Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIII-231,484 ROI(4,610 deaths)116,197 NI (2,107 deaths)(23/03)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Renault 5

I expect Dr Glynn will get a slap on the wrist for mentioning crèches and schools as it doesn’t fit into the Government narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Its about 100 days until 30 June.... is 80% really going to happen??

Why the obsession with 80% everywhere???!!! Is 40/50% not enough for level 3?! Think Israel really started really opening up once they that - totally open to correction on that....Like surely we should be at level 3 in May yet it feels like 10 years away :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Its about 100 days until 30 June.... is 80% really going to happen??

no

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Why the obsession with 80% everywhere???!!! Is 40/50% not enough for level 3?! Think Israel really started really opening up once they that - totally open to correction on that....Like surely we should be at level 3 in May yet it feels like 10 years away :)

Hold firm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Cork2021 wrote: »

No message for people with no more to give? What exactly does she mean by that? What does she want government to do, when the crisis is led by the millions of small individual decisions by people? This really is just a whinge, and whining solves nothing.

The choice is ours. We either do the distancing, rules and regulations and try and get it suppressed to get back to life sooner or we can accept that the restrictions will remain in place until the vaccine rollout has reached a critical mass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Aph2016

If 80% of the population are expected to be vaccinated by June, then the government need to come out and give us a road map that from July onwards, we fully re-open society with no restrictions.

Hold firm

Come on! Give me something more positive:) Just kidding...

Aph2016 wrote: »
    If 80% of the population are expected to be vaccinated by June, then the government need to come out and give us a road map that from July onwards, we fully re-open society with no restrictions.

No restrictions??! I kind of feel like that will not happen for years - yes I know that sounds mad but I just feel like this is life now....I’m just praying for level 3!

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭11521323

No message for people with no more to give? What exactly does she mean by that? What does she want government to do, when the crisis is led by the millions of small individual decisions by people? This really is just a whinge, and whining solves nothing.

The choice is ours. We either do the distancing, rules and regulations and try and get it suppressed to get back to life sooner or we can accept that the restrictions will remain in place until the vaccine rollout has reached a critical mass

Are you still here? Relentlessly parroting your incoherent rumblings that are totally devoid of any sense of reality. Good to see, carry on.

Aph2016 wrote: »

A road map that'll be as clear as driving through a bog at 5am without lights.

• Advertisement

according to Ronan, we will actually be worse off this summer than last!! with by his math..all at risk groups covered...Last summer I was on the pier in dingle throwing darts at a funfair..Then we went for drinks with a substantial meal..
    Oh yea and I was in the gym too...None of that will be possible now even with Vaccines, and you are saying it's all in our hands now??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

What are you on about at all. We are not dogs you can lock in a cage.

Sure even if were at 5 cases a day the country would still need to be locked down until the vaccine rollout is complete or cases will just jump again in a few weeks.

Totally not true. look up herd immunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,978 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Or, you can do what you feel is acceptable for you and your family, meet if you feel it's safe to do so or don't. It makes zero difference to the people supposedly leading this effort anyway. When you hear guff like we can enjoy a summer of outdoor activities when 80% of people are vaccinated then the game is up. Unless people ignore these restrictions once we get enough people vaccinated then this government will continue to think they can use them at will.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

JRant wrote: »
    Or, you can do what you feel is acceptable for you and your family, meet if you feel it's safe to do so or don't. It makes zero difference to the people supposedly leading this effort anyway. When you hear guff like we can enjoy a summer of outdoor activities when 80% of people are vaccinated then the game is up. Unless people ignore these restrictions once we get enough people vaccinated then this government will continue to think they can use them at will.

He's someone who repeatedly says the same thing and doesn't acknowledge anyone else's points which are supported by evidence and logic.

Trying to engage in progressive discourse is a futile endeavor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

rusty cole wrote: »
    according to Ronan, we will actually be worse off this summer than last!! with by his math..all at risk groups covered...Last summer I was on the pier in dingle throwing darts at a funfair..Then we went for drinks with a substantial meal..
    Oh yea and I was in the gym too...None of that will be possible now even with Vaccines, and you are saying it's all in our hands now??

Two vastly different variants: the old one and the Kent one which is now very much the dominant variant in Ireland

The Kent variant is a whole different level of contagious and I'm sure that's what Ronan means

I'm not saying you're one of them Rusty, but people who think there's no difference in the two variants are just as bad as the "It's just a flu!" people last April

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

Totally not true. look up herd immunity.

Herd immunity is not achievable, Israel are struggling to get it even. There is no vaccine for children so that leaves a good portion of the population out straight away. We just have to learn to live with it and hope the vaccine reduces it but the rolling lockdown stuff is a load of rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Did they seriously wheel out the "new virus" soundbite again?

Why don't we tell the UK about this new virus, considering they had their smallest number of deaths in 6 months today?

Yet ANOTHER example of abysmal communication from our "leaders"

Clowns

Did they seriously wheel out the "new virus" soundbite again?

Why don't we tell the UK about this new virus, considering they had their smallest number of deaths in 6 months today?

Ye ANOTHER example of abysmal communication from our "leaders"

Clowns

The British variant isn't really plaguing the British apparently.

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Two vastly different variants: the old one and the Kent one which is now very much the dominant variant in Ireland

The Kent variant is a whole different level of contagious and I'm sure that's what Ronan means

I'm not saying you're one of them Rusty, but people who think there's no difference in the two variants are just as bad as the "It's just a flu!" people last April

This is where the problem resides with nphet and the government. The vaccine will only do so much, we have to learn to live with this bloody disease and there is no alternative, telling people it is going to be lockdown and restriction after restriction is just stupid at this stage. If the vaccine reduces hospitalizations then that is a result..

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I can never figure this one out

Israel is open with 114 doses per 100. Which is roughly 60% double dosed and 50% single dosed. They’ve been open with weeks and the R0 continues to drop, down to 0.6 now. The key metrics are dropping too.

We are expecting to be ~130 doses per 100 by June end (including Janssen twice to equivocate). If we are like Israel now then, why the **** would it be “years” before normality? What changes over the “years”??

• Advertisement

Critical mass is not achievable! Will we just lockdown forever?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

NHPET have no risk tolerance really. They are like asking your doctor is it ok to have 6 pints every Friday. They'll never say it's ok, only point to the risks. Government have to govern, and balance things. By the way, where is Donnelly this last few weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

NHPET have no risk tolerance really. They are like asking your doctor is it ok to have 6 pints every Friday. They'll never say it's ok, only point to the risks. Government have to govern, and balance things. By the way, where is Donnelly this last few weeks?

The narcissist is probably away writing his autobiography

marno21 wrote: »
    I can never figure this one out

Israel is open with 114 doses per 100. Which is roughly 60% double dosed and 50% single dosed. They’ve been open with weeks and the R0 continues to drop, down to 0.6 now. The key metrics are dropping too.

We are expecting to be ~130 doses per 100 by June end (including Janssen twice to equivocate). If we are like Israel now then, why the **** would it be “years” before normality? What changes over the “years”??

Because say the vaccine is 90 percent effective and you have 10 close contacts but without the vaccine you have 1 close contact It is effectively the same and still spreads hence still a need for mask wearing to try and stop new variants etc the problem is that its pie on the sky stuff that our crowd are trying to achieve here.

Where is Michael Martin and Stephen Donnelly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

I think regional restrictions are the way to go, to be honest. Cork for example shouldn't have blanket level 5 restrictions, IMO.

People (NPHET included) must also think about risk. A year on, we know this virus isn't as nightmarish as once feared. We know what we can do to help protect ourselves.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

funnydoggy wrote: »
    I think regional restrictions are the way to go, to be honest. Cork for example shouldn't have blanket level 5 restrictions, IMO.

People (NPHET included) must also think about risk. A year on, we know this virus isn't as nightmarish as once feared. We know what we can do to help protect ourselves.

A county is too small for regional restrictions imo.

Cork and Kerry together might fit a region. Not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

A county is too small for regional restrictions imo.

Cork and Kerry together might fit a region. Not sure.

Ah yeah, lump us in with the Kerry people :eek::eek::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

NPHET are deeply concerned by the rising incident levels across the community of 6 pints on a Friday.

• Advertisement

When I mentioned the damage the EU was doing re: the UK-Oxford vaccine, I was wholly dismissed.

Now, we are seeing the real term consequences of the disastrous political decision many EU countries / and the EU itself, have taken -- and just because it was the UK-Oxford vaccine.

(AZ-Oxford reported 19 thromboembolic events; Pfizer reported 18 over the same period - yet one gets the headlines by the EU, and the other doesn't).

https://twitter.com/benrileysmith/status/1373912188520382464

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement