Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smother

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭The_Dave

Too obvious....Is PEDO Irish for Paedo.....or is that a really bad school....:P.....
    I think you're overestimating the youth of today, who grew up with txt spk:rolleyes:(and predictive text:o)

• Registered Users Posts: 86,243 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Who was the father of Grace's aborted baby, her father or uncle?

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    For me, I find a lot of the links are left unsaid and we have to use our imagination, that being another example

• Registered Users Posts: 8,614 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

A pattern emerging. Lean towards a major suspect at the end of each week, make the next episode all about them then effectively clear them.
    First Grace, then Karl and Jacob next week. Dennis' brother next week.

I still reckon it's Val and she was the one to send the information on Karl to the Gardai. All about protecting the family and her property innit.

And is the boy from Lamb ever going to find that 100k?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭crossman47

I like a good whodunnit but this isn't it. Too much is left unclear and half the dialogue can't be deciphered.

• Advertisement

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    A pattern emerging. Lean towards a major suspect at the end of each week, make the next episode all about them then effectively clear them.

I still reckon it's Val and she was the one to send the information on Karl to the Gardai. All about protecting the family and her property innit.

If it is VAal, then why does she keep seeing the scenarios of the people she suspects doing it, unless they're going for dissociative identity disorder

The_Dave wrote: »
    If it is VAal, then why does she keep seeing the scenarios of the people she suspects doing it, unless they're going for dissociative identity disorder

Is it her seeing it or the director displaying it for us?

All an act for her I believe and her reactions meant to throw us off. She has the motive and means and we're slowly eliminating suspects. Karl went out for a run on the night of the murder so where was Val then?

And yeah, it's all guess work, could easily be some unexpected character like Jacob's real mum? Keeping us chatting so some success for the show at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭MfMan

Poor auld Dervla had it tough last night. First off, her boyfriend is hauled off by the Plod for something he didn't do (maybe). Later, he gets the red card when they visit the school. In the meantime, she tries to convince her newly-sensible daughter that Denis wasn't bumped off (literally). Her car is targeted. She discovers Karl deleted his FitBit movements from the phone which leads to another row. When she goes home, she finds out her son-in-law fell or was pushed and her daughter is back on the fags. (What was he doing, going out getting drunk, and his father-in-law not yet cold?) The next day she has an altercation with a local type for being snooty and having a grandson who's out of control. Finally, she discovers a mix-up with jackets that explains why she rubbed out the wrong guy (again maybe).

Meanwhile, no mention at all of funeral arrangements. What kind of people are they?

MfMan wrote: »
    She discovers Karl deleted his FitBit movements from the phone which leads to another row.
    Twas Calum who deleted his Strava or whatever it was from his phone, Carl printed out his movements to show Val

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Was it not the young Garda fellah who is now going out with her best friend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

TBH i'wouldnt rule any of them out yet.....

• Registered Users Posts: 86,243 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Was it not the young Garda fellah who is now going out with her best friend?

I thought it was her father :o

I thought it was her father :o
    That's what I was saying, all of these relationships, none of us know for sure what the exact linkages are. Are the 3 girls all Denis and Val's; again we're not sure. I thought that only the mad one was theirs and the 2 older girls were children from other relationships.

I'm still baffled how long the short-haired girl has been acting as mother to Calum and the other child, seems like it could be for rather a long time, but who knows:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

The_Dave wrote: »
    That's what I was saying, all of these relationships, none of us know for sure what the exact linkages are. Are the 3 girls all Denis and Val's; again we're not sure. I thought that only the mad one was theirs and the 2 older girls were children from other relationships.

I'm still baffled how long the short-haired girl has been acting as mother to Calum and the other child, seems like it could be for rather a long time, but who knows:confused:

^^^
    I agree.
    Had they cast older actors to play Val and dead man (whose name escapes me), the storyline re: ages of adult children, relationships of grandchildren with their Bord Bia Daddy, real mam/step mam, might be easier to understand.
    It's like everyone had their babies as late teens, and history repeated itself for the next generation.

Although I'm still enjoying it, I find the acting fairly good, I just wish the casting felt more realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Highlight of the episode for me was the local parent taking Val to task, good to see the Clare woman putting the posh Dub in her place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Highlight of the episode for me was the local parent taking Val to task, good to see the Clare woman putting the posh Dub in her place.

Not fond of big city notions!

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

"You're only a blow in...":D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Have to say it's a bit unusual to have a series without a single character that's even vaguely likeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,369 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

ollaetta wrote: »
    Have to say it's a bit unusual to have a series without a single character that's even vaguely likeable.

True. When the new baby arrives he'll probably be called Damien.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,525 ✭✭✭✭walshb

All them are so grey and dreary!

The crap weather doesn’t help either.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

walshb wrote: »

Yeh what a waste of Lahinch ! If they filmed in the summer it would have promoted it

^^^
    I agree.
    Had they cast older actors to play Val and dead man (whose name escapes me), the storyline re: ages of adult children, relationships of grandchildren with their Bord Bia Daddy, real mam/step mam, might be easier to understand.
    It's like everyone had their babies as late teens, and history repeated itself for the next generation.

Although I'm still enjoying it, I find the acting fairly good, I just wish the casting felt more realistic.

Which parts in particular? The dark-haired daughter (Anna) is the second wife of Rory so could have taken over the role in her mid-20s or at 30 (her current age).
    Deervla Kirwan would have had all the daughters young (circa 19-21) which is unlikely but possible. In the series Val is 50 and the daughters are probably all supposed to be in their late 20s, which to me they all pass for.

Ingrid, Mairead, Karl, Jacob?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Which parts in particular? The dark-haired daughter (Anna) is the second wife of Rory so could have taken over the role in her mid-20s or at 30 (her current age).
    Deervla Kirwan would have had all the daughters young (circa 19-21) which is unlikely but possible. In the series Val is 50 and the daughters are probably all supposed to be in their late 20s, which to me they all pass for.

A couple of things threw me in the first episode. The three "sisters" all look the same age, where you'd expect the other two to look significantly older than Grace, the child from the subsequent marriage.
    Anna looks a lot younger than Rory, who in turn looks way younger than his ex. She appears a whole generation older than Anna who now has stepkids who look like younger brothers.
    I also assumed Val's sister was actually her mother until we saw different.

That may all boil down to Dervla Kirwan and actress playing Anna both looking younger than their years, so they wouldn't be too bothered by this!

A couple of things threw me in the first episode. The three "sisters" all look the same age, where you'd expect the other two to look significantly older than Grace, the child from the subsequent marriage.
    Anna looks a lot younger than Rory, who in turn looks way younger than his ex. She appears a whole generation older than Anna who now has stepkids who look like younger brothers.
    I also assumed Val's sister was actually her mother until we saw different.

That may all boil down to Dervla Kirwan and actress playing Anna both looking younger than their years, so they wouldn't be too bothered by this!

Aged between 30 and 33, not that unusual but it meant Val was in a hurry. The actresses playing the sisters are younger than two of the Derry Girls and 3 years oldeer than the other two.

Anna is 18 years younger than Rory. Nothing unusual there, second marriage, younger wife.

And who is Val's sister? Is that Mairead in the cafe? She's 7 years older than DK.

Maybe it's just me but I see no issue with the ages and I assume the sisters are playing younger than their age. Mid-20s to a 50 year old mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Ingrid, Mairead, Karl, Jacob?

Ok, I'm probably doing Ingrid and maybe Jacob down but that's about it for me. If all the so called major characters fell off your man's cliff I wouldn't be too sorry after them.

I like the actors, but I think if perhaps Val's character was 60 versus 50.
    And the older 2 daughters mid 30s rather than 20s.

It just seems incredibly unrealistic that Anna as a very young woman would have met Rory, dated him (slowly, seeing as he had young children), married him, successfully taken on role of stepmother etc...and still be only 30?

Even for the 2 teenager boys to call Dennis grandad, would imply surely, that he was a long time in their lives.
    Just the timeline seems off.

Isn't that good though?
    The first episode they were all glam, best dresses on, made up etc...at Val's 50th.
    Then in an instant, their everyday, ordinary, make up free faces, dull clothing makes them more relatable to us all in our sitting rooms.

I'm moving to Lahinch, fëçk all covid down there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I guess it helps the Noir athmosphere. They don't want a 'Summer Bay' feel.

Advertisement