Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIII-231,484 ROI(4,610 deaths)116,197 NI (2,107 deaths)(23/03)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

At the end of the day we will follow what others are doing. Israel had 1000 cases the other day but they also have roughly 50% of people vaccinated. But hospital admissions and deaths have plummeted. They have opened up restaurants gyms cafés etc. Anyone seriously suggesting that when we get to that amount vaccinated (which we should achieve by mid May) we will still be in level 5 need to get a reality check even if cases are high.
    Cannot see government not relaxing some restrictions on April 5th. The 5k will go, you'll bw allowed meet one other family and construction will go back and the rational will be that all hcw, nursing home residents and over 80s are almost all fully vaccinated. That's my prediction and I'm sticking to it 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

"The next three weeks will prove crucial to Ireland’s COVID-19 story and by working together we give ourselves the best chance to slow the spread and save lives."

The above is from Holohan nearly 12 months ago, you will forgive us if we don't believe this "END IS IN SIGHT" we have been hearing that for nearly a year now.

A year ago we knew very little, no vaccine in sight. If you think things are the same now as they were a year ago, again, that says more about you than me.
    But this is the type of nonsense we are dealing with.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭11521323

Wolf359f wrote: »
    To what end? Increasing ICU capacity by so much won't help keep cases low. It buys you a couple of weeks max before hitting the breaks and needing to lockdown again.
    But will take a lot longer than the 2 weeks you saved to get cases/ICU/hospital numbers down. Also with 1000 ICU beds you will be expecting 9,000 patients in hospital with covid.

What a terrible take. At 8k cases a day our ICUs weren't full at what they currently are. Doubling our capacity would drastically reduce the length and harshness of restrictions. My god.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jackboy

niallo27 wrote: »
    So when is the end can you tell me. Even a ballpark figure. You can say this will end eventually, but saying it's in sight. What do you think the end will be.

The end is in sight if the Johnson & Johnson vaccine is supplied as we have been told. That vaccine is the last chance to save the year so all our eggs are now in that basket.

kippy wrote: »
    A year ago we knew very little, no vaccine in sight. If you think things are the same now as they were a year ago, again, that says more about you than me.
    But this is the type of nonsense we are dealing with.

In 3 months we have less people vaccinated than the UK have done in 1 day. You'll forgive everyone if they don't get pumped about the vaccines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭covidrelease

So when is the end can you tell me. Even a ballpark figure. You can say this will end eventually, but saying it's in sight. What do you think the end will be.

I used to think June, at least get the summer, but now I think opening up will be late August, but we will start hearing schools are the priority so we better hold off, then Christmas will be too risky sure look what happened last year.

April 2022 is a pretty good bet at this stage.

It depends on what you would mean by the end.
    For me, it'l be this time next year before ALL restrictions are gone.

11521323 wrote: »
    In 3 months we have less people vaccinated than the UK have done in 1 day. You'll forgive everyone if they don't get pumped about the vaccines.

I don't think you can comprehend what I said.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

This is a tricky one for the government.

On one hand, cases are going up. Normally not the time to loosen restrictions.

On the other hand, people are really really fed up. People have had enough of their lives being restricted.

What on earth can the government do?
    1. A clear plan. Even if it has estimate dates. Businesses need to plan. People need to know that there is an end point. People need things soon to look forward too. Stop making excuses as to why there is no plan, multiple other countries have a plan.
    2. Better communication on causes of the cases. Total transparency. Even if it is not what you want to say. If it is schools, say so. If it is businesses not adhering to WFT, say so. We need transparency to help address route cases.
    3. Better enforcement of existing rules. I know prominent city centre businesses not following the rules.
    4. Vaccinate. Vaccinate. Vaccinate. Campaign for the UK to give us doses asap. Campaign for the US to lift their de-facto export ban. Push the EU to spend more on getting production working faster in the EU. Sort out the AZ/UK mess.
    5. Realisation that case numbers among the young do not equal cases numbers among the old. Our tolerance for case numbers needs to be proportional to the average age of the cases. As the old get vaccinate, our tolerance needs to increase.
    6. Greater focus on the mental health effects of this. My GF is a GP, there is a big mental health crisis out there. When the time is right, reopen gyms, it's a low hanging fruit to help this crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

And then the real crisis will start

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

And gathering indoors, because the much safer option of gathering outdoors is forbidden and enforced by the stazi.

What, exactly, is the reason why people can't dine outdoors, especially in limited groups?

Wherever I go I see crowds of young lads in their teens hanging around on their bikes, and young wans congregating. Probably fúck all risk, regardless of them not particularly social distancing, as it's outside.

Surely if the vast majority of people working inside the likes of Tesco, Woodies etc. are not catching this, groups of 3/4 people having a meal outdoors is not a problem?

What is the problem with outdoor dining?

And then the real crisis will start

It won't be any worse than anything the country has gone through in the past few hundred years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

tom1ie wrote: »
    Does anyone have a link that shows how many people there are in the over 70’s over 60’s and vulnerable groups, etc.
    Be interested to see how many people are in these groups and how long it will take to vaccinate them.
    Hopefully once the above groups are vaccinated we might see restrictions eased.

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭bennyl10

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Yes , he also said they had to choose the timing of a lockdown as compliance will wane after 6/7 weeks
    And here we are on week 12 and they look surprised that compliance is waning

Exactly. Lockdowns are 5-8 weeks of effective

We’ve seen this everywhere.

Nearly 4 months later its the only idea we have

And there are still people here defending it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

its lovely that you think that but as someone who works in a large school in one of those counties, its far from the reality

Um....I don't envy anyone having to deal with the on/off nature of schools but you actually completed missed the point of my post.

JTMan wrote: »
    This is a tricky one for the government.

On one hand, cases are going up. Normally not the time to loosen restrictions.

On the other hand, people are really really fed up. People have had enough of their lives being restricted.

What on earth can the government do?
    1. A clear plan. Even if it has estimate dates. Businesses need to plan. People need to know that there is an end point. People need things soon to look forward too. Stop making excuses as to why there is no plan, multiple other countries have a plan.
    2. Better communication on causes of the cases. Total transparency. Even if it is not what you want to say. If it is schools, say so. If it is businesses not adhering to WFT, say so. We need transparency to help address route cases.
    3. Better enforcement of existing rules. I know prominent city centre businesses not following the rules.
    4. Vaccinate. Vaccinate. Vaccinate. Campaign for the UK to give us doses asap. Campaign for the US to lift their de-facto export ban. Push the EU to spend more on getting production working faster in the EU. Sort out the AZ/UK mess.
    5. Realisation that case numbers among the young do not equal cases numbers among the old. Our tolerance for case numbers needs to be proportional to the average age of the cases. As the old get vaccinate, our tolerance needs to increase.
    6. Greater focus on the mental health effects of this. My GF is a GP, there is a big mental health crisis out there. When the time is right, reopen gyms, it's a low hanging fruit to help this crisis.

Really good post and would agree with most of this. You're going to be torn apart by the Government lapdogs on here who seem to be on retainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Living like this for another year. For me that doesn't feel like the end is in sight. Its been a nightmare of a year, im not sure can I do another.

It won't be any worse than anything the country has gone through in the past few hundred years.

Bit like Covid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Look at the chaos on this thread

Look at the anxiety amongst friends and family

And out taoiseach hasn't addressed the nation about covid in 5 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

Oh as long as its no worse than a rebellion, a famine, a rising, a civil war, a war of independence, a terrorist campaign or multiple serious recessions amongst other things 🀔

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Trying to resuscitate democracy I’d say

People have retained anonymity after committing far more heinous crimes

Yes, because of laws around identifying children and victims of sexual assault/rape.

Trying to resuscitate democracy. Would you give over. Another one who knows absolutely f*ck all about the law and democracy.

Names and addresses of people who have been charged and before the courts is normal and happens all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Living like this for another year. For me that doesn't feel like the end is in sight. Its been a nightmare of a year, im not sure can I do another.

Cross the border in June for a night on the tiles . I'm sure thousands will

Look at the chaos on this thread

Look at the anxiety amongst friends and family

And out taoiseach hasn't addressed the nation about covid in 5 weeks

He has Clark Kent briefing everyone 2 times a week it's grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭covidrelease

What, exactly, is the reason why people can't dine outdoors, especially in limited groups?

Wherever I go I see crowds of young lads in their teens hanging around on their bikes, and young wans congregating. Probably fúck all risk, regardless of them not particularly social distancing, as it's outside.

Surely if the vast majority of people working inside the likes of Tesco, Woodies etc. are not catching this, groups of 3/4 people having a meal outdoors is not a problem?

What is the problem with outdoor dining?

There is an area near me where all outdoor seating was removed after Garda harassment but in another area its left alone, and occupied. 2 different counties and similar case numbers - low in both areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭cheezums

support for any more lockdowns has completely evaporated from all my friends and acquaintances, all of whom would have been fully supportive up until a few weeks ago.

it's pretty grim and i thought we would have this thing beat with vaccines by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Skyfloater

tom1ie wrote: »
    Anyone?

The Business post had a list on here a month ago or so. It wasn't the most accurate but will give you ballpark.

Oh as long as its no worse than a rebellion, a famine, a rising, a civil war, a war of independence, a terrorist campaign or multiple serious recessions amongst other things ��

As I said, perspective is worth having.
    It can be good for the mind.

Faugheen wrote: »
    Trying to resuscitate democracy. Would you give over. Another one who knows absolutely f*ck all about the law and democracy.

Names and addresses of people who have been charged and before the courts is normal and happens all the time.

Except these were charged while exercising their right to protest which is a cornerstone of democracy.

We can argue back and forth weather that right should be suspended or not, but it is suspended and thus democracy with it.

The suspension of which may be justified, but people have no way to communicate their displeasure at the handling of this crisis for the last few weeks and intended handling of the crisis into the future so I think we are stuck as we are for a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

I am sick and tired of justifying my movements at checkpoints (there is almost always a checkpoint by the entrance to my estate) only to see multiple breaches of restrictions that the same Gardai could be dealing with all over the place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

We brought cases down from several thousand to several hundred because of lockdown 3 and people are saying it was a failure. WTF like?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement