Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disable Secure Boot vs disable MBR

Options
  • 23-02-2021 3:46pm

hi,

just a question regarding disabling secure boot in the BIOS. I have a older HP desktop and when I boot into the BIOS it is called the HP setup utility on this PC, I cant find anywhere I can disable secure boot. The closest option I can see is under 'Security' menu, where I have the option to disable the Master Boot Record Security. Would this be the same as disabling the secure boot?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

That sounds more like it doesn't have secure boot at all (depends on the age and OS it shipped with how likely or not this is). MBR is for "old" style bios booting from dos partitioned disks while Secure Boot is part of "new style" UEFI booting from GPT partitioned disks. Are you really sure secure boot is in place?

Im not sure, this is probably an older type PC, it has Windows 10. I will Google how to check if secure boot is on this PC.

it is unsupported, thanks for the reply

Advertisement