Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIII-231,484 ROI(4,610 deaths)116,197 NI (2,107 deaths)(23/03)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,536 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

mloc123 wrote: »
    So what is the solution to level 5 restrictions no longer working? 2 more months of level 5 restrictions....

I wonder at any point will they consider a different approach.

Maybe they need to go to Level 6?

It's starting to remind you of that saying about doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

Asylum15 wrote: »
    A family member of mine recently booked a holiday to Lanzarote from Dublin and drove from Cork to Dublin, spent a week there and then returned to Cork. (We are all furious with said person). However, she was not stopped once at a checkpoint either way and did not get a single fine.

Then last week I drove from Cork City to Fermoy to deliver crucial meds to my aunt (diabetic, doesn't drive) and was stopped by a Garda who absolutely smashed the ears off me and handed me a nice fine.

It's this type of stuff makes me wonder.

There is no way they fined you if you'd explained that to them? Hope you're not paying the fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

I'm shocked nobody has pushed government/NPHET on plan B.

What's your plan if level 5 does not work?

Maybe it did work and 500-800 cases a day and 300 in hospital is as good as it gets - job done, move onto level 4 now...

That would be good reporting/journalism something that has been sadly missing for the last year.

Strumms wrote: »
    If you had the meds with either prescription or receipt that’s a bit crap of them.

It's crap of them either way, people shouldn't need to be worrying about documentation/proof when they have enough to worry about. Nowhere in the guidelines does it say you need to have 'valid prescriptions' or anything like that.
    Just a clown on a power trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,053 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'm shocked nobody has pushed government/NPHET on plan B.

What's your plan if level 5 does not work?

Maybe it did work and 500-800 cases a day and 300 in hospital is as good as it gets - job done, move onto level 4 now...

It did work and it won't go any further down, but NPHET seem to think they can get to under 100 cases a day. Its fantasy stuff.

Government call this living with covid, its more like existing with COVID as there is little living happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

87 cases in NI today. There was 67 in Donegal yesterday. Says it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Tyrone212 wrote: »

Vaccinations making big difference. If NI finishes vaccinations wonder would people living in border counties be prioritised for vaccines? For relatively small number of vaccines could help NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,053 ✭✭✭✭rob316

And the lack of any dates for reopening, gives no one any hope so people are like "**** it I'm not wasting anymore of my life".

Literally how hard is it to say if the disease has X profile on 5th April, X can open. If not we will review again in 7 days.

No one has any appetite for this ****e any longer. I can see the sentiment across social media has changed drastically over the last 3 months too.

NI are streets ahead in the vaccination programme, and this is reflected by declining cases. Meanwhile, our government are still fumbling around in the dark for a can to kick down the road.

• Advertisement

Good for them.

I'm in my early 50s and got mine in NI three weeks ago.

Getting it before the Pres!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

They had a small increase two weeks ago, but seems like it just a blip. Hopefully similar here but more difficult with less people vaccinated

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Restrictions + good vaccine roll out = plummeting case numbers.

Colour me shocked!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Surely it's because the people here just can't follow the rules. It's a simple request to follow the longest set of restrictions/business closures in the western world by far :pac:
    Those jammy feckers up there haven't even been forced to stay within 5km with checkpoints handing out fines like we have here. And now they are going to be out of it miles ahead of us. It's a far cry from the narrative a few months back where the North was a laughing stock for some

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Only 87 cases in Northern Ireland today. The vaccine is clearly working.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Total spitballing, but I wonder was the phased return to school an actual mistake rather than a big-bang approach.

Why? Because as soon as the younger kids went back to school, all of the other kids were released to mix. And without school, there's little control on who they see and when.

Where if teenagers in particular were back in school there'd be less hanging around, less mixing in huge groups, home and done by 10pm, Monday-Friday.

Could be nonsense. But when schools went back in September, we didn't see any particular change in virus levels.
    This time though, perhaps it was the confluence of level 5 restrictions and schools. In September kids had all been mixing for 3 months anyway, so a return to school was unlikely to change anything. This time around everyone had been separated for 3 months.

We still haven't seen a spike in cases in children, but the slightly older age groups appear to be rising.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Good for them.

I'm in my early 50s and got mine in NI three weeks ago.

Getting it before the Pres!

Do you live here? How did you manage to get the vaccine here?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭cjyid

Nice to see those numbers in NI.

Example of vacations working.

seamus wrote: »
    Total spitballing, but I wonder was the phased return to school an actual mistake rather than a big-bang approach.

Why? Because as soon as the younger kids went back to school, all of the other kids were released to mix. And without school, there's little control on who they see and when.

Where if teenagers in particular were back in school there'd be less hanging around, less mixing in huge groups, home and done by 10pm, Monday-Friday.

Could be nonsense. But when schools went back in September, we didn't see any particular change in virus levels.
    This time though, perhaps it was the confluence of level 5 restrictions and schools. In September kids had all been mixing for 3 months anyway, so a return to school was unlikely to change anything. This time around everyone had been separated for 3 months.

We still haven't seen a spike in cases in children, but the slightly older age groups appear to be rising.

I think the other difference than September is the new variants. Could understand the logic in doing it one go but think they wanted the time to see effect on cases but as you say could risk more cases that way.

Eod100 wrote: »
    Vaccinations making big difference. If NI finishes vaccinations wonder would people living in border counties be prioritised for vaccines? For relatively small number of vaccines could help NI.

It clearly doesn’t make a difference though does it? I saw a graph yesterday that showed us being 23% lower by case rate.

• Advertisement

batman_oh wrote: »
    Those jammy feckers up there haven't even been forced to stay within 5km with checkpoints handing out fines like we have here. And now they are going to be out of it miles ahead of us. It's a far cry from the narrative a few months back where the North was a laughing stock for some

There isn't much travelling to be done in NI, it's very quiet as most things are shut.

I be in Derry once a week and the city centre is like a ghost town. It is very worrying as it wouldn't be the richest of towns anyway, and id guess a lot of businesses won't reopen.

Supermarkets are busy , but little else.

This travelling outside your 5km is a bit of a bluff imho. It's a sledgehammer approach. It was put in place to try to limit the stupid and those who don't care about infecting others. But if you need to travel 10km to go for a walk in a forest or beach, what harm is that doing?

rob316 wrote: »
    And the lack of any dates for reopening, gives no one any hope so people are like "**** it I'm not wasting anymore of my life".

Literally how hard is it to say if the disease has X profile on 5th April, X can open. If not we will review again in 7 days.

No one has any appetite for this ****e any longer. I can see the sentiment across social media has changed drastically over the last 3 months too.

i'd love to agree with you but I've heard this time and again, "they're losing the people! and social media is awash with fury" but it comes to nothing.

People were more livid over that NI Paddy Jackson rape trial FFS..I stopped adhering to guidelines long ago anyway, by choice.

This keeping people locked up with peace meal offerings is like suicide by lifestyle!

There’s a lot of Donegal drivers coming over here to avoid the 5K ban limit. I live about 30 miles from the border and we have far more Donegal cars than ever before.

I even seen one on the A26 outside Ballymena a few weeks ago. What their excuse for that was is beyond me. No need to be driving 50 miles from the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Skygord

Eod100 wrote: »
    Seems theres talk on social media about outbreak in Carrick-on-Suir and a school there closing out of caution. Havent seen anything in media yet so could be hearsay.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40249040.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

A fantastic achievement by Boris it must be said

Credit where it’s due

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

How Donegal has 67 cases in that population is beyond me. It’s remote and has a pop of just 159,192 and is supposedly in 5km restrictions like the rest of us.

Cork had 18 cases yesterday in a population of 542,868.

NI is roughly 3.4 times bigger so, would be like NI having 62 cases.

I think vaccines aside, NI has been taking it a lot more seriously of late too, despite the rocky start a few months ago.

How Donegal has 67 cases in that population is beyond me. It’s remote and has a pop of just 159,192 and is supposedly in 5km restrictions like the rest of us.

Cork had 18 cases yesterday in a population of 542,868.

NI is roughly 3.4 times bigger so, would be like NI having 62 casses.

I think vaccines aside, NI has been taking it a lot more seriously of late too.

Or maybe we already had our peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Not really, it was bad management more than anything, they shut absolutely everything and then told people make the most of the few weeks in December as there will probably be a shutdown again in January so people went mental.

So the argument goes that restrictions were relaxed at Christmas which a huge number of people took the absolute piss with and you're telling me that people won't do the exact same again if restrictions are relaxed again?

If people could be trusted to not take the piss, then they could be eased. The simple truth is, they can't.

Must be a lot in hospital from it since it was "frightening"

Great not being vulnerable isn't it.

• Advertisement

Skygord wrote: »

Surely some conspiracy or false flag. schools are safe!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement