Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIII-231,484 ROI(4,610 deaths)116,197 NI (2,107 deaths)(23/03)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Azatadine wrote: »
    Ah no.....Thomas Ryan......again......on PT

They must have the shortest short list for contributors

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

So are women actually cutting their hair these days or just letting it go longer

I’m reasonably self-sufficient when it comes to my hair maintenance anyway. Two haircuts a year normally and do the colour myself at home.
    I feel like I’ve had the equivalent of survival training for hair.

Others have not been so lucky. My heart goes out to these women. I see the evidence on zoom every day.

Soon ladies....soon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

Not stirring, its in the document, however its all talking about we don't know x, y & z about the impact of vaccination.

However that will quite possibly be redundant soon as more is coming clear about vaccination and the reduced transmission

True.

All they're really doing is laying out some concerns. That's their job. We can now start addressing those concerns. Hopefully.

It is not a call for a winter lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Jaysus Thomas Ryan calling it a new virus now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Indestructable

New virus, new pandemic. Jesus wept, Tomas Ryan. We're ****ed if he is listened to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Stheno wrote: »
    I think EVERYONE, including NPHET, got a right land at what happened at Christmas

I think NPHET modelled at worst 400 cases a day in early January and it was nearly 20 times that at the peak

So now they are being ultra cautious with currently unknown scenarios such as next winter

I get being cautious but assuming all adults are vaccinated by Autumn would think that would significantly decrease the number of people hospitalised and dying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Tomás Ryan just said “a new virus”.

Not a peep from Miriam about explaining why it is “a new virus”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Azatadine wrote: »
    Ah no.....Thomas Ryan......again......on PT

How is this credible? A neuroscientist Zero Covid extremist whose organisation have serious allegations against them into misleading the population and purposefully sowing doubt, hysteria and misinformation. Pathetic

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

So if we get rid of Covid we will just lockdown for the flu going forward???

This is what I’m wondering. Will this be deployed casually every winter now in order to compensate for our shambles of a health service? I had a family member in a&e around Christmas 2019 before any of this even took off. The place was a shambles and like a war zone. Had you brought in an RTE camera crew then you would have had the same images that we got a few weeks back when we saw inside Covid wards. Every single winter the hospitals are in crisis. Is this how it’s going to be now? Maybe they won’t shut the economy but I can certainly see restrictions on movement and social gatherings down the line in order to minimise outbreaks. Hard to know really and maybe I’m being irrational but once you give someone that kind of power it’s very hard to get it back

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Goldengirl wrote: »
    If " it's never going to end " means we will always have Covid , I think that may be so unfortunately.
    But hopefully it will be controllable through vaccination and we can be getting back to normal otherwise .

I'd say you're right about us being stuck with Covid but yeah, vaccines should help us go back to normal. It's the idea of ongoing restrictions even after vaccination that worries me now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭plodder

"We must not have a fourth lockdown" The only way to guarantee 100% we don't have one is to never open up the current one. I fear that is where we are headed, as MM basically said the same thing.

Have to say (again) I think the risk of a 4th lockdown should just be accepted. Remember when everyone said there could never be a second lockdown as we couldn't afford it etc.

Tomas Ryan is the spits of your man Buffalo Bill from Silence of the Lambs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭blackcard

Pwindedd wrote: »
    I’m reasonably self-sufficient when it comes to my hair maintenance anyway. Two haircuts a year normally and do the colour myself at home.
    I feel like I’ve had the equivalent of survival training for hair.

Others have not been so lucky. My heart goes out to these women. I see the evidence on zoom every day.

Soon ladies....soon

People dying and sick from Covid-19, businesses closed, schools closed, restrictions all over the place. But I am like you, my heart goes out to these women who are not self-sufficient with hair maintainance

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

This is what I’m wondering. Will this be deployed casually every winter now in order to compensate for our shambles of a health service? I had a family member in a&e around Christmas 2019 before any of this even took off. The place was a shambles and like a war zone. Had you brought in an RTE camera crew then you would have had the same images that we got a few weeks back when we saw inside Covid wards. Every single winter the hospitals are in crisis. Is this how it’s going to be now? Maybe they won’t shut the economy but I can certainly see restrictions on movement and social gatherings down the line in order to minimise outbreaks. Hard to know really and maybe I’m being irrational but once you give someone that kind of power it’s very hard to get it back

I don't mean to be unkind, but I do think this is a bit irrational

Its been a **** day tbh and one of the crappiest things about this situation is that usual coping mechanisms/sources of comfort, either cant be used or don't know themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Jaysus Thomas Ryan calling it a new virus now

This is exactly why I think MM was extremely irresponsible to call it a new virus earlier. The likes of Ryan will run with it and it will be all over the media now.

Stheno wrote: »
    I don't mean to be unkind, but I do think this is a bit irrational

Its been a **** day tbh and one of the crappiest things about this situation is that usual coping mechanisms/sources of comfort, either cant be used or don't know themselves

Ah yeah maybe I am. It’s not something I give much thought to really. I was just thinking out loud there. But if we have learned anything from all of this it’s that nothing is a certainty

• Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭plodder

This is exactly why I think MM was extremely irresponsible to call it a new virus earlier. The likes of Ryan will run with it and it will be all over the media now.
    Thank God other countries are not going the same direction as us, and hopefully this new variant scare-mongering will be exposed.

Paddy Mallon (an actual medical doctor and infectious diseases expert) was on Radio 1 earlier with a much more hopeful message. As he said, this idea that the R number has to be less than 1 is a strange thing to throw into the mix, once the vaccination campaign gets going.

MOC was pathetic in her handling though. Just let him trot that out without challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Exactly and then Thomas Ryan mentioned a Californian variant,and tomorrow it will be another variant

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭CoronaBlocker

Tomas Ryan is the spits of your man Buffalo Bill from Silence of the Lambs

That young chap on the left now is like a young Quagmire. The presenter is like a kid with a glue-on beard too.

• Advertisement

That young chap on the left now is like a young Quagmire. The presenter is like a kid with a glue-on beard too.

He's a minister

Very shallow talent pool in FF

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

plodder wrote: »
    Thank God other countries are not going the same direction as us, and hopefully this new variant scare-mongering will be exposed.

Not only that - other countries are cracking down on zero Covid loons and likeminded doom mongers - https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/limerick-man-flees-sweden-over-criticism-of-his-covid-19-campaign-1.4493317

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Exactly and then Thomas Ryan mentioned a Californian variant,and tomorrow it will be another variant

Is a variant a new virus now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Sinn Féin want mandatory quarantine for ALL arrivals of non essential travel into the state including vaccinated uk and EU residents?! Meanwhile in the North, they’ll be able to go on foreign holidays in the summer where they’re also in power. What an absolute sh** show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

How is this credible? A neuroscientist Zero Covid extremist whose organisation have serious allegations them into misleading the population and purposefully sowing doubt, hysteria and misinformation. Pathetic

And with all of that, guess who gives them the biggest platform to further sow seeds of discontent and fear on the Irish public? Yes, our national broadcaster RTE. With no credible balanced alternative opinion.
    RTE has done great harm to our country during this pandemic. They have no morals to continue perpetuating this type of fear mongering, without a sliver of hope or positivity in any of their reporting.
    RTE are the single most divisive entity in the State.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭brookers

Just looking at the different groups for vaccine, in group 4 obesity is one of the medical conditions......would that have to be with other medical conditions or just it. Would be a lot of people with that condition. How do they manage that, would you have to have had a consultation with a doctor etc.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Golfman64 wrote: »
    Not only that - other countries are cracking down on zero Covid loons and likeminded doom mongers - https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/limerick-man-flees-sweden-over-criticism-of-his-covid-19-campaign-1.4493317

Prime time will be on to him to be an expert for next week. Claire Byrne is looking for his number.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,299 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

lawred2 wrote:
    He's a minister

Very shallow talent pool in FF
    I think this applies to all our political parties unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Hospital numbers 8pm tonight

Total 642 (down from 676 last night)
    ICU 149 (down from 154 last night)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Cork2021

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Hospital numbers 8pm tonight

Total 642 (down from 676 last night)
    ICU 149 (down from 154 last night)

Dropping at a decent rate now, middle of March should have about 50-100 including icu... all going well and hopefully no deaths, could be under 50 by the time the 5th of April arrives

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement