Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIII-231,484 ROI(4,610 deaths)116,197 NI (2,107 deaths)(23/03)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭ek motor

My point is - we have half a million people vaccinated which is brilliant news. All healthcare and home care people done ie the most vulnerable.

Potential to get 1m people done per month in April, May and June.

We are coming out of this, just need to sit tight for another month or two. Every reason to be optimistic IMO.

Too many fvcking doom merchants :rolleyes:

What was the target for q1 , 1.25 million ? We wont even get close to that . People are going to sceptical that the targets for q2 and q3 aren't going to be met.

It will most certainly be more than a month or two before we reach a critical mass of vaccinations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Igotadose wrote: »
    It's 'better than nothing' news is all. The nonsense with AZ just cost a week.

Some countries are far, far ahead like Israel, which is a smaller, densely populated country with enormous challenges, yet if we could travel there you could walk into a surgery or pharmacy (I think) and get a vaccine.

To date, Irelands not managed 100k doses in a week. How will they do a million in April? Maybe with 24x7 vaccine centers and a huge mobilization of vaccinators, maybe.

And the HSE can't even get the number of doses for Sneem correct. Why should we suddenly expect a million doses to show up on our shores on April 1 and get into a million arms in a couple weeks?

You seem to be confusing the rollout nos constraints between supply and ability to give doses.

If we were supplied 1m doses in April yes I think we could administer them.

Supply is the issue and this is the fault of the EU - they tried to be cute and negotiate down a better price for the vaccines whilst Israel and the UK stormed ahead.

The EU vaccine contracts have been an absolute joke and shameful.

im all for optimism but do you honestly think we will be vaccinating 1m a month from april, not a ****ing hope

Even if we got half a million each in those months that would allow significant ease of restrictions.

What's population of Ireland - 5.5m?

Say we had 0.7m done by end of March.
    0.5m per month in Q2.
    Brings us up to 2.2m out of adult population of what 4.5m?

That's almost 50% of adults and 100% of vulnerable meaning pretty much 100% ease of restrictions on 1 July. Still need social distancing and masks I'd say.

Everything outdoor should be open right now IMO - dining, sports etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

You seem to be confusing the rollout nos constraints between supply and ability to give doses.

If we were supplied 1m doses in April yes I think we could administer them.

Supply is the issue and this is the fault of the EU - they tried to be cute and negotiate down a better price for the vaccines whilst Israel and the UK stormed ahead.

The EU vaccine contracts have been an absolute joke and shameful.
    Israel paid double and agreed to provide data so they are effectively a clinical trial. Misgivings about EU contracts aside they can't be blamed for a company consistently failing to meet any committed targets and with the same great customer service likely to run into Q2 and beyond. Once the EU get their original order they will cut AZ loose. There will be no further EU options and individual countries will only order what can immediately be loaded into trucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭covidrelease

ek motor wrote: »
    What was the target for q1 , 1.25 million ? We wont even get close to that . People are going to sceptical that the targets for q2 and q3 aren't going to be met.

It will most certainly be more than a month or two before we reach a critical mass of vaccinations.

And that, possibly, throws everybodys summer plans up in the air, and kicks the can into autumn, when the weather is worse, health services struggling, new variant etc. etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

Some countries are far, far ahead like Israel, which is a smaller, densely populated country with enormous challenges, yet if we could travel there you could walk into a surgery or pharmacy (I think) and get a vaccine.

To date, Irelands not managed 100k doses in a week. How will they do a million in April? Maybe with 24x7 vaccine centers and a huge mobilization of vaccinators, maybe.

And the HSE can't even get the number of doses for Sneem correct. Why should we suddenly expect a million doses to show up on our shores on April 1 and get into a million arms in a couple weeks?

That's mostly down to supply. If you look at daily capacity, we can easily do 20k doses a day right now - but then it only last a couple of days because we don't have enough vaccines. And now we're doing a lot of Pfizer which is hard to handle.

I'm not saying that 1 million doses per month/250k doses per week is going to be easy, but you can't look at what we have now and say "we won't be able to".

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

muddypuppy wrote: »
    That's mostly down to supply. If you look at daily capacity, we can easily do 20k doses a day right now - but then it only last a couple of days because we don't have enough vaccines. And now we're doing a lot of Pfizer which is hard to handle.

I'm not saying that 1 million doses per month/250k doses per week is going to be easy, but you can't look at what we have now and say "we won't be able to".
    Most of the MVCs are not running yet and the GP and pharmacy network can do 85K a week. 250K should be a reasonable target but we may even aim for 300K.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

rusty cole wrote: »
    100% and look at this...hhhhmmmmmmm increase capacity or stand here for worlds most expensive warehouse photo opportunity..f*cking buffoon..

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/money/other/questions-over-25m-cost-for-leasing-a-mostly-empty-citywest/ar-BB1eKExT?ocid=entnewsntp

:confused:
    Citywest was all about increasing capacity. It was meant to be a field hospital, then a step down facility and finally a quarantine hotel for those that couldn't isolate at home. The extra capacity thankfully wasn't needed to the extent that it could handle at capacity.

You wouldn't be engaging in misrepresentation now would you? You'd rather it was full of sick people?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,374 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

just had a dental checkup and clean (and a filling thrown in) all staff vaccinated and much happier than when i was in 6 months ago !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

As has been repeated here on several occasions, they did 600,000+ flu vaccinations last November with minimum fuss. Doubling that number is possible with all hands on board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Even if we got half a million each in those months that would allow significant ease of restrictions.

What's population of Ireland - 5.5m?

Say we had 0.7m done by end of March.
    0.5m per month in Q2.
    Brings us up to 2.2m out of adult population of what 4.5m?

That's almost 50% of adults and 100% of vulnerable meaning pretty much 100% ease of restrictions on 1 July. Still need social distancing and masks I'd say.

Everything outdoor should be open right now IMO - dining, sports etc.

Is that qualified opinion?

Not even the UK who are miles ahead in the vaccination stakes have those open and despite provisional dates will only open them when they've reached vaccination targets and cases are kept low.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭11521323

gozunda wrote: »

Not even the UK who are miles ahead in the vaccination stakes have those open and despite provisional dates will only open them when they've reached vaccination targets and cases are kept low.

Plenty of "qualified" individuals who would agree. You can cherry pick someone with a certain education level who carries the same opinion if you look hard enough, regardless of the opinion.

Don't appeal to authority because when presented with an individual who agrees who meets your educational standard, the goalposts will shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭TobyHolmes

so what does the government expect everyone to do over the easter period. basically nothing? we cant see friends or family?

TobyHolmes wrote: »
    so what does the government expect everyone to do over the easter period. basically nothing? we cant see friends or family?

You shouldn't be thinking about seeing your family, that's incredibly selfish, even if you haven't seen them in 12 months. You'll be too busy holding firm in your sitting room anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

11521323 wrote: »
    You shouldn't be thinking about seeing your family, that's incredibly selfish, even if you haven't seen them in 12 months. You'll be too busy holding firm in your sitting room anyway.

ive been holding firm now for a year havent seen anyone in months. just wondering if the government have issued a statement - like what do they expect? we just sit at home by ourselves getting fat and crying into our chocolate easter bunnies?

You accepted yourself outdoor is safer than indoor. People gathering indoors is happening, and in increasing numbers, whether people want to believe it or not.

The UK are in a very different position to us ref. vaccines.

If we were in their position right now people would be happy enough to wait another few weeks.

I am all for opening outdoors, on a phased basis, a lot more, but with good control measures.

The current policy of everybody getting on with it indoors is failing.

Having read enough medical research yes I think transmission rates are low enough outdoors to allow opening up.

Everything outdoors should be open right now - average daily cases, hospital and ICU nos are low enough to allow this IMO.

ive been holding firm now for a year havent seen anyone in months. just wondering if the government have issued a statement - like what do they expect? we just sit at home by ourselves getting fat and crying into our chocolate easter bunnies?

I was being sarcastic btw. Go and see your family, don't let arbitrary government guidelines that have no scientific or logical rationale and are going against WHO advice dictate what you do.

Continue on with house parties and indoor gatherings, as long as the doors and windows are closed they can pretend its not happening.

• Advertisement

Having read enough medical research yes I think transmission rates are low enough outdoors to allow opening up.

Everything outdoors should be open right now - average daily cases, hospital and ICU nos are low enough to allow this IMO.

What's hilarious is that most people think you can't extract correct conclusions from papers unless you've a doctorate. I expect that's what the previous poster will respond with.

Continue on with house parties and indoor gatherings, as long as the doors and windows are closed they can pretend its not happening.

really? but people have to get from A to B - so how does that work?

i'm not sure how people are meeting up at all when it seems impossible to do so.

then again my bubble consists of Room 1 to Room 2 to Room 3 back to Room 2 and then outside for a gulp of fresh air. The best part of the week is going to the shop.

how long more yo

It's up to everyone themselves and personal circumstances to decide what to do.

I've broken some restrictions since mid-Feb and will continue to do so. You might challenge me and say if everyone did this where would be be, do I feel i know better than NPHET etc.

We are not all in this together.

The 5km rule is nonsense - it actually forces people in Dublin to congregate and increase outdoor compaction of people rather than letting them hike up the mountains etc.

I use my own common sense for the good of my family and expect everyone else do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,417 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

The vast majority will be vaccinated in 3 months (all going well). Things will be much better soon.

Follow the facts rather than the hysteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

just had a dental checkup and clean (and a filling thrown in) all staff vaccinated and much happier than when i was in 6 months ago !

Hadn't thought about that. Are all dentists/staff vaccinated now? If so, no real risk going for that check up, well less than there was...

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

Micheal Martin in a Live sit down indoor interview telling people do not meet indoors.

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1373986470051119105

• Registered Users Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

manutd wrote: »
    Micheal Martin in a Live sit down indoor interview telling people do not meet indoors.

I don't get this. Whatever about risk mitigation, it does send out a wrong signal. Surely they can have a phone call on this.

Speaking of which, when the likes of Brendan Gleeson go on the Late Late Show, are they allowed bypass 5km because they are entertainment guests?

Michéal on Radio 1 with Dobbo: "Most clusters have been attributed to community transmission indoors". A little later in interview: "We haven't contemplated any risk associated with schools". A deliberate blind spot, the contradictions are glaringly obvious. Here's another blatant inconsistency, why are outdoor activities like golf still frowned upon? And of course MM dancing around introduction of mandatory hotel quarantine, "well it's a complex issue, there are numerous factors to be considered..." No qualms keeping us dangling in lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

manutd wrote: »

Someone should tell him people are less likely to meet indoors if they're allowed to meet outdoors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Michéal on Radio 1 with Dobbo: "Most clusters have been attributed to community transmission indoors". A little later in interview: "We haven't contemplated any risk associated with schools". A deliberate blind spot, the contradictions are glaringly obvious. Here's another blatant inconsistency, why are outdoor activities like golf still frowned upon? And of course MM dancing around introduction of mandatory hotel quarantine, "well it's a complex issue..."

he doesn't inspire confidence

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement