Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIII-231,484 ROI(4,610 deaths)116,197 NI (2,107 deaths)(23/03)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

not sure how to isolate the video below chart and post..if someone else can? From the dail.

Two questions why is a 75 year old woman being evicted if they are tied to 5km guidline/level 5? And whow did yer man get the ashes on the forehead if churches are meant to be closed?

https://mobile.twitter.com/darrenmaccann/status/1364682159731204098

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

I'm happy enough to concede he was right to give the warning. The issue is the accompanying restrictions. I think it caused some people to tune out. I know that sounds counterintuitive to the likes of you or me who keep at least somewhat up to speed on these threads. But think of the average person who isn't. "Sure they're saying we need to be careful and putting these restrictions on us and numbers have been low for weeks. They don't know what they're at".

As I'm typing this out though it's occurred to me that Glynn seemed happy enough to ease up on restrictions when numbers stayed low while he was running the show, so maybe I'm doing the man a disservice.

I agree with your last bit. Glynn is a decent skin. And I think Nolan and deGascun are also. Tony has a big ego but his heart is in the right place. I think the structures have not really worked and communication has been dreadful - down to Government and broad strategy.

Some of the other commentators such as McConkey, Ryan, Staines and the sensationalist RTÉ are a different matter altogether.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

speckle wrote: »
    not sure how to isolate the video below chart and post..if someone else can?

Two questions why is a 75 year old woman being evicted if they are tied to 5km guidline/level 5? And whow did yer man get the ashes on the forehead if churches are meant to be closed?

You could collect ashes from Church iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

“To those people”........

Who are coming from countries on the mandatory quarantine list. Sad attempt at deflection there. Less than one third came forward for a free test so we'll all be locked up at home far longer thanks to a totally inept government.

Stheno wrote: »
    You could collect ashes from Church iirc

thanks the lessor mystery solved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

not sure how to isolate the video below chart and post..if someone else can? From the dail.

Churches were putting ashes in Envelops and letting people pick them up, some were put in Envelops in letter boxes. For someone to ask that question in the Dail is some joke and shows just how poor the level of politics has got to in this country - petty little things.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

ICU down from 149 to 135 in the last 24 hours but 10 deaths in that period.

Hospitalisations have broken the optimistic 600 mark with 597, 4 days before the end of the month.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

marno21 wrote: »
    ICU down from 149 to 135 in the last 24 hours but 10 deaths in that period.

Hospitalisations have broken the optimistic 600 mark with 597, 4 days before the end of the month.

Was 600 in hospital the optimistic projection by the end of the month?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

It was the revised downwards optimistic figure. Previous optimistic figure was 800

• Registered Users Posts: 7,345 ✭✭✭prunudo

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Hospital numbers at 8pm today

Total 597 (down from 642 last night)
    ICU 135 (down from 149 last night)

Lowest total number since 1 Jan.

If the current reduction continues at the same rate hospital numbers will be very low come Easter. Wonder will they be forced to open construction earlier or will they find another reason to be concerned and cautious.

• Advertisement

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Churches were putting ashes in Envelops and letting people pick them up, some were put in Envelops in letter boxes.

thanks clever idea
    For someone to ask that question in the Dail is some joke and shows just how poor the level of politics has got to in this country - petty little things.
    well its important to the pensioner who might be evicted and to everybody else if they are sayimg the 5km cant be increased for at least 6 weeks or more as it is tied to the moratuim on evictions. So it either is or isnt? Politics in the main has been at a poor level in this country for many a year ..I can agree on that most certainly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,976 ✭✭✭✭titan18

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Latest NPHET letter has 500-600

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Latest NPHET letter has 500-600

goal posts moving?

titan18 wrote: »

Unreal story

Unfortunately not surprising

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

prunudo wrote: »
    If the current reduction continues at the same rate hospital numbers will be very low come Easter. Wonder will they be forced to open construction earlier or will they find another reason to be concerned and cautious.

It must be a great relief for the health service personnel to see that reduction, to be vaccinated and seeing the end in sight. They have had a rotten 12 months at the front line particularly at the start when they did not know how bad it could be.

We will rightfully argue about the economy, timing of reopening, poor communication by Govt., and who was to blame for Christmas etc etc but full credit to them. My hope is that this is a springboard to a sustainable and well funded health service.

goal posts moving?

Revised predictions

They also revised cases predictions

The letter says that even if the population work to keep the R number below 1, there could still be 400-500 cases a day by the end of this month and 200-350 a day by mid-March.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

prunudo wrote: »

Yeah by holding back now they should actually have more wiggle room in April. This is assuming schools don't mess everything up. Spread of the new variant in children is very much the wild card here. As England are going ahead with a more rapid opening of schools we should be able to benefit from that and adjust accordingly if needs be. Hopefully that will not be necessary for either country.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

thanks clever idea

well its important to the pensioner who might be evicted and to everybody else if they are sayimg the 5km cant be increased for at least 6 weeks or more as it is tied to the moratuim on evictions. So it either is or isnt? Politics in the main has been at a poor level in this country for many a year ..I can agree on that most certainly.

In most of these cases, there could be more to the story than what they are saying though. For instance it's not a blanket moratorium on evictions that many believe. There are instances that you can be evicted.

A bit of hope
    Taoiseach Micheál Martin has indicated for the first time that Level 5 restrictions on outdoor activity, sport, construction and remaining within 5km of home could be eased on Easter Monday, April 5th.

In what was received as a move to provide a tangible date, Mr Martin told the Fianna Fáil parliamentary party on Wednesday night that those four areas would be examined before Easter, in tandem with the National Public Health Emergency Team (Nphet).

The clarification on this issue means if the advice from Nphet on the metrics were favourable, the first steps to a wider reopening of society from lockdown would commence at the beginning of April rather than later in the month.

• Advertisement

A bit of hope

I'll believe it when I see it

He needs to get past NPHET first

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    I'll believe it when I see it

He needs to get past NPHET first

I genuinely believe March is a pivotal month between cases/hospitalisations dropping and vaccines completing for healthcare workers and nursing home residents

24th March could look very different to today

Caveat is the impact of school reopening though

In most of these cases, there could be more to the story than what they are saying though. For instance it's not a blanket moratorium on evictions that many believe. There are instances that you can be evicted.

would you list or have a link to the exceptions thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

A bit of hope

Communication remains a shambles so - completely unclear about this yesterday when addressing the nation and clarifies/changes the message this evening when talking to the FF parliamentary party

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

From citizens advice.

unless the notice to quit is for the following reasons:

Anti-social behaviour
    Acting in a way that would invalidate a house insurance policy
    Acting in a way that would cause substantial damage to the accommodation
    Using the accommodation for commercial or other non-residential purposes

Tbh I would take any politician grandstanding with a hefty pinch of salt.

Rezident wrote: »

From reading that it sounds like they dont wait the 15 minutes post shot?

From Citizens information
    If your landlord has given you a valid notice to quit (also called an eviction notice), the notice is paused while these restrictions are in place, and also for a further 10 days after the restrictions are lifted, unless the notice to quit is for the following reasons:

Anti-social behaviourActing in a way that would invalidate a house insurance policyActing in a way that would cause substantial damage to the accommodationUsing the accommodation for commercial or other non-residential purposes

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/tenancies_and_covid19.html

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Maxface

A bit of hope

Great though that he is telling his party that this may be the case, the public can live off of second hand information. I know they have numerous highly paid advisors and at least one of them must be familiar with effective communication. I really can't understand it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,976 ✭✭✭✭titan18

A bit of hope

Would be nice if they put hairdressers into that group too. I fail to see how it's not a safe activity with masks, social distancing between customers etc and good ventilation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement