Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIII-231,484 ROI(4,610 deaths)116,197 NI (2,107 deaths)(23/03)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

boardise wrote: »
    The next two weeks will be ...er...highly informative .

The next 9 weeks are actually really crucial

But they've used the line so much it's lost all meaning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Of the 18 mortalaties reported today
    • 6 occurred in March
    • 7 occurred in February
    • 5 occurred in January
    • Median age: N/A
    • Age range: N/A

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

It makes sense when they want to target a very specific area. A 5km catchment area would not make sense in donegal.

Well It makes no sense not to have one Donegal given the numbers and its a deteriorating picture there. Buncrana town is doing bad you could have one there for instance. You could increase the 5km limit to get tested in rural areas of the country, a one size fits all approach doesn't work and why should areas of high infection get left behind if they are more rural?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,248 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Swabs 21 more than last week from 5k more tests and cases under reported last Wednesday by roughly 100 & let's not forget it was a bank holiday.

I thought there was no backlog or delays in testing and results

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Cork2021

100%. Cork has 12% of the population and 2% of cases today. 14 cases out of nearly 600,000 people. We can't be kept in level 5.

50 patients in hospitals (11 in icu) across Munster as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭votecounts

TobyHolmes wrote: »
    they tried it and it was a holy show
    Dublin has the biggest population so its expected and airports!
    Donegal a mystery - but close to northern ireland
    Kildare - commuters to Dublin
    NI deaths and cases have been coming down significantly since the vaccine rollout so I wouldn't be blaming them. Really should have a walk in vaccine centre in Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Cork2021 wrote: »
    It’s 5 counties driving the numbers! Munster as whole had 76 cases from a population of 1.28m people!!

That's ludicrous if you think about it.
    Time to open up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Knine wrote: »
    What about those that can't be vaccinated? The under 18s with serious health issues?

I guess they need to keep doing what they're doing now until they can get a vaccine, hopefully vaccines will be approved for all ages over the next few months.

This might sound bad or unfair but doesn't it make more sense that this very small minority of people keep themselves under harsh restrictions to keep safe rather than keeping the whole country under harsh restrictions to keep this small minority safe?

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Messi19

Not nice.

But would ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Normal One wrote: »
    Old misery guys George Lee reporting of significant clusters in the traveling community. Close the halting sites!!!

He also reported that the spread in peoples homes is 33% . Well I guess that would be because we live at home and the vast majority don’t have a self contained west wing to isolate in
    Sometimes I wonder what people are even thinking . We are ordinary people living in ordinary houses with many sharing a bathroom and no spare rooms or separate kitchens etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

TheDoctor wrote: »
    EVERYONE PANIC

Why?

Apologies couldnt help myself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Arturo Delgado

Sometime the government is going to have to bite the bullet and reopen. About 4000 cases a week still, but no longer overwhelming the health service. So the weakest and elderly are getting vaccinated and the strong are catching it but shrugging it off without hospital attention. Time to end this madness and get open again. Keep the airports shut for now. Everything else, let's go.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Arturo Delgado

Normal One wrote: »
    Old misery guys George Lee reporting of significant clusters in the traveling community. Close the halting sites!!!

RTE are shameless about promoting bad news. There is obviously a directive to do so. Ignore it. You'll feel a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Last 7 days compared to the previous 7 days.

311 more cases
    332 more positive swabs
    5935 more tests carried out
    7 fewer reported deaths
    16 fewer in hospital
    7 fewer in ICU

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

Cork2021 wrote: »
    It’s 5 counties driving the numbers! Munster as whole had 76 cases from a population of 1.28m people!!

I recall some talk early on of blood type A being more susceptible to the virus but had assumed it was debunked at this stage.

Surely the prevalence of this blood type in the Pale region of Ireland wouldn't account for the higher numbers even if true.....

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

Looks like France is going onto the UK's hotel quarantine list. So I would imagine that it will be added to Ireland's as well

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/24/france-should-be-added-to-uk-covid-travel-red-list-says-labour

I think adding an EU country to the list is a can of worms that the government doesn't want to open, due to the free travel between members and all of that. We'll see.

muddypuppy wrote: »
    I think adding an EU country to the list is a can of worms that the government doesn't want to open, due to the free travel between members and all of that. We'll see.

Austria are on the list I thought.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

RTE are shameless about promoting bad news. There is obviously a directive to do so. Ignore it. You'll feel a lot better.

And Fergal Scours with his notepad.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

muddypuppy wrote: »

Austria are already on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭muddypuppy

Austria are on the list I thought.
    Austria are already on it.

My bad, I completely missed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is that why Dublin and Offaly are high?

In offaly theyre probably a contributor and possibly meat facttories. A few schools and a childcare place and doing their best to keep offaly figures bad

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    He also reported that the spread in peoples homes is 33% . Well I guess that would be because we live at home and the vast majority don’t have a self contained west wing to isolate in
    Sometimes I wonder what people are even thinking . We are ordinary people living in ordinary houses with many sharing a bathroom and no spare rooms or separate kitchens etc.

So much sense in one post.

But as usual common sense is not that common.

George will be in his element not that he may have bad news to impart for the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

A significant increase in clusters in the travelling community according to RTE news.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭aziz

ElTel wrote: »
    I recall some talk early on of blood type A being more susceptible to the virus but had assumed it was debunked at this stage.

Surely the prevalence of this blood type in the Pale region of Ireland wouldn't account for the higher numbers even if true.....

There must be a cohort of people that have immunity to COVID,you hear stories of one or two people in a household contracting the virus but others in the house not getting it.

Even my wife caught it but myself and my two daughters didn’t and my house is tiny so isolating was impossible.
    Her two sisters and brother caught it but none of their spouses did.

So it would be interesting to find out what is happening there

ElTel wrote: »

Re blood type ...last time I looked pre xmas research narrowed in on 3 genes which have a partial link coded to blood types somewhere included on them in possible relation to some of the severer cases. Hope that makes sense problems editing grammar here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I reckon we're going to see a big drop off along border countries in the next few weeks as many there who work in the North or who have family there will have legitimate access to NI vaccines.

The rest of us unfortunately not.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0324/1205829-coronavirus-ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

gozunda wrote: »
    I reckon we're going to see a big drop off along border countries in the next few weeks as many there who work in the North or who have family there will have legitimate access to NI vaccines.

The rest of us unfortunately not.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0324/1205829-coronavirus-ireland/

As someone living on the border all my life I can tell you that those people would be a extremely small percentage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Always_Running

frank8211 wrote: »
    In offaly theyre probably a contributor and possibly meat facttories. A few schools and a childcare place and doing their best to keep offaly figures bad

Decent size travelling community living in Offaly also.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭AUDI20

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    A significant increase in clusters in the travelling community according to RTE news.

No stereotyping generalisations please

• Advertisement

aziz wrote: »
    There must be a cohort of people that have immunity to COVID,you hear stories of one or two people in a household contracting the virus but others in the house not getting it.

Even my wife caught it but myself and my two daughters didn’t and my house is tiny so isolating was impossible.
    Her two sisters and brother caught it but none of their spouses did.

So it would be interesting to find out what is happening there

I agree nursing home I know 14 hcw staff cases...zero residents all tested negative twice.. hint to someone out there...research paper needed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement