Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIII-231,484 ROI(4,610 deaths)116,197 NI (2,107 deaths)(23/03)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Crazy high numbers, I wonder does it coincide with the schools opening. Schools were opened after summer with no plan and massive spikes happened.

Now it seems that schools opening again with no plan and numbers are spiking again, who would have thought?
    Mother's Day and Paddy's Day activities are being implicated and are far more likely culprits. There are plenty of claims in this forum of people not heeding guidelines, something that has also been hinted at by the powers that be more than once.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

is_that_so wrote: »
    Mother's Day and Paddy's Day activities are being implicated and are far more likely culprits. There are plenty of claims in this forum of people not heeding guidelines, something that has also been hinted at by the powers that be more than once.

Patrick’s Day figures won’t be seen yet, and in all likelihood Mothers Day might not either. Cases take anything from 5 to 15 days to feed through.

What Paddys day activities? It was like every other day. A walk :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

When people pointed to rising numbers a week after schools reopened, they were told on here that it was too soon to tell whether schools were playing a role. Yet we're supposed to believe mother's day (a week ago) and Paddy's day (5 days ago) can be blamed for our current numbers?

I understand the need to keep schools open but we need to acknowledge their role in spread and stop trying to blame literally anything else.

What Paddys day activities? It was like every other day for most. A walk :confused:
    People gathering and meeting, sessions etc. All it takes is a small cohort in the most socially active groups and add in a large number of contacts. Almost 25% positivity in contacts will spread it.

• Advertisement

When people pointed to rising numbers a week after schools reopened, they were told on here that it was too soon to tell whether schools were playing a role. Yet we're supposed to believe mother's day (a week ago) and Paddy's day (5 days ago) can be blamed for our current numbers?

I understand the need to keep schools open but we need to acknowledge their role in spread and stop trying to blame literally anything else.
    The HSE maintain it's not a driver. How is it that people will accept the rest of their data but not that of schools?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Just on the hotel quarantine that's apparently being implemented soon

Who makes sure people go from the airport to the hotel ?

Will it be the job of the gardai ? Do we have the resources ?

Or will it again just be if you don't do this you are bold and will be fined

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

I agree it is common sense they are a a driver of higher numbers, but the fact that many counties have had falling rates over the last 3 weeks suggests they are not THE driver. On an imby basis, numbers have fallen steadily here in Cork over the last 3 weeks. You'd think a county this big and populous couldn't avoid big school outbreaks if they were happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

The HSE maintain it's not a driver. How is it that people will accept the rest of their data but not that of schools?

Because it doesn’t make sense.

Your claiming 2 days of increased contacts etc (one of which wouldn’t even show up yet) is the problem yet 2 weeks of increased contacts in schools is grand!

Why do you think “community transmission” goes up with schools back because the vast majority of cases from schools get classed that way.

But no it was Mother’s Day!

I agree it is common sense they are a a driver of higher numbers, but the fact that many counties have had falling rates over the last 3 weeks suggests they are not THE driver. On an imby basis, numbers have fallen steadily here in Cork over the last 3 weeks. You'd think a county this big and populous couldn't avoid big school outbreaks if they were happening.

And on the flip side in the last week or so numbers have jumped here in Wexford, all from schools.

Multiple cases in 3 schools in my local town alone.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 962 ✭✭✭irishblessing

Because the data in schools are being misrepresented.

The government's main agenda in keeping the schools open are so that parents are able to go to work. In order to keep the economy ticking and parents working, many cases are put down to 'community' or 'household' transmissions which skews the data. The government were always willing to risk this politically because for one parents have pushed for it and employers still have their demands, and the government knows children are always less likely to be seriously ill or to die.

That's why we have different definitions for close contacts in the school sector as well. To keep them open, and to keep teachers being off because there aren't enough subs.

Of course schools are having an impact on the numbers. Small, over crowded classrooms and unmasked children in primary, unmasked in secondary while they eat with the heads together at lunch-what could go wrong? Not implementing masks in primary was a mistake.

the kelt wrote: »
    Because it doesn’t make sense.

Your claiming 2 days of increased contacts etc (one of which wouldn’t even show up yet) is the problem yet 2 weeks of increased contacts in schools is grand!

Why do you think “community transmission” goes up with schools back because the vast majority of cases from schools get classed that way.

But no it was Mother’s Day!
    You might want to revisit the meaning of the word "claim". I said it has been suggested. I have no opinion on the data. I'm certainly not qualified to evaluate it apart from to acknowledge that it is the data and that I believe it has been presented truthfully. You are free to believe otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,360 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Because the data in schools are being misrepresented.

The government's main agenda in keeping the schools open are so that parents are able to go to work. In order to keep the economy ticking and parents working, many cases are put down to 'community' or 'household' transmissions which skews the data. The government were always willing to risk this politically because for one parents have pushed for it and employers still have their demands, and the government knows children are always less likely to be seriously ill or to die.

That's why we have different definitions for close contacts in the school sector as well. To keep them open, and to keep teachers being off because there aren't enough subs.

Of course schools are having an impact on the numbers. Small, over crowded classrooms and unmasked children in primary, unmasked in secondary while they eat with the heads together at lunch-what could go wrong? Not implementing masks in primary was a mistake.

Only someone detached from reality would suggest masks all day for 4 - 10 year olds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Just on the hotel quarantine that's apparently being implemented soon

Who makes sure people go from the airport to the hotel ?

Will it be the job of the gardai ? Do we have the resources ?

Or will it again just be if you don't do this you are bold and will be fined

I read a newspaper front page that said the Gardai felt it was a waste of resources. Whilst the ridiculous 5km stoppages are for some reason.

If there’s no security presence at the hotels we may forget about it. On the other hand it will probably be ****e anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Hooked

Asylum15 wrote: »
    A family member of mine recently booked a holiday to Lanzarote from Dublin and drove from Cork to Dublin, spent a week there and then returned to Cork. (We are all furious with said person). However, she was not stopped once at a checkpoint either way and did not get a single fine.

Then last week I drove from Cork City to Fermoy to deliver crucial meds to my aunt (diabetic, doesn't drive) and was stopped by a Garda who absolutely smashed the ears off me and handed me a nice fine.

It's this type of stuff makes me wonder.

You should've smashed the ears off the clown of a Garda...

Under Level 5, travel restriction can be broken for, and I quote:

"for vital family reasons, such as providing care to children, elderly or vulnerable people, and in particular for those who live alone, but excluding social family visits"

They have a code of ethics to follow! And should be reminded of this!!!

Be sure to remind the Garda when you appear in court for (rightly) not paying the fine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 962 ✭✭✭irishblessing

lawred2 wrote: »
    Only someone detached from reality would suggest masks all day for 4 - 10 year olds

Are all the other countries who have, 'detached from reality?' Or the countries who use them year round out of courtesy when ill or pollution? What about 10-13?

You might want to revisit the meaning of the word "claim". I said it has been suggested. I have no opinion on the data. I'm certainly not qualified to evaluate it apart from to acknowledge that it is the data and that I believe it has been presented truthfully. You are free to believe otherwise.

So what data told you it was a suggested spike from paddy’s day?

And who said data wasn’t being presented truthfully? Community cases go up when schools go back. Do you think it’s just a coincidence!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭bennyl10

lawred2 wrote: »

Funny how this isn’t an issue for other countries?

Children can wear masks! They spread disease the same as everyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

11521323 wrote: »
    The percentage of people following is dropping by the day, go outside and see for yourself. It's not a small subset of selfish individuals, people all over the country are sick and tired of this shambolic management by our leaders.

... and absolutely no sense of personal responsibility. It's always someone else's fault.

So what data told you it was a suggested spike from paddy’s day?
    You're conflating two things here, data as we get it and what I've been talking about and the suggestion/explanation that recent potential gathering events may play a part in the rise, which comes from this article, not me.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/another-surge-in-covid-19-possible-just-ahead-of-decision-time-on-lifting-curbs-1.4516285

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

A friend of mine is a teacher in a county with low numbers. There have been 3 cases in his CLASS, but all are being treated as community transmission by the HSE. Nobody deemed a close contact and no mass testing undertaken.

I want my kids in school but I’d much prefer that we weren’t fed this BS that schools are some sort of Narnia.

... and absolutely no sense of personal responsibility. It's always someone else's fault.
    Just as there is always someone else to blame for our situation!

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

Turtwig wrote: »
    Aye but they all have plans right? Right???

Yep, they mostly all have plans driven by hospitalisation and ICU numbers together with a more balanced and nuanced set of restrictions that open more clearly safe activities and keep those which are actually dangerous, closed. They achieve higher public buy in due to logical and rational application of these restrictions and they do not hang every move on a stale, outdated team of public health professionals during a bi-weekly conference.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Cases are going up because of schools.

There's a trade off and always will be with covid.

Schools are the trade off and rightly so.

Cases are going up because of schools.

There's a trade off and always will be with covid.

Schools are the trade off and rightly so.

Exactly, higher case numbers were always the price to pay for schools going back, and i agree they need to be back, but its amazing how many people dont get that. Must be mothers Day!

You're conflating two things here, data as we get it and what I've been talking about and the suggestion/explanation that recent potential gathering events may play a part in the rise, which comes from this article, not me.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/another-surge-in-covid-19-possible-just-ahead-of-decision-time-on-lifting-curbs-1.4516285

Ok so now your speculating as to what might happen because when someone suggested previously it was schools causing the numbers you said

Mother's Day and Paddy's Day activities are being implicated and are far more likely culprits

And then you said the following

People gathering and meeting, sessions etc. All it takes is a small cohort in the most socially active groups and add in a large number of contacts. Almost 25% positivity in contacts will spread it.

Because the above could only happen on Mothers Day and Paddy Day and not EVERY day in schools. People gathering in socially active settings indoors, un masked FIVE days a week couldnt be the reason!!

Sure!!

Exactly, higher case numbers were always the price to pay for schools going back, and i agree they need to be back, but its amazing how many people dont get that. Must be mothers Day!
    Three events last week, two of which could have involved adults behaving badly and yet you're convinced the one that doesn't is to blame despite knowing that adults caused our Christmas surge.

One thing is for certain, NPHET will almost definitely recommend continuing Lv. 5 restrictions post-April 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,358 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Journal article saying hospitalisations rose again yesterday.

They do realise very few people get discharged at the weekend.

• Advertisement

Three events last week, two of which could have involved adults behaving badly and yet you're convinced the one that doesn't is to blame despite knowing that adults caused our Christmas surge.

So only adults misbehaving that caused our Christmas surge!!!

Ok then!

Schools back, literally thousands more people on the move every day of the week, thousands of students back indoors in crowded classrooms, thousands of teachers back out mobilising again as a result but no, virus only spreads to those behaving badly apparently

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement