Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIII-231,484 ROI(4,610 deaths)116,197 NI (2,107 deaths)(23/03)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

11521323 wrote: »
    I admire your Kumbaya attitude but that only goes so far. I know you want it to be enough but it isn't.

You're another who has ignored how well we've done as a nation and just want an endless effort from everyone, that's not how reality works I'm afraid.
    You might see as a "Kumbaya attitude", I see it as being realistic. We're in a **** situation, but there is no easy out and no-one to wave a magic wand and make the world a happy place.

Other generations have had to face worse. We at least have had a bit of a scientific miracle with exceptional vaccines, and we can see an exit route.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭11521323

I know this is an anonymous internet forum but the opinion of some on here genuinely makes me understand why the same Government who've failed repeatedly are still in power.

I can't understand how despite the evidence showing how well we've done as a nation, people still think the burden of blame is on the population to shoulder, rather than the leaders of the country who have failed abysmally in every single way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

and they are practically running the country, you would only laugh if it wasn't so serious

That should be the entire strap-line to sum up Covid in Ireland since it began

Both for the "government" and a certain sector of society

hmmm wrote: »
    You might see as a "Kumbaya attitude", I see it as being realistic. We're in a **** situation, but there is no easy out and no-one to wave a magic wand and make the world a happy place.

Other generations have had to face worse. We at least have had a bit of a scientific miracle with exceptional vaccines, and we can see an exit route.

Ignoring everything I said and just parroting your own thoughts again. I can't have a discussion with someone who can't even comprehend something supported by evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

You've conveniently left out the fact that we've done the best in Europe (top 3) in the metrics that matter? That categorically proves we have done exactly what has been asked of us as a nation so you're just incorrect with that one.

Well NPHET advocated for quarantine on arrival so you're just wrong there again. It's taken the Government 12 months to implement this.

You're so wrong here it's incredible.

NPHET advocated for it because they correctly believed that a significant cohort would ignore the guidance and law. Turns out they were right.

On the one hand you have people arguing for government to trust the population and ease restrictions, yet at the same time point to a failing of society (int. Travel) to adhere to them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Sources for what particularly?

They've finally pulled their finger out and are increasing capacity by 66 beds this year at a cost of €52 million (https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/ffd3f-minister-for-health-announces-plan-to-expand-critical-care-capacity-to-446-beds/). Just leaving this here as evidence it can be done within this sort of timeframe.

If they acted quickly and put more money into this even in June last year, we could have significantly increased our capacity by May/June this year, this would have left us in a much better position to manage the virus and could have actually allowed them to give an end-date with more confidence, increasing adherence to restrictions which is now rapidly decreasing.

But of course our Government acted in typical stodgy, reactionary fashion and are happy to spend many multiples of that each month to fund supports while they keep us locked down.

I admire your patriotism here but the Government cannot be defended.

You mean increase by 26?

Sure there's 40 temporary Icu beds set up as a response to Covid being made permanent but it's 26 new beds in 2021.

I was asking for sources for you assertion that European countries scaled up their Icu as a response to Covid.

Quiet a number of posters have made the same assertion but then posted sources showing only an activation of surge capacity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

Just watching a tv3 report from a hospital in galway and in the background there is a pc running windows xp! Kind of sums up the hse and the government,

Sadly it's an issue throughout those kinds of systems. They don't get updated because they work and then budgets don't get assigned and they're just left there for way too long.

https://www.publictechnology.net/articles/news/nhs-still-running-2300-pcs-windows-xp

You've something like 58,000 computers in the HSE, loads of them are stuck on older OS versions due to some medical systems like radiology software not moving with the times due to only being upgraded when major projects are carried out.

In general healthcare is a total mess with IT.

The problem is when those systems get exposed to networks that could be accessed potentially from the internet, then you've security issues all over the place.

NPHET advocated for it because they correctly believed that a significant cohort would ignore the guidance and law. Turns out they were right.

On the one hand you have people arguing for government to trust the population and ease restrictions, yet at the same time point to a failing of society (int. Travel) to adhere to them.

So the Governments failure to introduce something on the advice of NPHET is our fault again? I'm convinced at this stage you have a personal agenda here because no one can be this deluded.

By the way, you're assuming everyone coming into the country left in the first place which is just flat out incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

All the data has been hidden or temporarily removed. Not sure why unless they're having problems updating today. Spreadsheet download still works but no new info there

Hub data also empty

M8RxaZ0.png

We held firm and cured COVID!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Crisis over, numbers are plummeting again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

got jab today, super well ran galway. things looking up imo

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

520 cases 1 death.

Unknown how it tallies up up swabs, no data published yet today

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Israel might as well be China, they are nothing like us and you can't trust the data that comes out of that country, they've had more media blackouts in recent times than we have had electricity blackouts from storms, using them as some utopia lol is madness.

We can look at the UK data, as they are similar to us and they are doing well, but not alot better than us in terms of deaths and ceses.Look at the UK, don't bother with Israel
    Israel, as part of their deal with Pfizer, had to make data available. It's not in their interest to fake it and it is in effect a live experiment. Do you have proof of this claim apart from this somewhat bizarrely assembled opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Monday is usually the lowest number of the week?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

funnydoggy wrote: »
    We held firm and cured COVID!!
    That's actually the North Korean website on COVID!

About 50 less than ladt monday.

Are we expecting a nphet press briefing today?

I thought Saturday/Sunday was always the lowest?

Hence the (justified) freakout yesterday

ShineOn7 wrote: »

Monday and Tuesday are the low days with the weekend effect.

Sunday referrals are lowest. Monday tests and Tuesday results.

THE HSE is not fit for purpose, it has been shyte for years. If we had underinvested in the Army whilst being aware of a possible war or invasion, year upon year it would be the same result. The day comes when we are invaded and the GOVT tell us all to throw on a backpack to save the under resourced ARMY!!!
    That's their job, not to spend all the money on the vainest of vanity projects that is the Childrens Trophy hospital.

Think of the trolley crisis as a tremor every winter, getting shallower and louder...Now we've had a seismic event with a subsequent Tsunami and it's shown the ignorance of a bunch of bank managers in white coats as far as I'm concerned....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

Monday and Tuesday tend to be the lowest swab days. We don’t have today’s swabs, but last Monday was 343 swabs. Cases of 575 were inflated as Sunday’s figures were 261 lower than swabs, so Monday was a catch up day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭covidrelease

Are we expecting a nphet press briefing today?

Hopefully over zoom, they need to stop making fools of themselves by lecturing everybody else to work from home thinking it doesn't apply to them.

The people have seen through their sham.

rusty cole wrote: »
    THE HSE is not fit for purpose, it has been shyte for years.

You got my Thanks after the first sentence

Covid has highlighted the shambolic state of Ireland's health system, police force and "government"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

The item on the news about family visiting their loved one in care homes again just made me cry . Just absolutely fantastic that the vaccination allowed that happen

So what was yesterday all about?

Isn't Richard normally reliable?

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1373699268788285442

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

We don’t have yesterday’s swabs so we don’t know!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Journalists have consistently shown no understanding of the backlog/reporting delays, so I wouldn't count on that tweet being true at all.

They even got it wrong when we were building up a backlog of thousands

Leitrim best in class overall. Gold stars all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

The figures are high because of the increased transmissibility of the new variants. Restriction levels that were appropriate and effective in the past need to be higher now unfortunately, not lower, to control transmission rates.

Restriction levels do not control this disease. People's compliance with said restrictions is what has an effect.

In a country that polices by consent compliance is all. Are we now in a situation where our only lever has been damaged?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Leitrim best in class overall. Gold stars all round.
    Despite the best efforts of a certain element of society.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭john why

Are we at the start of another wave?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement