Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIII-231,484 ROI(4,610 deaths)116,197 NI (2,107 deaths)(23/03)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Ah yeah, lump us in with the Kerry people :eek::eek::pac::pac:

Well you are neighbours with a very similar per capita covid numbers.

Last year we saw some benefit from laois offaly kildare lockdown but Dublin restrictions were next to worthless (as there too intercounty much travel). Cork might be a county where there is not as much intercountry travel (as travel would mainly be from county Cork to Cork City) but I would be happier doing regions of more than one county bundled together.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Where is Michael Martin and Stephen Donnelly?

Do you want a personal call from Martin? He did a radio interview today

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

11521323 wrote: »
    Are you still here? Relentlessly parroting your incoherent rumblings that are totally devoid of any sense of reality. Good to see, carry on.

And good to see you joined us after a multi year hiatus.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

I think things have become stagnant and there is a lack of leadership and we're living like zombies.

I think they need to mix it up for April and try something new.

Scrap the 5km rule. Allow travel within your county.
    Open retail click and collect.
    Open barbers and hairdressers by appointment only, the amount of lads I see with properly done haircuts its happening in the barbers home as it is. At least masks would be worn etc, even double wrap masks as a condition..ha

Last one is controversial but I'd go with it if it allowed the things above. An 8pm curfew. Its not that I want that I'm just trying to be realistic with how this situation is being run. I'd rather that than what we currently have.

A county is too small for regional restrictions imo.

Cork and Kerry together might fit a region. Not sure.

Do it by province, open up Munster.
    They'll never do it though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    I think things have become stagnant and there is a lack of leadership and we're living like zombies.

I think they need to mix it up for April and try something new.

Scrap the 5km rule. Allow travel within your county.
    Open retail click and collect.
    Open barbers and hairdressers by appointment only, the amount of lads I see with properly done haircuts its happening in the barbers home as it is. At least masks would be worn etc, even double wrap masks as a condition..ha

Last one is controversial but I'd go with it if it allowed the things above. An 8pm curfew. Its not that I want that I'm just trying to be realistic with how this situation is being run. I'd rather that than what we currently have.

A curfew would make life awful for people who work 9-6. Make dinner and then hardly any time to get out for a walk or run, for no reason. Feel even more imprisoned and house bound. The only reason it would be effective I assume is in order to prevent dinner parties/house parties. Well mobility data shows this is not happening to any great extent so it would be overkill. It's no surprise really, most adults refrain from large house gatherings out of genuine concern or because they probably know well a neigbour could call the guards on them if they spotted it. And most parents would probably discourage their kids from having many friends over indoors in case of the embarrassment of there being an outbreak at their house.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1374110600087883779?s=20

5k limit possibly being scrapped completely on the 5th.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Do you want a personal call from Martin? He did a radio interview today

Why are our health experts addressing the nation while our politicians give radio interviews?

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

AdamD wrote: »
    Ronan Glynn seems confident that 80%+ of adults will have gotten a dose by the end of June, but we'll be having an enjoyable summer based on outdoor activities.

If 80%+ are vaccinated, why does it need to be outdoors? Is anyone asking the question?

What they're saying just doesn't add up and doesn't increase confidence in vaccines

I keep saying it but Ronan Glynn and our government will not dictate. We are simply not going to have a situation in June where there are nightclubs open everywhere up North while we sit outside the local pub. Not going to be accepted by businesses first of all and the public 2nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

hynesie08 wrote: »

would make more sense - no 5km limit, but restrictions on how many people you can meet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭prunudo

So going by that I can only chat to my neighbour if we go for a walk around the estate, not over the fence in front garden!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

prunudo wrote: »
    So going by that I can only chat to my neighbour if we go for a walk around the estate, not over the fence in front garden!

I wouldn't take it that literally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Where is Michael Martin and Stephen Donnelly?

Absolute cowards both

I'm normally apathetic with politicians, but I loathe Donnelly on a visceral level

So much arrogance inside a little boy completely and utterly out of his depth

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭bennyl10

would make more sense - no 5km limit, but restrictions on how many people you can meet.

So you can travel anywhere, down the country, providing you remain outside?..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭prunudo

Stark wrote: »
    I wouldn't take it that literally.

Believe me, I won't be paying much heed to their next list of rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭spookwoman

bb1234567 wrote: »
    A curfew would make life awful for people who work 9-6. Make dinner and then hardly any time to get out for a walk or run, for no reason. Feel even more imprisoned and house bound. The only reason it would be effective I assume is in order to prevent dinner parties/house parties. Well mobility data shows this is not happening to any great extent so it would be overkill. It's no surprise really, most adults refrain from large house gatherings out of genuine concern or because they probably know well a neigbour could call the guards on them if they spotted it. And most parents would probably discourage their kids from having many friends over indoors in case of the embarrassment of there being an outbreak at their house.

The curfew would be a pain for me because it's at night I would head out mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Messi19

We're only still under the 5k limit because the government has hamstrung itself with the rent/eviction freeze

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Absolute cowards both

I'm normally apathetic with politicians, but I loathe Donnelly on a visceral level

So much arrogance inside a little boy completely and utterly out of his depth

Stephen Donnelly is Michael Martin with less hair.

Both evasive.
    Both love power and position.
    Both smirk and are arrogant.
    Both care nothing for ordinary people.
    Both disappear in times of national crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭Elessar

bennyl10 wrote: »

It will still be 'within county' most likely. That's probably the best we can hope for.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

bennyl10 wrote: »

Sounds too good to be true tbh. But it is promising that they're at least starting to think in terms of focusing on the number of people that a person is meeting and not "magic distance from house limit keeps you safe". Even if that message trickles through to the public. The amount of people who seem to think you can do what you like as long as you're within magic 5km shield of protection but anyone venturing outside for a walk in the fresh air is demon spawn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Because say the vaccine is 90 percent effective and you have 10 close contacts but without the vaccine you have 1 close contact It is effectively the same and still spreads hence still a need for mask wearing to try and stop new variants etc the problem is that its pie on the sky stuff that our crowd are trying to achieve here.

But did you not see the next sentence where we have real world data of a highly vaccinated country losening restrictions and case numbers dropping?

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

Milanative wrote: »
    Either close the schools or shut up about cases going upwards cause you can't have both, quite frankly I doubt anyone even cares if it hits a thousand cases a day at this point, they've no plan so fuk em

Bad boy Yardie :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

With bigger numbers in Dublin, I wonder how much the 5Km restriction is actually contributing. People closer together etc.

Without the restriction they would be able to go to a big open area like a park/beach etc

Perhaps. All three lockdowns have worked really well in Cork. Maybe there is something about the rules that works well here but not in the more densely populated Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Plenty of "qualified" individuals who would agree. You can cherry pick someone with a certain education level who carries the same opinion if you look hard enough, regardless of the opinion.
    Don't appeal to authority because when presented with an individual who agrees who meets your educational standard, the goalposts will shift.

I wasn't looking for a 'qualified individual"

Rather hard data on which the OPs idea is based. As opposed to pulled out of a hat or whatever.

But thanks for the lecture :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Perhaps. All three lockdowns have worked really well in Cork. Maybe there is something about the rules that works well here but not in the more densely populated Dublin?

By an Irish standard, the Cork City metro area, where the majority of the population of Cork live is densely populated, not as much as Dublin but far more so than worse affected counties like Kildare, Offaly, Meath and Donegal. It could be that Cork City is (still) relatively isolated from the rest of the country, even areas tha we consider remote like Donegal actually have a lot of cross border reliance on Derry. Cork would be much more self contained.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

Well you are neighbours with a very similar per capita covid numbers.

Last year we saw some benefit from laois offaly kildare lockdown but Dublin restrictions were next to worthless (as there too intercounty much travel). Cork might be a county where there is not as much intercountry travel (as travel would mainly be from county Cork to Cork City) but I would be happier doing regions of more than one county bundled together.

Laois, Offaly and Kildare would be comfortably swallowed by county Cork. Naturally the majority of activity is around Cork City and the vast majority of journeys are intra-county. For example, a journey from Cork City to Beara in west Cork is roughly the same as Dublin to Athlone.

I'm not trying to claim Cork is a special case, but it does seem like a prime candidate to actually work on that basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Hospital numbers at 8pm

Total 342 (down from 366 last night)
    ICU 80 (no change)

Last Monday
    Total 336
    ICU 85

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

What's hilarious is that most people think you can't extract correct conclusions from papers unless you've a doctorate. I expect that's what the previous poster will respond with.

Nope. Just a simple question asking what data the conclusions were drawn from - not if the poster had a 'doctorate"

But noooo let's put the boot in :rolleyes:

Hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Batattackrat

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Hospital numbers at 8pm

Total 342 (down from 366 last night)
    ICU 80 (no change)

Last Monday
    Total 336
    ICU 85

Would some of these people be in hospital regardless of Covid?

Like say someone went in for a hernia operation, appendix removal, broken bone, giving birth and tested positive but is not sick from Covid would this be included in these numbers?

No trying to be smart or cause an uproar here, just curious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Would some of these people be in hospital regardless of Covid?

Like say someone went in for a hernia operation, appendix removal, broken bone, giving birth and tested positive but is not sick from Covid would this be included in these numbers?

No trying to be smart or cause an uproar here, just curious.

No , can see you are not trying to be smart ....

Yes , but they mostly would be sent home asap . So not having the effect on numbers that you are thinking .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement