Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How would you rate the governments performance tackling Covid so far

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭ISOP

Michael Martin is the worst Taoiseach in the history of the state, even worse than Cowen and that takes some doing. Then to add insult to injury, Stephen Donnelly, massively unqualified, in a time of crisis, the minister for Health is one of the great ministries in any country and this clown is at the steering wheel. A complete charlatan and spoofer. Norma Foley in education, making a complete hames of it. the Irish political system is horrendous, like many countries, full of failed secondary school teachers and county councillors

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

ISOP wrote: »
    Michael Martin is the worst Taoiseach in the history of the state, even worse than Cowen and that takes some doing. Then to add insult to injury, Stephen Donnelly, massively unqualified, in a time of crisis, the minister for Health is one of the great ministries in any country and this clown is at the steering wheel. A complete charlatan and spoofer. Norma Foley in education, making a complete hames of it. the Irish political system is horrendous, like many countries, full of failed secondary school teachers and county councillors

Actually Donnelly as a former engineer and management consultant should be very well qualified to fulfill his brief. What Mr Donnelly is doing and consistently so, is massively underperforming and appears to have been caught up in the wave of his own ego and self importance. Fianna Failure is a perfect home for him and should be where his political career and any remaining semblance of credibility dies.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Incorrect assumption. :rolleyes:

EU arranged the contracts and caused the delays.

Nothing to stop Government from trying to buy excess vaccines, or order outside the EU framework...Nothing!
    Ah yes, Ireland should have mopped up all those excess vaccines the pharmaceutical companies are trying to offload. I'm sure every other country in the world won't be queuing up for those. Besides, what makes you think the Government hasn't tried to do this already?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭lab man

ISOP wrote: »

Fine Gael sitting back and letting off make fools of themselves and look what the sleeping beauty eamonn ryan done last with the limerick road they are killing themselves fine Gael will come into power for the 2 nd half of the tenure when all has sorted itself and will probably be in power after the next election or I can see them breaking the present government and go for a new election within 12 to 18 months

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

EmptyTree wrote: »
    Ah yes, Ireland should have mopped up all those excess vaccines the pharmaceutical companies are trying to offload. I'm sure every other country in the world won't be queuing up for those. Besides, what makes you think the Government hasn't tried to do this already?

They haven't.

Every day these Vaccines don't get into arms is costing lives.

• Advertisement

This has been the Government's only "Positive" news on what will happen after the crisis is under control..

Distract them with Booze!

https://twitter.com/GabrielScally/status/1363581099394420736

• Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

EmptyTree wrote: »
    Besides, what makes you think the Government hasn't tried to do this already?

Its probably the fact that this government has been completely incompetent throughout this entire pandemic. Thats probably why they think it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,080 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

This has been the Government's only "Positive" news on what will happen after the crisis is under control..

Fascinating how this gets announced just as pay is due to go up for TDs isn't it?

Interesting fact, more people have died of COVID in the last 12 months than have died in the 25 years of the troubles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭uli84

Hopeless is the word and they made me hopeless too

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It is odd but more likely that Justice are working on it and they thought it would be nice to share it! Scally's welcome has long expired and he's fast becoming a zealous medical crank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

is_that_so wrote: »
    It is odd but more likely that Justice are working on it and they thought it would be nice to share it! Scally's welcome has long expired and he's fast becoming a zealous medical crank.

So fed up with him and the college of physicians nanny state anti fun agenda

Great interview by Leo Varadkar on Morning Ireland this morning. Softly, softly is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The neck on him saying that - in his eyes it's like the state is force feeding people alcohool!

hasn't he ever heard of a thing called free will or personal choices! nonce

timmyntc wrote: »
    The neck on him saying that - in his eyes it's like the state is force feeding people alcohool!

hasn't he ever heard of a thing called free will or personal choices! nonce

Its the college of physicians standard way of misrepresenting the alcohol issue, they are the driving force behind the nanny state minimum unit pricing

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭blackvalley

Would be great if ALL the various ministers fffuched off into their offices and did the job they are paid for instead of waffling to the media at every opportunity . Each one seems to be a media hoor who cant resist the lure of a microphone yet when confronted cannot directly answer a question.
    Then of course we have all the " sources close to the Government " spinning and kite flying on every subject.
    What is wrong with having ONE government spokesperson or media department who speak with authority on behalf of government .
    Borderline rant there :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Do the FFG government understand anything about timing and optics (excuse the pun)? Or are they just pig ignorant?
    Their job is to earn our trust and respect but all they do is earn ridicule day in day out.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

It wasn't the government looking for a meaningful christmas, though. It was the citizens who effectively said "we're gonna have christmas whether you let us or not", and the govt. reacted accordingly.

People keep ignoring rules, then giving out when the numbers spiral and we've to lockdown again. Go back and listen to any radio, or read any media, at the start of december/end of november. Everyone was moaning and complaining they wanted a christmas. So they got it, and were told in advance it would lead to heavy lockdowns in 2021. Here are those lockdowns and the same people are still moaning. :rolleyes:

This. People have short memories. And now again we have those who were screaming for rollback of restrictions for Christmas doing the exact same thing again.

Its all too easy to say that absolutely everything is the gubbermints vault whilst insisting on our our god given right to fly off to Playa del Tontos or wherever and fuk the consequences for everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

gozunda wrote: »
    This. People have short memories. And now again we have those who were screaming for rollback of restrictions for Christmas doing the exact same thing again.

Its all too easy to say that absolutely everything is the gubbermints vault whilst insisting on our our god given right to fly off to Playa del Tontos or wherever and fuk the consequences for everyone else.

I knew what was going to happen after Christmas along with a lot of other people. I hoped the government would stand strong and keep restrictions over Christmas and that might of meant I would be returning to work next week.
    So in my case they bottled it so 100% there fault in my case.

It is odd but more likely that Justice are working on it and they thought it would be nice to share it!

Are you serious? In the middle of the highest level of lockdown in the country where bars have been closed for 12 months, you think that a senior government minister going on national Tv to wave a carrot in front of the masses is "being nice?"

Do the FFG government understand anything about timing and optics (excuse the pun)? Or are they just pig ignorant?
    Their job is to earn our trust and respect but all they do is earn ridicule day in day out.

They’re showing that they’re working away with normal government business. The whole business world didn’t grind to a halt because of the pandemic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Are you serious? In the middle of the highest level of lockdown in the country where bars have been closed for 12 months, you think that a senior government minister going on national Tv to wave a carrot in front of the masses is "being nice?"
    Well it's been around for at least a day or two, most probably originally a press release. I see nothing wrong with announcing something that needs to be done, even if the timing looks poor. On might argue it's a perfect time as none of them are open. Even so, unlike you I read the story, thought it was interesting and moved on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

They’re showing that they’re working away with normal government business. The whole business world didn’t grind to a halt because of the pandemic.

Mary, engage the brain and at least try and respond to the context.
    The pubs did grind to a halt. I was responding to this tweet.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Well it's been around for at a day or two, most probably originally a press release. I see nothing wrong with announcing something that needs to be done, even if the timing looks poor. On might argue it's a perfect time as none of them are open. Even so, unlike you I read the story, thought it was interesting and moved on.

To me it's a Dangling Carrot to distract the public and try keep them onboard with the top level lockdown.

This is Boards. Not Twitter.
    Fact remains that legislators are working away at their jobs. If they weren’t some would be giving out about them not earning their salaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

:confused:

I dont know who you are working for.

Perhaps not the 'whole business world' has ground to a halt but for certain a heck of a lot of the real Irish SME business world has.

0lddog wrote: »
    :confused:

I dont know who you are working for.

Perhaps not the 'whole business world' has ground to a halt but for certain a heck of a lot of the real Irish SME business world has.

True. Especially in hospitality. The government are just showing that it’s pretty much business as usual, with new legislation being discussed.

FYI, I’m retired since Dec 31st.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

True. Especially in hospitality......

and
    Especially Construction
    and
    Especially Retail
    and
    Especially .... and Especially....and Especially..... ( when did you last get your hair done ? )

That Merrion St appears to be business as usual kind of illustrates how insulated and out of touch they are with the country
    FYI, I’m retired since Dec 31st.
    Pension OK ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

It wasn't the government looking for a meaningful christmas, though. It was the citizens who effectively said "we're gonna have christmas whether you let us or not", and the govt. reacted accordingly.

People keep ignoring rules, then giving out when the numbers spiral and we've to lockdown again. Go back and listen to any radio, or read any media, at the start of december/end of november. Everyone was moaning and complaining they wanted a christmas. So they got it, and were told in advance it would lead to heavy lockdowns in 2021. Here are those lockdowns and the same people are still moaning. :rolleyes:

We wanted a Christmas. We didn't want a horde of entitled college boys and girls coming back from London where 1 in 30 people were infected and there was already talk of a more contagious new variant. Writing articles in the IT about their precious mental health.

I am delighted and proud that the government opened pubs and retail at Christmas, because pubs and retail were not a major vector for transmission. Idiots coming from London and attending Christmas dinner with 12 relatives was the cause of, as it now appears, 95% of transmission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

Does Gabriel Scally realise the demographic of regular nightclub goers? Can he provide info on how many people in their 20's suffer death or serious lasting damage from alcohol misuse?

Does he realise the current state of affairs are driving more people to alcohol dependence than a late nightclub ever will?

Another one using the pandemic to mess with our culture.

• Advertisement

Gabriel Scally and his other college of physician cronies would like nothing less than to see full on prohibition brought in, they have one single agenda and that is to demonise alcohol and misrepresent the facts of its consumption levels in Ireland.

Advertisement