you measure it.

Compared to the uk, we’re doing great.
    Fewer cases per population 44,300 vs 62,300
    Fewer deaths per population 870 per million vs 1,830. Over twice the death rate per million population.

I keep hearing that the uk has had the biggest economic drop too but I haven’t seen the estimates for Ireland.

I also keep hearing that Ireland had the strictest restrictions but I read a uk article saying they have the strictest restrictions and Ireland was about 4th. So it depends how you measure them. But they were both pretty strict.

I don’t know how to measure these things. All I can say is that we were miles better than our most comparable neighbour but they have much more vaccine supply so some people will probably rate their performance higher because of that alone.

People complain about the Irish government’s vaccine rollout but I think the bottleneck has been supply rather than administering the vaccine once in the country.

Very hard to judge. But I think they’ve done pretty well overall. There’s a pretty interesting (although obvious) phenomenon where people rate the service based on how much they like the product. So for example then Revenue ring you up to say you owe them money, people rate the customer service very low. But when revenue ring you up to say they owe you money, people rate the customer every high. Even though the customer service is the same, the rating changes depending on how much people like what they’re being told.

In this case the government is dealing with a total sh1t sandwich in covid. So the question is how well they’ve served the sh1t sandwich so people will always rate them very low.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Depends how you measure it.

Compared to the uk, we’re doing great.
    Fewer cases per population 44,300 vs 62,300
    Fewer deaths per population 870 per million vs 1,830. Over twice the death rate per million population.

I keep hearing that the uk has had the biggest economic drop too but I haven’t seen the estimates for Ireland.

I also keep hearing that Ireland had the strictest restrictions but I read a uk article saying they have the strictest restrictions and Ireland was about 4th. So it depends how you measure them. But they were both pretty strict.

I don’t know how to measure these things. All I can say is that we were miles better than our most comparable neighbour but they have much more vaccine supply so some people will probably rate their performance higher because of that alone.

People complain about the Irish government’s vaccine rollout but I think the bottleneck has been supply rather than administering the vaccine once in the country.

Very hard to judge. But I think they’ve done pretty well overall. There’s a pretty interesting (although obvious) phenomenon where people rate the service based on how much they like the product. So for example then Revenue ring you up to say you owe them money, people rate the customer service very low. But when revenue ring you up to say they owe you money, people rate the customer every high. Even though the customer service is the same, the rating changes depending on how much people like what they’re being told.

In this case the government is dealing with a total sh1t sandwich in covid. So the question is how well they’ve served the sh1t sandwich so people will always rate them very low.

Interesting how you ignored the major failing and most commented upon problem ie Communication.
    To use your Revenue analogy, I doubt anyone likes to get a call off Revenue telling them they owe money. Thing is though you will be told how much , Revenue won't leave you confused or guessing.

Interesting how you ignored the major failing and most commented upon problem ie Communication.
    To use your Revenue analogy, I doubt anyone likes to get a call off Revenue telling them they owe money. Thing is though you will be told how much , Revenue won't leave you confused or guessing.

In your analogy, does revenue know how much they owe and when it’s due? Because the government didn’t know how long covid would take or how harmful it would be all along. Nobody did.

I’ve thought from the starry that they should have been more honest about how long restrictions would likely be needed. But you can see from these threads, how badly people react to news they don’t want to hear. Most people can only handle short term news. I would have preferred the likely longer term view.

What are we comparing the Irish government to? The uk communication was definitely even worse. They just lurched from crisis to crisis. They followed Ireland and Scotland’s lead on lockdowns and schools and so on. They said schools would reopen after Christmas and threatened legal action on any schools that didn’t open, then schools opened for one day and they closed the schools.

I’m pretty confident we wouldn’t be much happier in any other country either.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,023 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

everyone is entitled to their own opinion but so far 13 people voted very good! Hundreds of people died as a direct result of how the government tried to buy our votes by "giving us Christmas". Most other countries were closing for Christmas to stop people meeting up. In Ireland we thought it a great idea to open for the time of the year where we drink the most & meet the most people & elderly people.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    everyone is entitled to their own opinion but so far 13 people voted very good! Hundreds of people died as a direct result of how the government tried to buy our votes by "giving us Christmas". Most other countries were closing for Christmas to stop people meeting up. In Ireland we thought it a great idea to open for the time of the year where we drink the most & meet the most people & elderly people.
    That was more about some people thinking that giving us Christmas meant it was a normal one and they acted accordingly. As an idea it wasn't wrong but it was used the wrong way.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭darem93

The vaccine rollout is pretty devastating, especially when you compare it to our closest neighbours. But to be fair, the vast majority of people I've spoken to aren't really blaming our government for it. Most people know it's a supply issue and the blame is lying squarely with Europe for that one.

That being said, the reports of certain surgeries receiving too many while others aren't receiving enough isn't exactly inspiring much confidence.

• Advertisement

Sleeper12 wrote: »

Yeah but given that we’re in right restrictions at the moment, I bet lots of people rated them very bad because they dislike restrictions.

I’d like to know what measurements people are using to rate the performance. What are they comparing the Irish government to?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

darem93 wrote: »
    The vaccine rollout is pretty devastating, especially when you compare it to our closest neighbours. But to be fair, the vast majority of people I've spoken to aren't really blaming our government for it. Most people know it's a supply issue and the blame is firmly lying at the door of Europe for that one.
    It's not their fault either - this shortfall was expected and down to the initial challenge of providing supplies to an entity 8 time the size of our neighbour. We are supposed to be 4-5 weeks way from the start of more plentiful supplies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Except it doesnt apply to US, UK or anyone travelling for "essential or logistical work" which is presumably the lions share of people coming here. I'd be amazed if anyone ends up quarantining for weeks at a cost of 2 grand.

This whole bill is just another chapter in their charade of pretending to propely restrict travel. There has been huge pressure on the goverment from the exasperated public, nphet, and the opposition, to do something about the issue. So in the usual irish politician, typcial, cute hoor way, they schemed up this latest bit of theatre to essentially get people off their backs.

It goes very little in any of actually being a functional system that will protect us.

From what I gather, Brazilian meat workers can still be deemed essential, and exempt from the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭dmn22

Wanderer78 wrote: »

I hate hearing this 'excuse' for not being able to close the borders. What happens if a more lethal virus comes around in a few years time and the UK refuses to close their borders? Do we just go down on the same sinking ship?

The fact that we don't seem to have any control over our borders is a joke for a supposed Republic.

If this government were able to travel back in time to this time last year, I'm certain they'd make the exact same mistakes again.

dmn22 wrote: »
    I hate hearing this 'excuse' for not being able to close the borders. What happens if a more lethal virus comes around in a few years time and the UK refuses to close their borders? Do we just go down on the same sinking ship?

The fact that we don't seem to have any control over our borders is a joke for a supposed Republic.

If this government were able to travel back in time to this time last year, I'm certain they'd make the exact same mistakes again.

not only is this politically sensitive due to our own history, its also politically sensitive at a European level, no political entity wants to rock this boat, as its one of the main core beliefs of the eu

• Registered Users Posts: 9,406 ✭✭✭Macy0161

If we were just going to lockdown all borders, why the f*ck did we insist on the NI Protocol? As essentially this is what "lock down the borders" requires for this State. Are people really saying that would not be problematic, or have much longer and more widespread implications?

Zero chance of an all island approach with the combined populist forces of SF and DUP up North both playing to their crowds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 299 ✭✭DessieJames

jcon1913 wrote: »
    The so called UK variant is responsible for 95% of cases according to RTÉ this evening. And that’s from travel

how do you know it came in via Dublin airport and not someone from N.Ireland crossing the border, you dont.

plus this is mainstream media we're talking about here, do you really believe everything they say, i certainly dont!!

Of course it's from travel, you can't get from the UK to here without traveling

how do you know it came in via Dublin airport and not someone from N.Ireland crossing the border, you dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,080 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I never once suggested it came in via Dublin airport although 10,500 people did come in to our country on flights into Dublin Airport last week so it has a high probability

But somebody who comes in from NI is also traveling into our country

I never once suggested it came in via Dublin airport although 10,500 people did come in to our country on flights into Dublin Airport last week so it has a high probability

But somebody who comes in from NI is also traveling into our country

But you cannot do anything about people crossing the border.

and mores to the point, the mass hysteria and downright lies surrounding travel is shocking,

the stats dont lie - travel accounts for hardly any cases!!

Travel related - 71 - 0.66%

https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/surveillance/covid-1914-dayepidemiologyreports/COVID-19_14_day_epidemiology_WEB%20report_20210225_v1.0.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Cheers. I didn't do my research there, and was going on hearsay. Mea culpa.

Just did some follow up reading on the subject though, and there does seem to be some type of connection between Coveney and the industry. His brother is head of greencore foods and there a lot of insinuation about a Goodman connection.

Since there is nothing in facts there though, I of course have deleted.

It could just as easily have been a Dutch lorry driver arriving in Rosslare delivering goods from Poland.

If you close all borders and go for zero covid, then you effectively give up your avocados, satsumas and cheap tulips.

Aegir wrote: »
    It could just as easily have been a Dutch lorry driver arriving in Rosslare delivering goods from Poland.

If you close all borders and go for zero covid, then you effectively give up your avocados, satsumas and cheap tulips.

:D:D

this mad eme laugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭HansKroenke

Strumms wrote: »
    Civil liberties? You HAVE to stop at red traffic lights, you can’t drink 4 vodkas and drive, or do you find these laws that are also in existence to keep people well, healthy, alive are a charade and impinging in your civil liberty too..?

Wow, you really think these are comparable? There is a total void of critical thinking in this post which is embarrassing and shameful.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,080 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

But you cannot do anything about people crossing the border.

and mores to the point, the mass hysteria and downright lies surrounding travel is shocking,

the stats dont lie - travel accounts for hardly any cases!!

Travel related - 71 - 0.66%

https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/surveillance/covid-1914-dayepidemiologyreports/COVID-19_14_day_epidemiology_WEB%20report_20210225_v1.0.pdf

Yes 0.66% of the cases came in, those 71 people then went on to infect people, who infected more people and so the situation grew but if they didn't come in (or if they came in and were quarantined on the way in) then they wouldn't have spread it

I never said anything about airports. Of course we'd have to stop people travelling to and from NI. If we are serious about stopping this then that's what we have to do.

Why should millions of people ( citizens of Ireland ) experience a form of house arrest only to have people swanning around the country spreading Covid - if you have an answer to this please enlighten us.

As for deliveries - we have plenty of drivers here - containers only is the route to go there no roll-on, roll-off allowed - simple really.

But if you want to mess about and tell people some BS that you are actually doing something by stopping travellers from 20 countries out of a potential 200 in the world then go right ahead. Don't expect me to fall for it though.

:D:D

this mad eme laugh

You can take our freedom, but they'll never take our satsumas!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Too reliant on restrictions and lockdowns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Has to be a 3 out of ten. So many mistakes were made, we looked at Europe and implemented their changes but slowly and for far too long. We had one of the longest lockdowns and yet only a few months ago we had the most cases per population in the entire world. Now we have an incredibly slow roll out of the vaccine.

We've billions to spend on a hospital that hasn't been started, we've billions to spend on pup, we've millions to spend on sending the test results to Germany for testing, yet we don't have a single testing facility in Dublin Airport.

Advertisement