Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIII-231,484 ROI(4,610 deaths)116,197 NI (2,107 deaths)(23/03)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭covidrelease

Who will have taken their test prior to boarding.

So if I take a test am I exempt from the 5K rule?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 92 ✭✭Wearing of The Green

darced wrote: »
    Saving a few cases for the next announcement, get the fear going.

You'd be sick of this crap. If they were saving cases why would they announce a backlog today when there's no restrictions announcement?

There was no holding back of cases for a Patrick's Day scare either. It's cliched rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

But what strange synchronised event could have happened to allow this to happen?

ClassicWhiteBarracuda-small.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Wombatman wrote: »
    Any of them have any suggestions on how to address it?

Lifting restrictions = a marked increase in cases. Think Christmas.

Allowing cases to shoot up, with a few months to go before decent vaccine coverage, sounds like madness to me.

Its not up to us to suggest anything . Its up to the Government to get its act together .
    34k people waltzing into the country with no quarantine . Track and trace not up to scratch , ICU beds no adequate , hospital capacity not adequate . They had 12 months to get this sorted and nothing done
    There is no point lecturing the public about giving a little more when they have no more to give
    Mental health issues are rising fast and none of this is being addressed
    The people are desperate for leadership and guidance and its obvious now they are pleading for it .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Every single person I have spoken to or texted for the past two weeks are unanimous in saying

“ I AM SO FECKIN FED UP NOW “

Every age group are struggling now and it needs to be addressed

Agree but some for different reasons. Alot of parents and teachers don't feel safe and are anxious. Other groups then not happy in lockdown which is obviously very understanding. Its a balancing act and the government have it wrong at the moment. If they wanted cases below 200 opening schools was counterintuitive and prolonged pain for the rest of society.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Natterjack from Kerry

So if I take a test am I exempt from the 5K rule?

Of course not. But nor are those who came into the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭cheezums

i mean who the **** are these people flying into ireland?? some essential support workers, but surely that's only a small proportion of it.

absolute shambles.

No idea what you are trying to say, is it ok for 34000 people to come in from all over the world because they took a test or do you see an issue with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

jackboy wrote: »
    Will be interesting this Friday. School due to close for two week Easter holidays. Wonder will children have to bring home all books on Friday in case the school will not be opening after the holidays.

I would be in favour of schools remaining open at all costs.

Schools is incredibly important in a child’s development socially, mentally and physically.

I’d like to see has there been any discussion on the effects of the long term absenteeism we have had for a lot of the last year?

Luke O Neill wrote a piece on the importance of schools from a developmental point of view in May 2020 in the Irish independent (I think) and I’ve not heard him mention it since

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

JTMan wrote: »
    Yeah, the last group is way too big and way too broad (it is actually 16-54). Inevitably it will get broken down into further groups. The UK had a big final group too and they broke it down into 50+, 40+ etc. I suspect the same will happen here. It needs to occur in descending age order in accordance with risk of death.

That’s already happening with the third cohort. This group is 75+ (Might be 65, but anyways) and the rollout was 85+ followed by 80-85 and I think they’re starting 75-80 this week. I’d expect the same with the other larger age groups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

They shouldn't have been allowed to come here at all, or at least in such an uncontrolled manner.

It's an insult to everyone who followed the rules and is a perfect example of yet another f*ck up from the people who we are supposed to be blindly listening to.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

cheezums wrote: »
    i mean who the **** are these people flying into ireland?? some essential support workers, but surely that's only a small proportion of it.

absolute shambles.
    There are a pack of cvnts who are heading off on sun holidays "for me mental health" and basically don't give a **** about anyone else.

NPHET have been saying for a year now that more has to be done about travel, and while I appreciate the difficulties when we have an open border up north, theres been no real attempts to do anything about it until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Locotastic wrote: »
    They shouldn't have been allowed to come here at all, or at least in such an uncontrolled manner.

It's an insult to everyone who followed the rules and is a perfect example of yet another f*ck up from the people who we are supposed to be blindly listening to.

I suspect you'll find a lot of them were irish people returning home. Not like 34000 people just decided to go to Ireland for the craic in the middle of a pandemic.

Static Jac on Reddit Ireland's Sunday data
    So that's 3,864 cases this week.

An increase of 320 cases compared to last week and the first week we've seen an increase rather than a decrease in cases since the lockdown took effect.

To just add, from Gavin Reilly:

"Based on figures of daily swabs in last few days, and Wednesday being a bank holiday, there was probably a minor backlog of cases being reported"

But then Richard Chambers with:

Not a backlog, I’m told. Hopefully not a trend though.

A list of previous weeks (Mon-Sun) for anyone interested:

A graph of weekly cases.

All information gathered on gov.ie from the Department of Health.
    • Week 53 - 15,759 (National Level 5: 30/12)
    • Week 01 (2021) - 45,770
    • Week 02 - 25,212
    • Week 03 - 14,877
    • Week 04 - 9,016
    • Week 05 - 7,170
    • Week 06 - 6,044
    • Week 07 - 5,564
    • Week 08 - 4,574
    • Week 09 - 3,660
    • Week 10 - 3,544
    • Week 11 - 3,864 (This Week)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Slide1.jpg
    Slide2.jpg
    Slide3.jpg
    Slide4.jpg
    Slide5.jpg
    Slide6.jpg
    Slide7.jpg
    Slide8.jpg
    Slide9.jpg
    Slide10.jpg
    Slide12.jpg
    Slide15.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

ddarcy wrote: »
    That’s already happening with the third cohort. This group is 75+ (Might be 65, but anyways) and the rollout was 85+ followed by 80-85 and I think they’re starting 75-80 this week. I’d expect the same with the other larger age groups.

Do we know how many people are in this group?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

darced wrote: »
    I'm in Donegal and can confirm no one is sticking to restrictions anymore, myself included.

I'm in Cork, we are sticking to the rules and we have feck all cases. This needs to be regionalised. Don't see why I should be punished for the actions of people 400km+ away from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭fits

Strong case for easing of restrictions in cork and Kerry tbh before anywhere else.

I'm in Cork, we are sticking to the rules and we have feck all cases. This needs to be regionalised. Don't see why I should be punished for the actions of people 400km+ away from me.

I am sticking to the rules too , people down the road are not . How do we deal with that dilemma then ?

fits wrote: »
    Strong case for easing of restrictions in cork and Kerry tbh before anywhere else.

If, and it is an if, the figures in Cork and Kerry stay as is then it also shows this isn't a school related issue. We opened our schools down here at the same time as everyone else and yet I know Corks rate anyway has fallen from ca. 80 to 45 per 100,000 over the same 3 week period. At nearly 600,000 people, and with an urban / rural mix and population density that mirrors the whole Country, if our numbers stay down (and again, that is an if) it is proof this could and should be happening country wide.

• Advertisement

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I am sticking to the rules too , people down the road are not . How do we deal with that dilemma then ?

I was replying to the Donegal guy who said no one in Donegal, including himself, was sticking to the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Has anyone heard from poor George Lee since those numbers were announced?

I'm in Cork, we are sticking to the rules and we have feck all cases.

I'm in Dublin and I've no problem with Cork going to Level 3 at the most

Whatever they're doing in Cork, they're doing it right

Spain since the start of this has locked down harshly the most infected areas and freed up the areas doing much better

There needs to be a new approach and I dare say tomorrow's briefing will be one of the most Bullshít Bingo filled ones yet

They should at least test the waters from April 5.

This constant living in fear is not living with COVID; it's the precise opposite - running away from COVID.

Other countries have managed it. There is no reason to assume Ireland is any different.

If people are on the move even more, then it's the same as having some things open anyway.

I was replying to the Donegal guy who said no one in Donegal, including himself, was sticking to the rules.

Yes I understand that but there are people everywhere sticking to the rules while others dont . I don’t know the answer to it but at the minute it’s incredibly frustrating for most of us regardless of where we live

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

The problem is what lockdown?, par a few shops closed on your main street it seems now everything else is open for business including were i work (non essential) a lot are getting the call to go back to work now if they want a job in the future, All are open in the business park were i work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

seamus wrote: »
    There are a pack of cvnts who are heading off on sun holidays "for me mental health" and basically don't give a **** about anyone else.

NPHET have been saying for a year now that more has to be done about travel, and while I appreciate the difficulties when we have an open border up north, theres been no real attempts to do anything about it until now.

'for me mental health' another subtle dig at the working class

Because that's all who are going on sun holidays . Also the ones who went on the ski ones last year I assume

"we are sticking to the rules" - Rubbish, no way everybody in Cork is following the rules.

Cork has the second highest number of fines in the country issued for non compliance per 100000 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    The problem is what lockdown?, par a few shops closed on your main street it seems now everything else is open for business including were i work (non essential) a lot are getting the call to go back to work now if they want a job in the future, All are open in the business park were i work.

Sligo is a ghost-town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 jacksonsarm

If, and it is an if, the figures in Cork and Kerry stay as is then it also shows this isn't a school related issue. We opened our schools down here at the same time as everyone else and yet I know Corks rate anyway has fallen from ca. 80 to 45 per 100,000 over the same 3 week period. At nearly 600,000 people, and with an urban / rural mix and population density that mirrors the whole Country, if our numbers stay down (and again, that is an if) it is proof this could and should be happening country wide.

I hope you're right, but is there a bit of a lag with Cork? I recall before Cork was quite low previously and numbers shot up whilst other more active areas stabilised.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement