Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIII-231,484 ROI(4,610 deaths)116,197 NI (2,107 deaths)(23/03)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Eod100 wrote: »
    Looks like projections for case numbers have been revised.

https://twitter.com/ciananbrennan/status/1364617176901169152

Hardly very grim - just Glynn revises his estimates now that we are a week away from end of Feb and he will likely be proven wrong with his initial estimates.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

That letter was written a week ago to be fair. Journos always go with "The latest letter from NPHET" and conveniently forget to mention that it's already a week out of date.

Interesting data here virus spread in various scenarios;
    https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2776937

TL;DR: The worst offenders for causing viral spread are as one would expect, Restaurants, Bars, Churches and .... Gyms.

Granted the data is from the US, where Gym culture and Gym etiquette might be very different. But still, it goes to show that reopening Gyms may not be the low-risk action that gym goers believe it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭blowitupref

https://twitter.com/ciananbrennan/status/1364617176901169152
    Prof Nolan revised those numbers at last Thursday press briefing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

seamus wrote: »
    That letter was written a week ago to be fair. Journos always go with "The latest letter from NPHET" and conveniently forget to mention that it's already a week out of date.

Interesting data here virus spread in various scenarios;
    https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2776937

TL;DR: The worst offenders for causing viral spread are as one would expect, Restaurants, Bars, Churches and .... Gyms.

Granted the data is from the US, where Gym culture and Gym etiquette might be very different. But still, it goes to show that reopening Gyms may not be the low-risk action that gym goers believe it is.

Yeah the link in the lower tweet has full letter with date. Usually a week or so between sending and publication online.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

The letter is very interesting. I'm still going in it, but it confirms that close contact testing is finding quite a bit of cases. 1783 positives from the 1st to the 7th of February, So around ~20% of the cases that week were close contacts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Anyone listening to Drivetime?
    It seems the mandatory hotel quarantining plan is falling apart already. The Gardai in particular are very unhappy that they haven't been consulted on it by anyone. The AGSI have asked McEntee for a meeting for weeks but were ignored.

More chaos on the horizon.

Nobody from government was available to come on Radio 1 and explain the quarantine plan. No surprise there.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Now that we have another 6 weeks of level 5 restrictions to come can the national media give a few weeks off to Sam McConkey, Thomas Ryan, Anthony Staines, Gerry Killeen and Gabriel Scally.

4zb74c.jpg

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Michael McNamara and Edgar Morgenroth on Today FM

Matt Cooper questioning if it’ll be worthwhile reopening if 2000 people from Covid.

I do worry that the fear driving of the media is going to lead us to defer reopening to make sure no one dies of Covid. There seems to be a complete unwillingness to accept that Covid is never going away and that living with Covid means that some people will die from it. Same as people die for a plethora of other reasons and did so before the pandemic.

Once everyone is vaccinated and the most is done from a pharmaceutical point of view to minimise the impact of Covid, we need to reopen. We can’t stay under house arrest afraid of this forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Anyone listening to Drivetime?
    It seems the mandatory hotel quarantining plan is falling apart already. The Gardai in particular are very unhappy that they haven't been consulted on it by anyone. The AGSI have asked McEntee for a meeting for weeks but were ignored.

More chaos on the horizon.

Nobody from government was available to come on Radio 1 and explain the quarantine plan. No surprise there.
    My own feeling is that they are very reluctantly doing it; FG are against the idea based on last year and the rest are just stumbling slowly towards something they are being forced into.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

is_that_so wrote: »
    My own feeling is that they are very reluctantly doing it; FG are against the idea based on last year and the rest are just stumbling slowly towards something they are being forced into.

Why would they be against it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I think they're stalling in the hope that things improve before it's actually brought in. I get how conspiracy theory-ish that sounds, but it's been weeks away for months at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Stephen Donnelly on the news there saying “we have a plan, we need to stick to it”

Do we?
    Plans give clarity, there is no clarity at all with what they’ve given to us and actually things have never been murkier. Business owners are still none the wiser as to when they may be permitted to reopen, will it be the end of April, May or June? Nobody knows. A level of uncertainty is understandable when it comes to this, but for him to say “we have a plan” with such confidence is so inaccurate and deluded.

Sanjuro wrote: »
    Why would they be against it
    Last year they didn't view it something we do.

I think they're stalling in the hope that things improve before it's actually brought in. I get how conspiracy theory-ish that sounds, but it's been weeks away for months at this stage.
    Yep, that sounds like the plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Stephen Donnelly on the news there saying “we have a plan, we need to stick to it”

Do we?
    Plans give clarity, there is no clarity at all with what they’ve given to us and actually things have never been murkier. Business owners are still none the wiser as to when they may be permitted to reopen, will it be the end of April, May or June? Nobody knows. A level of uncertainty is understandable when it comes to this, but for him to say “we have a plan” with such confidence is so inaccurate and deluded.

We have a plan.

Step 1: Open Schools
    Step 2: ???
    Step 3: Profit

• Registered Users Posts: 11,976 ✭✭✭✭titan18

muddypuppy wrote: »
    The letter is very interesting. I'm still going in it, but it confirms that close contact testing is finding quite a bit of cases. 1783 positives from the 1st to the 7th of February, So around ~20% of the cases that week were close contacts.

Makes me think. The PCR test can find positive from weeks ago so seems like there's a good chance the tests are finding people who got covid in December and Christmas and weren't found positive then as we suspended close contact testing

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Do we?

I think they are cautiously hoping to relax some outdoors restrictions from 5th April. Looking at the current trajectory in numbers that seems about the right time to relax, say - the 5k limit, construction starting up properly again etc.

All assuming that we don't see any major spikes in the interim mind - but I think the staggered reopening of schools will help to limit this somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭poppers

Once Mandatory quaratine comes in its going to be very hard to get it lifted, the Media and dare i say it he oppisition will be going mad in the summer when numbers arelow here and irish people living abroad want to come home but cannot, Aus& NZ still have a waiting list of thousands of their own citizens waiting to get home 12 months later.

this will not just stop Brazilians and SA coming here.
    of the 20 countries at the minute how many have direct flight to ire.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

ShyMets wrote: »
    Do not feed

He's on every thread with this ****e. Completely see through, pretending to be earnest about everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

4zb74c.jpg

Experts in how to increase insecurity, anxiety and uncertainty?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

titan18 wrote: »
    Makes me think. The PCR test can find positive from weeks ago so seems like there's a good chance the tests are finding people who got covid in December and Christmas and weren't found positive then as we suspended close contact testing

It is much more likely that they have just aquired or passed on covid to the symptomatic person that had the initial positive test that prompted their referal for a covid test.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

It would probably be better for us not to listen to Alan Kelly at all! I wonder if those vaccines are of the non-AZ variety? Belgium too is running into problems with people refusing it.

I've little time for Kelly but if others aren't using vaccines buy as much of it as we can

The sooner we get vaccines into people here the better

The government will claw the money back from stopping pup payments a bit earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

What's the case numbers today.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

574 cases & 56 deaths. 31 of these deaths occurred in February, 13 occurred in January, 3 in December or earlier while, a further 9 are under investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

A shocking amount of deaths still.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

574 cases & 56 deaths. 31 of these deaths occurred in February, 13 occurred in January, 3 in December or earlier while, a further 9 are under investigation.

Death toll seems to fluctuate wildly, without any particular correlation to case numbers for the day in question...

RIP

Good case total for a Wednesday but cases lower than the swabs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Anyone have a reason I can understand why deaths aren’t falling like cases or hospital numbers. Surely by now we should be seeing the end of the high deaths caused the the Christmas spike ?
    Are all deaths recent or a delay in reporting deaths ..
    Percentage Of deaths seems high compared to hospitals numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,256 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

A shocking amount of deaths still.

RIP

I thought all care homes and hospice patients would be vaccinated by now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement