Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIII-231,484 ROI(4,610 deaths)116,197 NI (2,107 deaths)(23/03)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭timmyntc

How is that restrictions that are much worse than having to pay water charges popular?

Some people are very pro-restrictions and will drag your name through the mud as a conspiracy theorist or as someone who wants to see old people die, etc

There were no people who were overtly pro-water charges

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

jhegarty wrote: »
    Hope everyone is ready for the surprise Wednesday spike.

No notable spike today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭robbiezero

MethMartin wrote: »
    Firstly, I personally don't know anyone who went 'ape sh*t' over Xmas. Most people just visited their families, and went for dinner etc. Like normally things humans do!

But even if some people did go 'ape sh*t' - have you ever thought about their reasoning? We have the longest lockdown in Europe, and everyone knew that the lockdown was going to start again right after Xmas.

Some of the high priests of Covid on here love a bit of self-loathing and promulgating the idea that the lockdown is penance for our venal sins in December.

Headbangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭political analyst

How many logical falacies does this contain?

How is it a fallacy to say that lockdown is worse than having to pay water charges?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

MethMartin wrote: »
    Firstly, I personally don't know anyone who went 'ape sh*t' over Xmas. Most people just visited their families, and went for dinner etc. Like normally things humans do!

But even if some people did go 'ape sh*t' - have you ever thought about their reasoning? We have the longest lockdown in Europe, and everyone knew that the lockdown was going to start again right after Xmas.

Unfortunately, I think this is the definition of going ape **** during a pandemic.

timmyntc wrote: »
    Some people are very pro-restrictions and will drag your name through the mud as a conspiracy theorist or as someone who wants to see old people die, etc

There were no people who were overtly pro-water charges

Are they on the far-left of the political spectrum?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Are they on the far-left of the political spectrum?

I doubt it - I'd imagine it's more of a correlation with those who are not hurting because of the restrictions. Middle class people who aren't inconvenienced that much, and older people who are fearful.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,976 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Of what film is the scene used in that meme?

Fellowship of the Ring. After the hobbits meet Aragorn in Bree but before the attack at Weathertop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

titan18 wrote: »
    Fellowship of the Ring. After the hobbits meet Aragorn in Bree but before the attack at Weathertop.

I was just about to reply but you beat me to it....you were far more specific than I was tool!:)

• Advertisement

Le Bruise wrote: »
    I was just about to reply but you beat me to it....you were far more specific than I was tool!:)

I was half tempted to turn it on to find the exact minute and second, but have to get off the chair then :D

as far as men losing it, 30% have hair loss in their 30's, 40% in their 40's and 50% in their 50's, see if you can finish the sequence !!!

absolute tripe, how may in the population in general experience it anyway? in the same way we can ask of the vaccines which apparently caused bells palsy ..
    this is getting out of hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

How is it a fallacy to say that lockdown is worse than having to pay water charges?

Water charges (effectively seen tax issue) and public health issues are in no way comparable.

Additionally the far left opposed water charges but want increases restrictions. It's the far right that oppose covid restrictions

• Registered Users Posts: 45,675 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

hynesie08 wrote: »
    It's already factored into our q2 schedule.

Is it? I didn't think that was the case based on discussion of the Denmark plans at the start of this week.
    If we get our allocated doses of this, does anyone know if it will make any significant difference to our schedule as it stands?

Based on the quote above, no difference.
    However, I understood that Denmark had brought forward their estimated completion date to June this year, based on J&J availablility, where as Ireland were not yet factoring it in, as it has not been approved. If this is the case, then we should be able to think that a June completion is possible as we should receive the same number of doses (proportionally to population) as Denmark and thus complete at the same time as them.

seamus wrote: »
    Same kind of crap went on last year as well. Complaints that Varadkar throwing in movie quotes was making light of a grave situation. That smirks and smiles and jokes with journalists was proof that it was all a game to him.

Some people just want everyone to be sour all the time and will whinge doubly-hard about other people's lack of sourness.

c'mon Leo and the mean girls are gagging at this point for the big opening!!
    A kylie concert would be just the antidote for himself and the squad of plastics!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

714 swabs on 16,520 tests. 4.32%

The 7-day is now 4.96%

This is a really good outcome for a Wednesday. The "Wednesday effect" has been a bit muted since we started close contact testing. Nevertheless, this is a very good result today.

My trends and projections have all taken a very clear nosedive for the first time in 2-3 weeks.

Another few days with numbers like this and we're on a new buzz.

Water charges (effectively seen tax issue) and public health issues are in no way comparable.

Additionally the far left opposed water charges but want increases restrictions. It's the far right that oppose covid restrictions

But the maintenance of the water-supply system is a public-health issue, isn't it? If something is in the public interest then why wouldn't people be willing to pay more tax for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

No reason why outdoor sports, construction and non-essential retail cannot open on 5 April IMO

The go for outdoor hospitality and 2 mixing houses from 12 May

I agree with you. But given what we have seen yesterday, I think those might be announced on the 5 but will not take place before schools are fully back in class and the impact can be asserted. So I wouldn't hold my breath on anything opening before the 12 of April, and I would bet money on it being end of April actually.

But it's all speculation, hopefully we'll see a big drop in cases/hospitals/mortality thanks to lockdown + vaccines and we'll be able to speed up everything.

Good positivity percentage there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

That’s good on a Wednesday, isn’t it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Excellent numbers of a Wednesday.

Look at that positivity rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

timmyntc wrote: »
    I doubt it - I'd imagine it's more of a correlation with those who are not hurting because of the restrictions. Middle class people who aren't inconvenienced that much, and older people who are fearful.

Whats the definition of a lockdown?......middle class people hiding while working class people bring them stuff :pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭boardise

hmmm wrote: »
    You can't pay a mortgage/rent, feed, clothe and heat yourself on PUP. Something has to give.

It's not too much to acknowledge that a lot of people are suffering, most who would previously have been hard-working and conscientious people, who have lost their livelihoods through no fault of their own just because the industry they worked in has had to be shut.

It's particularly galling for many when you see pay-deals for public sector pay increases in the middle of this. Talk about misreading the room.

That isn't justification for people breaking the rules which are in place to protect us all, but we know this isn't affecting everyone equally and many are suffering and making a huge sacrifice.

Just wondering innocently -how does this intriguing concept
    'Equality of suffering' work ?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

The 7-day is now 4.96%

My trends and projections have all taken a very clear nosedive for the first time in 2-3 weeks.

Is that the first time the positivity has been below 5% for consecutive days in a while?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I’m as far left as they come and I oppose restrictions. It’s a very polarising topic that cannot be tied up neatly into a left leaning or right leaning box.

The reality is that lockdowns are negatively effecting (and benefitting) people of all political leanings, depending on their respective personal situations.
    Individual circumstances will have far more influence on each persons opinion than their political leanings ever will, in this case. I would go as far as to say they’re completely irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Faugheen wrote: »
    Is that the first time the positivity has been below 5% for consecutive days in a while?

It's only a two-day streak, to be fair.

But like all of the other metrics, it's "the lowest since before Xmas".

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

It's only a two-day streak, to be fair.

But like all of the other metrics, it's "the lowest since before Xmas".

Oh I know that, but it went below 5 before then back over it again.

I’m just trying to look for any positive signs. I think rather than all of us arguing here we should be looking for the signs that we are coming to the end of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭SeaMermaid

I think the governments communication is very clear. They are giving schools are priority for reopening but they are doing so in a cautious manner where they can monitor the situation. I think it is the right approach. Schools going back to school is vital for childrens development. Allow the schools to go back to school and monitor the situation before they allow the rest of the population to move about more.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The 7-day is now 4.96%

This is a really good outcome for a Wednesday. The "Wednesday effect" has been a bit muted since we started close contact testing. Nevertheless, this is a very good result today.

That's great news, especially for a Wednesday!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement