Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIII-231,484 ROI(4,610 deaths)116,197 NI (2,107 deaths)(23/03)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Making it up as he goes along, like the Government in general. All too evident they've hardly an iota what they're doing, at the same time being overly deferential to NPHET. Parroting the single issue approach to exclusion of everything else, including postponement of surgeries and cancer treatment...did I mention the faltering economy? Meanwhile, they're making a dogs dinner of the vaccine rollout and pleading with a harassed populace to make more concessions. We're not receptive to this codswallop anymore Leo, stop blaming the public full stop.

That's not actually true and you know it. The vaccine is largely being administered as soon as it's delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Hospital numbers as of 8pm

In Hospital 325 (decrease of 17)
    In ICU 76 (decrease 4)

1 death in hospital the last 24hrs

Last Tuesday
    In hospital 349
    ICU 85

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

Great news. Then schools will be able to operate without disruption.

Forcing children to take untested vaccines is monstrous. There needs to be exceptional care taken on the verification of these vaccines on both children and pregnant women. As this is not the case yet [i hope it will be later] Hancock would do well to slow his roll.

https://www.statnews.com/2021/03/22/we-need-to-start-thinking-more-critically-speaking-cautiously-long-covid/

Good article breaking down the media narrative of 'long-covid' into a more realistic science based discussion.
    In Yong’s influential article, he cites a survey of Covid long-haulers in which some two-thirds of them had negative coronavirus antibody tests — blood tests that reveal prior SARS-CoV-2 infection.

People driven by such fear that they manifest symptoms. The media once again have a lot to answer for in driving vulnerable people into a hysteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

What's all this talk on the media this morning of a massive surge in Ireland? Last 5 days :

18th - 581
    19th - 510
    20th - 525
    21st - 768
    22nd - 520
    23rd - 365

How is that a massive surge??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭prunudo

What's all this talk on the media this morning of a massive surge in Ireland? Last 5 days :

18th - 581
    19th - 510
    20th - 525
    21st - 768
    22nd - 520
    23rd - 365

Its because the media don't have the ability to think for themselves and just repeat what they're feed by nphet and the government. In that sense the government are painting a picture far worse than it is so they can justify the minimum of easing of restrictions in 2 weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

prunudo wrote: »
    Its because the media don't have the ability to think for themselves and just repeat what they're feed by nphet and the government. In that sense the government are painting a picture far worse than it is so they can justify the minimum of easing of restrictions in 2 weeks time.

Hospital and ICU numbers are down as well. Surely people can see through this crap

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Sobit1964 wrote: »
    Forcing children to take untested vaccines is monstrous. There needs to be exceptional care taken on the verification of these vaccines on both children and pregnant women. As this is not the case yet [i hope it will be later] Hancock would do well to slow his roll.

The vaccines are tested. Rigorously.

‘Untested’ is just untrue and screams ‘do your YouTube research’ more so than any actual understanding of how this works

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Maxface

Recently up here in Donegal, has been a noticeable increase in hearing people going for tests again in the last week. Also noticing people starting again to be off work as a precatution waiting on a test. Prior few months that had stopped compared to end of last year. It was all related to school children. The test center was packed last 4 days of last week at least, probably peaked Friday of last week. I drive past it a few times a day. Has really calmed down again from what I can see Monday, Tuesday. Looked empty when passing. Seemed to be a minor blip with schools picking up community cases and school driven cases. Hopefully with good procedures in place it will have sweeped those up and we can continue on the way down again. Seems like it to me anyway.

bennyl10 wrote: »
    The vaccines are tested. Rigorously.

‘Untested’ is just untrue and screams ‘do your YouTube research’ more so than any actual understanding of how this works

Go ahead and enlighten us all with how these vaccines have passed normal testing procedures for under 18s and pregnant women.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

18th - 581 592
    19th - 510 646
    20th - 525 543
    21st - 768 384
    22nd - 520 575
    23rd - 365 349

If you look at the comparison of the last week to the week before there is a slow rise. Not every day but enough days. Sure its only 2 of the last 5 but those 5 days as a whole are 180 higher than those 5 days the previous week.

Not a massive surge and any media personalities saying massive surge are a bit silly.

Given that we aren't where we wanted to be to open up a slow rise may as well be a massive surge in terms of progress to open up goes.
    Hospital and ICU numbers are down as well. Surely people can see through this crap
    Icu is creeping down. General hospital is a bit (irrelevantly small bit) higher. Yesterday morning numbers in hospital is slightly higher than the same day the previous week (357 compared to 355).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

If you look at the comparison of the last week to the week before there is a slow rise. Not every day but enough days. Sure its only 2 of the last 5 but those 5 days as a whole are 180 higher than those 5 days the previous week.

Not a massive surge and any media personalities saying massive surge are a bit silly.

Given that we aren't where we wanted to be to open up a slow rise may as well be a massive surge in terms of progress to open up goes.

But we opened a large part of society 3 weeks ago for 1 million people

Surely the numbers are better than expected ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Not all of them, 1m includes ALL of secondary as well.

Perhaps they are better than expected when the R number 3 weeks ago was 0.8-1 but if a slow increase in numbers is what we have then I'm not sure we can open anything more.

If schools moves us from slow decline to slow increase can we afford other measures which will only speed up our increase.

Unless of course you make the argument that by opening outdoor gatherings we will close house parties and other banned gatherings. Not sure I buy it.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Not all of them, 1m includes ALL of secondary as well.

Noted . My point still stands though . With opening parts of society while vaccinations are slow numbers will rise .

It's been more of a plateau than a rise

Surely that is a good thing

But we are hearing fears of a 4th wave etc

Its ridiculous

Go ahead and enlighten us all with how these vaccines have passed normal testing procedures for under 18s and pregnant women.

Trials on children under 12 started in February. This is very easily discovered.

The results of these trials will be available in the coming weeks, and if all is fine will be rolled out.

Just because the testing is quicker and expedited doesn’t mean it’s ‘untested’

Trials on children under 12 started in February. This is very easily discovered.

The results of these trials will be available in the coming weeks, and if all is fine will be rolled out.

Just because the testing is quicker and expedited doesn’t mean it’s ‘untested’

As it stands at the moment there are no results. Thank you for being pedantic and making my point.

Noted . My point still stands though . With opening parts of society while vaccinations are slow numbers will rise .

It's been more of a plateau than a rise

Surely that is a good thing

But we are hearing fears of a 4th wave etc

Its ridiculous

Its disputed that there was even a 4th wave of the Spanish flu - has there ever been a serious fourth wave in a pandemic - or might this be a new thing due to the flattened curve only pushing deaths and infections to a later date?

As it stands at the moment there are no results. Thank you for being pedantic and making my point.

They aren’t giving vaccines to children today? It’s August at the earliest! Well after these trials are finished.

Your point that the vaccine is untested is completely untrue

They aren’t giving vaccines to children today? It’s August at the earliest! Well after these trials are finished.

Your point that the vaccine is untested is completely untrue

I think you might be arguing with yourself. I agree with you trials aren't finished - its being tested.

For the purposes of clarity, I hope that they pass with flying colors.

• Advertisement

Its disputed that there was even a 4th wave of the Spanish flu - has there ever been a serious fourth wave in a pandemic - or might this be a new thing due to the flattened curve only pushing deaths and infections to a later date?

Waves such as we are having is such an artificial term.

Look at Europe. Our second and third wave was a single wave there (we shut down and reopened and shut down again) it hit them later and they shut down once.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There's never been so much data about the prevalence of a disease so nobody can say for sure about historical events. Personally reckon the whole wave concept is more of a media construct to keep feeding the monster.

Waves such as we are having is such an artificial term.

Look at Europe. Our second and third wave was a single wave there (we shut down and reopened and shut down again) it hit them later and they shut down once.

Agreed.

It looks to me like Ireland already had what Europe is now having. I'm not so sure Ireland had what Europe initially had.

It is true that what we called the third wave was infact the delayed put on the second wave by the October Level 5. The likes of Italy are now entering the third wave and when the history of the pandemic is written it will be a double peak in the second wave for Ireland while the rest of the continent experience a more sustained second wave.

There was a forth wave of Spanish Flu in 1920, two years after the first wave.

The Russian Flu of the 1890's spread in 4 distinct waves over 5 years. Some now believe it was actually a coronavirus (endemic viris OC43 which now causes cold because we all have some resistance because we catch it young)

It is true that what we called the third wave was infact the delayed put on the second wave by the October Level 5. The likes of Italy are now entering the third wave and when the history of the pandemic is written it will be a double peak in the second wave for Ireland while the rest of the continent experience a more sustained second wave.

There was a forth wave of Spanish Flu in 1920, two years after the first wave.

The Russian Flu of the 1890's spread in 4 distinct waves over 5 years. Some now believe it was actually a coronavirus (endemic viris OC43 which now causes cold because we all have some resistance because we catch it young)

Thanks that was informative!

Has it not been just one continuous wave ?

Stopping and starting due to lockdowns

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

I had seen research previously, must have a look for it now, that indicated exactly this.

In flattening the curve you don't actually prevent deaths from the disease, you simply prolong the duration to be slightly more controlled.

With vaccine this will alter the outcome, but for that to happen they need to be vaccinating fast and in a larger scale.

I think you might be arguing with yourself. I agree with you trials aren't finished - its being tested.

For the purposes of clarity, I hope that they pass with flying colors.

They all received conditional approval which though acceptable in a risk to benefit pandemic may be only due to the absence of anything else. We could have seizures, people dropping dead with heart issues and strokes but as long as they say its less that what you see in the population, its ok. Im sure those 4 italian health workers would disagree. Also as they are brand new, these vaccines are still on trial and will be for years. The full data on trials has not been handed over and even then the EMA have them labelled for their eyes and the manufacturers only...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Hospital numbers as of 8pm

In Hospital 325 (decrease of 17)
    In ICU 76 (decrease 4)

1 death in hospital the last 24hrs

Last Tuesday
    In hospital 349
    ICU 85

Lowest 8pm total daily figure of 2021 so far.

Previous lowest 331 Friday March 12th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Nermal

We lock down everyone for over a year to protect mostly the old, frail and seriously ill. Then be expected to stay locked down while the people we were protecting are free to do as they like. Some chance.

"We're all in this together"...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement