Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smother

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Redjacketboy

saabsaab wrote: »
    Will there be a smother 2?

Yes saw it being filmed this week. It could literally go anywhere with the storyline

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

That was rubbish. They spent each episode on one potential killer and then in the end they find the love pad, a new mistress who conveniently leaves house door open and bloodied signed papers besides the morning coffee. Just before that Daughter's husband tells Val (whom else) that he was responsible for the fire. And just before that he was told he has weeks or something. You wouldn't need to watch the last 20/15 minutes to know exactly where that was going.

The biggest mystery of the series was how they managed to keep the cars so shiny and polished constantly driving around the country roads.

I'm going to guess that it's Elaine, she seems to appear everywhere but has never been suspected. I'm hoping that it's one of the main characters and they don't pull some obscure character that we aren't familiar with, I presume Jacob too young to be considered, I'm really enjoying it ,fingers crossed for a good ending.

Ahem...lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,697 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Coincidentally the last time I was in Lahinch, I also had food in the Rowan Tree in Ennis, at the same table that Val & Ned's missus were sitting at.

I had thought that
    Ruaidhri would take the blame, but thought that he would take it for Callum. Elaine never crossed my mind tbh

Overall, I actually enjoyed the storyline and the second guessing so many characters. Loved the Clare scenery and locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,550 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Not the greatest series I ever watched but the reveal was pretty well done. Better than what I had expected

• Advertisement

It was bonkers with dreadful acting but I loved it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Is there a petrol station in Lahinch that's open at midnight?
    I live in another tourist town and you can't get a pack of fags after 11pm (except the pubs but that option is gone now as well).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,180 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Is there a petrol station in Lahinch that's open at midnight?
    I live in another tourist town and you can't get a pack of fags after 11pm (except the pubs but that option is gone now as well).

I came here to post very same thing.
    It must be very cosmopolitan in rural Clare.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Many thoughts on tonight's episode. But the over-riding one was:

THAT FUC*ING JUMPER.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,595 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Many thoughts on tonight's episode. But the over-riding one was:

THAT FUC*ING JUMPER.

Did the purposely style her awfully?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Caprica

I really enjoyed the show. A nice who done it but maybe a little rush towards the end. I never thought it was going to be Elaine. Not sure where it can go for season 2. I thought Derval Kirwan was very good.

I thought Clare and Lahinch looked great.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭The_Dave

meeeeh wrote: »
    The biggest mystery of the series was how they managed to keep the cars so shiny and polished constantly driving around the country roads.
    The biggest mystery is who these people are. After the first one or 2 episodes I wasn't sure all 3 of the girls were both Val's and Denis's, but then saw the family tree posted showing they were. Then last night Cruella shows up and says Val took the girls from her, WTF does that mean:eek::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Did the purposely style her awfully?

I assume so. And I can't imagine that style going down very well in Singapore.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

The_Dave wrote: »
    The biggest mystery is who these people are. After the first one or 2 episodes I wasn't sure all 3 of the girls were both Val's and Denis's, but then saw the family tree posted showing they were. Then last night Cruella shows up and says Val took the girls from her, WTF does that mean:eek::confused:

The screenplay was all over the place. With little story lines that nowhere, suicide attempts and mental illnesses that were dealt with in a few days, affair that was started so the papers would be signed. I'm not sure but somewhere it was mentioned that they just arrived and Rory was tired from the trip and that's when Denis was told about the papers. So a few days to shag Elaine and get the papers signed. The solicitor who dealt with the will straight away, a mystery Lahinch oncologist who gave exact predictions to Rory how long he has left in middle of it all. Elaine camping in the love pad like no one will ever realize who owned it and that son in law's ex is living in there.

I love a good 'who done it' but they just piled more and more nonsense into the story line to confuse everything. In the last part they went you thought it was x, y or z but no because we didn't tell you about the pad or the affair.

Jut to add there was nothing wrong with the jumper.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,092 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The biggest mystery is who these people are. After the first one or 2 episodes I wasn't sure all 3 of the girls were both Val's and Denis's, but then saw the family tree posted showing they were. mean:eek::confused:

In Denis's party speech at the start of the first episode, he mentioned how they each brought 1 daughter to the marriage and then had Grace as their own.

In Denis's party speech at the start of the first episode, he mentioned how they each brought 1 daughter to the marriage and then had Grace as their own.
    The family tree doesn't read that way though. It's one of the mainy unclear elements that irked me greatly

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

The family tree doesn't read that way though. It's one of the mainy unclear elements that irked me greatly

It does . Denis was Annas father , Val was Jennys mother and they were both parents to Grace .

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    It does . Denis was Annas father , Val was Jennys mother and they were both parents to Grace .
    As a non-expert in reading them, I read it as all three were theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Biggest mystery for me is why didnt Val offer to sell her fancy Volvo instead of getting her boyf to bail her daughter out

Biggest mystery for me is why didnt Val offer to sell her fancy Volvo instead of getting her boyf to bail her daughter out
    Or what he saw in her:D

• Advertisement

Denis had a real taste for a certain type of woman, didn't he:rolleyes: Or maybe we only knew about the weird ones

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭8mv

Fitz* wrote: »
    Coincidentally the last time I was in Lahinch, I also had food in the Rowan Tree in Ennis, at the same table that Val & Ned's missus were sitting at.

I had thought that
    Ruaidhri would take the blame, but thought that he would take it for Callum. Elaine never crossed my mind tbh

Overall, I actually enjoyed the storyline and the second guessing so many characters. Loved the Clare scenery and locations.

Well spotted. I hadn't noticed when watching. The Rowan Tree is one of my favourite restaurants in Ennis

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Or what he saw in her:D

I thought the opposite ! What did she see in him a moody self absorbed man

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mcw100

Where is the church for the funeral? Also karl's house? Think I've the rest figured out.

Crematorium in Shannon

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I thought the opposite ! What did she see in him a moody self absorbed man
    Her and the 3 f*cked up kids, I would say she's the self-absorbed one, sure didn't Carl say as much when breaking it off. Dodged a bullet there (if this was real life:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

Can anyone explain Alannah and Ned to me ? I know we saw Ned fleetingly at the party.
    The conversation last night in the restaurant where Val took the 'girls' etc from Alannah ?
    I know they were best friends previously and Alannah and Denis had an affair.
    Watched it twice last night and still confused.
    Didn't see Elaine being the culprit and certainly wouldn't have herself and Denis together down in Spanish Cove or whatever's its called.
    And seriously though, Denny man taking the blame. Bonkers. Another Val plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭ax530

I still dont know all the characters names, so is the thinking that Val is not Annas mother ? and that the mom from young offenders is her real mother ? That why she was saying took the girls from me ?
    I understood she was Vals friend who Denis had an affair with at some stage and she has lots of money to invest in things.
    What was the point of the Carrie Crowley character ? could it be that they needed a few 'big names' to get RTE on board ?
    Plenty of lies to uncover in another series guess that the point of all the twists and turns. But cant see myself watching season 2

• Registered Users Posts: 18,605 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I didn't get that Denis and Elaine had a fling.
    Was it not that he was getting her to sign away her right to her sons, and blackmailing her to do so, by threatening her with lies about her alcoholism?
    And that Spanish Bluff was merely a meeting point for them, but a love nest for his previous women.

Eitherway, what an absolutely twat to leave the blood stained letter in the house. And the house unlocked?
    Not the sharpest tool by a long shot, all the alcohol definitely did a lot of damage to her thinking.
    And what a coincidence that she would happen to show up at the house at the same time as Val.

I still enjoyed the show, but goodness me, what shady characters.
    So many layers, so much deceit.
    You couldn't write it!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

Elaine did say to Val at some stage that 'I thought he loved me' so there certainly was an affair, hard to gauge on the length but Elaine did say it took a long long time for Denis to convince her sign, so he obviously wined, dined and the rest !!

• Advertisement

I enjoyed it but very difficult to follow up all the different relationships.

I'm going to guess that Vals ex is the new baby's dad, why else would he help her out with the 100k, makes no sense imo.

Denis must have been some man, that bedside drawer was full. Lol

Advertisement