Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIII-231,484 ROI(4,610 deaths)116,197 NI (2,107 deaths)(23/03)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Locotastic wrote: »
    I've though it was large gatherings and funerals leading to outbreaks rather than schools?

yeah thats exactly what was said in September too, and the pubs opening for like a week, but certainly not the magical irish safe schools :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

blade1 wrote: »
    It's not looking good though is it?

Based on one day? People need to get a grip and stop reacting to every single bloody case. It's insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Housefree

Downlinz wrote: »
    Schools likely behind this, hard to see any relaxation in restrictions now until June at the earliest.

I reckon mother's day, saw cars everywhere from people visiting

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

With airports still open and lockdown fatigue setting in i am still compliant but i have limits...
    We really are in for a mental health disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Lots of people are just ignoring the restrictions now :/
    I'm seeing more people outside in the fine weather which is fine by me (to a point as long as they are not in big groups). If there are people meeting indoors in large numbers (and I'm not seeing it) it'd be far more concerning.

There's too much focus on people outside who are visible but relatively low risk, the big risks happen indoors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

niallo27 wrote: »
    We are back. Does any really give a **** about the numbers anymore. We are going be stuck in lockdown anyway so makes no difference.

The never ending “not there yet, could be May could be June could be July.. who knows” mantra from those who should be showing leadership has made a lot of people throw in the towel. If there’s no clear end in sight, no purpose for the never ending suspension of living and no clear leadership from government, then people will take the power back into their own hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,367 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

darced wrote: »
    I'm in Donegal and can confirm no one is sticking to restrictions anymore, myself included.

And there you have it, that's why.

A country full of selfish ****ing morons. The only thing that will allow the country to open is the vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Natterjack from Kerry

You're not wrong but you're ignoring the fact that the longer this goes on, the more people will get fed up with restrictions. The more they get fed up, the more they'll ignore them. Allowing more outdoor mixing would stop a lot of people from meeting up indoors out of fear of getting caught. It would also give people currently obeying restrictions an outlet, making them less likely to get fed up.

Party agree. People dont get covid from being fed up. More people ignoring the restrictions does not mean that it outweighs having them. Restrictions are nevertheless beneficial, whatever proportion is following them. And it is still a great majority.
    Most of those breaking restrictions are on the lower levels of intelligence and understanding of the issue. So it also eludes them that breaking restrictions simply extends the length of given lock down measures, harm to the economy, number of people ill and dying. Breaking restrictions does not change the virus, or NPHET's analysis. The virus will propagate with looser restriction, and NPHET will respond. WIth stronger or longer restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭Elessar

I'd say this latest increase is more the Paddy's day get togethers getting tested.

What people (and hopefully government) need to understand is that many of the most vulnerable are vaccinated, at least those who accounted for the most deaths. So increases going forward should not have the same increase in hospitalisations and deaths.

They won't though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Normal One wrote: »
    Two deaths and a small increase in hospital numbers (and we know they tend to go up over weekends) and people lose their ****.

Be grand.

Its th pattern we are seeing that's worrying. Not so much the current situation. Most of us here cant do anything so with it increasing I can understand why posters are angry tbh. Didn't have to be this way either. If outdoor events were permitted with schools closed the Ro would be below 1 I'm sure. Follow the science but their just hell bent on re-opening schools inspite of the evidence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭covidrelease

You cant confirm it though. Your view that no one is may be skewed by those around you following your bad example. But not necessarily representative of the population on Donegal as a whole.

In my area non compliance is pretty much everybody I know. Largely indoors so as not to be caught.

Idiot cops going around making cafes and shops put away the couple of picnic benches they have outside as they think it makes more sense to have people get together inside somewhere else as its unseen.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,320 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Based on one day? People need to get a grip and stop reacting to every single bloody case. It's insane.

No, based on the last year.
    I think you need to get a grip and accept the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I see they're now on about a "9% increase in case numbers week-on-week"

How come they weren't using this metric for the last few weeks when it was reducing?

And they wonder why people appear to have stopped listening

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Housefree wrote: »
    I reckon mother's day, saw cars everywhere from people visiting

Close contacts of established cases are at 24% positivity and one in three household contacts are positive.

gifted wrote: »
    Hopefully 4th time lucky for them to get it right but I doubt it. Construction are putting them under fierce pressure.
    The government has nowhere to go, they've no choice. They can't relax measures if case numbers are rising.

It's tough on the construction sector. The problem is that the stubbornly high figures are coming from somewhere, and that's what's tying the government's hands.

Lots of people are just ignoring the restrictions now :/

Thus extending the restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,662 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

darced wrote: »
    I'm in Donegal and can confirm no one is sticking to restrictions anymore, myself included.

Any wonder we're getting nowhere then?

The rest of the country thanks you for your service. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I see they're now on about a "9% increase in case numbers week-on-week"

How come they weren't using this metric for the last few weeks when it was reducing?

And they wonder why people appear to have stopped listening

I don't know who you are referring to but it was always mentioned in press releases and briefings when there was a percentage decrease week on week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,367 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Elessar wrote: »
    I'd say this latest increase is more the Paddy's day get togethers getting tested.

What people (and hopefully government) need to understand is that many of the most vulnerable are vaccinated, at least those who accounted for the most deaths. So increases going forward should not have the same increase in hospitalisations and deaths.

They won't though.

We are not even close to having enough people vaccinated to be at that point, and we won't reach that until June.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

A country full of selfish ****ing morons. The only thing that will allow the country to open is the vaccines.
    But not till at least June! That's over 3 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

hmmm wrote: »
    The government has nowhere to go, they've no choice. They can't relax measures if case numbers are rising.

It's tough on the construction sector. The problem is that the stubbornly high figures are coming from somewhere, and that's what's tying the government's hands.

Yeah they're just going to keep doing the same thing instead. Absolutely ridiculous situation. Either put in place additional measures to reduce the spread to virtually zero or accept a certain level and open up all retail and outdoor sports.

Elessar wrote: »

They won't though.
    True, but we still can't just let it rip through the remainder of the population. We know from evidence elsewhere in the world that if the less vulnerable get infected in large numbers it can still overwhelm the hospitals. That doesn't even take into account the potential large numbers of long-Covid cases which we would see at all ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭gifted

Curfew time?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭covidrelease

What is selfish about it, it is the failed policy of endless lockdown that has us where we are now. No plan, no common sense no vision.

A 5K rule only in place because its linked to evictions.

Construction "closed" while all the builders are off doing nixers instead, mostly on smaller jobs indoors in peoples houses instead of outdoor sites.

The morons are the ones making the rules and not accepting their mistakes and rectifying them.

Bit optimistic there.don’t you know it’s lockdown 4eva.plenty of money for no one ever to work again.

I wouldnt be that melodramatic, but agree July is a bit optimistic. If number remain high as they will without a further tightening of restrictions, or climb it is due to schools and they are not shutdown again but let open until their normal summer breaks, then it will take July and August to drive the numbers down. If the vaccine rollout goes more or less to plan, that will help greatly, and we could be back to something like they were hoping to implement from Apr 5th, from early September.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Bring in the regional lockdowns again. For the counties that have had less than 5 cases the last while, where is the incentive for them.?, they can't open up or look forward. Seeing other counties with cases rising and no enforcement.

If you give people nothing to aim for or achieve, then a relaxed attitude is bound to happen. As a resident of a county with very few cases the last while, I don't care about other counties numbers any more. I've done my year of lockdown and it's all been for nothing. I absolutely hate this country now, no hope, no government or future for it..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

i mean what in the **** did they expect to happen sending the majority of schools back 3 weeks ago, its the only thing they've brought back ffs, Country is run by a bunch of fools

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Government have backed themselves into a corner alright

NPHET will totally be apposed to any changes in April

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭11521323

I wouldnt be that melodramatic, but agree July is a bit optimistic. If number remain high as they will without a further tightening of restrictions, or climb it is due to schools and they are not shutdown again but let open until their normal summer breaks, then it will take July and August to drive the numbers down. If the vaccine rollout goes more or less to plan, that will help greatly, and we could be back to something like they were hoping to implement from Apr 5th, from early September.

How can they get any tighter?

You realise the cases are rising because they haven't eased anything at all to date and people are getting sick and tired?

• Advertisement

The figures are high because of the increased transmissibility of the new variants. Restriction levels that were appropriate and effective in the past need to be higher now unfortunately, not lower, to control transmission rates.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement