Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIII-231,484 ROI(4,610 deaths)116,197 NI (2,107 deaths)(23/03)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Has it not been just one continuous wave ?

Stopping and starting due to lockdowns

My thinking as well

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Looks like European Commission going to announce some form of export ban. Likely on AZ vaccines. https://twitter.com/DaveKeating/status/1374662340877164548?s=19

Listening to Coveney on Newstalk. The difference in professionalism and clarity between him and Donnelly in answering the same questions is really remarkable

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Yeah, Coveney always comes across as one of our most able politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Eod100 wrote: »
    Looks like European Commission going to announce some form of export ban. Likely on AZ vaccines. https://twitter.com/DaveKeating/status/1374662340877164548?s=19

Posted in the vaccine thread this morning, there seems to be a big misunderstanding as to what is actually being proposed.

Its not an export ban, it widens the scope of what circumstances allow an export to be blocked by a member state. So far only 1 export has been blocked.

https://www.politico.eu/article/commission-to-table-tougher-vaccine-export-rules/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Posted in the vaccine thread this morning, there seems to be a big misunderstanding as to what is actually being proposed.

Its not an export ban, it widens the scope of what circumstances allow an export to be blocked by a member state. So far only 1 export has been blocked.

https://www.politico.eu/article/commission-to-table-tougher-vaccine-export-rules/

So one EU export of 250k blocked to Australia, who have covid under control, meanwhile India blocked 5mil doses to the UK, who have a higher vaccination rate than India.
    EU is bad and India is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Hadn't seen the technicalities, cheers for that. Seems like a warning shot so at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Stephen Donnelly and Norma Foley must be the two most ineffectual ministers this country has ever had. They were handed the biggest poisoned chalices in the history of the state so I really don't envy them and I'm generally not of the "damn guberment disposition" but the way they've mucked up multiple decisions while their overall communication with the public is atrocious is genuinely baffling.

Simon Harris (failed journalism student turned career politician) had way more class and finesse as a politician in his little finger than these two do together. And he said there were 18 previous Covids......

Norma Foley patronising the public by saying schools were safe at a time when transmission was happening to the tune of five figures a day. No idea how to deal with the public or even gauge the mood of the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,357 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

thelad95 wrote: »
    Stephen Donnelly and Norma Foley must be the two most ineffectual ministers this country has ever had. They were handed the biggest poisoned chalices in the history of the state so I really don't envy them and I'm generally not of the "damn guberment disposition" but the way they've mucked up multiple decisions while their overall communication with the public is atrocious is genuinely baffling.

Simon Harris (failed journalism student turned career politician) had way more class and finesse as a politician in his little finger than these two do together. And he said there were 18 previous Covids......

I felt like what came from Simon Harris' mouth, you'd actually believe. With Stephen Donnelly i feel like he doesn't believe or know what he's on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Simon was genuine. He might not have been great in the role but he cared about it and he cared about the public. Stephen is arrogant and cares about nobody only himself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,251 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Azatadine wrote: »
    Yeah, Coveney always comes across as one of our most able politicians.

A allie for Keelings and Goodman's meat plants too

• Registered Users Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Simon was genuine. He might not have been great in the role but he cared about it and he cared about the public. Stephen is arrogant and cares about nobody only himself

Ya, one of the better things Harris did in lockdown 1 was the twitter videos, and he'd be reading out kids letters. It came across as genuine and made him look human. I don't particularly think he's a good politician but that was a nice touch I thought back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I really liked it when Simon spoke directly to children and acknowledged their worries and talked to them .No one else has ever done that and meant it

titan18 wrote: »
    Ya, one of the better things Harris did in lockdown 1 was the twitter videos, and he'd be reading out kids letters. It came across as genuine and made him look human. I don't particularly think he's a good politician but that was a nice touch I thought back then.

He still does those on Instagram. He does live videos most evenings to check in with people and ask how they are. He’s a good person.

I did feel somewhat more confident when Simon and Leo spoke about it than Stephen and Micheal now, Stephen Donnelly is way out of his league, Micheal was too eager to be Taoiseach he just jumped in unprepared

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

Donnolly is a spoofer. Listening to Coveney there on the radio, he's calm and assured but you can tell that if he doesn't know something, he won't bull**** you like the other fella does. He's probably biding his time, knowing that he'll be the Taoiseach soon enough whereas Donnolly is winging his way towards the magic pension pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Can't believe people buy the schmaltz from Harris. So contrived.

Hospital numbers as of 8pm

In Hospital 325 (decrease of 17)
    In ICU 76 (decrease 4)

1 death in hospital the last 24hrs

Last Tuesday
    In hospital 349
    ICU 85

Gone back up to 357 as of 8am this morning.

Confirmed cases - 357
    Total new confirmed cases - 25
    Discharges - 35

No idea how with those numbers.

zuutroy wrote: »
    Can't believe people buy the schmaltz from Harris. So contrived.

Even if it is schmaltz, he is better at at least trying to connect with people. To hold a position like Minister for Health you need to at least have the ability to even pretend to care about people. I don’t think Stephen has an empathetic bone in his body. He’s in it for what he can get out of it, not what he can give. I’m surprise he hasn’t spontaneously combust yet out of sheer pent up aggression

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

Confirmed cases - 357
    Discharges - 35

Is that from the Covid tracker app? I don't think that gets updated as regularly as it should, they were the 8am yesterday figures as far as I remember. The ICU number seems to change several times a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Confirmed cases - 357
    Discharges - 35

This morning's update hasn't happened yet, that's yesterday's number. They have been late with updates this week, for some reason.

Confirmed cases - 357
    Discharges - 35

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1374686873931632640?s=20
    Five walk-in test centres to open tomorrow.

Tallaght Stadium
    Irishtown Stadium
    Blanchardstown Centre - Mr Price Carpark.
    Grangegorman Primary Car Park
    Spollens Car Park, Tullamore

Open to people within 5km of the centre.

Thats good.

Normal One wrote: »
    Is that from the Covid tracker app? I don't think that gets updated as regularly as it should, they were the 8am yesterday figures as far as I remember. The ICU number seems to change several times a day.

The geohive one. It says last updated today and 8am on the graph for hospital cases.

Journal reported it too

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I did feel somewhat more confident when Simon and Leo spoke about it than Stephen and Micheal now, Stephen Donnelly is way out of his league, Micheal was too eager to be Taoiseach he just jumped in unprepared

are you serious?? he said the houses in Ballymun would be done for about 11--130K.at the end they cost 230K and it never went to tender if I recall.
    He's a teflon suited spoofer in the waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

Lucas Hood wrote: »

This was surprisingly quick.

You are reading a hell of a lot into how these people come across on media interviews. Arrogant people are perfectly capable of coming across as genuine, and vice versa.

You don't know either of these people, and have no idea what motivates them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

You are reading a hell of a lot into how these people come across on media interviews. Arrogant people are perfectly capable of coming across as genuine, and vice versa.

You don't know either of these people, and have no idea what motivates them.

Neither do you.

We can only judge on what we see.

Neither do you.

We can only judge on what we see.

Neither do I, you are right. I try to judge people by what they do, rather than how they come across.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I see Ciara Kelly put it up to Sam Mconkey today when he was waffling on about long covid.

Michael McDowell on Niall Boylan now talking sense.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement