Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIII-231,484 ROI(4,610 deaths)116,197 NI (2,107 deaths)(23/03)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,288 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I was expecting worse numbers. Yeah, it's not great, but there has been a big increase in referrals (up 40% per Paul Reid) and only a modest increase in cases.
    A big increase in referrals is a concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    694 positive swabs, 3.47% positivity on 19,979 tests.
    7 day test positivity is 3.9%.

- Wednesday, March 24th 2021
    #COVID19Ireland

Good positivity rate.

Very good, 5k more tests than last week resulting in only 21 more positive swabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

You are comparing apples and oranges there.

The point is these people were very ill, and covid merely shortened the inevitable.

Of the 4 I know I would say 2 by 6 months, 1 by a year at best and the last one well yes he died because of he caught covid.

So you agree that they all died when they did because of Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I was expecting worse numbers. Yeah, it's not great, but there has been a big increase in referrals (up 40% per Paul Reid) and only a modest increase in cases.

Can be as big an increase in referrals as they want if it isn't giving out larger number of positives. 5k more tests than this day last week giving just 21 more positives.

Test more find more, root it out

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

#COVID19Ireland

Good positivity rate.

Almost 20,000 tests. I wonder what testing capacity is at now. It was around 25k tests in January.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

#COVID19Ireland

Good positivity rate.

I was expecting worse based on the GP data.
    7 Days average of swabs:
    24/03: 590
    17/03: 543
    10/03: 515
    03/03: 644

• Registered Users Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yesterday had 150 more swabs than cases so could be the guts of 700 cases today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

5k more tests than this day last week giving just 21 more positives

I very much like this stat

Still though, June/July can't come soon enough

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

Tomorrow is an important day I feel. Some of Monday’s referrals may be tested Tuesday. Results got today, which are the numbers reported tomorrow.

Hopefully people heeded the early warning on the 11th and have pulled back a bit. Might stop the increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

You are comparing apples and oranges there.

The point is these people were very ill, and covid merely shortened the inevitable.

Of the 4 I know I would say 2 by 6 months, 1 by a year at best and the last one well yes he died because of he caught covid.

Nope. In the example given- the point is the persons illness didn't kill them .

The person who I referred to would have been deemed " ill" compared to someone without his condition. Yet he died as a result of a car accident and his condition was not indicated in the cause of death in anyway

Did the car accident "merely shorten the inevitable"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭pauldry

One thing I very much dont like is this 5K limit.

Instead of being able to get to the beach for a walk which is 10k away Im sitting at home picking up germs. Why is Ireland the only country in the world that has this? Why dont we do the night curfews like other countries?

Is it coz that Lehane buck on the news who stands outside all time time would be out of a job?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

eagle eye wrote: »
    A big increase in referrals is a concern.

Not it if it doesn't turn into a big increase in cases....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Benimar wrote: »
    Tomorrow is an important day I feel. Some of Monday’s referrals may be tested Tuesday. Results got today, which are the numbers reported tomorrow.

Hopefully people heeded the early warning on the 11th and have pulled back a bit. Might stop the increase.

I would be worried if the positivity rate was increasing but it is staying the same generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Messi19

pauldry wrote: »
    Yesterday had 150 more swabs than cases so could be the guts of 700 cases today.

Wednesday is often bump day

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    I very much like this stat

Still though, June/July can't come soon enough

Is the the amount of tests irrelevant?
    The only number that's is of any consequence is the positive cases?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

If you have symptoms they want you under care from your doctor.

If you don't have a doctor you need to get one.

Not show up at a test centre and self treat.

Makes sense but still think most people will be surprised by that. They will need to publicly explain the thinking behind these pop up centres to get people to go

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

redmgar wrote: »
    Is the the amount of tests irrelevant?

No, the more you test the more you find. So testing lots not only saves lives, but also gives us an idea of the positivity rate, and the more we do that, the more we can be confidant of that rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭TobyHolmes

predictions for 5th April restrictions?

Level 3 county wide lockdown with hospitality opened?

how likely?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

pauldry wrote: »

Could be the guts of 850 today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

redmgar wrote: »

Some would argue the only number that's is of any consequence is the positivity rate

And - in some ways - they'd have a point tbh

But sure, who the fcuk knows at this stage ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

I reckon that some overly cautious hay-fever sufferers are ringing their doc who in turn sends them for a test. That's where the increase in tests and referrals is coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

No, the more you test the more you find. So testing lots not only saves lives, but also gives us an idea of the positivity rate, and the more we do that, the more we can be confidant of that rate.

Fair enough.
    Realistically, the only thing ending restrictions is the vaccine. We are just going to plod on for the next couple of months under levels 4/5 until a mix of the summer and the vaccine brings back normality.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Normal One wrote: »
    I reckon that some overly cautious hay-fever sufferers are ringing their doc who in turn sends them for a test. That's where the increase in tests and referrals is coming from.

The question is that resulting in the detection of near asymptomatic cases that would've been missed?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

TobyHolmes wrote: »

how likely?

Very unlikely.

Makes sense but still think most people will be surprised by that. They eill need to publicly explain the thinking behind these pop up centres to get people to go

Yeah. I'm not sure myself what the goal is for these centres.

People in high risk areas can get a test if they want one and they don't normally qualify for testing.

I'm not sure who they want to use these.

I'd only get it if I felt I was a contact that slipped through the cracks. For example there's I share an office with someone. We are socially distanced enough and have screens not to be contacts but 8 hours a day fairly close to each other and breathing the same air.

If he tests positive I would get a test to check the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

how likely?

Not likely at all.

Level 5 adjusted for Construction, underage sport and movement on the 5km will be it I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'd love to know unique people diagnosed with covid rather than cases. Be interesting to see are people testing positive multiple times cos the PCR test is still picking up old covid in them from months ago. With the mass testing of certain places, someone could be coming back positive multiple times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

how likely?

Level 3 5th April? Zero chance.

I hope for optics they call it level 4 and announced:

- 5km limit gone
    - constructions re-open
    - outdoor sports re-open
    - people can meet outdoors
    - resume click and collect

I think that would be enough to get people motivated that we're making progress and also keep numbers to a manageable level.

Then 5th May you'd consider level 3 with outdoor dining and opening up non-essential retail again.

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Some would argue the only number that's is of any consequence is the positivity rate

And - in some ways - they'd have a point tbh

But sure, who the fcuk knows at this stage ;)

Anyone judging based on positivity rate should have a better positivity rate in mind than the one we get.

If there's 3,000 unprompted tests in these new walk in test centres there might be 1 positive and the national positivity rate would be dragged down.

Our positivty rate is now 0.4% less even though nothing real has changed. Therefore let's open the pubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

how likely?

No idea, but what I would like is for the schools to fully reopen (after Easter break). That would give my child back some semblance of normal life and society.

After that, I'd like open air dining. Mandatory masks in indoor spaces. Retail click and collect. No travel restrictions within Ireland.

Give that a couple more weeks and then kids sports, contact training, but in Pods.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement