Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIII-231,484 ROI(4,610 deaths)116,197 NI (2,107 deaths)(23/03)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

No way ! Granted, out doors is safer than indoors IF you have to mix. But staying indoors to avoid mixing in the first place is much more effective at suppression.
    Thats it. There's no way there any relaxation from Apr 5th at all now.

And you know this how?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭landofthetree

That's pretty much level 5 till July.

No vaccines and no hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,261 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Backlog more or less cleared now. Hopefully next week brings a decrease but it looks unlikely.

Yup just looking at rough numbers it looks pretty even to me now. Suspected today would see it all filter through. Will be interesting to see what the swab number is for today when it's reported tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,277 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

That's probably a positive as it shouldn't lead to that many hospitalisations

Some young with no underlying conditions are being hospitalised too with it

• Registered Users Posts: 86,277 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Backlog more or less cleared now. Hopefully next week brings a decrease but it looks unlikely.

How after a year have we still backlogs in testing and resulting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,976 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Just build a wall around Offaly at this stage. Do they just go around licking each other up there or what.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Over on the teaching forum they are discussing the irony that over 70000 students will be doing their oral exams without masks over the easter holidays in rooms with their teachers, protection via a plastic screen. :rolleyes:
    I know a number of people who do other oral exams and have done for months, with this setup and no reported issues. 2m+ and a screen and mostly under 15 minutes for an oral exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

schools re openings the cause for the rise,

wont be said though.
    Same happened last September.

They need to move to opening just outdoor events.
    Just except this school year is gone & go again next september when more are vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Some young with no underlying conditions are being hospitalised too with it

They are being hospitalised in incredibly low numbers.

They are multiple times more likely to not even know they have Covid than actually end up in hospital

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

MD1990 wrote: »

wont be said though.

Just except this school year is gone & go again next september when more are vaccinated.

I've though it was large gatherings and funerals leading to outbreaks rather than schools?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

wont be said though.

No chance. Children deserve and need a proper education, home schooling is a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

No way ! Granted, out doors is safer than indoors IF you have to mix. But staying indoors to avoid mixing in the first place is much more effective at suppression.
    Thats it. There's no way there any relaxation from Apr 5th at all now.

You're not wrong but you're ignoring the fact that the longer this goes on, the more people will get fed up with restrictions. The more they get fed up, the more they'll ignore them. Allowing more outdoor mixing would stop a lot of people from meeting up indoors out of fear of getting caught. It would also give people currently obeying restrictions an outlet, making them less likely to get fed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

wont be said though.
    I seem to remember that cases were declining late last year even with schools open?

That was before the new UK variant admittedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,320 ✭✭✭✭blade1

And you know this how?

It's not looking good though is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭covidrelease

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Open construction.
    Open all retail.
    Open hospitality for outdoor and strict indoor dining.
    Let people travel wherever they like.

Let them do all that with strict on premises enforcement of hand washing and masks. Because at this stage Lockdown is being ignored. I'd much rather have people in public in controlled environments where they can be seen, rather than at home anymore where obviously people have stopped giving two ****s.

This 100%.

There should have been some relaxation at the last review but the government failed to put anything in front of people.

I am aware of a large number of indoor gatherings this past week or so 20-30 people inside so as not to attract attention, it would be safer outside.

Lots of barbers, beauticians etc. operating behind closed doors, windows shut etc., much safer to have all windows and doors open with improved ventilation.

The guards going around beaches and parks giving out tickets is just pissing people off and inciting rebellion.

The people have given up on the current strategy so its better have things out in the open.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    67 in Donegal. Wtf is going on

I'm in Donegal and can confirm no one is sticking to restrictions anymore, myself included.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭gifted

This is Martin we are talking about.....good chance he'll open the pubs and do everything that goes against all logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

No chance. Children deserve and need a proper education, home schooling is a disaster.

I need and deserve a round of golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Schools likely behind this, hard to see any relaxation in restrictions now until June at the earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Locotastic wrote: »
    I've though it was large gatherings and funerals leading to outbreaks rather than schools?

Their are severe limitations with contact tracing with NPHET. 67% of cases are community transmission. Which basically means unknown. If a child picks up the virus in school, their are more likely to be asymptomatic than adults. I can only imagine how many sources of transmission are not picked up in schools tbh.

We now have two instances where the R0 has gone above 1 again. Both coincide with school reopening in September 2020 and March 2021.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Jimi H

Any meat plant outbreaks lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Natterjack from Kerry

darced wrote: »
    I'm in Donegal and can confirm no one is sticking to restrictions anymore, myself included.

You cant confirm it though. Your view that no one is may be skewed by those around you following your bad example. But not necessarily representative of the population on Donegal as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

gifted wrote: »
    This is Martin we are talking about.....good chance he'll open the pubs and do everything that goes against all logic.
    We had exactly the same pressure last year before Christmas and the government caved in. Lots of noisy people asking for measures to be relaxed. That was a disaster clearly, it has cost us about 3 months of unnecessary restrictions.

This is the third time now they've faced the same pressure, you'd hope they've learned what not to do.

It's plain as day looking at the numbers that there is no room to relax restrictions, much as we would all like to do so. Numbers are at best steady (at a high rate), or they may even be increasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭rodders999

Instead of the we all need to this and we all need to do that rhetoric, the counties that have consistently high numbers day after day after day - Kildare, Meath, Donegal and even taking population into account Dublin need to be called out.

Pretty much the entire rest of the country is suppressing the virus with very low numbers daily yet it’s the same old counties driving the numbers daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

Two deaths and a small increase in hospital numbers (and we know they tend to go up over weekends) and people lose their ****.

Be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Lots of people are just ignoring the restrictions now :/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

I actually think it’s time to stop publishing the case numbers daily.

Once a week give an average.

If it gets above a critical level issue an emergency warning.

People are getting excited over small increases and calling for extended restrictions.

We’ve suffered enough and will suffer the effects of restrictions for years after the last restriction is lifted

The HCWs are vaccinated, about half a million of the most vulnerable are vaccinated case numbers don’t have the same meaning as before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Boggerman12

That's pretty much level 5 till July.

No vaccines and no hope.

Bit optimistic there.don’t you know it’s lockdown 4eva.plenty of money for no one ever to work again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,320 ✭✭✭✭blade1

It's a bit of a catch 22 situation.
    I can understand people want to get out and do stuff.
    However in doing so government won't open up anything.
    Disaster really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭gifted

hmmm wrote: »
    We had exactly the same pressure last year before Christmas and the government caved in. Lots of noisy people asking for measures to be relaxed. That was a disaster clearly, it has cost us about 3 months of unnecessary restrictions.

This is the third time now they've faced the same pressure, you'd hope they've learned what not to do.

It's plain as day looking at the numbers that there is no room to relax restrictions, much as we would all like to do so. Numbers are at best steady (at a high rate), or they may even be increasing.

Hopefully 4th time lucky for them to get it right but I doubt it. Construction are putting them under fierce pressure.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement