Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How would you rate the governments performance tackling Covid so far

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I'd put money on history looking at the Irish managing of the pandemic as a good effort.

Irish love to blame the government for their lapse in social responsibility
    On balance it's been decent, this tail end of it though is testing people's trust in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭timmyntc

I'd put money on history looking at the Irish managing of the pandemic as a good effort.

Didnt we have one of the highest % of deaths in nursing homes EU wide?
    And also the toughest restrictions in the EU?

Stats like that dont reflect very well on the government, seems more like a balls up in protecting the vulnerable really.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

is_that_so wrote: »
    On balance it's been decent, this tail end of it though is testing people's trust in them.

I think a lot if anger aimed at government is just annoyance that we are still in this. It doesn't matter how it's communicated, extension of level 5 is depressing in any case.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

timmyntc wrote: »
    Didnt we have one of the highest % of deaths in nursing homes EU wide?
    And also the toughest restrictions in the EU?

Stats like that dont reflect very well on the government, seems more like a balls up in protecting the vulnerable really.

as a percentage of people in care homes, or as a percentage of covid deaths? two very different metrics

• Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭timmyntc

as a percentage of people in care homes, or as a percentage of covid deaths? two very different metrics

As a percentage of people in care homes, I'll see if I can dig up where I saw it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

timmyntc wrote: »
    As a percentage of people in care homes, I'll see if I can dig up where I saw it.

cool, I've articles stating the latter

• Registered Users Posts: 39,878 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well it’s been two governments(one a caretaker lead by Leo Varadkar but still a government) and the one lead by Michael Martin. I think it has to be seen through the eyes of what the two governments had to do. Leo Varadkar had a difficult announcement to make in March 2020, but there was a simple message to it. Everything was to shut down.

Michael Martin has had an admittedly more difficult road to navigate but the fact the road is more challenging doesn’t excuse the utter mess they have done of communicating their plans. They have done an awful job in that regard and I don’t take joy in saying that because it was always going to be more challenging but even I didn’t expect them to make as bad a mess as they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

Abysmal

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Overall damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Didn’t help that direction from bodies such as WHO was deeply flawed at the start of the Pandemic ie Mask wearing / travel / p2p transmission.

Didn't help we had health experts and politicians blindly following the WHOs advice on the above.

Didn't help the EU were making noises that countries couldn't close borders.

Didn't help that travel restrictions etc (while absolutely necessary) are a poisoned chalice

Didn't help we have some eejits who variously claim the virus didnt exist, that it doesn’t kill people or make them sick or it was all a big conspiracy

What is for sure is that the virus will be the figurative death of many politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

I think Fianna Fáil are going to come out of this very badly.
    Martin, Donnelly and Foley in particular have been abysmal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,250 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I felt Harris and Leo were doing better than Martin and Donnelly, felt confident somewhat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Popcorn is ready

Have I got the right link? https://www.rte.ie/news/player/live/7/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

We need to open up and get back to normal and we need to do it NOW!

Yes, let's pretend it isn't there and it might go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

We need to open up and get back to normal and we need to do it NOW! No masks no distancing everything open and no restrictions on personal freedom or travel either domestically or internationally right NOW!

And when you get to that foreign country with your "personal freedom" and they tell you have to wear a mask in public spaces both indoors and outside and that they're restrictions on what you can do / where you can go - what are you going to do then? Do a tantrum?

It will all come down to perceptions in the long run. There is no hard and fast rule on this.

We’re a sparsely populated island off an island, can we really say it was well managed compared to, for example Belgium or Slovakia?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The 'Living with Covid' plan reminds me of what Alan Dukes (FG) said about Irish Water.

"A glorious, god-awful mess has been made of Irish Water, we've ended up with a system now that no rational person would have invented if they had sat down to put this kind of system together. The hope must be that it will work lamely until some sort of coherent system is put in place."

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I felt Harris and Leo were doing better than Martin and Donnelly, felt confident somewhat

They were more assured.

Although I think Leo in particular has been an unhelpful problem with his undermining since stepping to the side.

The 'Living with Covid' plan reminds me of what Alan Dukes (FG) said about Irish Water.

"A glorious, god-awful mess has been made of Irish Water, we've ended up with a system now that no rational person would have invented if they had sat down to put this kind of system together. The hope must be that it will work lamely until some sort of coherent system is put in place."

Care to elaborate? Is there a transcript available that I can peruse?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Since September/October the communications have been atrocious.

There should be MAX 2 mouthpieces from the government on anything Covid related The Taoiseach and the Minister for health.

But instead we have The Taoiseach, Tanaiste, Minister for health, multiple NPHET members, other cabinet members and government party backbenchers all scrambling for air time so they can each try to get their names at the top of a headline. All they are doing is confusing and contradicting the issue at every turn and making people frustrated its an absolute joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

The big reveal...

The Living with Covid plan.... ermm... the same as the last couple of months: Level 5 until everyone's Vaccinated..

Well worth every €100k they are paid..

No international travel and don't get your hopes up for Christmas either..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    The UK took that gamble on the 1 dose strategy, whereas in Ireland they're sitting on there hands waiting for enough vaccine to arrive for the 2nd dose before they move on with the programme... now the UK are leaving Ireland in their dust..
    And if the flip of the coin landed on tails you'd be the first one saying the risk wasn't worth it and the UK are idiots.

You can't blame the government for not putting it all on Red like the Brits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Everyone that needed to be there at the briefing earlier was, but it looks like Donnelly wasn't invited?

Even his own Party doesn't like him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭lab man

I think Fianna Fáil are going to come out of this very badly.
    Martin, Donnelly and Foley in particular have been abysmal.

Donnelly has been rightly found out thank god always was a spoofed as the saying goes u dont know a clown till he opens his mouth

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    And if the flip of the coin landed on tails you'd be the first one saying the risk wasn't worth it and the UK are idiots. You can't blame the government for not putting it all on Red like the Brits.

Incorrect assumption. :rolleyes:

EU arranged the contracts and caused the delays.

Nothing to stop Government from trying to buy excess vaccines, or order outside the EU framework...Nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

82% of Boards posters think the government are doing a bad or very bad job. 10% think they are doing just ok. Interesting.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

82% of Boards posters think the government are doing a bad or very bad job. 10% think they are doing just ok. Interesting.

The resident Blueshirts will probably label them all Shinners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭barbara anne

Well I'm not happy with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    The big reveal...

The Living with Covid plan.... ermm... the same as the last couple of months: Level 5 until everyone's Vaccinated..

Well worth every €100k they are paid..

No international travel and don't get your hopes up for Christmas either..

Shouldn't be international travel until most of country vaccinated.
    Vaccine passports need brought in.
    People can of course decline to have vaccine. Countries free to decline them entry.
    Christmas will be grand this year.

That’s it. I’ve had enough. I DEMAND a General Election RIGHT NOW!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭PintOfView

robbiezero wrote: »
    The 6 or 7 hundred cases a day we are currently getting - I have no idea where they are coming from.
    Healthcare, construction, residential care, supermarkets, community, private homes etc. I have no idea, therefore I am not pronouncing that it is people breaking restrictions causing the cases, it might be, it might not be.

Ok, that's fair enough, although if the people in all those sectors were following their particular guidelines could we not expect things to stay under control?

In the absence of a clear view of exactly how it's spreading we can only go on the simple principle that the virus is not magic, and it does have to hop from person to person, and the simple measures of hand washing, masking and social distancing cut down the risk substantially.

When I think of restrictions I'm thinking as much about those things as much as travelling etc. The 5km limit also obviously helps limit the spread as, again, the virus doesn't waft from place to place through the air.

Advertisement