Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIII-231,484 ROI(4,610 deaths)116,197 NI (2,107 deaths)(23/03)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,411 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

41 days until 5th April, no optimism or plan in place at all, like when they had the vaccines sitting for days in fridges when they arrived first.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Renault 5 wrote: »
    Genuine Question.

Are you happy enough with the details of the plan now that it’s been released?

I think it's farcical. It doesn't change our situation though. This is really one of those things where we kind of have to do it independent of the government.
    I just disagree with that meaning we should try to revert to our normal lives as I fear that would be catastrophic.

The Taoiseach said March 5th for universal detention and the prohibition of business to begin to be eased.

If he is not able to deliver that, he should resign.

It's time to go, Taoiseach. You've lost the plot, and you've now lost the people.

Faugheen wrote: »
    I see all the armchair epidemiologists are out again.

Yes. One of them appears to be Micheál "it's actually a brand new virus" Martin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Not really seeing how people’s actions will determine much when it comes to relaxation of restrictions at this stage. At this stage it’s almost completely down to the speed of getting people vaccinated and there’s nothing most of us can do but take it when our turn comes.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

b0nk1e wrote: »
    Yes. One of them appears to be Micheál "it's actually a brand new virus" Martin.

It’s more accurate than those here who act like it’s irrelevant just because they can’t go for a pint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭Coybig_

I see all the armchair epidemiologists are out again.

A great observation on Micheal Martin describing the B.1.1.7 as effectively a new virus. Well played!

They're opening schools and letting 30 children mingle in a classroom while telling people the new variant is so dangerous we can't consider fully opening construction (which isn't closed anywhere else) or let people go for a walk or cycle more than 5km from their homes. Oh, and people are still flying in from abroad with minimal control.

Blaming people engaging in low risk activities isn't going to fly anymore.

Why do you think schools are being phased so cautiously? It's unknown whether this new variant spreads easier among children. My understanding is that it doesn't but it's not a closed question. Others on this thread have stated that it does. They don't really have to choice but see how case numbers go when the schools reopen. If as the original UK suggestion was that this variant spreads more easily in adolescents then schools could become a bigger challenge than before.

I agree re outdoor stuff btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

It’s more accurate than those here who act like it’s irrelevant just because they can’t go for a pint.

can you point us to all those?

M

Having a game of golf is not ok but teachers and children sitting inside a classroom for 7 hours a day is ok, yes that makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭landofthetree

• Registered Users Posts: 17,908 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

They need to stop laughing and joking whenever hospitality is brought up ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Coybig_ wrote: »
    A great observation on Micheal Martin describing the B.1.1.7 as effectively a new virus. Well played!

I almost heard the whole country shout
    “ oh no it isn’t “

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭CoronaBlocker

In no particular order...

1) Pay rises in the public sector again - and at the same time they leave everyone on PUP feeling guilty by telling us all how much it's costing on every single news bulletin. It isn't my fault my job disappeared - just stop reminding me how expensive my existence is at every opportunity please. How much are these new pay-rises going to cost out of interest? Haven't heard that.

2) The nation still under a 5km rule because it's tied to the covid-related eviction ban legislation so it's just more convenient to leave it all as-is. Legislators keeping us all locked down because they are unable to amend the legislation apparently. Where's the fuhking ballot box?

3) The government gives absolutely nothing back to the people despite case numbers collapsing - and the plummeting cases is our good work... not the governments. The government has certainly not played its part. For christ's sake, let me see my friends in the park. Let me go up a bloody mountain. I can't even get my kayak into the bloody sea because the beach might be too crowded to launch it when I get there. Trust us to be sensible and most of us will be.

4) Schools should already be back. Creches should already be back. Services like hairdressers etc and non-essential retail should be coming back now. Click and collect for those that can operate it is fine - we'd be happy with that.

5) Where's the monitoring for people flying onto this damn island from god knows where? You admitted ages ago that we needed a hotel-quarantine set-up. So where is it? Is it even close to being ready yet? What are you doing? Is it too difficult for you to work out? Or are you hoping we'll all get upset at something else and forget about it?

6) I understand that people in care homes are all vaccinated now. Is that true for the staff there too? Because my friend works in one and is still waiting. Are hospitals as safe as they can be yet while staff still await their jabs? My friends father, who has cancer, actually left his hospice the other day in disgust at the amount of people coming and going. He's unvaccinated as apparently he's not worth the shot.

7) Why is close-contact tracing/testing still not efficient enough to stop local the explosions of community cases? Is this why we are still under such tight restrictions? Because they can't sort out minor outbreaks before they become major?

8) Actually come to think of it, how many cases are actually community based at the moment? What percentage is occurring in institutions like hospitals and care homes - as opposed to the community? Are there even really enough community cases to justify all of these Level 5 restrictions?

9) This new plan, based on vaccines was undermined before it was even released with this evening's news on yet more reduced deliveries from AstraZeneca. What now Micheál? Your plan was scuppered before your spittle even hit the podium.

10) Will somebody please give Stephen Donnelly a dig-out? No one could handle what he's been given. Even if he was competent, he'd be in trouble.

11) Why is so much spoken about dates? Forget dates - give us numbers. If we can hold under 700 cases for seven days give us inter-county travel back - or something like that. Ask NPHET to attach target numbers to each of the 5 levels. That would give us a plan. A motivation. A common goal to work towards.

12) I had another one but I've forgotten what it was.

</rant>

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Is that not on top of the shortfall in Q1?

Good news if the new reduction isn't significant for our plan

Already factored in

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jackboy

Turtwig wrote: »
    Why do you think schools are being phased so cautiously? It's unknown whether this new variant spreads easier among children. My understanding is that it doesn't but it's not a closed question. Others on this thread have stated that it does. They don't really have to choice but see how case numbers go when the schools reopen. If as the original UK suggestion was that this variant spreads more easily in adolescents then schools could become a bigger challenge than before.

There is no doubt that there will be outbreaks in schools. Will they have a proper plan to deal with that now or pretend it’s not happening like the last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Were there a lot of deaths in schools?

Not many deaths in pubs or restaurants either

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Wurzel gunmage across the pond has an actual plan.
    All we have is a fcukin gombeen waffling words.
    Sick of the endless fcukin nonsense now.

Having a game of golf is not ok but teachers and children sitting inside a classroom for 7 hours a day is ok, yes that makes sense.

which do you think is the highest priority for the state?

children's education

or

golfing

?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Donelley doesn't even get an invite to these anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

lawred2 wrote: »
    can you point us to all those?

What is incorrect about Micheal Martin saying this variant is like a new virus?

It’s more transmissive, people are getting sicker and it’s leading to more hospitalisations among younger groups.

To hear people going ‘omg the new variant again he never shuts up about it’ is dismissive. You can read it whatever way you want but what Martin said is more accurate than those who are dismissing it.

Arghus wrote: »
    Donelley doesn't even get an invite to these anymore.

Is he seriously not there? Ah here. This government is a farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Turtwig wrote: »

That's the thing though, considering it's an open question, why are we looking at such a rapid reopening of schools? Sure it's phased, but compared to pur attitude towards everything else it's very fast paced. It just doesn't line up with the messaging around everything else.

Same with the foreign travel issue. If the new variant is so dangerous, why are we not clamping down on that much harder?

The messaging just doesn't seem to add up with the actions.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I almost heard the whole country shout
    “ oh no it isn’t “

In all fairness the press conference may as well have been a pantomime!!

M

lawred2 wrote: »
    which do you think is the highest priority for the state?

children's education

or

golfing

?
    Golfing doesn't require big moves on the part of the state, private business could accommodate it in the morning and would be glad to do so.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Any mention of 'meaningful' holidays?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,544 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Wurzel gunmage across the pond has an actual plan.
    All we have is a fcukin gombeen waffling words.
    Sick of the endless fcukin nonsense now.

I’d be very wary of boris Johnson’s so called plan

He would say or do anything for some short term popularity and a few headlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

What is incorrect about Micheal Martin saying this variant is like a new virus?

It’s more transmissive, people are getting sicker and it’s leading to more hospitalisations among younger groups.

To hear people going ‘omg the new variant again he never shuts up about it’ is dismissive. You can read it whatever way you want but what Martin said is more accurate than those who are dismissing it.

Yet the first thing we're reopening is schools. Either they're being reckless or they're playing up the impact of the variant. My money is on the latter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Boggerman12

Mehole so out of his depth in the press conference.he looks so disinterested and is still sulking cause he can’t go to the White House for the photo op

• Advertisement

That's the thing though, considering it's an open question, why are we looking at such a rapid reopening of schools? Sure it's phased, but compared to pur attitude towards everything else it's very fast paced. It just doesn't line up with the messaging around everything else.

Same with the foreign travel issue. If the new variant is so dangerous, why are we not clamping down on that much harder?

The messaging just doesn't seem to add up with the actions.

Your guess is as good as mine. Two weeks between phases is short and I know the unions aren't the most popular bunch but their concerns aren't without merit. It's very unclear what the plan for controlling and detecting outbreaks in schools is. Often times schools would get very delayed assessments and contacts from the HSE.

Foreign travel is the tortoise. Actually that's probably disrespectful to tortoises. The tortoise won too!

The messaging and communication has been abysmal since the current coalition formed. The original trio were actually fairly ok in my book. Least you knew where things stand. This is a haphazard mess.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement