Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Renting land for daffodils

• 23-02-2021 2:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I have land up for rent.

A daffodil grower is interested and has tested soil and is happy.

Is there anything to watch out for that wouldn't be the case with renting to a dairy farmer?

Is it hard on soil?

Any help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Hi
    I have land up for rent.

A daffodil grower is interested and has tested soil and is happy.

Is there anything to watch out for that wouldn't be the case with renting to a dairy farmer?

Is it hard on soil?

Any help appreciated

I know nothing of daffodils... Just wondering are they like a spud crop in that the place would need to be destoned - so they could dig the daffodil bulbs up at some point?

Or maybe they have a different way of digging up the bulbs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Dont daffodils regrow each year, the stems get cut and the bulbs re-sprout for 5 or more years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Snotty wrote: »
    Dont daffodils regrow each year, the stems get cut and the bulbs re-sprout for 5 or more years?
    The other issue that I would be concerned with is that you would want a clause in the lease to ensure that all bulbs were removed/killed off when the lease is over. Daffodils are poisonous to cattle and you wouldn't want plants popping up all over grassland be it used for grazing or silage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭Red Sheds

The bulbs are the main crop as far as I know, the flowers are a by product, while they can be picked if labour is available and sold. The bulbs are normally harvested like potatoes and new crop replanted afterwards for the next season. I dont know much else but as Base said watch for the poisoning element, I guess no matter how well they are harvested, some till remain in the soil and re grow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Red Sheds wrote: »
    The bulbs are the main crop as far as I know, the flowers are a by product, while they can be picked if labour is available and sold. The bulbs are normally harvested like potatoes and new crop replanted afterwards for the next season. I dont know much else but as Base said watch for the poisoning element, I guess no matter how well they are harvested, some till remain in the soil and re grow.

Every day is a school day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Ensure the grass is resown at the end of the lease

Advertisement