Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIII-231,484 ROI(4,610 deaths)116,197 NI (2,107 deaths)(23/03)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

muddypuppy wrote: »
    The letter is very interesting. I'm still going in it, but it confirms that close contact testing is finding quite a bit of cases. 1783 positives from the 1st to the 7th of February, So around ~20% of the cases that week were close contacts.

This was the bit I found most relevant to giving an indication for when things can start to relax via vaccination.
    In addition, a difference can be observed in the age profiles of those who have been admitted to hospital and critical care and those who have died (47% of those hospitalised and 69% of those in ICU have been under
    70, while only 13% of deaths have been in those under 70), and, as such, it can be anticipated that vaccination will not have as significant an impact on hospitalisations initially as it will on mortality as it will take time for
    younger age cohorts to be vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭blackvalley

The nauseating hypocrisy of politics knows no bounds . We now have the Orwellian vista of all the so called left wing parties lined up demanding that all incoming travellers be locked up without any due process .
    Had the government implemented such a policy months ago ( as they should ) the same parties and probably several jump on the band wagon NGOs would now be screaming about civil liberties. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

harr wrote: »
    Anyone have a reason I can understand why deaths aren’t falling like cases or hospital numbers. Surely by now we should be seeing the end of the high deaths caused the the Christmas spike ?
    Are all deaths recent or a delay in reporting deaths ..
    Percentage Of deaths seems high compared to hospitals numbers.

Some from December, January and February.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭blowitupref

7-day average in cases is 738 down from 838 last Wednesday.

7-day average in reported deaths is 29 down from 35 last Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,559 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Anyone have a reason I can understand why deaths aren’t falling like cases or hospital numbers. Surely by now we should be seeing the end of the high deaths caused the the Christmas spike ?

Yeah I was under the impression that by now that we would be getting better at treating the severe cases after a year of this, but it appears to have got worse at times.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Some from December, January and February.

31 occurred in February, 13 in January, 3 in December and 9 are under investigation (whatever that means)

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Agent Avenger

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    RIP

I thought all care homes and hospice patients would be vaccinated by now

They should have all had their second doses by the end of this week but unfortunately they can’t vaccinate if there are active cases in the care homes so it looks like it will be another few weeks before all care homes will be completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    31 occurred in February, 13 in January, 3 in December and 9 are under investigation (whatever that means)
    It means we report suspected COVID deaths as well. Some or all of those 9 could be denotified as COVID deaths.

I know this has been asked before.

Are the deaths counted as people who died of Covid or died and were positive at the time?

I've never seen an answer to this question.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Agent Avenger

There are still a lot of outbreaks in care homes, a third of them had outbreaks a few weeks ago, not sure of the number at the moment. Care home residents don’t usually get sent to hospital hence why there’s such a disparity between lower hospital figures but we still have a high number of deaths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    RIP

I thought all care homes and hospice patients would be vaccinated by now

Not all deaths were care home or hospice patients and many of those that died would gave been ill for quite some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

There are still a lot of outbreaks in care homes, a third of them had outbreaks a few weeks ago, not sure of the number at the moment. Care home residents don’t usually get sent to hospital hence why there’s such a disparity between lower hospital figures but we still have a high number of deaths.
    Thanks I , didn’t release some care home cases are not sent to ICU

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

George lee saying extreme caution needed

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Thanks I , didn’t release some care home cases are not sent to ICU
    Colm Henry has talked about this a few times. It's often not the appropriate decision to move very frail people. In this scenario they tend to get end of life care where they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Dr. Bre wrote: »

Wouldn't be like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭greensausage

Thats unusual, are you sure??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

One of the 3 'Brazilian variant' sequences is now on Nextstrain. It is P2 (or 20B/S484K) rather than P1, was sampled on 1 Feb and is from a case in Waterford. Also 'exposed' in Waterford, so it may be a secondary case.
    See https://nextstrain.org/ncov/europe?f_country=Ireland&f_recency=3-7%20days%20ago,1-2%20days%20ago and https://covariants.org/variants/S.E484

Eu73-FQXIAYMOEk?format=jpg&name=small

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

I will be more worried if George ever comes out with something positive. I would say he is great craic on a night out ..

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

16 years old.

F*cking hell that's horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

pjohnson wrote: »
    Apparently the patriots are trying to organise a protest for Saturday. Hopefully the Gardai deal with them. They stopped some Dublin hairdresser looking for publicity earlier today at least.

They need stricter fines to stop that rubbish if we are to ever get things open, just strip the business from her for good.

Strip the business and all her staff permanently lose their jobs? Well done for that brilliant piece of deduction.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Arduach

I'd say George goes for a crap with 'extreme caution'.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭CoronaBlocker

I've been thinking about it (danger here).

Proper experts are fairly confident that the vaccines are going to be strong enough to repel these newly emerging variants. At the very least prevent serious illness/hospitalisation. So if that is the case (and if we can't trust the real experts then who else should we go to?), is international arrivals/hotel quarantine really required?

If thousands are coming in from Brazil, as has been reported, then why are our numbers still dropping? I'm only speculating here - but is it really as bad as some of the doom-mongers are telling us?

To be honest, I'd still fancy my chances with it unvaccinated - so when all the aul' wans and aul' lads are jabbed what would be the reasons for not just getting on with it?

Why should we still be looking for this quarantine thing now? Is it worth really it at this point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

George fawning over the Californian variant, I tell ye lads it's the Kerry variant that will prove to be totally unaffected by a vaccine. Nothing will stop the desire to wear a flat cap and speak in tongues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jackboy

I've been thinking about it (danger here).

Proper experts are fairly confident that the vaccines are going to be strong enough to repel these newly emerging variants. At the very least prevent serious illness/hospitalisation. So if that is the case (and if we can't trust the real experts then who else should we go to?), is international arrivals/hotel quarantine really required?

If thousands are coming in from Brazil, as has been reported, then why are our numbers still dropping? I'm only speculating here - but is it really as bad as some of the doom-mongers are telling us?

To be honest, I'd still fancy my chances with it unvaccinated - so when all the aul' wans and aul' lads are jabbed what would be the reasons for not just getting on with it?

Why should we still be looking for this quarantine thing now? Is it worth really it at this point?

It’s not really the known variants that are the issue it is the unknown ones. If one emerges that the vaccine cannot handle and it is already in the country then we are screwed.

Faugheen wrote: »
    16 years old.

F*cking hell that's horrific.

It's very sad.

Viruses of all sorts kill people of all ages every year.

Unfortunately covid was never going to be any different.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thebronze14

seamus wrote: »
    That letter was written a week ago to be fair. Journos always go with "The latest letter from NPHET" and conveniently forget to mention that it's already a week out of date.

Interesting data here virus spread in various scenarios;
    https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2776937

TL;DR: The worst offenders for causing viral spread are as one would expect, Restaurants, Bars, Churches and .... Gyms.

Granted the data is from the US, where Gym culture and Gym etiquette might be very different. But still, it goes to show that reopening Gyms may not be the low-risk action that gym goers believe it is.
    I never got that narrative about gyms...Some may be better than others but an indoor setting, little ventilation, people breathing heavily and the sharing of equipment wouldn't be the best place to reopen quickly...I'm a member of one but I would think they should be well down the line!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I

By the time it actually gets up and running it might very well not be...

jackboy wrote: »
    It’s not really the known variants that are the issue it is the unknown ones. If one emerges that the vaccine cannot handle and it is already in the country then we are screwed.

No we're not.

They said they will just adjust the vaccine to stop a strain that evades it and people will get a booster.

No point scaremongering like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Strip the business and all her staff permanently lose their jobs? Well done for that brilliant piece of deduction.

The haves and the have nots . Covid isn't affecting the middle class financially so screw the rest

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

jackboy wrote: »

Known unknowns eh? Sounds like a reason to lockdown forever. No one in or out , back to a 19th century agriculture based society. Sounds delightful.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement