Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIII-231,484 ROI(4,610 deaths)116,197 NI (2,107 deaths)(23/03)Read OP

Options

Comments

Sure let’s see what ‘evidence’ they come up with on Thursday. Getting lots of attention. I hate that anti-vax stuff also.

There are lots of antivax loons who wouldn't know a protein from a proton but that doesnt mean others who are wary dont have a right to be. Some of us are the bath water......dont throw us out with the antivax baby..

Sure let’s see what ‘evidence’ they come up with on Thursday. Getting lots of attention. I hate that anti-vax stuff also.

It's a pure Trump tactic, they'll be releasing the kraken next.

What the fcuk does she know about vaccines. Very annoying the way variants are becoming weaponised for political motives at this stage

Hope you didnt hear mcconkey today so...jasus..shocking stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

plodder wrote: »
    The hope is that this virus will be reduced to 'just another coronavirus'
    Is there any evidence that that is happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Azatadine

It's just unreal at the moment.....Cairns and Staines on TV3.....Ryan on PT.....only missing McConkey now.....

It seems like a concerted effort....I'm not CT type person but it seems insane that this crowd are being facilitated by the media.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

Azatadine wrote: »
    It's just unreal at the moment.....Cairns and Staines on TV3.....Ryan on PT.....only missing McConkey now.....

It seems like a concerted effort....I'm not CT type person but it seems insane that this crowd are being facilitated by the media.

Lockdown and Doom is good for the media. More clicks and less alternative forms of engagement for the general public. The media will support and facilitate this as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

I actually scoffed at some of the theories but the way it's all playing out is making me seriously second guess myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

rusty cole wrote: »
    Hope you didnt hear mcconkey today so...jasus..shocking stuff
    I've heard plenty of him, too much in fact! :pac: I've also read the reports that the vaccines work against all the variants by preventing serious illness and deaths. McConkey et al. are looking for perfection, they want the vaccines to prevent any kind of symptons, prevent transmission, etc. Let's not loose sight of the fact that all we need is something that prevents strain on our health service

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

What the fcuk does she know about vaccines. Very annoying the way variants are becoming weaponised for political motives at this stage

It’s scary how many people on twitter are giving it the “You go,girl” to that sh!te she came out with.

They are so wrapped up in identity politics that they can’t look at anything objectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

Ficheall wrote: »

Actually, the evidence from Israel points to protection from the virus and prevention of transmission post vaccination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭h2005

Am I missing something with the vaccines, why is there such a push at the moment to say they're not the answer? Surely the vast majority ending up in hospital now would have been in the demographic marked for early vaccination? Once these people are all vaccinated surely the hospital numbers and deaths plummet? What stops us from getting on with our lives then?

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jams100

I hear about new supports for businesses every effing day now.

Who is going to be paying for this when it's all over? (I'm aware this isn't a popular question but it's one we do as a country need to start talking about and putting more balance on all the other downsides of these continuous lockdowns)

Edit: Is anyone aware of a journalist who has asked this question? (Not that the government would answer it anyway...it would be fudged)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Golfman64 wrote: »
    Actually, the evidence from Israel points to protection from the virus and prevention of transmission post vaccination.

Israel is the real life case study, everything else is just speculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

h2005 wrote: »
    Am I missing something with the vaccines, why is there such a push at the moment to say they're not the answer? Surely the vast majority ending up in hospital now would have been in the demographic marked for early vaccination? Once these people are all vaccinated surely the hospital numbers and deaths plummet? What stops us from getting on with our lives then?
    This exactly. There appears to be a monumental shifting of the goalposts, in that we now somehow need to eradicate the virus. Also, strains and variants seem to be the new flavour of the month to undermine the vaccines, despite the evidence showing that the vaccines work effectively in preventing serious illness and deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Lockdown and Doom is good for the media. More clicks and less alternative forms of engagement for the general public. The media will support and facilitate this as much as possible.

It seems to be reaching a crescendo at the moment. It's not right. It really isn't. Clowns peddling non scientific, non data based ideas and these clowns are supposed to be scientists......teaching in academic institutions!!!! They actually go against science. It is driving me nuts. It really is.

Think of the ordinary person out there watching and listening to this stuff. It's really not right and if those clowns have to be provided with a platform, there should be a representative from an alternative point of view there to debate with them so that they don't get away with their nonsense.

It’s scary how many people on twitter are giving it the “You go,girl” to that sh!te she came out with.

They are so wrapped up in identity politics that they can’t look at anything objectively.

When you have never read abook in your life social media is fed to you as if its fact....these shrewd tv personalities are coached, trained and taught exactly how to use ques. Sure how easy can it be...most people care more about insta followers over getting back to normal

• Registered Users Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Just checking the new vaccine prioritisation guidelines.
    It says "severe asthma (repeated use of systemic corticosteroids)" - what does this mean? that you need your inhaler every day?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

ISAG

antony staines
    gerry kileen
    tomas ryan
    ivan perry
    patrica kearney
    sam mcconkey
    helen dolk
    philip hoeval
    nessa cronin
    julien mercille
    aoife mclysaght
    shane bergin
    paul dempsey
    clare kelly
    kevin mitchell
    james merrick
    gabriel scally
    yaneer bar-yam
    amanda kvalsig
    michael baker

know your poison or cuppa tea depending on what side of the fence you graze.

Just checking the new vaccine prioritisation guidelines.
    It says "severe asthma (repeated use of systemic corticosteroids)" - what does this mean? that you need your inhaler every day?

I work with a 50 year old asthmatic with covid..no symptoms at all so although all organisms differ please dont panic ok.

h2005 wrote: »

The push to say vaccines are not the answer is to prevent a free for all before enough of the vulnerable are vaccinated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

D.Q wrote: »
    I actually scoffed at some of the theories but the way it's all playing out is making me seriously second guess myself.

I dont think there's anything sinister in it. Government are terrified of making another wrong move after Christmas and the media know outrageous views get attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

It seems to be reaching a crescendo at the moment. It's not right. It really isn't. Clowns peddling non scientific, non data based ideas and these clowns are supposed to be scientists......teaching in academic institutions!!!! They actually go against science. It is driving me nuts. It really is.

Think of the ordinary person out there watching and listening to this stuff. It's really not right and if those clowns have to be provided with a platform, there should be a representative from an alternative point of view there to debate with them so that they don't get away with their nonsense.

I don't like alternatives point of view debates as that makes everything fifty-fifty when in science they're not. They simply should not be in the airwaves period. Or they should be fact checked by the relevant anchor.

Variants are a concern. They could become serious. They might not. The way their used to imply the vaccinations have no benefit is appalling. It's also a public health hazard. People may hesitate to get vaccinated because of this crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭plodder

Ficheall wrote: »
    There's lots of evidence of dramatically reduced infections and symptoms from places that have high levels of vaccination like Israel and the UK, and the US, and even here in the hospitals they've noticed a big reduction already in staff infections.

Of course, we don't know exactly what is going to happen with the variants but if hospital cases keep falling, then the vaccines must be working against them. Nobody is going to know what will happen next November until then, but I'd accept the risk of increased measures or even a lockdown, which would hopefully be unlikely. What's the alternative? Stay in the present lock down until Summer next year?

speckle wrote: »
    ISAG

antony staines
    gerry kileen
    tomas ryan
    ivan perry
    patrica kearney
    sam mcconkey
    helen dolk
    philip hoeval
    nessa cronin
    julien mercille
    aoife mclysaght
    shane bergin
    paul dempsey
    clare kelly
    kevin mitchell
    james merrick
    gabriel scally
    yaneer bar-yam
    amanda kvalsig
    michael baker

#spanishinquisition

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

speckle wrote: »
    ISAG

antony staines
    gerry kileen
    tomas ryan
    ivan perry
    patrica kearney
    sam mcconkey
    helen dolk
    philip hoeval
    nessa cronin
    julien mercille
    aoife mclysaght
    shane bergin
    paul dempsey
    clare kelly
    kevin mitchell
    james merrick
    gabriel scally
    yaneer bar-yam
    amanda kvalsig
    michael baker

They are all being added to the list

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Yes, I know, but that wasn't my question.

The poster I was responding to was suggesting that the virus was weakening and therefore reducing the R number wouldn't matter.
    My point was that the vaccines should reduce the R number, and if they didn't it would be problematic.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Israel is the real life case study, everything else is just speculation.

Is real :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

rusty cole wrote: »
    I work with a 50 year old asthmatic with covid..no symptoms at all so although all organisms differ please dont panic ok.
    How bad is the asthma and how prone to chest infections is he / she?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

The push to say vaccines are not the answer is to prevent a free for all before enough of the vulnerable are vaccinated

That could backfire if combined with anti vax sentiment on social media.

"This lad's telling me the vaccine is dangerous and sure that Professor on TV the other night said they do nothing anyway, why would I take the chance?"

• Advertisement

How bad is the asthma and how prone to chest infections is he / she?

Normally use prevention inhaler daily..had to use it 3 times extra per week..only got a test owing to special needs child testing + dont panic..its the nocebo effect..see how you go..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement