Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIII-231,484 ROI(4,610 deaths)116,197 NI (2,107 deaths)(23/03)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

Level 3 5th April? Zero chance.

I hope for optics they call it level 4 and announced:

- 5km limit gone
    - constructions re-open
    - outdoor sports re-open
    - people can meet outdoors
    - resume click and collect

I think that would be enough to get people motivated that we're making progress and also keep numbers to a manageable level.

Then 5th May you'd consider level 3 with outdoor dining and opening up non-essential retail again.

that would make way too much sense.. cafes and retail should be open NOW

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭covidrelease

Benimar wrote: »
    Hopefully people heeded the early warning on the 11th and have pulled back a bit. Might stop the increase.

I hope people gave them the proverbial 2 fingers and went out and enjoyed themselves rather than being mentally beaten into submission with the endless cycle of whinging, moaning and negativity.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

Anyone judging based on positivity rate should have a better positivity rate in mind than the one we get.

If there's 3,000 unprompted tests in these new walk in test centres there might be 1 positive and the national positivity rate would be dragged down.

Our positivty rate is now 0.4% less even though nothing real has changed. Therefore let's open the pubs.

Yes, this is the issue. If todays tests are based on referrals then 3.4% isn't bad in context. However, if there was mass testing of nursing homes accounting for a couple of thousand tests and a handful of cases, the 'real' rate among people being referred is higher.

A split between referrals and serial tests would be nice info to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

If you have symptoms they want you under care from your doctor.

If you don't have a doctor you need to get one.

Not show up at a test centre and self treat.

Could be, just wonder how many will go if they dont have symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

TobyHolmes wrote: »
    predictions for 5th April restrictions?

Level 3 county wide lockdown with hospitality opened?

how likely?

Not a chance in hell. I personally expect Level 4+ (Level 4 with outdoor hospitality closed), and a rolling easing of the restrictions (so maybe 5k limit on the 5th of April, then outdoor gatherings/click and collect a couple of weeks later)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭TobyHolmes

muddypuppy wrote: »
    Not a chance in hell. I personally expect Level 4+ (Level 4 with outdoor hospitality closed), and a rolling easing of the restrictions (so maybe 5k limit on the 5th of April, then outdoor

gatherings/click and collect a couple of weeks later)

when do you think we will have level 3?

No idea, but what I would like is for the schools to fully reopen (after Easter break). That would give my child back some semblance of normal life and society.

After that, I'd like open air dining. Mandatory masks in indoor spaces. Retail click and collect. No travel restrictions within Ireland.

Give that a couple more weeks and then kids sports, contact training, but in Pods.

this country is so frustrating. the politicians cant make proper sensible decisions :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

I think the idea's of strict definitions of levels is gone out the window. You'd be better off wondering about specifics like 'when is retail/sport/not working from home happening. -that's just my2cent

titan18 wrote: »
    I'd love to know unique people diagnosed with covid rather than cases. Be interesting to see are people testing positive multiple times cos the PCR test is still picking up old covid in them from months ago. With the mass testing of certain places, someone could be coming back positive multiple times.

There is a protocol around that

https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/guidance/outbreakmanagementguidance/PCR%20weak%20results%20guidance.pdf
    In general, someone who has had a previous positive test should not be retested within 12
    weeks unless they develop symptoms. This statement encompasses people who are identified as close contacts of COVID-19 cases but who are noted to have tested positive in the previous
    12 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

If I was a betting man, I would say middle/end of May, but that's mostly a gut feeling. If we get another surge it might be later. If vaccinations ramp up and there is a drastic drop in deaths/hospitalizations it might be earlier.
    Some things will probably open earlier than other things, like outdoor dining is probably going to open earlier than gyms.

I also noticed that Level 4 as currently published on the gov website doesn't allow outdoor "social gathering" but allow outdoor "organized gathering" up to 15 people, so I expect that to be changed and to have social gathering of 2 households allowed.

• Advertisement

I think the idea's of strict definitions of levels is gone out the window. You'd be better off wondering about specifics like 'when is retail/sport/not working from home happening. -that's just my2cent

basically when can I check into a hotel and get a break from the same 4 walls thats what i want to know. even if its the hotel across the street.

If I was a betting man, I would say middle/end of May, but that's mostly a gut feeling. If we get another surge it might be later. If vaccinations ramp up and there is a drastic drop in deaths/hospitalizations it might be earlier.
    Some things will probably open earlier than other things, like outdoor dining is probably going to open earlier than gyms.

I also noticed that Level 4 as currently published on the gov website doesn't allow outdoor "social gathering" but allow outdoor "organized gathering" up to 15 people, so I expect that to be changed and to have social gathering of 2 households allowed.

may sounds so far away

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

I

They need to update the current level 1-5 document.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Fair enough. Hopefully they're doing that. Just seems like we'd end up with duplicate positive cases otherwise.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

basically when can I check into a hotel and get a break from the same 4 walls thats what i want to know. even if its the hotel across the street.

Late May or early June when a sufficient amount of the population is vaccinated to drive transmission down or when the population buys into restrictions and actually drives cases down.

titan18 wrote: »
    Fair enough. Hopefully they're doing that. Just seems like we'd end up with duplicate positive cases otherwise.

The old dead virus only really shows up as a 'positive' under an excessive number of cycles which gets retested.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Normal One wrote: »
    I reckon that some overly cautious hay-fever sufferers are ringing their doc who in turn sends them for a test. That's where the increase in tests and referrals is coming from.

Get hay-fever myself but hadnt noticed much pollen yet but could be the start alright

eagle eye wrote: »
    A big increase in referrals is a concern.

I was referred for test Sunday - negative result 25 hours after referral. Pretty much knew it wasn't covid but had some of the symptoms and kids in school so thought it best to get tested rather than send kids in and hope. I also know of multiple people with some covid like symptoms who tested negative recently. There is another virus doing the rounds which is undoubtedly bumping up the referrals.

If you look at the seasonal influenza sentinel testing data you will see that positive rate for adenovirus has gone from 0% in week 8 and 9 to 6.9% in week 10, admittedly off low numbers of tests, but there is definitely something

https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/influenza/seasonalinfluenza/surveillance/influenzasurveillancereports/20202021season/

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

Yeah. I'm not sure myself what the goal is for these centres.

I'd only get it if I felt I was a contact that slipped through the cracks. For example there's I share an office with someone. We are socially distanced enough and have screens not to be contacts but 8 hours a day fairly close to each other and breathing the same air.

If he tests positive I would get a test to check the situation.

This is my exact situation and why I'm going to attend my local walk in testing centre. I was in my office with a colleague on Friday who started feeling ill and has since tested positive, HSE don't consider me a close contact because I wasn't within two meters of him for more than 15 minutes... But we were breathing the same air all day.

I rang my gp to arrange a test for my own peace of mind and was basically told if the HSE don't consider me a close contact and I have no symptoms then they can't help me.

So for situations like these I'm grateful they've arranged the pop up centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Yeah. I'm not sure myself what the goal is for these centres.

People in high risk areas can get a test if they want one and they don't normally qualify for testing.

I'm not sure who they want to use these.

I'd only get it if I felt I was a contact that slipped through the cracks. For example there's I share an office with someone. We are socially distanced enough and have screens not to be contacts but 8 hours a day fairly close to each other and breathing the same air.

If he tests positive I would get a test to check the situation.
    These centres seem like an attempt to scoop up more cases quickly and to try to figure out why these areas remain high. It's a good move IMO and we haven't had a new tool since they started weekly testing in certain sectors. If rapid tests are shown to be up to it, you'd expect them to play a bigger part too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Idjit wrote: »
    This is my exact situation and why I'm going to attend my local walk in testing centre. I was in my office with a colleague on Friday who started feeling ill and has since tested positive, HSE don't consider me a close contact because I wasn't within two meters of him for more than 15 minutes... But we were breathing the same air all day.

I rang my gp to arrange a test for my own peace of mind and was basically told if the HSE don't consider me a close contact and I have no symptoms then they can't help me.

So for situations like these I'm grateful they've arranged the pop up centres.

I'll be getting a test myself in tallaght just to be safe later this week.

But in that circumference of yours I'd have been ringing back saying you now and symptoms no harm in knowing one or the other.

Late May or early June when a sufficient amount of the population is vaccinated to drive transmission down or when the population buys into restrictions and actually drives cases down.

What kind of a ridiculous statement is that?

When there was ~8000 cases a day people responded and yesterday there was just 371 cases.

How do you think that happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Messi19

In relation to the walk in test centres and needing to be 16 or older does that mean parents can't take the kids?

sorry - what has everyone been doing for the past year.

stop blaming the population for bad policy making
    look at US - some of the population are complete ijiots but there the country is over 100 million people vaccinated and people have curvews as opposed to lockdown.
    meanwhile here in ireland - us ijiots cant even go more than 5km and we are being told its becuase you are not behaving
    spare me the catholic pious guilt we are all supposed to have

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

What kind of a ridiculous statement is that?

When there was ~8000 cases a day people responded and yesterday there was just 371 cases.

How do you think that happened?
    Where we stand now is that they are very pleased with that effort but are equally reluctant to agree to relaxing restrictions off these current numbers. At the same time they may well accept that they have no option to agree to changes with compliance falling, hence the ongoing "do a little better" barracking.

sorry - what has everyone been doing for the past year.

stop blaming the population for bad policy making
    look at US - some of the population are complete ijiots but there the country is over 100 million people vaccinated and people have curvews as opposed to lockdown.
    meanwhile here in ireland - us ijiots cant even go more than 5km and we are being told its becuase you are not behaving
    spare me the catholic pious guilt we are all supposed to have

Cases are rising over the last few weeks. If people were buying into the restrictions I would imagine that they wouldnt have stalled.

I know it's hard to buy in for so long but if we dont I can't see there being change.

Mobility and interactions has definitely increased since January. At that time average close contacts for each case was less than 2. As of last Thursday it was just less than 3.

Cases over the last 7 days are up on the previous 7 days.

Cases are rising over the last few weeks. If people were buying into the restrictions I would imagine that they wouldnt have stalled.

I know it's hard to buy in for so long but if we dont I can't see there being change.

Mobility and interactions has definitely increased since January. At that time average close contacts for each case was less than 2. As of last Thursday it was just less than 3.

No reason not to allow an easing 3 weeks ago, construction could have gone back, like the rest of the world, click and collect non essential retail, own county travel etc.

Unfortunately, due to the incompetence of the government and NPHET they failed to accept the effort people made and have gone and pissed everybody off.

If cases are rising its due to incompetence.

reality is this is the best they are going to get from people so they (the government who we have hired to represent our collective interests) have to come up with an option other than keeping us locked up until we are all vaccinated. as at this rate it will be another year. and i guarantee we will have lost half of our minds by then.

reality is this is the best they are going to get from people so they (the government who we have hired to represent our collective interests) have to come up with an option other than keeping us locked up until we are all vaccinated. as at this rate it will be another year. and i guarantee we will have lost half of our minds by then.

Sadly we are dealing with incompetence on a grand scale, with no understanding of human nature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Buys in ? We have bought in for a full year now and waiting for the Government to buy in to their part . So no the public wont buy in for much longer and honestly can anyone blame them ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement