Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIII-231,484 ROI(4,610 deaths)116,197 NI (2,107 deaths)(23/03)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Lemonzero

So devastating that non compliance by a small proporttion of the population is putting any easing ofrestrictions at risk and the possibility of schools closing again.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭11521323

Wombatman wrote: »
    We brought cases down from several thousand to several hundred because of lockdown 3 and people are saying it was a failure. WTF like?

Lockdowns work and it definitely wasn't a failure, but you need buy-in from the public and that's going to take a nosedive from now into the Summer.

They work when used sparingly in short timespans but our Government seem to utilize it as their only plan which is abysmal.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Every single person I have spoken to or texted for the past two weeks are unanimous in saying

“ I AM SO FECKIN FED UP NOW “

Every age group are struggling now and it needs to be addressed

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭11521323

Lemonzero wrote: »
    So devastating that non compliance by a small proporttion of the population is putting any easing ofrestrictions at risk and the possibility of schools closing again.

"Small"

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

We brought cases down from several thousand to several hundred because of lockdown 3 and people are saying it was a failure. WTF like?

They suffer from diminishing effectiveness the longer they go on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,023 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Lemonzero wrote: »

Why would schools close. Nphet told us they were not an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The aim was to have less than 100 cases a day heading into April

It will probably be 1000

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Seen as younger people seem to the ones spreading the virus would it make sense to vaccinate them earlier than planned with evidence suggesting vaccines reduce transmission??

I don't mean school kids here. I mean the under 35s.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

jackboy wrote: »
    True enough. The government need to urgently encourage outdoor activities and meet-ups and strictly enforce restrictions against indoor meet ups, parties etc. We can’t have another spike.

That's a sensible approach but do you really think our government are capable of sensible thinking after their performance the past 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jackboy

Will be interesting this Friday. School due to close for two week Easter holidays. Wonder will children have to bring home all books on Friday in case the school will not be opening after the holidays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Start vaccinating under 45's instead? as this is the main cohort of cases & spread. Something different needs to be done and quickly.

Nah! The risk of death in the 40+ age group is over 100 times higher than the 16+ age group at the other end of the vaccine scale. Vaccines need to be given in descending age order like the UK and US have done. Maybe when then 40+ age group are done, we might be able to open vaccines up for universal access.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Seen as younger people seem to the ones spreading the virus would it make sense to vaccinate them earlier than planned with evidence suggesting vaccines reduce transmission??

I think a couple of countries have taken that approach actually. Guess it requires a position to be taken of getting the country up and running versus protecting most vulnerable first. But perhaps it would ultimately achieve both anyway.

JTMan wrote: »
    Nah! The risk of death in the 40+ age group is over 100 times higher than the 16+ age group at the other end of the vaccine scale. Vaccines need to be given in descending age order like the UK and US have done. Maybe when then 40+ age group are done, we might be able to open vaccines up for universal access.

Why is the last vaccine group phase for adults 18-54? Surely there should be a 40-54 first logically. Not arguing for that, but it seems illogical not to break the group down as it has for higher age groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Enter name here

nothing to see move along

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

It did its job, and it should not have been prolonged without an exit strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

34k people flew into the country in the last 4 weeks

34 thousand

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

Acosta wrote: »
    The existing rules are not being policed properly.

We have a situation were Guards are operating check points every single day since just after Christmas. They generally operate from 7am to around 9pm at night. But instead of the Guards that are operating these check points moving them around between 4 or 5 different locations in that general area during the day, they stay in the same position.

Everyone knows where they are, that they don't move and they are easy to avoid. There has also been less of them during this the worst of the 3 lockdowns regarding case numbers and deaths.

I live in Cork. I could drive from the Waterford border to Mizen Head and not meet one checkpoint, because I know where they are and how to avoid.

If something if worth putting so much resources in why not do the bloody thing properly.

Checkpoints are basically a show. The vocal part of the public was complaining that the restriction where not enforced, so they started to put some Gards around to show. They’re easy to skip and almost useless anyway, because you can just make up any excuse to pass them.
    I think it’s the same for hotel quarantine by the way. Very few cases are linked to travel, and a negative test is already required to come into the country (I think it would instead help to require people to have a PCR test from 48 before, a rapid test for 4 and to take a rapid test as soon as you land - but we don’t believe in those in this country) - but it’s a high show restriction that can make headlines.

As for moving the checkpoints around, you can just download Waze and see where they are - so unless they move them around every 5 minutes it’s not going to help much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Every single person I have spoken to or texted for the past two weeks are unanimous in saying

“ I AM SO FECKIN FED UP NOW “

Every age group are struggling now and it needs to be addressed

Any of them have any suggestions on how to address it?

Lifting restrictions = a marked increase in cases. Think Christmas.

Allowing cases to shoot up, with a few months to go before decent vaccine coverage, sounds like madness to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

34 thousand

That’s an absolute disgrace knowing what’s happening in Europe now

34 thousand

It was actually this carry on that got me to open my eyes eventually and say no more.

An absolute disgrace and shows the pure disregard that NPHET and our government have for the people in this country.

They must think we're utter fools altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Boggerman12

Leo asked a simple question of the sainted Tony and his cabal last Oct about what would level 5 achieve and if it didn’t what was plan b.after that appearance on the comedy show Clare Byrne has turned into he was ripped to pieces by the usual suspects in the media and elsewhere.
    Well it’s fair to say and I’m not the biggest fan of Leo but he was bang on.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Natterjack from Kerry

34 thousand

Who will have taken their test prior to boarding.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

You cant confirm it though. Your view that no one is may be skewed by those around you following your bad example. But not necessarily representative of the population on Donegal as a whole.
    I presume from your user name your from Kerry,so i will forgive you for not knowing that contrary to what you think Donegal is indeed unique in so far as the rule of law,restrictions,regulations,do not apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Corholio wrote: »

Um....I don't envy anyone having to deal with the on/off nature of schools but you actually completed missed the point of my post.

Sarcasm? If so apologies for not picking up on it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

Except these were charged while exercising their right to protest which is a cornerstone of democracy.

We can argue back and forth weather that right should be suspended or not, but it is suspended and thus democracy with it.

The suspension of which may be justified, but people have no way to communicate their displeasure at the handling of this crisis for the last few weeks and intended handling of the crisis into the future so I think we are stuck as we are for a long time

They were charged because they refused to give the Gardai their names and addresses. If they had not refused they wouldn’t have been in court, they would probably have been fined for being outside their 5km and their details wouldn’t be a matter of public record.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Are we just going to have to accept that 300-700 cases daily is going to be par for the course with this lockdown? I’m not sure what else the government expect to be honest one year into this and pretty much six months of level 5 with a two week reprieve, and the added failures of the vaccine rollout failure and quarantine failure. We will never see numbers <100 like we did last summer. It’s pretty pointless continually punishing people who can’t wander more than 5k, for government failures

Not the point, tell the nation that they can't go anywhere or meet anyone, yet the door is wide open of you want to come here. Do you really expect people to remain focused and on side with anything after that?

It's double standards and is an insult to people's intelligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Skyfloater wrote: »
    The Business post had a list on here a month ago or so. It wasn't the most accurate but will give you ballpark.

Thanks. You’d hardly have a link?

If that really mattered a jot, there would be no need for quarantine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Why is the last vaccine group phase for adults 18-54? Surely there should be a 40-54 first logically. Not arguing for that, but it seems illogical not to break the group down as it has for higher age groups.

Yeah, the last group is way too big and way too broad (it is actually 16-54). Inevitably it will get broken down into further groups. The UK had a big final group too and they broke it down into 50+, 40+ etc. I suspect the same will happen here. It needs to occur in descending age order in accordance with risk of death.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement