Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIII-231,484 ROI(4,610 deaths)116,197 NI (2,107 deaths)(23/03)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

The lack of consideration for human behaviour in Ireland has meant we continue to use lockdown as the only form of control.

We are the 2nd longest country in lockdown across the globe I read recently, the other country is not a democracy.

If all the people did the right thing all the time we wouldn’t have a requirement for a police force or associated justice system.

I still don’t know why this is confusing people

Posters here are blaming other people, when do they realise the virus is to blame?

And who is it that is spreading the virus?

There is plenty of blame to go round, but people not adhering to restrictions absolutely deserve blame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

marno21 wrote: »
    If schools are responsible there would be a rise nationally. The rise is only in certain counties.

Like in Dublin? Where there's a hell of a lot more schools than anywhere else?

The mental gymnastics people are doing to defend the schools is hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭covidrelease

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Ideally yes. Because it worked very well in other countries, see: UAE

That's not sarcasm btw, it really drove the numbers down there

But the Guards can't police even the Luas. I've zero faith they could police a curfew

We got to really low numbers here last summer without a curfew.

If somebody told people that there is a curfew at 8pm then their gathering would start at 11am and finish at 7pm, and so on.

The shops would be far busier during shortened opening hours = higher risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Jeeze, easy knowing you haven't been working in a hospital for the past three months or haven't had treatment halted. I'd love to see how you would have coped.

Unbelievable attitude.

I'm not talking about me . I'm talking about the general public . You keep saying it's because lack of adherence to lockdown

I agree

But you think the answer is more lockdowns that won't be adhered to

• Registered Users Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Glenomra wrote: »
    In Clare and I know through extended family members of a number of Cheltenham pub gatherings last week, on average one for every 2 parishes. Also, know of many young people who have moved temporarily to apartments to socialize with friends. Parents happy as the domestic pressure was rising in many instances. Quite simply many people just ignore the restrictions and I personally don't blame them. As one neighbour said to me 'life is for living'.

And we still have one of the lowest case numbers in the country. Not sure about the pub openings, heard of none around my area. Lads buying kegs and having 4 or 5 over, yes we are doing a lot of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭11521323

Benimar wrote: »

There is plenty of blame to go round, but people not adhering to restrictions absolutely deserve blame.

People can't adhere to a lockdown indefinitely after 12 months of it already. That's a reality that needs to be accepted unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jackboy

People . I'm sure smart people , still don't realise that schools are linked to household outbreaks and community transmission

Head in the sand stuff

No, everyone knows this. It’s like the masks are dangerous nonsense we had to endure this time last year. The people spouting that nonsense know it’s not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Those pesky kids are likely to blame.

Why they can’t follow the rules is beyond me

Jeeze, easy knowing you haven't been working in a hospital for the past three months or haven't had treatment halted. I'd love to see how you would have coped.

Unbelievable attitude.

It's shocking, they had to stop dancing on the roof for a month, the poor sods.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

bennyl10 wrote: »
    People have stopped listening because there isn’t any sign of when this ends. No sign of the goal we need to get to other than a magical mysterious vaccine number.

There won’t be buy in again on a large scale without any sense of a end point.

Why would there be?

Have you asked the virus when it plans on leaving the country?

Everyone is tired of this - a year down the line - but the end IS IN SIGHT - nobody is quiet sure when though and some of the inaction of the state in some aspects of how this has been managed is not helping people.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I see Ew*n McK*nna is trying to sow doubt in how the media reports court proceedings now.

Dangerous pr!ck. Gaslighting the idiots that back him into thinking names and addresses being reported on is not normal. How can he, as a journalist, have never read a court report in his life?

Simple answer, he has. He's not stupid. He knows full well what he's doing here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

Those pesky kids are likely to blame.

Why they can’t follow the rules is beyond me

Plenty of young and older adults can’t seem to follow basic rules either Fintan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Acosta

The existing rules are not being policed properly.

We have a situation were Guards are operating check points every single day since just after Christmas. They generally operate from 7am to around 9pm at night. But instead of the Guards that are operating these check points moving them around between 4 or 5 different locations in that general area during the day, they stay in the same position.

Everyone knows where they are, that they don't move and they are easy to avoid. There has also been less of them during this the worst of the 3 lockdowns regarding case numbers and deaths.

I live in Cork. I could drive from the Waterford border to Mizen Head and not meet one checkpoint, because I know where they are and how to avoid.

If something if worth putting so much resources in why not do the bloody thing properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭11521323

kippy wrote: »

The virus shouldn't have to leave in order for us to live with it, that's the whole ****ing point of "living with Covid"

Why are they no adhering to the restrictions, I don't remember a referendum on any of them.

I see an unelected group deciding on an our way or no way policy.

jackboy wrote: »
    No, everyone knows this. It’s like the masks are dangerous nonsense we had to endure this time last year. The people spouting that nonsense know it’s not true.

I was very surprised when there was ambiguity / initial sceptical reaction to masks at the beginning of the pandemic.

Logic alone tells you that masks confer protection, depending on the quality of the mask in question.

Perhaps this is a case of scientists being over-cautious and over-reliant on testing and the scientific method, rather than just relying on age-old logic and common sense reasoning.

The same could be said of the premature lockdown last October. The consequences when opening for that 2-week period around Xmas were guaranteeing and building in COVID spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

But only schools in a few counties . Any explanation for that ?

Yeah because schools don't exist in a vaccuum. If there's low levels of community spread, a kid doesn't bring the virus into school in the first place. If community levels were already high, you're increasing the R rate. It's not rocket science.

Plenty of young and older adults can’t seem to follow basic rules either Fintan.

And I don’t think everyone was expected to comply indefinitely

Didn’t Leo say something to that effect way back in March 2020?

Lockdown is a blunt exercise to buy time to flatten the curve, and that’s how the rest of Europe used it

11521323 wrote: »
    The virus shouldn't have to leave in order for us to live with it, that's the whole ****ing point of "living with Covid"

We can't live with covid if the vast majority don't adhere to the restrictions currently in place.....this is very obviously the main issue.
    Living with Covid doesn't mean zero restrictions........

niallo27 wrote: »
    It's shocking, they had to stop dancing on the roof for a month, the poor sods.

Another middle class yuppie arrives right on cue

• Advertisement

Everyone is tired of this - a year down the line - but the end IS IN SIGHT - nobody is quiet sure when though and some of the inaction of the state in some aspects of how this has been managed is not helping people.

How can the end be in sight if nobody knows when it is.

How can the end be in sight if nobody knows when it is.

There is an end in sight - just with no date on it - apologies for having to point that out - says more about you than me tbh.

Another middle class yuppie arrives right on cue

Hang on are you calling me a middle class yuppie, Jesus that's a first.

We can't live with covid if the vast majority don't adhere to the restrictions currently in place.....this is very obviously the main issue.

Nothing to do with our government ? No track and trace system , no enforced hotel quarantine etc

But yes it's the lads scrapping by day to day in Mulhaddart who are the main problem

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

And I don’t think everyone was expected to comply indefinitely

Didn’t Leo say something to that effect way back in March 2020?

Lockdown is a blunt exercise to buy time to flatten the curve, and that’s how the rest of Europe used it

Yes , he also said they had to choose the timing of a lockdown as compliance will wane after 6/7 weeks
    And here we are on week 12 and they look surprised that compliance is waning

"The next three weeks will prove crucial to Ireland’s COVID-19 story and by working together we give ourselves the best chance to slow the spread and save lives."

The above is from Holohan nearly 12 months ago, you will forgive us if we don't believe this "END IS IN SIGHT" we have been hearing that for nearly a year now.

Hang on are you calling me a middle class yuppie, Jesus that's a first.

Sorry I didn't see the O at the end of your name at first glance :)

Faugheen wrote: »
    I see Ew*n McK*nna is trying to sow doubt in how the media reports court proceedings now.

Dangerous pr!ck. Gaslighting the idiots that back him into thinking names and addresses being reported on is not normal. How can he, as a journalist, have never read a court report in his life?

Simple answer, he has. He's not stupid. He knows full well what he's doing here.

Trying to resuscitate democracy I’d say

People have retained anonymity after committing far more heinous crimes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Why didn't they spend 2020 creating 500-1,000 new ICU beds and training staff / re-training other healthcare staff, accordingly?

To what end? Increasing ICU capacity by so much won't help keep cases low. It buys you a couple of weeks max before hitting the breaks and needing to lockdown again.
    But will take a lot longer than the 2 weeks you saved to get cases/ICU/hospital numbers down. Also with 1000 ICU beds you will be expecting 9,000 patients in hospital with covid.

• Advertisement

There is an end in sight - just with no date on it - apologies for having to point that out - says more about you than me tbh.

So when is the end can you tell me. Even a ballpark figure. You can say this will end eventually, but saying it's in sight. What do you think the end will be.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement