Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIII-231,484 ROI(4,610 deaths)116,197 NI (2,107 deaths)(23/03)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Is it? I didn't think that was the case based on discussion of the Denmark plans at the start of this week.

It wasn't until yesterday, there's also now a possible curevac section separate but there's the av supply issue.

The 3 million plus could end up as 5 if curevac come on and av deliver 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

SusieBlue wrote: »
    I’m as far left as they come and I oppose restrictions. It’s a very polarising topic that cannot be tied up neatly into a left leaning or right leaning box.

The reality is that lockdowns are negatively effecting (and benefitting) people of all political leanings, depending on their respective personal situations.
    Individual circumstances will have far more influence on each persons opinion than their political leanings ever will, in this case. I would go as far as to say they’re completely irrelevant.

We need to stop focussing on needing lockdowns etc. Look at the situation in Czech Rep and Slovakia. We need to get cases low and then a sustainable transition to near normal life I hope. We open up significantly now with a vaccine and then high deaths. It would be a big mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭timmyntc

wadacrack wrote: »
    We need to stop focussing on needing lockdowns etc. Look at the situation in Czech Rep and Slovakia. We need to get cases low and then a sustainable transition to near normal life I hope. We open up significantly now with a vaccine and then high deaths. It would be a big mistake

The point of vaccinating the at risk & elderly first is to avoid high deaths. They are the most at risk group, so vaccinating them now (which is what we are doing) will mean we wont see a repeat of the 1st/2nd/3rd waves.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

seamus wrote: »
    714 swabs on 16,520 tests. 4.32%

The 7-day is now 4.96%

This is a really good outcome for a Wednesday. The "Wednesday effect" has been a bit muted since we started close contact testing. Nevertheless, this is a very good result today.

My trends and projections have all taken a very clear nosedive for the first time in 2-3 weeks.

Another few days with numbers like this and we're on a new buzz.

Well that's certainly a nice mood boost after yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

timmyntc wrote: »
    The point of vaccinating the at risk & elderly first is to avoid high deaths. They are the most at risk group, so vaccinating them now (which is what we are doing) will mean we wont see a repeat of the 1st/2nd/3rd waves.

Thats true, but we are still months away from vaccinating all vulnerable people.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

wadacrack wrote: »
    Thats true, but we are still months away from vaccinating all vulnerable people.

We’ll be doing more in a week in May than we’ve done to date since the programme started.

If aeroplanes travelled at the same speed in the air as they do on the taxiway it would take us ages to get to New York. But they don’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

“Yesterday was an opportunity for a re-set,” he said, and there is now “a clear plan for the next 10 weeks.

https://www.thejournal.ie/varadkar-mandatory-quarantine-5363609-Feb2021/

The next review date is the 5th of April and is 6 weeks away

I'm unsure as to the clear path that Varadkar seems to think the government has set out for the following month

Maybe looking at construction and possibly outdoor is not a clear plan

Only thing they've set out for April is schools on 12th of April

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Qiaonasen

Next wave now beginning in Europe and the lockdown hasn't even been lifted yet. Cases going up in France, Austria, Sweden, Germany and particularly bad in Czech republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Qiaonasen wrote: »
    Next wave now beginning in Europe and the lockdown hasn't even been lifted yet. Cases going up in France, Austria, Sweden, Germany and particularly bad in Czech republic.

France, Austria and Germany are fine. Their cases numbers aren't changing in any major way.

Sweden has been ploughing its own furrow, and poor Czechia has been struggling in a whole other kind of mess.

I wouldn't throw all five together, and I definitely wouldn't use them to declare there's another wave beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Not sure if it has been posted already

J&J vaccine has been given emergency use authorisation by the FDA. Fridge temperature and single dose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Yet another member of ISAG (Zero Covid group) peddled out on Claire Byrne this morning, with the title Professor - but of what?

Professor Aoife McLysaght
    Molecular Evolution Lab, Smurfit Institute of Genetics, University of Dublin, Trinity College.

Coming up tonight we'll have the Professor of Art and Drama at Trinity College discussing the way forward for our vaccination programme, genetic make up of variants from California and why vaccines won't work against the scary variants that just keep popping up. All based on hyperbole and hysteria taken straight from the handbook provided by Gerry Scally - Saul Alinksy's rules for activists.

Yet another member of ISAG (Zero Covid group) peddled out on Claire Byrne this morning, with the title Professor - but of what?

Molecular Evolution Lab, Smurfit Institute of Genetics, University of Dublin, Trinity College.

Coming up tonight we'll have the Professor of Art and Drama at Trinity College discussing the way forward for our vaccination programme, genetic make up of variants from California and why vaccines won't work against the scary variants that just keep popping up. All based on hyperbole and hysteria taken straight from the handbook provided by Gerry Scally - Saul Alinksy's rules for activists.

exactly 100% like doctor Gillian Mc Keith!!

France, Austria and Germany are fine. Their cases numbers aren't changing in any major way.

Sweden has been ploughing its own furrow, and poor Czechia has been struggling in a whole other kind of mess.

I wouldn't throw all five together, and I definitely wouldn't use them to declare there's another wave beginning.

German Epidemiologists disagree with you. The UK variant is well seeded now. Also they opened schools on Monday so cases will start exploding again soon. R number is above 1 again for the first time in weeks.
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/third-covid-wave-has-arrived-angela-merkel-warns-germany-mwsffjl5n

In Austria they have locked down Tirol last week after finding hundreds of cases of the South African variant.

In Czech republic they are again at the point of being overrun within two weeks.
    https://euobserver.com/tickers/151027
    (This also happeneded in November. Czechia exploded then Germany saw serious growth also).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 Dubit11

Terrible to see it. Absolutely endless this thing :(

• Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭iagreebut

SusieBlue wrote: »
    I’m as far left as they come and I oppose restrictions. It’s a very polarising topic that cannot be tied up neatly into a left leaning or right leaning box.

The reality is that lockdowns are negatively effecting (and benefitting) people of all political leanings, depending on their respective personal situations.
    Individual circumstances will have far more influence on each persons opinion than their political leanings ever will, in this case. I would go as far as to say they’re completely irrelevant.

The left are all for supporting the vunerable and elderly, until we have zero covid it's then time to get back to the new normal.

We're all in this together, politics aside if we save one life today because of restrictions that's good enough for me.

As they say in Islam if you kill an innocent person, you've killed all of humanity.
    We're being told to adhere to the lockdowns for everyone's sake, if I'm not abiding by the rules and have no symptoms but have covid unbeknownst to myself and visit an elderly friend leave droplet's where they shouldn't be.

I could potentially kill an innocent person, I didn't intentionally kill them, but my reckless risk assessment is responsible for that person getting I'll and maybe dying.

You sound moderate rather than left, I'm a true blue Liberal, I love social justice and peace and equality for all.

We have to flatten the curve and abide by NPHET and the government, for the sake of the vunerable and elderly.

There's no compromise.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

So a man in a lab tested this. It must be true! Polyester is the most dangerous.
    The study involved adding droplets of a model coronavirus called HCoV-OC43 to polyester, 100% cotton and polycotton.

https://www.itv.com/news/central/2021-02-24/covid-19-can-survive-on-clothing-for-up-to-72-hours-according-to-university-study

Has this appeared anywhere else than Gript?

rusty cole wrote: »
    exactly 100% like doctor Gillian Mc Keith!!

Come on now - a professor of genetics. The ISAG has jumped the shark and is engaging in groupthink, however she is qualified to speak on the genetics of viruses

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

German Epidemiologists disagree with you.
    Can you quote these German epidemiologists?
    I'd love to get a translation of what she actually said.

Because the fact that she was talking about plans to lift restrictions doesn't match up to any assertion that she also claimed they were in a new wave.

I expect the "third wave" was a reference to the increase in cases that started in December. They've got cases down low, but not as low as last Summer, hence the caution.

There are no indicators at present that Germany is entering a new wave.
    In Austria they have locked down Tirol last week after finding hundreds of cases of the South African variant.
    So no wave them, just a regional outbreak.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

"Meanwhile Denmark and Germany had bought extra vaccines through an EU framework as a result of Greece and Portugal not taking them up. He asked why Ireland had not also sought more"

https://m.independent.ie/news/populist-and-wrong-taoiseach-clashes-with-labour-leader-in-dail-after-alan-kelly-raises-arrival-of-2000-people-in-ireland-from-brazil-40127526.html

Surely it would better economically for us to buy more vaccines now when given a chance rather than wait for future doses?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

These are the positivity rates across Europe (and Israel), for countries that have the misfortune of having 50% or more of their cases be of the B117 (UK) variety.
    There's many countries going through similar or worse with the bastard.

It's a precarious situation as we try to slowly reopen and suppress it with vaccines. We wouldn't dream of it without them.

544833.png

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭francogarbanzo

iagreebut wrote: »
    The left are all for supporting the vunerable and elderly, until we have zero covid it's then time to get back to the new normal.

We're all in this together, politics aside if we save one life today because of restrictions that's good enough for me.

As they say in Islam if you kill an innocent person, you've killed all of humanity.
    We're being told to adhere to the lockdowns for everyone's sake, if I'm not abiding by the rules and have no symptoms but have covid unbeknownst to myself and visit an elderly friend leave droplet's where they shouldn't be.

I could potentially kill an innocent person, I didn't intentionally kill them, but my reckless risk assessment is responsible for that person getting I'll and maybe dying.

You sound moderate rather than left, I'm a true blue Liberal, I love social justice and peace and equality for all.

We have to flatten the curve and abide by NPHET and the government, for the sake of the vunerable and elderly.

There's no compromise.

This is terrifying rhetoric. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    "Meanwhile Denmark and Germany had bought extra vaccines through an EU framework as a result of Greece and Portugal not taking them up. He asked why Ireland had not also sought more"

https://m.independent.ie/news/populist-and-wrong-taoiseach-clashes-with-labour-leader-in-dail-after-alan-kelly-raises-arrival-of-2000-people-in-ireland-from-brazil-40127526.html

Surely it would better economically for us to buy more vaccines now when given a chance rather than wait for future doses?
    It would probably be better for us not to listen to Alan Kelly at all! I wonder if those vaccines are of the non-AZ variety? Belgium too is running into problems with people refusing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

This is terrifying rhetoric. :(

Do not feed

Can you quote these German epidemiologists?
    I'd love to get a translation of what she actually said.

Because the fact that she was talking about plans to lift restrictions doesn't match up to any assertion that she also claimed they were in a new wave.

I expect the "third wave" was a reference to the increase in cases that started in December. They've got cases down low, but not as low as last Summer, hence the caution.

There are no indicators at present that Germany is entering a new wave.

So no wave them, just a regional outbreak.

R number is over 1 this last few days. That is all that is required to drive the next wave. This was confirmed last Friday. They opened schools on Monday. It will shoot up. It's inevitable. Also Christian Drosten warned about this two weeks ago. Political pressure to open up will causes Germany to open prematurely resulting in a wave that will peak in the middle of the summer.

In German but it can be google translated.
    https://www.tagesspiegel.de/wissen/befuerchtungen-fuer-fruehjahr-und-sommer-drosten-warnt-vor-100-000-corona-neuinfektionen-pro-tag/26842290.html

Also here:
    https://www.tagesspiegel.de/politik/merkel-bremst-lockerungen-wir-sind-in-der-dritten-welle/26944758.html

„Wir sind in der dritten Welle“, sagte sie nach Teilnehmerangaben, wie der Tagesspiegel aus mehreren Quellen erfuhr. „Wie hoch die dritte Welle wird, das haben wir alle in der Hand - wir wollen sie möglichst klein halten“, sagte Merkel demnach.
    Dass, was durch viel Verzicht erreicht worden sein, „dürfen wir nicht leichtfertig aufs Spiel setzen“, betonte Merkel. „Wir wollen soviel Öffnung zulassen wie eben möglich - und nach einer Öffnung wollen wir nicht wieder in Schließungen zurückfallen. Mit schrittweisen und sorgsamen Öffnungen können wir mehr Raum gewinnen.“

We are in the third wave she said to participants. How high it will be is in our hands. We want to keep it as small as possible. That which we have already achieved cannot be gambled away. We want to open up as much as possible but we don't want to fall back into Lockdown. With small steps and careful opening we can win more breathing space.

It will all be very clear in the next days. With the discovery of many cases of the UK variant now you can expect the exponentiall growth to resume shortly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Paddygreen is back I see, too many words for Kermit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Now that we have another 6 weeks of level 5 restrictions to come can the national media give a few weeks off to Sam McConkey, Thomas Ryan, Anthony Staines, Gerry Killeen and Gabriel Scally.

Would be a big help to the mental health of the nation if they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Looks like projections for case numbers have been revised.

https://twitter.com/ciananbrennan/status/1364617176901169152

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Eod100 wrote: »
    Looks like projections for case numbers have been revised.

https://twitter.com/ciananbrennan/status/1364617176901169152

End of February is hardly much of a projection give that its in 4 days time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

I'm watching the dail here, the Government, as expected, getting hammered on their disgraceful stance on travel.

Increduously, there is a question on whether meat workers will be deemed essential and exempt from hotel quaratining!!

The ****ing criminals in this corrupt coalition that are in cahoots with the beef barons are behind this no doubt.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement