Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIII-231,484 ROI(4,610 deaths)116,197 NI (2,107 deaths)(23/03)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭11521323

God forbid they try and get the most up to date info before making a call

It's not that, it's the fact they're leaking like an old bucket. It's not the way the leaders of the country should conduct themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭covidrelease

11521323 wrote: »
    It's not that, it's the fact they're leaking like an old bucket. It's not the way the leaders of the country should conduct themselves.

Agreed. They should have learned by now to stop trying to out do each other with leaking the announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭political analyst

Colm McCarthy wrote in last weekend's Sunday Indo that only admission to hospital for treatment prevents younger people from dying of Covid in larger numbers.

He referred to the fear that exists in many continental countries - that hospital capacity is being approached and can't be quickly expanded and treatment may not be available for people who would survive if admitted. He described this fear as the nightmare that was seen in northern Italy during the first wave and believes it was avoided in Ireland last January by a small margin than we imagine.
    Everyone becomes vulnerable if the hospitals cannot admit people.

What I have quoted from him doesn't appear to make sense - if you're not vulnerable, infection with SARS-CoV-2 won't cause you to need hospitalisation.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Colm McCarthy wrote in last weekend's Sunday Indo that only admission to hospital for treatment prevents younger people from dying of Covid in larger numbers.

He referred to the fear that exists in many continental countries - that hospital capacity is being approached and can't be quickly expanded and treatment may not be available for people who would survive if admitted. He described this fear as the nightmare that was seen in northern Italy during the first wave and believes it was avoided in Ireland last January by a small margin than we imagine.

What I have quoted from him doesn't appear to make sense - if you're not vulnerable, infection with SARS-CoV-2 won't cause you to need hospitalisation.

Yeah, he's pretty correct. "Vulnerable" to Covid means 2 very different things depending on whether you're talking about population at risk of death versus population at risk of needed hospitalisation (probably at least 10x difference, full order of magnitude).

I know a handful of people who have died because of Covid, but I know quite a lot of people who were briefly hospitalised so they could receive supplementary oxygen etc. They weren't necessarily hugely serious cases, but may have become them if we ran out of hospital capacity.

We thankfully didn't run out of capacity for these sort of cases in January, though we weren't very far away. Expanding capacity to treat these cases though did mean we had to shut down other services (cancer etc.) that will probably have detrimental effects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Concerns over strain of Covid detected in Carrick on Suir school

http://tippfm.com/news/coronavirus/concerns-strain-covid-detected-carrick-suir-school/
    In an email sent to parents – which has been seen by Tipp FM – the HSE says that the strain detected in Carrick is a variant of concern although they say they are not aware if it’s more dangerous but they are calling on people to take extra measures to stop the further spread.

Despite this, students who have NOT been identified as close contacts, have been deemed safe to return and Tipp FM understands that the majority of students who are deemed close contacts to the confirmed cases are expected to receive their first Covid test tomorrow.

** insert Comical Ali picture here, etc **

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

ShineOn7 wrote: »

Schools getting hit hard with Community Transmission

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Schools getting hit hard with Community Transmission

Crazy eh?

Those pesky School household outbreaks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Timmy O Toole

Amirani wrote: »
    Yeah, he's pretty correct. "Vulnerable" to Covid means 2 very different things depending on whether you're talking about population at risk of death versus population at risk of needed hospitalisation (probably at least 10x difference, full order of magnitude).

I know a handful of people who have died because of Covid, but I know quite a lot of people who were briefly hospitalised so they could receive supplementary oxygen etc. They weren't necessarily hugely serious cases, but may have become them if we ran out of hospital capacity.

We thankfully didn't run out of capacity for these sort of cases in January, though we weren't very far away. Expanding capacity to treat these cases though did mean we had to shut down other services (cancer etc.) that will probably have detrimental effects.

You personally know 4 or 5 people who have died from Covid and you also know 'a lot of people who have been hospitalised due to covid.. aha you must have giggled typing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Looks like the NI vaccine loophole to be closed

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0323/1205728-northern-ireland-vaccinations/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

You personally know 4 or 5 people who have died from Covid and you also know 'a lot of people who have been hospitalised due to covid.. aha you must have giggled typing that.

Not that strange. I know 4 who died and at least 5 who were hospitalised (2 in ICU for over a month).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭celt262

gozunda wrote: »

RTE are slow on the ball or just re dating articles because i read that yesterday or the day before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭political analyst

ShineOn7 wrote: »

If the closure of schools had been effective it would've meant the end of this lockdown by the middle of last month at the latest. However, after 2 months of that closure, most businesses are still not being allowed to re-open. For pupils whose parents' businesses are in jeopardy, exams are probably the least of their concerns.

celt262 wrote: »
    RTE are slow on the ball or just re dating articles because i read that yesterday or the day before.

Did you post about it? haven't seen it being discussed here anyway.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Not that strange. I know 4 who died and at least 5 who were hospitalised (2 in ICU for over a month).

Were the 4 who died all old and ill anyway or were they young and healthy with no medical conditions of note?

I know three really old people, 2 terminally ill with cancer, the other with a lot of issues and got covid in hospital, they all died.

I know another 78 yo who died who was reasonably healthy for his age.

Of those 4 I would say 1, at best, died of covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Yeah definitely colds amongst schoolchildren in Cork

Friends daughter got tested on Monday

Thankfully negative

7 in the class tested but all negative

We have had it too. Very short headcolds with the 4yos. Husband got it too and tested - not detected.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Were the 4 who died all old and ill anyway or were they young and healthy with no medical conditions of note?

I know three really old people, 2 terminally ill with cancer, the other with a lot of issues and got covid in hospital, they all died.

"Old" becomes subjective as we age ourselves (I'm a young 62 year old)

They ranged from 83 (with health issues) to 56 with no issues. Three of them were living full and active lives until they contracted Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭celt262

Did you post about it? haven't seen it being discussed here anyway.

I think it was here that i see it cant be sure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,288 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I don't know anybody that died but I know more than ten people who have been in hospital with covid, three of them in ICU. Two of those that were in ICU were close the the 50 mark, one with only Asthma the other with no.underlying conditions. One of them has long covid now, on oxygen all the time, I haven't heard anything from the other guy since he got out if hospital five weeks ago but he's not back at work and he's an essential worker.
    I live in a small town in rural Ireland but some of those who've had it live in different areas. Guy with long covid lives in Waterford. Another lives in Cork city but the majority are local.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

Two locals here in early sixties - both living full and active lives were in ICU for months but didn’t make it. Another in his thirties caught it last April was in ICU but survived. He’s still in rehab hospital as far as I know.

• Advertisement

Given both my partner and myself have worked in healthcare throughout the pandemic, and up to a third of cases were healthcare workers at certain points, it's not particularly surprising or "giggly", but glad you enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Eod100 wrote: »

Anyone know the rationale for not being able to have symptoms to do the walk up tests? Is it about trying to pick up asymptomatic cases only or managing how many people are able to get one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

I have 3 elderly relatives who have had it, one with serious underlying issues including COPD and cancer. All were only slightly ill, as were 2 adult children, their partners and their combined 5 children.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Amirani wrote: »
    Given both my partner and myself have worked in healthcare throughout the pandemic, and up to a third of cases were healthcare workers at certain points, it's not particularly surprising or "giggly", but glad you enjoyed it.

Just a big Thank you both from me and my family . I really hope you both get a break soon .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Eod100 wrote: »
    Anyone know the rationale for not being able to have symptoms to do the walk up tests? Is it about trying to pick up asymptomatic cases only or managing how many people are able to get one?

If you have symptoms they want you under care from your doctor.

If you don't have a doctor you need to get one.

Not show up at a test centre and self treat.

I know someone who had a long term heart condition and who sadly died in a car accident. Are you suggesting that the stated reason for their death on the certificate should have been heart disease rather than accidental death?

Afaik Irish death certificates require the coroner to record the certified cause of death and / or duration of the illness directly responsible .

Someone may be ill - but that might not be what kills them.

I know someone who had a long term heart condition and who sadly died in a car accident. Are you suggesting that the stated reason for their death on the certificate should have been heart disease rather than accidental death?

Afaik Irish death certificates require the coroner to record the certified cause of death and / or duration of the illness directly responsible .

Someone may be ill - but that might not be what kills them.

You are comparing apples and oranges there.

The point is these people were very ill, and covid merely shortened the inevitable.

Of the 4 I know I would say 2 by 6 months, 1 by a year at best and the last one well yes he died because of he caught covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

694 positive swabs, 3.47% positivity on 19,979 tests.
    7 day test positivity is 3.9%.

- Wednesday, March 24th 2021
    #COVID19Ireland

Good positivity rate.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Just a big Thank you both from me and my family . I really hope you both get a break soon .

Cheers! Most of the credit is with her, she's a doctor and very much frontline in A&E. Most of the people we know who've gotten sick are her colleagues, including 1 of the doctors working in the Mater who died). I've been non-frontline and WFH.

That said, she's been fully vaccinated for a while now and I'm gonna be waiting for months yet, so swings and roundabouts... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    694 positive swabs, 3.47% positivity on 19,979 tests.
    7 day test positivity is 3.9%.

- Wednesday, March 24th 2021
    #COVID19Ireland

Good positivity rate.

I was expecting worse numbers. Yeah, it's not great, but there has been a big increase in referrals (up 40% per Paul Reid) and only a modest increase in cases.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement