Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIII-231,484 ROI(4,610 deaths)116,197 NI (2,107 deaths)(23/03)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Timmy O Toole

mcburns07 wrote: »
    Hasn't this already started with nursing home visits now being allowed again while the rest of us are not meant to visit anyone else's home?

No problem with nursing home residents getting a visit, I've a big problem with my 82 year old nan being allowed go shopping or to a restaurant while I'm stuck at home to protect her?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Ronan Glynn saying today that "If every individual can do just that little bit more over the next few weeks we will stop another wave".

But still, they are doing unnecessary daily indoor stuff. Eamon Ryan, MM and Leo all talked today about a climate change bill. How can they justify talking about that indoors?

MM on a radio show, in person, yesterday, and I'm sure lots of other times. Why?

Is it cos they are so obsessed with going indoors themselves that they can't see fit to help people get outdoors? :)

Ronan Glynn saying today that "If every individual can do just that little bit more over the next few weeks we will stop another wave".

But still, they are doing unnecessary daily indoor stuff. Eamon Ryan, MM and Leo all talked today about a climate change bill. How can they justify talking about that indoors?

What I found shocking about that is how Ronan Glynn remains the figurehead and spokesperson of COVID-19 - the immediate crisis at play - but how the MM, Eamon Ryan, and Leo are happy to appear about a climate bill.

Nothing wrong with climate bills, but everything wrong with this shouldering of responsibility onto Ronan Glynn and NPHET.

If anything, it shows how weak a leader Michael Martin really is; a supine political creature of the lowest order.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

We lock down everyone for over a year to protect mostly the old, frail and seriously ill. Then be expected to stay locked down while the people we were protecting are free to do as they like. Some chance.

Whilst I agree the irony is a little jarring, I would be happy to let the old and vulnerable enjoy their life. I’m relatively healthy and have at least half my life in front of me. They’d probably only have a six month advantage on us “healthies” in reality. It would also be a massive driver in getting people vaccinated who up to till now have proclaimed they’ll sit and wait or just don’t think they need to be vaccinated.

The commercial viability of it is probably another matter. If pubs, restaurants, cinemas are allowed to open up but are all competing for 10-15% of the pre-COVID market they’ll more than likely lose more money than by remaining closed. You would assume government supports would stop or dramatically reduce if businesses were allowed to open up.

Pwindedd wrote: »
    Whilst I agree the irony is a little jarring, I would be happy to let the old and vulnerable enjoy their life. I’m relatively healthy and have at least half my life in front of me. They’d probably only have a six month advantage on us “healthies” in reality. It would also be a massive driver in getting people vaccinated who up to till now have proclaimed they’ll sit and wait or just don’t think they need to be vaccinated.

The commercial viability of it is probably another matter. If pubs, restaurants, cinemas are allowed to open up but are all competing for 10-15% of the pre-COVID market they’ll more than likely lose more money than by remaining closed. You would assume government supports would stop or dramatically reduce if businesses were allowed to open up.

Eh????. You have half your life in front of you....ok...can i bottle that certainty....i had a work mate who said the same a year ago...he died two weeks ago..colon cancer..the illusion of control is gas...and im sure many of the people with undiagnosed cancer wont feel the same when they get the call...no priority given..open up for all equally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

MM on a radio show, in person, yesterday, and I'm sure lots of other times. Why?

Is it cos they are so obsessed with going indoors themselves that they can't see fit to help people get outdoors? :)

They're completely out of touch and sadly when was it ever any different.

They're all on RTE having a debate on Irish unity. Every Mickey mouse RTE show is essential. I don't watch much TV but was a little shocked to see guests back in the Late Late studio considering what they expect of us plebs.

I sometimes feel like going outside to scream, the powerlessness of the situation is awful. I'm no conspiracy theorist and bought into protecting the vulnerable but enough is enough.

Government will always seek more power. Public bodies will alway seek more resources. These are not conspiracy theories but basic human and institutional nature. There are academic tomes on such.

To sit passively by while all this happens is horrible, but what can we do? Say anything or even contemplate protesting and you're a conspiracy theorist or a right wing nut job.

I currently despair for our democracy and our country. Please God I'm overreacting and things will soon be better for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭seamusk84

This is now getting ridiculous.

I have completely lost faith in the Governments & NPHETS ability to manage this issue in any shape or form...I had before anyway, but now I really am at a loss.

- 50% of restaurants/cafe's/bars are going to go to the wall. Basically the bedrock of our tourist industry being thrown to the wolves.
    - No plan with clear metrics on when we can start opening up the various sectors of the economy.
    - A minister for heath who has been MIA for 2 months
    - A Taoiseach who seems to be completely subservient to a group of un-elected public servants and is afraid of his own shadow.
    - A pointless never ending lockdown where we are subjected to constant scare tactics by the media and TD's

What the hell are we doing here. Bloody hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Oh yes, visiting an elderly relative for the first time in a year, while maintaining extreme social distance and wearing PPE is way superior to meeting a friend outdoors for some exercise. :rolleyes:

This is exactly what I had with my mother today.
    20 minute visit with mask and at a distance in a room.
    In a weird sort of way she's probably lucky she has dementia so she doesn't remember a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

No problem with nursing home residents getting a visit, I've a big problem with my 82 year old nan being allowed go shopping or to a restaurant while I'm stuck at home to protect her?

What’s the problem. Life has to open up again. Commerce has to start again. People need freedoms. So as soon as people are vaccinated then they should be allowed to get back to normal. Quite frankly it is bonkers otherwise.

They're all on RTE having a debate on Irish unity. Every Mickey mouse RTE show is essential. I don't watch much TV but was a little shocked to see guests back in the Late Late studio considering what they expect of us plebs.

I sometimes feel like going outside to scream, the powerlessness of the situation is awful. I'm no conspiracy theorist and bought into protecting the vulnerable but enough is enough.

Government will always seek more power. Public bodies will alway seek more resources. These are not conspiracy theories but basic human and institutional nature. There are academic tomes on such.

To sit passively by while all this happens is horrible, but what can we do? Say anything or even contemplate protesting and you're a conspiracy theorist or a right wing nut job.

I currently despair for our democracy and our country. Please God I'm overreacting and things will soon be better for everyone.

Dont worry when someone feels threatened, they get dismissive, then they attack your credibility, then they attack you personally and then they finally attack your sanity...but thats how you know you have them worried..unfortunately even a clown can have the room sometimes..RTE run a great clown show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭User142

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    So dont let anybody out until you can get out is it ? How will that help you ? Or is it just so no one can enjoy themselves because you cant ?
    I would happily see anyone vaccinated ( well apart from HSE admin staff but that a whole other thread ) go and enjoy life if they can . Sure they might as well because keeping them in until I can go out makes no sense to me

Yes to be served by young minimum wage unvaccinated workers who are banned from meeting their friends. That will go down an absolute treat and won't lead to an even more rapid widespread abandonment of the rules by that demographic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Actually yes, I saw Brendan Gleeson on Late Late Show other night, and was wondering, does he just not have to worry about 5km limits cos he's going to talk to Tubs and play the banjo?

Doesn't fit with what the rest of us are being asked to do. They could hold zooms, it might not be as good, but it would be in keeping with what everyone else is being asked to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Why can’t elderly and at risk just cocoon w/ the rest of society getting on with life?

This is getting abit much now. Protect the vulnerable and redefine what an essential service means - right now, we are not living with covid. We are living around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

Actually yes, I saw Brendan Gleeson on Late Late Show other night, and was wondering, does he just not have to worry about 5km limits cos he's going to talk to Tubs and play the banjo?

Doesn't fit with what the rest of us are being asked to do. They could hold zooms, it might not be as good, but it would be in keeping with what everyone else is being asked to do.

Imagine how stupid more and more people feel when they come to this realisation (amongst other things).

Lockdown is only for us peasants apparently and doesn't apply if you're a celeb or politician. Lead by example is something our 'elite' don't do too well. Zoom is below them don't you know, sure MM did an in person RADIO interview (and of course would have been in Washington for Paddy's day only for Biden had the cop on to say no) , when will we stop tolerating these double standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭baldbear

Brother in law got the vaccine up North on Monday. He used to live in London.

And on the news tonight they said people from the South are been turned away.

I wonder how many from South actually got vaccinated up north?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,412 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What really annoys me is RTE and Virgin Media news reporters broadcasting live outside the HSE afterhours when nothing whatsoever is going to happen, why put the reporter, camera/sound staff at unecessary risk, absolutely pointless. Stay Indoors me hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

theballz wrote: »
    Why can’t elderly and at risk just cocoon w/ the rest of society getting on with life?

Why can't the virus catch the bus to Madagascar?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

baldbear wrote: »
    Brother in law got the vaccine up North on Monday. He used to live in London.

And on the news tonight they said people from the South are been turned away.

I wonder how many from South actually got vaccinated up north?

fcuk me its getting worse

Locotastic wrote: »
    Imagine how stupid more and more people feel when they come to this realisation (amongst other things).

Lockdown is only for us peasants apparently and doesn't apply if you're a celeb or politician. Lead by example is something our 'elite' don't do too well. Zoom is below them don't you know, sure MM did an in person RADIO interview (and of course would have been in Washington for Paddy's day only for Biden had the cop on to say no) , when will we stop tolerating these double standards.

100%%%%. Telling us the virus is highly transmisable, doesnt discriminate and mutates like a slug...but only when the electorate pop out for the paper...they need to stay relevant and keep your attention..like the great and powerful OZ

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

It was the same muppetry with the first episode of the new season of Top Gear [yeah i know UK] - they had the pageantry of socially distancing their crew with pantomime masks. Then the three oddball presenters - claimed they had tests and had formed a bubble. They then proceeded to drive up and down the country. Meanwhile the peasants are stuck with ever stranger rules.

Not a *single* thing on RTE warrants essential status.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jackboy

Sobit1964 wrote: »
    It was the same muppetry with the first episode of the new season of Top Gear [yeah i know UK] - they had the pageantry of socially distancing their crew with pantomime masks. Then the three oddball presenters - claimed they had tests and had formed a bubble. They then proceeded to drive up and down the country. Meanwhile the peasants are stuck with ever stranger rules.

Not a *single* thing on RTE warrants essential status.

When off-licences are essential it’s a very grey area.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

User142 wrote: »
    Yes to be served by young minimum wage unvaccinated workers who are banned from meeting their friends. That will go down an absolute treat and won't lead to an even more rapid widespread abandonment of the rules by that demographic.

This. Hospitality industry is staffed almost exclusively by younger people who will not be vaccinated. Putting them (and thus their families) directly at risk when cases are high in the community just to allow a few vaccinated people out for a jolly is unacceptable.

I see RTE investigates is all about how tough the heroism is for whistleblowers like Maurice mcCabe... an easy piece to do I'd grant them..

But that about Marcus De Brun...
    https://twitter.com/indepdubnrth/status/1355796502019530752

https://www.thejournal.ie/doctor-resigns-medical-council-5079141-Apr2020/

Its very concerning that Leo is worrying.

https://twitter.com/LeoVaradkar/status/1374494959856881684?s=19

Children to start getting vaccinated in August in the UK. This is more concerning than any amount of cases or variants! Kids are almost immune to this already.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/03/23/exclusive-children-line-covid-vaccines-august/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Last sentence just feels like it was bolted on as a last minute addition

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Last sentence just feels like it was bolted on as a last minute addition

Making it up as he goes along, like the Government in general. All too evident they've hardly an iota what they're doing, at the same time being overly deferential to NPHET. Parroting the single issue approach to exclusion of everything else, including postponement of surgeries and cancer treatment...did I mention the faltering economy? Meanwhile, they're making a dogs dinner of the vaccine rollout and pleading with a harassed populace to make more concessions. We're not receptive to this codswallop anymore Leo, stop blaming the public full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Little bit worrying stats from Brazil, I guess showing how the lethality of the virus variant increased mortality among all age groups.

COVID deaths under 60 in Brazil after the first wave made up 20% of deaths , but in the 3 months since January the proportion of Brazil's covid death toll under 60 has jumped to 27%. Meaning 35% of COVID deaths in Brazil's second wave have been under 60 which is a bit shocking, but may be exaggerated by fact limited vaccinations of elderly have been happening. But the doubling of ICU stay length shows this is not the only reason, there really are more younger people getting seriously ill both proportionally and in total number.
    The average stay in intensive care has nearly doubled, from 15 to 28 days, according to Graccho Alvim, head of the Private Hospital Association of Rio de Janeiro.

"That's because we're receiving a lot of young patients, and they resist the disease better than the elderly," Alvim told newspaper Globo.
    https://www.batimes.com.ar/news/latin-america/in-brazil-covid-is-increasingly-hitting-the-young.phtml

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Making it up as he goes along, like the Government in general. All too evident they've hardly an iota what they're doing, at the same time being overly deferential to NPHET. Parroting the single issue approach to exclusion of everything else, including postponement of surgeries and cancer treatment...did I mention the faltering economy?

If people weren't acting the maggot then there would less Covid and more space in hospitals for more surgeries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Children to start getting vaccinated in August in the UK. This is more concerning than any amount of cases or variants! Kids are almost immune to this already.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/03/23/exclusive-children-line-covid-vaccines-august/

Great news. Then schools will be able to operate without disruption.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement