Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Become landlord but keep bills in my name

Options
  • 23-02-2021 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm moving and thinking of renting out the house I live in / own. Having read the issues people have had with non paying tenants, rent mounting up and no way to get them to leave etc I was wondering if I kept the gas & electric in my name, would it be a guard against a situation where a tenant would stay in the house without paying? If rent went into arrears I could just get the electric & gas cut off, ppl would hardly stay without heat or cooking facilities... is it a workable idea or is it against some law?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Disconnecting utilities with tenants in situ is illegal. Also if they're not going to pay the rent they're hardly going to pay utilities so you'll be further out of pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

If they stop paying the rent then I stop paying utilities, surely I cannot be expected to pay for the gas that they use, when they aren't paying rent? Can claim inability to pay... I wouldn't be disconnecting the utilities the ESB/Gas company would.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,516 ✭✭✭✭ted1

If they are in your name you are responsible. Put them in the tenants and change back when they live out.

If they don’t pay leave it to the utilities to chase

You can’t cut off their utilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Firblog wrote: »
    If rent went into arrears I could just get the electric & gas cut off, ppl would hardly stay without heat or cooking facilities... is it a workable idea or is it against some law?
    Not workable, and fairly sure it's against the law.

Also, whilst trying to evict them, they could put a 2000w electric radiator in every room and leave them on 24/7 - you'd end up footing a substanial bill. If the bill is in the tenants name, the bill goes with them when they leave. If the bill is in your name, the bill goes to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

If you put as much effort into finding good tenants as you do looking for creative ways to get them out then you will stand a better chance of achieving whatever business goals you have in this venture.

Plus like most things, when you try coming up with your own creative solutions, you will more than likely come a cropper by overlooking something important (like assuming responsibility for another persons fuel bills is probably gonna backfire as well as open you up to all sorts of legal risk if you start cutting people off).

• Advertisement

I don't know if I have explained this right

I'm talking about me paying the bills while tenants are in situ. I get a bill and pass it onto the tenants. If they stop paying the rent or the bills then I phone up the ESB / Gas company and say I'm not paying that last bill or any more bills so cut off supply. When they cut the supplies the tenants move out, I pay the bills again and everything is good.

I'd rather be caught for one/two months rent & bills than 12+ months rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Tenants have a right to choose their utility suppliers.

On this fact alone it’s a non starter.

km991148 wrote: »
    If you put as much effort into finding good tenants as you do looking for creative ways to get them out then you will stand a better chance of achieving whatever business goals you have in this venture.

The business goal is not to get shafted, the creative solution to get potential bad tenant out took a 1 second flash of inspiration / dumbassedness.

endacl wrote: »
    Tenants have a right to choose their utility suppliers.

On this fact alone it’s a non starter.

They can choose whatever supplier they want, just my name will be on the account..

They cannot choose the gas supplier, the whole estate is tied to calor gas.

The business goal is not to get shafted, the creative solution to get potential bad tenant out took a 1 second flash of inspiration / dumbassedness.

And your right to look at the risks before starting a business, but don't come up with mad stuff! Do things properly, get professionals where needed (agents and contracts etc), don't open yourself up to liabilities!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,606 ✭✭✭Treppen

I don't know if I have explained this right

I'm talking about me paying the bills while tenants are in situ. I get a bill and pass it onto the tenants. If they stop paying the rent or the bills then I phone up the ESB / Gas company and say I'm not paying that last bill or any more bills so cut off supply. When they cut the supplies the tenants move out, I pay the bills again and everything is good.

I'd rather be caught for one/two months rent & bills than 12+ months rent.

So your logic is if you stop paying the bills it'll make tenants, who refuse to pay rent, move out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Business goal is not too get shafted?

Well with what you are proposing you are going to shaft yourself!

Its a crazy idea for the reasons already given.

You need to comply with the law and get potential tenants very very carefully.

If you are not willing to comply with the RTA law, then do not become a landlord. Simple.

Treppen wrote: »
    So your logic is if you stop paying the bills it'll make tenants, who refuse to pay rent, move out?

Or force them to get the supply reconnected in their own name, leaving the ll with a bigger bill..

But I think enough people have had a go at the op now :pac:!

Good luck with it, but please don't do it this way!

Treppen wrote: »

That's it in a nutshell

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

That's it in a nutshell

How many ways do you want to hear it can’t work, won’t work, and would leave you with bigger and more expensive problems in the long run?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭elperello

There will also be the extra expense of disconnection and re-connection fees.

That's it in a nutshell

All that's gonna happen is you will screw up your own credit record/ ability to get supply while causing a minor inconvenience to the tenants (who just need to call up and claim they just moved in). It also takes months of unpaid bills to get a disconnection.

It probably opens you up to taxation issues as well as you are giving a benefit with the property and will also not look good in front of the prtb if they somehow became aware of this plan during any resolution process.

If they stop paying the rent then I stop paying utilities, surely I cannot be expected to pay for the gas that they use, when they aren't paying rent? Can claim inability to pay... I wouldn't be disconnecting the utilities the ESB/Gas company would.

If the bills are in your name you are expected to pay them. In case you missed it any of the times you've been told in this thread, you cannot leave tenants without light and heat. Try it and you're looking at a mega fine, illegal eviction can be up to 20k.

Like, you'd probably be better doing a classic crap landlord move and just turning up and turfing the dodgy tenants stuff out on the street. Probably just as illegal, but much less inconvenience!!

(Not advocating this at all btw :pac:)

Sorry folks the most logical reason not to do it was posted by endacl, tenants have a right to choose supplier, but that fails when there is no choice of supplier surely, as I'm not denying them the choice?

All other responses seem to think that I'd be open to huge bills being run up.. how? first sign of trouble, call the suppliers telling them I refuse to pay, what are they going to do? - cut off the supply. No power, no heat.

I could not be accused of cutting of the utilities, the proper people would have done it for non payment of bills. Ok be hit with reconnection fees etc, but month's deposit, month rent in advance, shouldn't be hit for too much lost rent hopefully.

I don't see any scenario where huge bills could be run up by the tenants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Firblog wrote:
    All other responses seem to think that I'd be open to huge bills being run up.. how? first sign of trouble, call the suppliers telling them I refuse to pay, what are they going to do? - cut off the supply. No power, no heat.

The tenants can just ring up the suppliers saying they've moved in to take over the supply.
    You'd be still liable for the outstanding amounts.

Think about it. If you bought and moved into a house that had outstanding energy bills from the previous owner, do you think you wouldn't be able to get any energy suppliers?

Plus if they are tenants and you have to register with the RTB, your not going to get away with any shenanigans.

Sorry folks the most logical reason not to do it was posted by endacl, tenants have a right to choose supplier, but that fails when there is no choice of supplier surely, as I'm not denying them the choice?

I could not be accused of cutting of the utilities, the proper people would have done it for non payment of bills. Ok be hit with reconnection fees etc, but month's deposit, month rent in advance, shouldn't be hit for too much lost rent hopefully.

They won't just come the next day and disconnect you on the basis that you say you are not going to pay? It takes months. Plus if they think anyone is in the property, they cannot just cut power without good reason (many months of non payment or engagement counts) AND as I said above, even if the supply was stopped in your name (as they won't physically disconnect) then the tennant just gets it back in their name and now you have two problems.

If you say you won't pay, they will laugh at you and wonder wtf is going on (and keep billing you).

I'm sorry, there are many reasons why this is terrible, and if you are trying to defend or pursue this plan from this point on then you are probably not ready to take on the responsibility of being a landlord (for your own good as well as anyone who signs a lease with you).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

Hi,

I'm moving and thinking of renting out the house I live in / own. Having read the issues people have had with non paying tenants, rent mounting up and no way to get them to leave etc I was wondering if I kept the gas & electric in my name, would it be a guard against a situation where a tenant would stay in the house without paying? If rent went into arrears I could just get the electric & gas cut off, ppl would hardly stay without heat or cooking facilities... is it a workable idea or is it against some law?

No, its not a workable idea, it is frankly a very bad idea, it will be a waste of your time and money, you are trying to skirt around the RTA and the RTB, forget it, you dont get to skirt around it, imo sell up or keep the house for yourself.
    If you go into arrears, listen to yourself, you're taking the mickey! ridiculous stuff.

You might be expected, dont expect anything, or expect the unexpected, and dont quote Airplane, its not funny to do so.

That's it in a nutshell

Nuts alright

How? as someone said, bar heaters in every room,

Seriously, wont you listen, you might not be able to cut off the utilities, you certainly cant tell the providers you wont pay, you will and more for it, you are in a contract, there is no section with a get out of jail free card if your tenants decide to run up bills, end of story.
    You are having a laugh, you think you can take something from the deposit for a bill you are contracted to pay??? that is in your name.

Read the RTA and read up on the RTB and all the landlord stories you can come across.
    You remind me of a person who was letting rooms but not staying in the house himself, I just overheard this guy stating, he was dipping his toe into the rental market to see what ti was like, there is no dipping your toe into it, you are either not in it or you are in the deep end,thats al there is to it it, there are no half measures.

Caranica wrote: »
    If the bills are in your name you are expected to pay them. In case you missed it any of the times you've been told in this thread, you cannot leave tenants without light and heat. Try it and you're looking at a mega fine, illegal eviction can be up to 20k.

I wouldn't be disconnecting them, I'd just be refusing to pay the bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Hi,

It's against the law and the tenant will take you to the cleaners. No way two ways about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

This is genius stuff. Did you draft your post in 2005 when Boards was launched and only get to post it tonight? Or have you posted on Boards.ie in error? Maybe Boards.DRC or Boards.VictorianBritain?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭1874

Oh, is that all, well doesnt sound very logical, you dont get to refuse to pay the bills, they will get the money off you in the end, somehow.
    Nothing makes sense about what you are suggesting, you even used the word logical, everything you have said is illogical, you cant get away with this and are creating a situation that would be worse than just doing it the right way from the outset.

I feel I'm witnessing the start of some kind of legendary thread in the making

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

In which case, The utilities will continue to supply the property.
    Have a look into the laws around utility disconnection.

Or, the tenant will just call them, tell them they’ve moved in and the bill will be in their name starting from scratch.

One of the most silly ideas I’ve heard for while, and that’s coming from a LL.

• Advertisement

You will still get a big bill via the RTB, tenants will claim they've paid you and lodge a case.

Sell sell sell, you're not cut out to be a landlord. Tenants have so much legal protection. And ultimately the keys to your 6 figure asset. .

I've plenty of nightmare stories to tell, paying off non paying tenants who did 5 figure damage just to get them out included. Selling was one of the happiest days of my life.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement