Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smother

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I enjoyed it but very difficult to follow up all the different relationships.

I'm going to guess that Vals ex is the new baby's dad, why else would he help her out with the 100k, makes no sense imo.

Denis must have been some man, that bedside drawer was full. Lol

New baby is a result of IVF.
    Jenny was formerly married to Kevin McGahern's character Michael. They'd had an unsuccessful fertility journey as a married couple, and had a saved embryo.
    They split, who knows why, and she used the embryo without his consent to have a premature but very healthy looking baba.
    Val's ex boyfriend giving the money then breaking up with her, makes no sense. Likewise him being Danish and teaching over here.

Also, Joe, Grace's ex buachaill, he was introduced as a detective in 1st episode. *
    Missed opportunity not having him investigate the death of Denis the menace.

Definitely they are the most unscrupulous dishonest unlikeable people ever.
    But I'd probably watch another season just to see the repercussions, once it's not too confusing.

*I watched it again as felt I'd missed out.
    Ned is featured beside Alanna for about 7½ seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

^^^ I'd actually watch a prequel to Smother.
    We could write it, anyone want to help me write a script?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Is there definitely a second season on the cards? Don't seem to see any Info online

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Thought it was a bit unusual the local guard was handling a murder investigation on his own.

He also seemed to accept that tumor man was the killer just based on him coming in with a bloody letter and admitting to it.

Surely you would need to have your partner with you to give consent for the embryo to be used so someone must have either impersonated her ex or she didn't use the embryo at all, I still think there's more to the 100k that just helping her out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Is there definitely a second season on the cards? Don't seem to see any Info online

Yeah saw an article saying there was definitely a second series.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

An unusual ploy, but an effective one. The Gardai should use this in real life.

"Did you kill him?"
    "No."

"Did YOU kill him?"
    "No."

"Did YOU kill him?"
    "Yes."
    "Bingo, knew it."

• Registered Users Posts: 13,172 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I agree with a previous poster that the house was obviously a shag pad for Denis, I'd say that's why Alannah knew where it was immediately.
    I still don't get what she meant about taking the girls away.
    Was Elaine living in Lahinch all along? Again, with the timeline..was Denis leading her on for some time anyway and then the Singapore 4 arrive home for the 50th birthday and coincidentally, Anna asks him to convince Elaine to sign the custody papers not knowing she is her dad's bit on side?

Actually..Could we get one on the writers or cast to do an AMA :D

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Piehead

That endless fn whispering from Val. Did it do anyone else’s nut in?

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

Piehead wrote: »

As I said in an earlier post, I'd push her off the feckin cliff is she doesn't speak up .
    So to continue trying to get the facts (in this fictional tv drama :rolleyes:) Val said she had Jenny when she was 17 in London but then Denis came along as her savior slightly later ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Piehead wrote: »

Had to turn on the subtitles from the first episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,172 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

As I said in an earlier post, I'd push her off the feckin cliff is she doesn't speak up .
    So to continue trying to get the facts (in this fictional tv drama :rolleyes:) Val said she had Jenny when she was 17 in London but then Denis came along as her savior slightly later ??

Yes, she was a single mother in London then met Denis and married him and he raised Jenny as his daughter.

To thine own self be true

Yes, she was a single mother in London then met Denis and married him and he raised Jenny as his daughter.

Good stuff. Of course Jenny didn't get what she had hoped in the will hence the comment along the lines of "he never loved me like the other 2...."
    Still struggling with Alannah and Denis and her comment to Val re taking the girls from me etc :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

Struggled through this, but I won't be back for any second series. It was awful and full of dislikable characters.

Watched Line of Duty afterwards and it's just television on a different level altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,915 ✭✭✭Xander10

gmisk wrote: »
    Why would she turn herself in to save Callum?!?
    He doesn't need saving there is absolutely zero evidence he did anything.....this is awful....worse than a scooby doo episode...with scrappy doo in it!

True, and why couldn't the family, then helping her, just destroy any incriminating evidence, instead of leaving the boys to believe their Dad killed their granddad?

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

Watched the last episode this morning. I thought this was a very convoluted, complicated and rushed script. I always thought the first rule in writing a story is to introduce your characters/relationships very early to the viewer/reader. This doesn't seem to have been done. From the start I didn't know who was who or what was what. Too many ridiculous scenarios, too many secrets and mysteries. The door to every house was unlocked, except the house with the fire of course. Only one guard questioning everyone, surely that can't be right. Questioning an underage teenager without the parent is also wrong. Dennis' business didn't feature very much and all we knew was that he had invested in a venture and had run out of money. If Val was supposed to be the protagonist I felt I couldn't trust her. Everyone looked like the villain. I couldn't warm to any one of the characters. Diction wasn't great in many cases and I had to replay several times to catch what was said. I suggest this series be called Series 2. Series 1 should have been made explaining the lead-up to everything that we already know now.

After all that criticism I have to say the series was good enough to keep everyone riveted week by week, including me, and I haven't watched any series in full on RTE for many years, so full marks for that. The bonus for me was that it produced this fabulous thread on Boards which is the most entertaining one I've read in a long time. Thank you one and all for a great few weeks. On foot of that, let's look forward to the next, hopefully, better, series.

Fair synopsis @Jellybaby_1 and I agree 100%. Hard to warm to anyone particularly Val and she didn't portray the victim to keep her as a suspect I suppose. Maybe the plan was to keep us guessing and intrigued with lots of unexplained threads to make series 2 more appealing ? Anyway, I sort of enjoyed it, watched every episode and will watch series 2 if there is one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭threetrees

I enjoyed it, didn't guess it'd be the mad one and I liked that Rory took the blame to tie things up with it being an accident. But then again, the twist in the plot that Elaine left Denis there to die completely negates that logic.

The biggest lasting impression I have is that Val clocks up a lot of mileage looking after her family. Jeez the woman was never off the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,369 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

threetrees wrote: »

The biggest lasting impression I have is that Val clocks up a lot of mileage looking after her family. Jeez the woman was never off the road.

That's probably why there seems to be a 24 hour petrol station in Lahinch. She keeps them in business topping up.

Anyone else watching Penance which started on VM1 on Monday night? Same writer - Kate O'Riordan!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Watched all the episodes. Really enjoyed it. We all thought it was good in our house. They are filming the second series at the moment. Saw them a few days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭The_Dave

That's probably why there seems to be a 24 hour petrol station in Lahinch. She keeps them in business topping up.
    Her and Calum, with his lucozade and fags

• Registered Users Posts: 29,510 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Only catching up with it now... interesting but as with most of these miniseries stretched out into too many episodes so they have to throw in side plots etc and unnecessary characters.

Was there any point to Grace's ex being a detective or did I take that up wrong...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭The_Dave

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Was there any point to Grace's ex being a detective or did I take that up wrong...
    No point I could see, other than as another misdirection as to the killer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

Lacked a shot of coitus, all it needed was Dervla to tog off for a minute or two and or another shot of it from another actress and it would have broke records.

Had to turn on the subtitles from the first episode.

Where did you get those? I didn’t see any when I looked.

This wasn’t that bad, acting, direction and cinematography were fine. Crime shows where the detective and therefore the detection isn’t front and foremost leave me a bit cold though. It’s just a drama about a family really. And the information we needed to know the killer was revealed just before the killer was revealed.

Still that’s just a personal preference. Lots of people are happy to watch crime shows without the need to solve them.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

This wasn’t that bad, acting, direction and cinematography were fine. Crime shows where the detective and therefore the detection isn’t front and foremost leave me a bit cold though. It’s just a drama about a family really. And the information we needed to know the killer was revealed just before the killer was revealed.

Still that’s just a personal preference. Lots of people are happy to watch crime shows without the need to solve them.

Lots of great TV shows could be boiled down to this when you think about it. The Sopranos, Succession, Breaking Bad - all are about family at the end of the day.

Not that I'm comparing Smother these shows, but I enjoyed that it wasn't just a straightforward crime procedural show and had the family at its heart.

Standard option on the Virgin Horizon box, or most set top boxes.

How do you get your TV signal?

Standard option on the Virgin Horizon box, or most set top boxes.

How do you get your TV signal?

Vodafone TV. There was no option for subtitles there, and the system does allow it if available. It was hard to hear occasionally.

• Advertisement

Vodafone TV. There was no option for subtitles there, and the system does allow it if available. It was hard to hear occasionally.

You should get onto Vodafone so. It looks like RTE are providing the subtitles, given that they appearing on Virgin, so it might be a Vodafone issue. Almost all programming on RTE is subtitled these days.

Advertisement