Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIII-231,484 ROI(4,610 deaths)116,197 NI (2,107 deaths)(23/03)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Is it people don’t get discharged or that the paper work doesn’t get done until Monday?

Always a bounce at the weekend and then a drop on Monday/Tuesday for the total hospital figure but ICU number seems to be kept up to date

A mix of both, but generally for someone to be discharged they may need to see doctors in different departments they are linked with for sign off, and some departments, maybe like physio, etc, will have skeleton cover at weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,053 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Turtwig wrote: »
    It is most bizarre that 1,000 cases daily is considered low. :confused:

1000 cases a days while opening parts of the economy seems realistic to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Turtwig wrote: »
    When we can confidently state rising case numbers won't lead to significant increases in hospital admissions. Certainly not at the present moment in time.
    Israel seem to have just about reached that point at 50% of adults vaccinated and with wide re-opening (but still masks etc.), so there's hope there I think. I suspect they probably have a lot more immunity from previous infections compared to us as there was widescale non-compliance by some of their population, so we'll need something a bit larger as a percentage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

The GP referral data for Friday is out. Similar to Thursday, but double the previous week. Hopefully this falls back again this week.

https://tomorrowscare.ie/covid/2021-03-22_COVID_GP_Survey_Results.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 15,260 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

hmmm wrote: »
    Israel seem to have just about reached that point at 50% of adults vaccinated and with wide re-opening (but still masks etc.), so there's hope there I think. I suspect they probably have a lot more immunity from previous infections compared to us as there was widescale non-compliance by some of their population, so we'll need something a bit larger as a percentage.

Latest on Israel

https://twitter.com/segal_eran/status/1373876560030208006?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

lawred2 wrote: »
    Well given the annual trolley crises and outrageous waiting lists we had to hear about pre Covid, begs the question as to what it is our health system is actually built for?

I believe you missed the point made. Regardless of issues pre- covid. I'm unaware of any heath system in the world which was designed to cope with a pandemic.

Perhaps get on to your TD and lobby them about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

The GP referral data for Friday is out. Similar to Thursday, but double the previous week. Hopefully this falls back again this week.

Yeah, that's bad. It has been a reliable indicator for anticipating previous waves.

While I've been a great believer in this being a good metric of how things are going in the past (and it absolutely has been)I've had some doubts over the last week.

Purely down to how it fluctuates daily. I still think its a great resource and does give a decent insight.

However, GPs actually filling in the survey is very fluid, some days in the 80s, some days in the 140s +

Then you've also gaps in responses, Dublin 20 for example, no response since 1st March and then adds in 5 for the 19th. That'll bump things up a bit, same for Dublin 7, 2 days no response then adds in a 4.

While Offaly which has quite clearly had an issue recently and has a town with the highest incidence in the country reports very little.

Don't get me wrong it's a great resource and absolutely should be referenced, I've just started looking at it a little more in the last week which raised a few doubts (probably because I'd a week off work and nothing else to do with everything closed)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

A positive spin to the pandemic wouldn't go amiss.

The house is on fire, but sure isn't there a grand heat off it all the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭covidrelease

gozunda wrote: »
    I believe you missed the point made. Regardless of issues pre- covid. I'm unaware of any heath system in the world which was designed to cope with a pandemic.

Perhaps get on to your TD and lobby them about it.

The pandemic started over a year ago, plenty of time by now to design in surge capacity, extra ventilators, step down facilities, extra ICU units etc. etc.

That is what we were sold over a year ago, flatten the curve, give us time to put things in place.

• Advertisement

The pandemic started over a year ago, plenty of time by now to design in surge capacity, extra ventilators, step down facilities, extra ICU units etc. etc.

That is what we were sold over a year ago, flatten the curve, give us time to put things in place.

100% and look at this...hhhhmmmmmmm increase capacity or stand here for worlds most expensive warehouse photo opportunity..f*cking buffoon..

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/money/other/questions-over-25m-cost-for-leasing-a-mostly-empty-citywest/ar-BB1eKExT?ocid=entnewsntp

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Late April I think the situation will be looking alot better here.

wadacrack wrote: »

Yeah I'd agree. Over 70s look well on track for 2 dose by mid May and 1 dose as we know offers partial protection so should have have impact of some sort by then.

Then its a case of how quickly supply comes in to move down through Cohort 4 and the age groups

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

wadacrack wrote: »
    It'll all be down to those darned supplies!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

This is excellent. It should be noted that they've implemented a 'green pass' whereby the economy is fully open to those vaccinated. Not a huge issue as they were so fast getting many vaccinated, so there wasn't a long wait for people. The issue here with a similar scheme would be a mix of people disagreeing with the idea of a pass and also unfair to those who have to wait ~6 months for a vaccine. That's without questioning who would even enforce it, if anyone. Can't imagine all businesses closed for a year to be filtering customers.

rusty cole wrote: »
    100% and look at this...hhhhmmmmmmm increase capacity or stand here for worlds most expensive warehouse photo opportunity..f*cking buffoon..

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/money/other/questions-over-25m-cost-for-leasing-a-mostly-empty-citywest/ar-BB1eKExT?ocid=entnewsntp

Ah that is a bit harsh, his covid tracker app is world class and cost less than €1 million.:D

I think most people accept we need restrictions, but they need to be the right ones and proportionate to the number of cases at a point in time.

Construction closed is ridiculous, everybody is working away anyway, either insider doing nixers (arguably more dangerous) than on outdoor sites. The government / NPHET should accept this rather than pretend its not happening.

The 5K rule, implemented at ~8000 cases a day but still in place, all it doing is pissing people off and turning people away from compliance.

Gatherings outside, no reason not to allow outdoor gatherings at picnic benches, outside coffee shops etc., people are doing it indoors instead which is more dangerous.

Last week NPHET went on a rant about takeaway pints, all the big Paddys day parties / Cheltenham gatherings took place indoors, it would be much safer to allow some level of outdoor drinking in controlled environments.

The government / NPHET need to accept that these tough measures are not acceptable and counterproductive.

To the best of my knowledge bars and restaurants in New York staying largely open all winter, either outdoors or 25% capacity etc.

I see what you're saying.

The issue with tables, benches or what have you especially where people are drinking and talking together is close contact and close proximity.

Even if that is outdoors. And yeah I agree inside is worse. But there's the conundrum. At the moment cases are rising. How do you control 25% capacity of unregulated outdoor seating? Whats the solution?

To be honest - as far as I'm concerned- the 5km rule is little different from the stay at home order in the UK which is still in place there and elsewhere where only local travel is permitted. Again they're measures to help prevent whole crowds of people from all over travelling distances to locations and all stopping for refreshments, toilets etc. People tend to act like lemmings at the best of times in these places.

I can still travel for a whole bunch of reasons- I think way too many people have taken the 5 km limit to mean they have to stay in their bedrooms. It doesn't

We need to get people vaccinated so those who dont or won't bother with the restrictions (and we've always had those) are infecting fewer people and then we can open up in earnest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Asylum15 wrote: »
    A family member of mine recently booked a holiday to Lanzarote from Dublin and drove from Cork to Dublin, spent a week there and then returned to Cork. (We are all furious with said person). However, she was not stopped once at a checkpoint either way and did not get a single fine.

Then last week I drove from Cork City to Fermoy to deliver crucial meds to my aunt (diabetic, doesn't drive) and was stopped by a Garda who absolutely smashed the ears off me and handed me a nice fine.

It's this type of stuff makes me wonder.
    I'd be contesting that fine. Delivering crucial medication to a diabetic surely falls under the description of an essential journey.

Since the Garda in question would be easily identifiable from the fine paperwork I'd go as far as making a complaint to the district superintendent, ask for written confirmation that the fine was cancelled and suggest that some members under their command are in much need of some reeducation.

gozunda wrote: »
    I see what you're saying.

The issue with tables, benches or what have you especially where people are drinking and talking together is close contact and close proximity.

Even if that is outdoors. And yeah I agree inside is worse. But there's the conundrum. At the moment cases are rising. How do you control 25% capacity of unregulated outdoor seating? Whats the solution?

To be honest - as far as I'm concerned- the 5km rule is little different from the stay at home order in the UK which is still in place there and elsewhere where only local travel is permitted. Again they're measures to help prevent whole crowds of people from all over travelling distances to locations and all stopping for refreshments, toilets etc. People tend to act like lemmings at the best of times in these places.

I can still travel for a whole bunch of reasons- I think way too many people have taken the 5 km limit to mean they have to stay in their bedrooms. It doesn't

We need to get people vaccinated so those who dont or won't bother with the restrictions (and we've always had those) are infecting fewer people and then we can open up in earnest.

I'd be suggesting alcohol be consumed outdoors in controlled environments, like pub beer gardens, say 50 people maximum on the premises, tables 2 metres apart, 6 people to a table etc.

Picnic tables 3 metres apart outside coffee shops, chippers etc. but no alcohol.

A lot of people would accept something like that and it would take away the pent up demand that happened at christmas.

If cases go above say 3000 a day then its 4 to a table outside a pub and 40 max. on the premises for example.

In essence a sliding scale of restrictions based on 14 day average.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

This is excellent. It should be noted that they've implemented a 'green pass' whereby the economy is fully open to those vaccinated. Not a huge issue as they were so fast getting many vaccinated, so there wasn't a long wait for people. The issue here with a similar scheme would be a mix of people disagreeing with the idea of a pass and also unfair to those who have to wait ~6 months for a vaccine. That's without questioning who would even enforce it, if anyone. Can't imagine all businesses closed for a year to be filtering customers.

6 months is a bit ambitious.

Realistically, they should have teams set up to vax people on the way out/in of core businesses for those who want it.

• Advertisement

Indeed and we have considering health services have been dealing with non stop admissions of covid patients over that year.

Personally I believe we have had a very inefficient health service. But seeing whats happened in the last year- i think overall it had have been managed fairly well.

And yes they've increased the surge capacity with up to a 1000 covid patients being dealt with at a time.

A significant amount of money has been spent on coping with the redeployment of existing healtcare services towards the treatment and management of covid patients and increased real-time ICU admissions.

And yes we have seen a rise in ICU capacity. Available data shows the baseline capacity in ICU increased up to 280 up from 255 in March / April 2020. Afaik the surge capacity for ICU beds stands at approx 350.

It also has to be understood that ICU capacity is not just beds - but also fully trained and available clinical staff, clinical space, clinical equipment, oxygen supply and
    Hospital / Hospital Group / HSE system supports. And yes more ventilators were bought although less invasive oxygen support is increasingly used where possible.

As for 'flatten the curve - you do know what that means?

It means keeping down the rate of infection in the community so that those infected and sick don't all end up in the hospital in one big block

It doesn't mean building a 100 hospitals so we can let the virus rip as was being suggested elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Irish Times:

"The National Public Health Emergency Team (Nphet) last night reported 769 cases and two deaths. Health officials had been expressing concern about case numbers appearing to be stuck at about 500 to 600 per day for the last few weeks, but yesterday’s total was the highest since February 26th.

Government sources said the figures were not surprising and that further increases could be expected once the full effects of St Patrick’s Day, Mother’s Day and the recent good weather became evident later this week."

But 200 was backlog related yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Irish Times:

"The National Public Health Emergency Team (Nphet) last night reported 769 cases and two deaths. Health officials had been expressing concern about case numbers appearing to be stuck at about 500 to 600 per day for the last few weeks, but yesterday’s total was the highest since February 26th.

Government sources said the figures were not surprising and that further increases could be expected once the full effects of St Patrick’s Day, Mother’s Day and the recent good weather became evident later this week."

There was a backlog of 200+ but we don't have swab data for Sunday yet, so we don't know how much of the 769 was the backlog, and how much was new swabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Irish Times:

Ignoring the immunological benefits of being outside, mixing outdoors is a lot better than mixing indoors. 'Government sources' are making up excuses at this stage. I wouldn't be surprised to see a distinct fall in cases in two weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Seems theres talk on social media about outbreak in Carrick-on-Suir and a school there closing out of caution. Havent seen anything in media yet so could be hearsay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

While lockdowns can be effective, long lockdowns are not because the human element comes into the equation a lot stronger then. Outside of barricading people into their homes, you need wide scale buy in and acceptance. That erodes over time. You have people who have been living their day to day lives all their adult life and managing their own risk have all this taken away from them. Of course an increasing percentage of the population are going to stop complying with certain aspects. Especially those that have not seen an negative effects of Covid directly within their own circle.

5KM and essential trips are out the window for a large amount of people now. Schools going back further increased this as loads using the schools excuse at checkpoints and schools being back optically present a sense of normality. Peoples behavior would change on the back of this. Lots more house visits now because there is encouragement to meet outside. So people sneaking into houses with bags to make it appear their dropping off something essential. Also you've people who haven't caught it and follow restrictions close enough mixing with others doing the same as they see it as low risk. "if i haven't caught it by being careful, then i assume my mates John and Mary haven't caught it either" type of logic.

Even outside of opening anything else up. A 20-25 KM limit and encouraging people to go outside and meet would have been a much better approach. I believe it would have done a world of good for peoples overall health and kept people on board with other aspects of restrictions. A majority of people want to follow restrictions. They don't want to break rules or laws. If there was encouragement to meet outside, i think there would have been a lot less house visits because people would go for the option without fear of hitting checkpoints or people seeing them outside mixing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Backlog deliberately held back to intensify the fear with a high number and lower expectations regarding relaxing of restrictions

• Registered Users Posts: 4,862 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

That Cavan idiot who is also a priest and said mass to 40 people in contravention of the law needs to be sent to the slammer for a year.
    Reckless idiots. Thank god we now live in a society that can call out idiot clergy without being burnt at the stake.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

A lot of people went drinking and meeting at the Lough in Cork on Wednesday. Paddy’s Day + fine weather. Cue outrage galore on local radio the following morning with plenty of videos of the crowds there.

I can imagine and understand why many of those who went there on Wednesday opt to meet up indoors the next time where they won’t be filmed and shamed.

The outrage merchants don’t seem to understand the concept of substitution. Then again neither do the Government by the looks of things. If you ban the sale of beef, beef fans won’t stop eating. They’ll eat chicken or something similar instead. If you discourage people meeting in safe(r) outdoor environments it will drive them elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

That Cavan idiot who is also a priest and said mass to 40 people in contravention of the law needs to be sent to the slammer for a year.
    Reckless idiots. Thank god we now live in a society that can call out idiot clergy without being burnt at the stake.
    Well, masses at the moment are a bit like in Penal times! I saw a mass yesterday with everyone outside but a sizable distanced crowd.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement