Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How would you rate the governments performance tackling Covid so far

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The current government have been a disgrace from start to finish.

That word almost doesn't seem strong enough, but it is what they are, a ****ing disgrace. The repeated failures to protect the vulnerable in nursing homes, the total lack of respect for the small businesses they so casually closed at their whim, for the ticking time bomb they have created in the youth of today, for the horrendous communication throughout this past year, they are a complete and utter disgrace.

As for the sycophants who tied themselves in knots defending the indefensible, stay under your beds lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭screamer

A masterclass in fnckupology

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭HansKroenke

Masks don't work
    Social distancing does not work
    Lockdowns don't work
    We have destroyed the economy plunged ourselves in tens of billions of debt and created a social disaster for years to come.
    For the sake of a virus with a 0.03% death rate.
    The vaccine is now available for the very sick and very old who should be cocooning
    Only a handful of victims of working age died from this virus.
    Locking hundreds of thousands out of work - work which in many cases will not be there when restrictions are lifted - will plunge these people into poverty and homelessness.
    This was evident at the very start of this when everyone said lockdowns were a medecine worse than the disease.
    This entire fiasco hws been the greatest overreaction and own goal since the world went to war in 1914.

2.8m of the population are under the age of 45. The death rate based on recorded cases is three times lower than the suicide rate in this age category.

Over reaction to covid is a massive understatement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Stephen Donnelly and Norma Foley are some of the worst ministers in the history of the state...

Leaky Leo, Sleepy Eamon, Meandering Meehole.

0 out of 10.

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 9,080 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Masks don't work
    Lockdowns don't work
    We have destroyed the economy plunged ourselves in tens of billions of debt and created a social disaster for years to come.
    The vaccine is now available for the very sick and very old who should be cocooning
    Locking hundreds of thousands out of work - work which in many cases will not be there when restrictions are lifted - will plunge these people into poverty and homelessness.
    This was evident at the very start of this when everyone said lockdowns were a medecine worse than the disease.
    This entire fiasco hws been the greatest overreaction and own goal since the world went to war in 1914.
    2.8m of the population are under the age of 45. The death rate based on recorded cases is three times lower than the suicide rate in this age category.

Over reaction to covid is a massive understatement.

You are spouting fake news

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭HansKroenke

Just report this poster for trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Why are people so obsessed with foreign travel and house parties??

Don't understand it.

Foreign travel is down 90%, and data shows its negligible to the spread of COVID.
    House parties is a bit of a joke, you'd want to cop on if you think they're significantly contributing.

The biggest cause of COVID is average people not following government advice, not restricting their movement and believing their travel is "essential" just because.

Everyone draws the line just below where they are. The roads are just as busy now in Level 3, people are still in towns, meeting friends and more people are back working jobs that they themselves have deemed "essential". It's nonsense. We're nowhere near where we were last March.
    But I suppose people are complacent because COVID isn't the boogie man it was made out to be. 4000 people died of COVID over the past year, about half as many who die from cardiovascular disease.
    It's a bad statistic, but there were predictions of 20-50k deaths.
    Of courses, this is all with the benefit of hindsight.

People need to calm down. Vaccines are here, soon this will be a distant memory.
    To be fair, there's some valid points there. I think there needs to be an investigation into the media response, where every case and death was whipped up to insane proportions. We're a year on and some people are still glued to the daily figures with morbid fascination.

For all the talk of mental health in the last decade why are media in particular allowed to publish such OTT nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭HBC08

Yeah....the UK have been really brilliant.

How about them having almost 2.5 x per capita hospitalised throughout the pandemic and almost 4 x per capita in excess deaths during the pandemic.
    Cases per capita almost 50% higher.

Hardly a shining light.

Yes they have got a head start in the vaccination race, but they're cutting corners. The only country in the world having a 12 week gap between doses. Its ballsy, I'll give them that and i sincerely hope it works as a strategy, but Boris has really bet the house on this course of action.

Whilst I agree with most of that I have to point out Ireland are doing the 12 week gap on the AZ vaccine too.
    I got it in early Feb and 2nd jab is exactly 12 weeks later.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭FR85

Masks don't work
    Lockdowns don't work

It doesn't affect them, they still get massive wages and nice pensions.......despite them destroying the country. The industry I am in has been nuked, absolutely levelled. A lot of colleagues are struggling with little to look forward to or potential jobs on the horizon yet those assholes have been in no way affected financially (I would not call a 10% paycut of a middle to top government wage a financial setback).
    They do not have to answer to anyone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

FR85 wrote: »
    It doesn't affect them, they still get massive wages and nice pensions.......despite them destroying the country. The industry I am in has been nuked, absolutely levelled. A lot of colleagues are struggling with little to look forward to or potential jobs on the horizon yet those assholes have been in no way affected financially (I would not call a 10% paycut of a middle to top government wage a financial setback).
    They do not have to answer to anyone.

To add insult to injury they are getting another pay increase!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Masks don't work
    Lockdowns don't work

Am I going mental or are you copying and pasting this exact post several times a week?

Regardless;

It's nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭FR85

To add insult to injury they are getting another pay increase!

They need to be removed. The best laugh I got was recently taxing the car, road tax went up yet we cant go anywhere. Serious overhaul is needed and hopefully it will come.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭crazy 88

Just report this poster for trolling.

either a troll or very unhinged

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭crazy 88

FR85 wrote: »
    They need to be removed. The best laugh I got was recently taxing the car, road tax went up yet we cant go anywhere. Serious overhaul is needed and hopefully it will come.

To be replaced with...sinn féin? :D They've done a great job in the north :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Zero out of whatever marker you want. They have the worst kind of after the fact copycat reactive and have never made a decision or implemented an idea they didn't watch somebody else do first. The "meaningful Christmas" bs was the final straw. You could have a meaningful Christmas with the people in your bloody house, gormless, gutless Micky left all and sundry home for Christmas and look at the mess we're in now.

Stonewall gaurantee we'll be the absolute last in Europe and likely trailing some genuine "****hole countries" in getting a meaningful percentage of the population vaccinated.

• Site Banned Posts: 301 ✭✭Whatisthisnow

crazy 88 wrote: »
    To be replaced with...sinn féin? :D They've done a great job in the north :rolleyes:

Sinn Fein are in power in the North with 5 other parties
    One of them parties The DUP as everyone knows, rejected pretty much everything

Everyone knows this so the shouting up North dosnt wash anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Masks don't work

It was around here I realized this was gonna be a stupid post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭quokula

Stats suggest we kept excess deaths pretty close to zero last year, despite a land border with one of the worst affected countries in the world who suffered over one hundred thousand excess deaths. We did that whilst also being the only country in Europe to see economic growth. Additionally, our vaccine program was the second fastest in the EU last I checked (although it's pretty close between lots of countries so that may vary in any given week)

In the face of a global pandemic that none of us have seen the likes of in our lifetime, I am very glad to be living in Ireland right now. I have friends elsewhere from when I lived abroad and practically everyone knows or has been impacted in some way by lives lost and families destroyed by the virus. All most people in Ireland have had to complain about is their inability to go out for a pint or a financial loss which pales into significance compared to lives lost. And while the majority of us are still in work those that aren't, while no doubt losing out financially, are still receiving one of the more generous pandemic unemployment payments in the world, which is as much as you could ask of the government.

The only time the government faltered was the misguided decision to open up for a period around Christmas, which undoubtedly cost many lives. Though if they hadn't done it they'd be getting pilloried for that and sooner or later they would have had to bow to the public pressure to open things up and allow lots of people to die before necessarily shutting down again - indeed there's already a sizeable cohort of idiots with short memories who want us to repeat that mistake again now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Off the top of my head, only Brazil, the UK, Sweden and the States made a bigger balls of things...

A lot here think we should have copied the above.

Govt can't win, they are lambasted for having too strict restrictions, and being too lax.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

I have a lot of criticism but I am also hesitant to judge the government. I think crisis like this make all but the best politicians look terrible, and I never had any illusions that our government was special. They are just average run of the mill politicians and due to the tragedy that was Trump we had no role model to follow through all of this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

quokula wrote: »

The only time the government faltered was the misguided decision to open up for a period around Christmas, which undoubtedly cost many lives. ....

In fairness there was more than just that. We needed to be stricter on people travelling in and out of the country for most of the pandemic. Then Xmas...

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I just hope were never in a military conflict with MM/Leo as our commanders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

This country's:
    • Huge drink problem
    • Second World health system
    • A fear mongering State media that will push at least one or two people to suicide before Summer
    • A usually couldn't give a monkeys "police force" and
    • Lazy, incompetent politicians

among other things

These all slipped by before 2020 in the sense that it didn't overall drag the country down

Then a once in a century pandemic comes along and makes a show of all of the above and more

"shure it'll be grand"

No

No it fcuking well won't be

Covid has magnified Ireland as the shambles it is

The intelligent are planning their emigration ASAP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

The government, in my opinion, don’t seem to care about people’s mental health and the toll the lockdown is having on it. There are dark times that make me wonder if it’s worth carrying on if we’re just going to be in lockdown forever especially considering the new variants.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭quokula

beauf wrote: »
    In fairness there was more than just that. We needed to be stricter on people travelling in and out of the country for most of the pandemic. Then Xmas...

I believe travel is a wildly overstated issue as numbers of travellers are tiny and it is pretty insignificant compared to community transition. But if we leave that argument aside for a minute and just look at how it's been handled.

If you look around the world, with the exception of some isolated countries in the Pacific and some totalitarian regimes, there really are very few examples of countries who's governments have done any better than ours.

It's easy to criticise in hindsight, and to underestimate the challenge in doing something like this while many EU citizens live or work or come from different sides of the border and while trade and vital supplies still need to flow back and forth to keep society functioning.

Could they have done better? Sure. But again, these are entirely unprecedented circumstances and nobody knew how it was going to pan out early in the pandemic, or when variants might emerge, and there really aren't very many governments in the world who've done any better than Ireland on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭aziz

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I just hope were never in a military conflict with MM/Leo as our commanders

First plan of action

“We surrender “

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

From the very start a total lack of leadership .
    The crisis was an opportunity for someone to showcase that they had it .
    It's not only the government ,but what's scary is it's also the so called opposition.
    We really are in for a few tough years .
    The performance from Michael Martin has been shocking .
    The powers that be in Fianna Fáil know that .
    How soon before they bit the bullet and there's a leadership battle .
    One things for sure ....they can't go into the next general election with him in charge .

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Antics21

The political class, and not just here but across the Western world, is of a very low standard and has been in decline for decades. There are various reasons for this but it has been very evident in the last two major crises of the financial crisis and Covid 19 that show a headlessness in politics, overly reliant on advisors and the metrics of public opinion. The opposition in many countries is no better. Disillusionment with political systems was growing pre Covid - while it was a brief stop to that rot over the last year it may now act as fire to it and serious reforms should be considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

RGS wrote: »
    Shambolic. Since Christmas it's been a total sh&show..

There like a team who have lost a couple of games on the trot and all confidence is gone.

Or a team that are losing 5-0 and still continue to put 9 men behind the ball...

• Advertisement

Zero out of whatever marker you want. They have the worst kind of after the fact copycat reactive and have never made a decision or implemented an idea they didn't watch somebody else do first. The "meaningful Christmas" bs was the final straw. You could have a meaningful Christmas with the people in your bloody house, gormless, gutless Micky left all and sundry home for Christmas and look at the mess we're in now.

It wasn't the government looking for a meaningful christmas, though. It was the citizens who effectively said "we're gonna have christmas whether you let us or not", and the govt. reacted accordingly.

People keep ignoring rules, then giving out when the numbers spiral and we've to lockdown again. Go back and listen to any radio, or read any media, at the start of december/end of november. Everyone was moaning and complaining they wanted a christmas. So they got it, and were told in advance it would lead to heavy lockdowns in 2021. Here are those lockdowns and the same people are still moaning. :rolleyes:

Advertisement