Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIII-231,484 ROI(4,610 deaths)116,197 NI (2,107 deaths)(23/03)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

11521323 wrote: »
    Can I ask you a serious question?

Do you expect the vast majority of human beings to adhere to restrictions perpetually and indefinitely, bearing in mind they have been for 12 months already?

If your answer is yes, then you quite literally have no concept of human emotion and it just shows how uneducated you are in that arena. People cannot indefinitely put their life on hold for a virus that they perceive to be of absolutely no danger to them, to think they can shows a real misunderstanding of psychology.

I'd ask them to adhere to them until the vaccines are administered in the community. I've said before, that the light will enter this particular tunnel in June.

The lower cases are as we approach this point the sooner we can open things back up. We've come so far, it was hard to see it all squandered for Christmas. That day took 6 months from us.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭11521323

Renault 5 wrote: »
    Its not just people going on a mad one.

A - Opening the schools

B - Kids and teens mingling

C - People meeting up indoors

Its easiest to use C as the scapegoat

The Government are actively lying to us by saying A & B aren't the problem so everyone has to assume it's C but I would agree with you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

The most bizarre restriction still in place I think is that you can't go and sit in a park on your own. I break this all the time, and I'm sure many others do. Once you break one restriction though, it becomes easier to start breaking more.

Something as basic as this really should be allowed, if even just to let people think they're still following the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭JPup

What are you talking about? Parks are open. You can go in with members of your own household

Amirani wrote: »
    The most bizarre restriction still in place I think is that you can't go and sit in a park on your own. I break this all the time, and I'm sure many others do. Once you break one restriction though, it becomes easier to start breaking more.

Something as basic as this really should be allowed, if even just to let people think they're still following the rules.

I agree 100%, I broke it too on Saturday and will always do it. Me and my dog and miles of park, I just don't see the danger.

I'll get Lymes disease quicker!!

• Advertisement

JPup wrote: »
    What are you talking about? Parks are open. You can go in with members of your own household

yes but it it's 5km or more from your house..game over!

The only park near me is 5.1km away, I tried to go in yesterday and got shot with an electric surge by a drone guarding the entrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭greenheep

Yeah but you are only supposed to be out for exercise. So sitting on a bench or a blanket in the park having a coffee is breaking the rules, as its not excercise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

greenheep wrote: »
    Yeah but you are only supposed to be out for exercise. So sitting on a bench or a blanket in the park having a coffee is breaking the rules, as its not excercise

Ah 2021 is just great isn't it :D

I saw a group of women from about 40 to 70 sitting in a park with flasks all in a circle chatting, using fold up chairs, all well distanced. I'd have hated to see them moved on and even more so, felt sorry for the Garda who felt compelled to move them..good for them..They looked like they were having a coffee morning for a friends birthday.

• Advertisement

No one has taken any notice of that rule for a very long time

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭greenheep

Yeah its true so they should just get rid of the rule and give some guidance on how to meet outdoor safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Lifting a cup burns calories, as does tilting your head to look at life going by!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

But that's the problem. Can we not have a set of rules that are effective against the spread of the virus but also liveable in ways that aren't a major risk to the virus e.g. All outside activity. At the moment people have to break rules just to make life a little more liveable and are being chastised for it by the government and NPHET. And then theres people who'll break some of the harmless rules will then stop following all the rules as that's just how some people act.

Yeah its true so they should just get rid of the rule and give some guidance on how to meet outdoor safely.

exactly, use you're own discretion, like this upstanding gent did back in the day..:D Never gets old....

In 1994, Emmet Stagg, the TD for Kildare North and the current Labour Party chief whip came to Garda attention while loitering in his car, in an area of the Phoenix Park used by male prostitutes. Stagg, a Minister of State in the Fianna Fáil and Labour coalition government at the time openly admitted his conduct had been ‘undoubtedly indiscreet’ but not illegal. He said while he was aware the man was gay, he was unaware – and had no evidence to suggest that he was a male prostitute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Renault 5

The Government are actively lying to us by saying A & B aren't the problem so everyone has to assume it's C but I would agree with you.

Nothing to see here - Move along now

Two crèches have been hit with Covid-19 outbreaks, one affecting 12 children and eight staff, it was confirmed today.

The crèche with the largest outbreak, located in Tullamore in Co Offaly, is working with HSE public health staff who are investigating the spread.

Separately, another crèche in north Dublin is dealing with several cases of the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭covidrelease

Klonker wrote: »

But that's the problem. Can we not have a set of rules that are effective against the spread of the virus but also liveable in ways that aren't a major risk to the virus e.g. All outside activity. At the moment people have to break rules just to make life a little more liveable and are being chastised for it by the government and NPHET. And then theres people who'll break some of the harmless rules will then stop following all the rules as that's just how some people act.

And a lot of these rules were brought in when cases were ~8000 a day and people adhered to them, by and large.

But instead of relaxing them in a practical way the government have pissed everybody off by pushing it too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭boardise

Here's an analogy or two that might hammer home why this line of thinking doesn't work in the reality we're faced with.

People will listen to a dietitian when they put them on a diet for a specific period because they know they'll lose weight and despite it being unenjoyable, it's a finite experience. They know it will end and so are willing to put effort in for a given period. If the dietitian told them they may still be fat at the end of the diet and that they had no idea how long it would take for them to lose weight, do you think the adherence to a diet will be the same? Absolutely not.

Another analogy is students studying for exams. It's finite with an end-date. If students were told their exam is sometime in the future but without any indication when, are they going to study as hard? Absolutely not.

These are very easy pieces of psychology to understand but you and others

on here seem to demonstrate a prepubescent understanding of it.

There's another facet to this which needs to be factored in.
    If one forsakes a diet or a study programme -the consequences apply to that person alone.
    If one contravenes the virus restrictions -there can be consequences not only for the individual but for others as well -there's a crucial social dimension involved.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Only to exercise, not to sit around.

As I said, most people break it. But once people start breaking 1 rule, it gets easier to break more. It should just be allowable to sit in a park, even if it's just with your own household or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Notice on https://covid19.shanehastings.eu/api/swabs/ that swab data isn't available currently.

Hmmm strange.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

No swab count today?

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

All the data has been hidden or temporarily removed. Not sure why unless they're having problems updating today. Spreadsheet download still works but no new info there

Hub data also empty

M8RxaZ0.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

It's an important day!

Wonder are they trying to manipulate the figures...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Thursday, 1st January 1970

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

I reckon Tony Holohan is on the comeback trail and they want to hype it up as much as possible.

Want to have over 1000 positive cases on his first day back to get the punters back interested.

Youve been locked up for too long my friend

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

The lad who uploads the daily swab figures is standing in his kitchen making a cup of tea, unaware that he forgot to his save and has sent boards.ie in to meltdown

boardise wrote: »
    There's another facet to this which needs to be factored in.
    If one forsakes a diet or a study programme -the consequences apply to that person alone.
    If one contravenes the virus restrictions -there can be consequences not only for the individual but for others as well -there's a crucial social dimension involved.

That's fine but your additional point isn't going to significantly (if at all) improve someones willingness to comply 12 months into this thing so it's irrelevant. People are fed up and my analogies were just to highlight that. I get that the fall-out of ones non-compliance are different with a virus to my analogies but the psychological element is what I was trying to show.

People might have complied a little bit longer a few months ago with good philanthropic intentions but that good-will has diminished now because there's no end in sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Notice on https://covid19.shanehastings.eu/api/swabs/ that swab data isn't available currently.

Hmmm strange.

Shortly after 3pm the hub looked like it was being refreshed with today's numbers but they've either messed up the entry or are having tech issues as everything looks to have reset to 0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

Did someone Format C: on Coronavirus? Don't think it'll work...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Praise the lord! 30,000 vaccinated in Northern Ireland! Was beginning to worry we were lagging behind England! Thank god!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement