Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ivy problem

Options
  • 23-02-2021 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭

I have a massive problem with ivy which I am determined to fix this spring/summer.
    Most of it is legacy stuff, probably there 30/40 years some of it. It is growing in the grass, etc - that is the extent of the problem.
    I've a nice front hedge which has been overridden by it.
    Any thoughts on how best to tackle?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭looksee

My experience is that you can only do control - to some extent. Even if you dig out the hedge and dig up all the roots the ivy will grow again from any tiny bit left in the area, and that is obviously not a great solution anyway.

We have just been doing similar and have manually disentangled the ivy from the hedge, clipping it out and stripping it, going as far down the trunk as possible and cutting it off. It will grow again but once it is that far down you have a chance of keeping up with it, and it gives the hedge chance to recover.

The stuff in the grass you can pull up lengths of it and wet it(still attached to the main plant) with a systemic weedkiller. That would be better done later in the year though when it is actively growing. If you can do enough of it, frequently enough (couple of times a season) eventually you should discourage it to some extent.

There is a point of view that says leave it for wildlife, but honestly if it takes over enough all you have is an ivy garden, so I have no qualms about reducing it to manageable levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Thanks, yeah I am thinking I need to basically try to clip it out along the trunk and work at it from there.

The problem with the grass ivy is actually identifying the root of it, which might be in the neighbours garden even. So I guess it will just take a lot of persistence and effort. Oh well, there was me hoping for some Roundup equivalent to do the trick :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The roots are everywhere that the ivy is. There might be an old, main root elsewhere but as the ivy creeps it sends down roots all the way along the stems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

looksee wrote: »
    The roots are everywhere that the ivy is. There might be an old, main root elsewhere but as the ivy creeps it sends down roots all the way along the stems.

Yeah, I guess it'll be a case of trial and error to find the root one - keep pulling and cutting otherwise.

Advertisement