Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIII-231,484 ROI(4,610 deaths)116,197 NI (2,107 deaths)(23/03)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

is_that_so wrote: »
    Yep, grifting to feed her family.
    I don't really buy this "feeding my family" stuff to be honest. There are so many financial supports out there, along with freezes on rates, rents, etc etc, that nobody should be struggling to buy necessities.

I can see scenarios where someone has been operating their business under the radar and not paying tax/rates for years and now they're struggling to get any money in. And you can see where someone might have had some unlucky timing, taken out a huge loan to buy and renovate a business last February or something.

But that's all few and far between.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

zuutroy wrote: »
    Hopefully a positive in all of this will be the end of RTE. Outside of the website and RTE Gold I haven't gone near their programming in 6 months.

Yeah the end of professional journalism is *exactly* what this moment calls for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

fits wrote: »
    Yeah the end of professional journalism is *exactly* what this moment calls for.

No one said anything about the end of professional journalism.

Joking aside, I think asking for the end of RTE is over the top, but I'd like to see them reconsider how they deal with major news events. They're creeping more and more towards the sensational style of the likes of Sky News and not just for Covid, they've been way OTT in some of their reports on weather events in recent years as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭timmyntc

seamus wrote: »
    I don't really buy this "feeding my family" stuff to be honest. There are so many financial supports out there, along with freezes on rates, rents, etc etc, that nobody should be struggling to buy necessities.

I can see scenarios where someone has been operating their business under the radar and not paying tax/rates for years and now they're struggling to get any money in. And you can see where someone might have had some unlucky timing, taken out a huge loan to buy and renovate a business last February or something.

The PUP is minimum wage* - its not a lot of money. Not unrealistic to think that people would struggle to provide for their families & pay rent/mortgage on it.

Also there is no freeze on private rents or commercial rents. Its up to the mercy of your landlord whether they will give you a rent freeze.

*Marginally higher than minimum wage when tax is taken into account

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I can see scenarios where someone has been operating their business under the radar and not paying tax/rates for years and now they're struggling to get any money in. And you can see where someone might have had some unlucky timing, taken out a huge loan to buy and renovate a pub last February.

Having had conversations with a few business owners these supports are really not as widespread as they seem nor the hoops all that easy to jump through. I know a couple are still waiting for money since last summer. Some micros also may not have their tax affairs fully compliant, their own faults perhaps, but something which rules almost everything but the PUP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

fits wrote: »

That horse bolted long, long ago with them.

Hopefully a positive in all of this will be the end of RTE. Outside of the website and RTE Gold I haven't gone near their programming in 6 months.

Life is much better when the only RTE output you watch is sport and the LL Toyshow with the kids

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Life is much better when the only RTE output you watch is sport and the LL Toyshow with the kids

Even that is 90% emotionally manipulative tripe nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

People really have no idea how people are financially suffering out there .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Even that is 90% emotionally manipulative tripe nowadays.

The evolution of the Toy Show is actually a perfect demonstration of how RTE's focus has shifted to creating emotional content to drive clicks and shares. It used to be some light hearted fun.

I know this is not relevant at all in a Covid thread :) but I agree with many posters that the narrative on RTE the past 12 months has been way too focused on negatives.

• Advertisement

That's a rather glib and insensitive take, speaks volumes about you to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭plodder

harr wrote: »
    She lost all credibility when we seen Ben Gilroy hanging around her yesterday and that other mad one Dee Wall .
    If she wanted public support they aren’t the ones to get it for you. Letting herself be used by those gob****es.
    Not following any of this, but for all we know she'd never heard of them. And it's not hard to see how someone put to the pin of their collar could be taken in by them.

As regards RTE, I heard an ad yesterday for a public consultation coming up, on their public service remit. Could be a timely opportunity to pass comment.

Clare Byrne once again bigging up bs from Tomas Ryan about the so called California variety and her contributor slapping it down and calling out Ryan.but she having none of it.

People need to stop assuming just because you're on RTE you've just been polishing your Nobel prize in the green room. At one time Walter Freeman was a world wonder in his field, LOBOTOMY...He even carried out one on JFK's sister rosemary. Basically an ice pick in the eye, that was it.. barbaric..
    The man carried out thousands of them...it later transpired that he didnt even have a surgical backround! he'd be front and center on the late late if he was alive today.. why?? who cares, he's a celebrity now.

The same for Andrew Wakefield of the famous MMR gives you Autism spectrum..He's the reason tony blair didnt immunise his child with the MMR vaccine.. again, a self proclaimed expert turned celebrity..why?? The Media!!

Most of the Doctors who joined the Nazis actually did so with enthusiasm, they were not forced!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

ICU reduced by 14. Let’s hope it’s discharge and not deaths

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

You can't pay a mortgage/rent, feed, clothe and heat yourself on PUP. Something has to give.

It's not too much to acknowledge that a lot of people are suffering, most who would previously have been hard-working and conscientious people, who have lost their livelihoods through no fault of their own just because the industry they worked in has had to be shut.

It's particularly galling for many when you see pay-deals for public sector pay increases in the middle of this. Talk about misreading the room.

That isn't justification for people breaking the rules which are in place to protect us all, but we know this isn't affecting everyone equally and many are suffering and making a huge sacrifice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Cases are coming down to very low levels, hospital numbers are improving.

No real need for negativity at the moment, don't know why our government are not providing a more hopeful picture. Seems bizarre.

Another 5 weeks of similar restrictions and we are going to be a enviable position.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

No reason why outdoor sports, construction and non-essential retail cannot open on 5 April IMO

The go for outdoor hospitality and 2 mixing houses from 12 May

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭timmyntc

hmmm wrote: »
    You can't pay a mortgage/rent, feed, clothe and heat yourself on PUP. Something has to give.

You cant clothe yourself already because all the shops are closed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

This guy is someone who throughout has been super positive and got on with business. I can understand the reaction by hospitality.

https://twitter.com/michaelscodub/status/1364312179449675776?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

timmyntc wrote: »
    The PUP is minimum wage* - its not a lot of money. Not unrealistic to think that people would struggle to provide for their families & pay rent/mortgage on it.

Also there is no freeze on private rents or commercial rents. Its up to the mercy of your landlord whether they will give you a rent freeze.

*Marginally higher than minimum wage when tax is taken into account

Yep, my personal trainer had to reach out on social media the other day to see if anyone know of any contacts who could help him as his business is about to fold, and what help he is getting (if at all) just isn’t sufficient.
    He said he owes 5 months of back pay in rent to his landlord, he also rents some of his gym equipment, which he owes a few months of payments for too - no freezes or payment breaks there.
    Add in his insurance and other general bills and costs that he simply hasn't been able to meet and I’d say he’s easily 20k in debt now, and counting.

If/when he is allowed reopen, there will be no cash coming in for a few weeks in because he will have to honour existing packages that will need to be completed, before clients will be paying to renew again.

This would have been a successful and profitable business with big plans for future expansion before covid.
    Just one example of many businesses that has been left destroyed and a young owner left in eye watering amounts of debt through absolutely no fault of his own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I see they're gonna do away with the €9 substantial meal ****e. So a €9 meal doesn't protect us from the virus anymore? Lol

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

This guy is someone who throughout has been super positive and got on with business. I can understand the reaction by hospitality.

I was surprised yesterday there wasn’t more backlash. I watched it live and it was difficult to understand why there would be grinning and smirking when talking about hospitality. One of our key industries and being laughed at when they look for certainty.

Very disappointing to see

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

I'm the opposite of a Leo fan, but I don't really see an issue with that clip. Leo always has a kind of smirky facial expression, I wouldn't read anything into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

Cases are coming down to very low levels, hospital numbers are improving.

No real need for negativity at the moment, don't know why our government are not providing a more hopeful picture. Seems bizarre.

Another 5 weeks of similar restrictions and we are going to be a enviable position.

We're not going to have six weeks of similar restrictions though. They're reopening schools.

They're taking a phased approach so you'd hope things won't get out of hand, but there's every reason to think it will have some impact.
    Even if the impact is minimal, it's unlikely that we'll be where we need to be in 5 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

IMO hospitality isn't viable right now, if we open up we see a surge and they end up closed in anyways.

The government should have imo come with a "freeze" of certain parts of the economy like hospitality, where those involved, have all costs frozen as much as possible. Sure a landlord or 2 might be a little put out, but the large multinationals can well afford it.

A lot more could have done for businesses that are simply far to dangerous to have open during this pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭SheepsClothing

We're not going to have six weeks of similar restrictions though. They're reopening schools.

They're taking a phased approach so you'd hope things won't get out of hand, but there's every reason to think it will have some impact.
    Even if the impact is minimal, it's unlikely that we'll be where we need to be in 5 weeks.

Hopefully this will be counter balanced by vaccination numbers increasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

MarkY91 wrote: »
    I see they're gonna do away with the €9 substantial meal ****e. So a €9 meal doesn't protect us from the virus anymore? Lol

Are they ? Haven't seen it mentioned myself.

I'd be surprised if they're talking about it seeing as they've no idea when they'll reopen.

Anyway it wouldn't apply whenever normal pubs open

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I'm the opposite of a Leo fan, but I don't really see an issue with that clip. Leo always has a kind of smirky facial expression, I wouldn't read anything into it.

It's not him they're unhappy with. It's MM look at the start

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

Hopefully this will be counter balanced by vaccination numbers increasing.

Absolutely.

Though the cohort we're talking about, the one million kids or so, will not be vaccinated. Their parents and teachers are highly unlikely to be either. So there is potential for this to go badly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

It's not him they're unhappy with. It's MM look at the start

Didn't he make some comment before to a journalist asking about hospitality 'you're thirsty aren't you'?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement