Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How would you rate the governments performance tackling Covid so far

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Sconsey

ixoy wrote: »
    For data submitted by the 19th, we were 19th in the world on vaccination rates and 11th in the world for total vaccinations. That can't be a disgrace by anyone's estimation.

As of Feb 16th we have been adminstering more doses per day than, the aparent gold standard, Denmark. They have a larger population than us too mind.
    Still aparently we are a disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

The coward is coming out of his cave

https://twitter.com/SeanDefoe/status/1364193526184108035

Expect Leo the Influencer to issue contradictory statements tomorrow

Meanwhile Eamon will have that "are those my feet?" look on his face

And Donnelly will, as ever, be obnoxiously arrogant without any of the intelligence to back it up

0hQyd5L.gif

Disasterous.

Unrestricted Travel has obviously been the biggest blunder.

But the reoccurring lack of enforcment on just about everything has been the real clincher for me.

Living with covid was always going to be a struggle when we were importing new viruses and variants into the country on a daily basis, but any little hope it had of succeeding was contingent on the rules put in place being followed and enforced.

Maybe the guards can take some blame for that as well, but the buck ultimately stops with the goverment.

After all, people cannot be trusted to follow the guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

But the reoccurring lack of enforcment on just about everything has been the real clincher for me.

Maybe the guards can take some blame for that as well, but the buck ultimately stops with the goverment.

You don't attach any blame to the people whose actions actually spread the virus?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

First Up wrote: »
    You don't attach any blame to the people whose actions actually spread the virus?

Of course. But that's a separate issue. Ive come to the acceptance there is a percentile of scumbags in every country. It's up to the goverment to protect us from them. Ours failed to do so, they failed to legislate and failed to enforce any existing legislation.

All I have heard from our goverment is "personal responsibility, personal responsibility"" - which is their way of absolving themselves from any blame and shifting the onus on to us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Apologies if this has already been covered (I didn't read all of the thread).

Are the government giving any reasons as to why our vaccine roll-out is so incredibly slow?
    Surely it makes sense to throw money and resources at this to get us out of lock-down quicker, which is repaid by an economy that is open earlier and removing the need for continued PUP?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭timmyntc

BraveDonut wrote: »

Are the government giving any reasons as to why our vaccine roll-out is so incredibly slow?
    Surely it makes sense to throw money and resources at this to get us out of lock-down quicker, which is repaid by an economy that is open earlier and removing the need for continued PUP?

The vaccine roll-out is actually not nearly as bad as people seem to think. Per capita we are one of the best in Europe for doses administered.

Unlink the UK there is more of an emphasis here on the 2 doses, UK went big on 1 dose first. 25% of people in the UK have 1 dose, but something very low like 5%? have 2, whereas we have a higher proportion with 2 doses.

Of course. But that's a separate issue. Ive come to the acceptance there is a percentile of scumbags in every country. It's up to the goverment to protect us from them. Ours failed to do so, they failed to legislate and failed to enforce any existing legislation.

All I have heard from our goverment is "personal responsibility, personal responsibility"" - which is their way of absolving themselves from any blame and shifting the onus on to us.

It is the entire issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

Aegir wrote: »
    My biggest criticism though, is that this pandemic has very clearly showed one thing. The government DO NOT run this country, it is run by a cabal of different quangos and civil servant departments, the HSE being the biggest. every question levelled at a minister, such as why the Mater didn't report cases in a timely manner, is met by "I have asked the HSE to provide an explanation".

An explanation that was given not to the democratically elected minister, it was given to the secretary general of the department of health, a leading civil servant on a cool €292,000 salary.

agree with alot of your post but this right here is 100% the reason why everything is a shambles in this government, in this pandemic. Im so surprised its not emphasised more by all the posters in here day in day out. The Government are NOT in control. they dont want to ACTUALLY be in control. They dont RESPONSIBILITY. They want to be the big leaders on the big money. The have the easiest job in the world as far as Im concerned, because everything they say and do is dictated by someone else, whether financially, health, legal etc. Its all advice thrown to them that they then are a middle man to tell us plebs what is happening. Its unbelievable that they get away with this but they do. And get paid quite handsomely for the trouble.

I would genuienly love to know where you get your information from? I am not having a go at you. There appears to be a whole cohort of people out there that have the same understanding as you. I wonder where that impression is coming from?

Anyway, read the previous page and this page...we are actually doing very well relative to most, in terms of vaccine rollout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

timmyntc wrote: »
    Unlink the UK there is more of an emphasis here on the 2 doses, UK went big on 1 dose first. 25% of people in the UK have 1 dose, but something very low like 5%? have 2, whereas we have a higher proportion with 2 doses.
    Our "higher proportion" who have both doses is about 2.7% though, right?

snowgal wrote: »
    agree with alot of your post but this right here is 100% the reason why everything is a shambles in this government, in this pandemic. Im so surprised its not emphasised more by all the posters in here day in day out. The Government are NOT in control. they dont want to ACTUALLY be in control. They dont RESPONSIBILITY. They want to be the big leaders on the big money. The have the easiest job in the world as far as Im concerned, because everything they say and do is dictated by someone else, whether financially, health, legal etc. Its all advice thrown to them that they then are a middle man to tell us plebs what is happening. Its unbelievable that they get away with this but they do. And get paid quite handsomely for the trouble.

I'm not exempting the government from criticism but until people get it through their thick heads that the only people who can stop the virus are the people who are spreading it, no government or police force and no medical system will stop it for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Millypain

Sconsey wrote: »
    I'd love to know what you would have done differently to improve the vaccine situation?

Would you have used your crystal ball last year and said 'nah EU we are going to go on our own with procurement of vaccines'? We're loaded we don't need your collective bargaining power.
    Would you have told the medical bodies responsible in approving the release of treatments to throw away all their rules and process and just approve everything?
    Would you really have figured it would have been a good idea to go on our own without the EU? Maybe Trump would have taken pity on us and thrown us a few supplies.

Please enlighten us....

Explain the logic of locking the Irish people in their homes or limiting them to 5km for essential travel while the airports and ports are open and allowing foreign people into the 32 counties of this island and do not mention isolation as it does not exist.
    Pressure shouls have been exerted on Pfizers to supply more doses of the vaccine as their in return for their taz exemption.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

As others have mentioned, including me, we're not. That's backed up by data too - https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations . If you, as I did, take the 19th as a reference point (it being the latest data for Ireland), we're in the Top 20 in the world and well ahead of the UK for the second dose.

We're rolling it out as fast as we can get our hands on the doses, which is constrained by the EU supply which itself is constrained by the ability of the manufacturers to produce it (there is an upper limit to what they can spit out and no, it's not easy to keep ramping it up).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭robbiezero

PintOfView wrote: »
    It feels like you're just trolling!!

Do you think it is spread less by people following restrictions?

And a 'no', without an explanation, will simply confirm you're trolling!!

The 6 or 7 hundred cases a day we are currently getting - I have no idea where they are coming from.
    Healthcare, construction, residential care, supermarkets, community, private homes etc. I have no idea, therefore I am not pronouncing that it is people breaking restrictions causing the cases, it might be, it might not be.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

hopefully it mehole resigning

Ficheall wrote: »
    Our "higher proportion" who have both doses is about 2.7% though, right?

I honestly cannot remember. All I know is that the 2 dose percentages are much closer between us and UK than single dose. The UK went all in on single dosing first and it seems to be paying off, if studies are to be believed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

We're rolling it out as fast as we can get our hands on the doses, which is constrained by the EU supply which itself is constrained by the ability of the manufacturers to produce it (there is an upper limit to what they can spit out and no, it's not easy to keep ramping it up).

I don't buy that Government press release at all...

I honestly cannot remember. All I know is that the 2 dose percentages are much closer between us and UK than single dose. The UK went all in on single dosing first and it seems to be paying off, if studies are to be believed.

The UK took that gamble on the 1 dose strategy, whereas in Ireland they're sitting on there hands waiting for enough vaccine to arrive for the 2nd dose before they move on with the programme... now the UK are leaving Ireland in their dust..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Yeah, ours are much closer, but I'm not sure we're ahead in either. Saw a graphic earlier today, but can't remember where.

But yes, the UK's vaccine strategy seems to be working so far.

• Advertisement

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    The UK took that gamble on the 1 dose strategy, whereas in Ireland they're sitting on there hands waiting for enough vaccine to arrive for the 2nd dose before they move on with the programme... now the UK are leaving Ireland in their dust..

The vaccines are being used as they arrive.

Millypain wrote: »
    Explain the logic of locking the Irish people in their homes or limiting them to 5km for essential travel while the airports and ports are open and allowing foreign people into the 32 counties of this island and do not mention isolation as it does not exist.
    Pressure shouls have been exerted on Pfizers to supply more doses of the vaccine as their in return for their taz exemption.

Lame attempt to deflect the question, what you said, and what I am questioning is:
    The worrying question s "Where the FCOK is the vaccine . Less than 250.000 Vaccinations in 7 weeks. A discrace by anyone's estimation
    nothing to do with lockdown or travel restrictions.

So your big idea is to 'put pressure on Pfizers' by bribing them? What a joke, sorry I wasted my time even asking wwhat you thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

agoodpunt wrote: »
    hopefully it mehole resigning

Zero chance of that

And to think, the rumours were Donnelly was being groomed to eventually replace him :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

It's grand. And if anyone mentions UK as a model how it should be done they clearly lost their memory or don't have a clue. UK is vaccinating well but before that their response was terrible.

Looking across EU there are better and worse approaches. Communication is poor but deaths and cases are not too bad and vaccinations are progressing nicely and hospital overcrowding didn't go on for too long. Just because people are bored at home doesn't mean it that there are some magic solutions.

The vaccines are being used as they arrive.

Government performance rating: Poor

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    I don't buy that Government press release at all...
    What press release are you on about? The vaccine supply is an EU-wide issue and widely reported upon.

On the 2nd dose, we're over twice the rate of the UK.

Ficheall wrote: »
    Yeah, ours are much closer, but I'm not sure we're ahead in either. Saw a graphic earlier today, but can't remember where.

But yes, the UK's vaccine strategy seems to be working so far.

Yes I think we saw the same - it definitely exists somewhere in this labyrinth of threads.

UK of course started earlier and approved earlier, and are all gung-ho to get it. Fair play to them. So its no surprise we are behind them. Other EU countries should really be the benchmark as we source common supply of vaccines(?) and all got approval at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The initial phase from March to July was quite mixed. Notable disappointments were the care homes and the test system. Even so the response was swift and we had clear if annoyingly frequent communication on it. The exit plan for it also worked well enough until we hit October. Then communications just fell apart everywhere and have yet to recover in a meaningful way. Christmas, of course, exceeded our worst nightmares and now in what's seems an interminable set of restrictions there is little hope we will get out of it anytime soon and even less hope someone will explain it clearly.

So my scores!

Phase 1 (up to October)
    Care Homes E- the same as everywhere else. So much better later in the year.
    Testing D - Did their best and eventually it came good.
    Communications B -hit the right tone, pop and movie references and all
    Strategy B - Rapid and decisive lockdown and clear exit plan

Phase 2 (up to October)
    Communications C and lower at times, often descended into lecturing people.
    Strategy C - it got very muddled

Phase 3 (October-Dec)
    Communications E None that one could guess at.
    Strategy E Bad political calls all over the place.

Phase 4 (from Jan 2021)
    Communications NG - enough said
    Strategy C It might actually be better than this if we knew what it was!
    Vaccinations B+ Nothing they can do about supply.

What press release are you on about? The vaccine supply is an EU-wide issue and widely reported upon.
    On the 2nd dose, we're over twice the rate of the UK.

The one you quoted?

Germany and Denmark are purchasing additional vaccines within the EU framework, Ireland isn't.
    Ireland could also work with the UK Government to purchase excess doses but isn't.

No ambition out of this Government at all!

Plenty could be done to increase supply and get Ireland out of lockdown quicker.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

I'd put money on history looking at the Irish managing of the pandemic as a good effort.

Irish love to blame the government for their lapse in social responsibility

Advertisement