Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIII-231,484 ROI(4,610 deaths)116,197 NI (2,107 deaths)(23/03)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Would some of these people be in hospital regardless of Covid?

Like say someone went in for a hernia operation, appendix removal, broken bone, giving birth and tested positive but is not sick from Covid would this be included in these numbers?

No trying to be smart or cause an uproar here, just curious.

They would be - but doubt that accounts for too many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Hospital numbers at 8pm

Total 342 (down from 366 last night)
    ICU 80 (no change)

Last Monday
    Total 336
    ICU 85

Hmmm

First week on week (Monday to Monday) hospital case increase in ages I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    I think things have become stagnant and there is a lack of leadership and we're living like zombies.

I think they need to mix it up for April and try something new.

Scrap the 5km rule. Allow travel within your county.
    Open retail click and collect.
    Open barbers and hairdressers by appointment only, the amount of lads I see with properly done haircuts its happening in the barbers home as it is. At least masks would be worn etc, even double wrap masks as a condition..ha

Last one is controversial but I'd go with it if it allowed the things above. An 8pm curfew. Its not that I want that I'm just trying to be realistic with how this situation is being run. I'd rather that than what we currently have.

While I would have agreed with everything you said two days ago ,after hearing the words " possibility of exponential growth" from deGascun tonight I'd say the chances of getting a decent haircut in a proper establishment in the next month is zero, unfortunately:/.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I don't really get the curfew thing. If anything countries with curfews in place seem to be doing worse than us on the suppression front.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

How come nobody is questioning Glynn on his outdoor summer comments. It's not the first time he's made it. Absolute rubbish and he shouldn't be stating it as fact, at the of the day its a government decision as cowardly and all as they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Would some of these people be in hospital regardless of Covid?

Like say someone went in for a hernia operation, appendix removal, broken bone, giving birth and tested positive but is not sick from Covid would this be included in these numbers?

No trying to be smart or cause an uproar here, just curious.

In my wife's hospital, cases among patients primarily in for reasons other than Covid had historically accounted for a fair amount. But in recent weeks she has said this is not the case. Probably the effects of vaccinations so it's not spreading as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

Stark wrote: »
    I don't really get the curfew thing. If anything countries with curfews in place seem to be doing worse than us on the suppression front.

There won't be a curfew in any way, shape or form. It would be utterly unenforceable and would be treated with the contempt it would deserve by most. IMO :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Hmmm

First week on week (Monday to Monday) hospital case increase in ages I think?

Easily.

Two Mondays ago
    Total 392
    ICU 101

Friday 12th March total of 331 was the end of the consistent downward slide which started with the drop to 1,911 total on 18th January. Been bouncing around 340-350 average since then.

ICU has continued to trend slowly downwards, now back to levels last at Jan 5th/6th.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

11521323 and gozunda, quit sniping at each other

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Easily.

Two Mondays ago
    Total 392
    ICU 101

Friday 12th March total of 331 was the end of the consistent downward slide which started with the drop to 1,911 total on 18th January. Been bouncing around 340-350 average since then.

ICU has continued to trend slowly downwards, now back to levels last at Jan 5th/6th.
    Here's hoping it goes back to a downward trend. The fact it's reduced overnight is a good sign. We know the weekends produce a lag, so the next few days will be telling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Perhaps. All three lockdowns have worked really well in Cork. Maybe there is something about the rules that works well here but not in the more densely populated Dublin?

That is what I was saying yesterday .
    It's silly expecting there not to be crowded spaces in a city/ county with the density of Dublin and everyone milling around the same spaces .
    Travel restrictions should be based on a county population basis eg people in Dublin could travel further to excercise than someone in Sligo? Just examples ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭covidrelease

In my wife's hospital, cases among patients primarily in for reasons other than Covid had historically accounted for a fair amount. But in recent weeks she has said this is not the case. Probably the effects of vaccinations so it's not spreading as much.

A quick look on google says 15-20%, presumably anybody going in for an arranged procedure will be pre vaccinated fairly soon, along with vaccinated staff, so it won't be as much of an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

You accepted yourself outdoor is safer than indoor. People gathering indoors is happening, and in increasing numbers, whether people want to believe it or not.

The UK are in a very different position to us ref. vaccines.

If we were in their position right now people would be happy enough to wait another few weeks.

I am all for opening outdoors, on a phased basis, a lot more, but with good control measures.

The current policy of everybody getting on with it indoors is failing.

Not quite. What I said was that that people meeting up both inside and outside has significant issues with regard to proximity and close contact. And if people chose to meet up then inside could potentially be worse.

Btw I'm not convinced either is a good idea atm
    And I know you say that is happening - but I'm not sure officially sanctioning outside meet ups would have any significant impact on those already choosing to ignore the restrictions.

The potential damage here of not waiting for vaccination is much greater than it would be in the UK atm. With a increased chance that our case numbers will climb ditto hospital and ICU numbers.

I agree that the UK are in a very different position to us ref. vaccines. But I think that should give us more reasons to be concerned about throwing caution to the wind and opening up with regard to people getting together even with control measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Did they seriously wheel out the "new virus" soundbite again?

Why don't we tell the UK about this new virus, considering they had their smallest number of deaths in 6 months today?

Yet ANOTHER example of abysmal communication from our "leaders"

Clowns

I hope they informed the WHO about this new virus. Do we call it covid 21 or is it one of Simon Harris lost ones.

A quick look on google says 15-20%, presumably anybody going in for an arranged procedure will be pre vaccinated fairly soon, along with vaccinated staff, so it won't be as much of an issue.

15-20% of all Irish Covid cases are hospital acquired? As in, the person didn't have it before they went in?

How recent are those figures/which Wave is it talking about?

I'd love a link to read more on what you found, as there's so much mixed information out there on this side of things

Ireland's President and wife get their first jab

C16KEXH.jpeg

gozunda wrote: »
    Not quite. What I said was that that people meeting up both inside and outside has significant issues with regard to proximity and close contact. And if people chose to meet up then inside could potentially be worse.

Btw I'm not convinced either is a good idea atm
    And I know you say that is happening - but I'm not sure officially sanctioning outside meet ups would have any significant impact on those already choosing to ignore the restrictions.

The potential damage here of not waiting for vaccination is much greater than it would be in the UK atm. With a increased chance that our case numbers will climb ditto hospital and ICU numbers.

I agree that the UK are in a very different position to us ref. vaccines. But I think that should give us more reasons to be concerned about throwing caution to the wind and opening up with regard to people getting together even with control measures.

I think you are on your own with that, from 100000 people on Bournemouth beach to 40 people involved in the Ireland - France rugby match, and all the expert opinions, I don't think there is any argument that outdoors is significantly safer than indoors.

I think you are on your own with that, from 100000 people on Bournemouth beach to 40 people involved in the Ireland - France rugby match, and all the expert opinions, I don't think there is any argument that outdoors is significantly safer than indoors.

Not particularly. To take an example all such gatherings are banned in the UK atm for the reason they are believed to carry the risk of infection. But afaik not so much from being outside rather people using shared facilities and the issue of large crowds not being able to observe social distancing.

That said the bigger issue imo is that people meeting up outside is not going to change the behaviour of those already breaking the restrictions in meeting up in groups inside.

When was there 100000 people on Bournemouth beach btw?

The Ireland France Rugby match had significant isolation and controls for all those involved. Not comparable to a bunch of people meeting up for the crack.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

15-20% of all Irish Covid cases are hospital acquired? As in, the person didn't have it before they went in?

I'd love a link to read more on what you found, as there's so much mixed information out there on this side of things

Someone had the January figure for covid cases acquired in hospital on here the other day. Was higher than I expected. Can’t recall the exact number though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Ireland's President and wife get their first jab

C16KEXH.jpeg

My mother is over 80 now. Still no jab. Not being done in her local GP. They said she should hear in next couple of weeks. Higgins is not 80 yet, so it shouldn't be "his turn" yet!

• Advertisement

My mother is over 80 now. Still no jab. Not being done in her local GP. They said she should hear in next couple of weeks. Higgins is not 80 yet, so it shouldn't be "his turn" yet!

Maybe they both have underlying conditions?

You'd be hard pushed to find anywhere online in Ireland begrudging a 79 year old President a vaccine

Yet, here it is on Boards

Republic of Ireland is third lowest for Covid hospitalisations out of 18 countries reviewed

On first glance it looks like the other 17 countries are all EU

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-19-state-third-lowest-for-hospitalisations-out-of-18-countries-reviewed-1.4516921?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Golfwidow

I have to say that this also concerns me. My parents are both older than our president and both have very serious underlying conditions - including cancer. They still haven’t been contacted by their GP regards the vaccine. My mother has rang to be told she will hear in a few weeks. What’s going on?

gozunda wrote: »
    Not particularly. To take an example all such gatherings are banned in the UK atm for the reason they are believed to carry the risk of infection. But afaik not so much from being outside rather people using shared facilities and the issue of large crowds not being able to observe social distancing.

That said the bigger issue imo is that people meeting up outside is not going to change the behaviour of those already breaking the restrictions in meeting up in groups inside.

When was there 100000 people on Bournemouth beach btw?

The Ireland France Rugby match had significant isolation and controls for all those involved. Not comparable to a bunch of people meeting up for the crack.

Last June, it was actually 1/2 million people:eek:

A major incident was declared on Thursday after up to half a million people flocked to the sandy Dorset beaches.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/19/how-the-beach-super-spreader-myth-can-inform-uks-future-covid-response

• Registered Users Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Maybe they both have underlying conditions?

You'd be hard pushed to find anywhere online in Ireland begrudging a 79 year old President a vaccine

Yet, here it is on Boards

Ahh give over. It says they "waited their turn". So I'm referrring to the fact that the Govt. website says over 80's will be vaccinated before 75-79. They were vaccinated before people over 80.

Relax a tad before accusing me of begrudging the president a vaccine, only making a point.

Golfwidow wrote: »
    I have to say that this also concerns me. My parents are both older than our president and both have very serious underlying conditions - including cancer. They still haven’t been contacted by their GP regards the vaccine. My mother has rang to be told she will hear in a few weeks. What’s going on?

That is concerning indeed, and you should ring their GP and find out!

Not quite.

A "third of patients with Covid-19 in hospital contracted the virus"* whilst in hospital.

So not of all Irish Covid cases.

https://www.thejournal.ie/third-contracting-covid-in-hospital-varadkar-5331491-Jan2021/

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

A third of hospitalisations during a period in January were people who went into hospital for something else and ended up catching covid while in there.

They were still counted as covid hospitalisations though, even if that wasn't their primary reason for being there.

At the same time 2000 frontline healthcare workers were also infected, this was during the first 2 weeks of January

Last June, it was actually 1/2 million people:eek:

A major incident was declared on Thursday after up to half a million people flocked to the sandy Dorset beaches.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/19/how-the-beach-super-spreader-myth-can-inform-uks-future-covid-response

From that I wonder why the UK government decided to go with restrictions on large groups outdoors - considering that Professor Mark Woolhouse (who undertook that study) sits on the government’s SPI-M committee?

Again I don't think anyone is arguing that its outside itself which is the issue rather the propensity for people to use shared facilities such as toilets, public transport etc.

The other issue is that the situation has changed with regard to the virus itself- with authorities in the UK suggesting the UK variant is up to 70% more transmissible.

Interestingly Professor Mark Woolhouse also believes that schools don't contribute to a surge in Covid cases.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-news/no-surge-covid-19-cases-19859031

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭h2005

Golfwidow wrote: »

Ring your GP. My parents are the same age as the president and got theirs last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

My mother is 76 and was talking to her GP about something else last week. At the end of the conversation the GP said she could arrange an appointment to come in after Easter to get her first jab in the Surgery, or go to a mass vax centre a few days earlier if she so wished, but it wouldn't make any difference overall.

All people in the 75 to 80 cohort need to make the effort to ensure an appointment, just to be sure they aren't missed out for any administrative reason, in what is a massive undertaking.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement