Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIII-231,484 ROI(4,610 deaths)116,197 NI (2,107 deaths)(23/03)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Get back to us when everybody in the west has been vaccinated

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Yea Ghana became the first country in Africa, but many others wont' get the vaccine till much later in the year...

https://www.bbc.com/news/56100076

The west buying up more Vaccines than they need, while the poor suffer... it never ends, whether it's food or medical who cares about Africa, as long as the West can get on with their lives eh?
    I'm sure the "west" will be donating unneeded surplus.

I'm also sure that if the "West" didn't buy up the vaccine the production capacity we have now for vaccine wouldn't be there. Instead there would be less vaccine in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Psychedelic Hedgehog

The units sole purpose was to spin on behalf of the then FG government, propaganda is not beneficial to wider society.

I don't know, and I'm no fan of FG, but communications from the government in place seemed a lot clearer this time last year than they do now. Perhaps it was money well spent in order to ensure a clear message was disseminated, that we're now missing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Yea Ghana became the first country in Africa, but many others wont' get the vaccine till much later in the year...

https://www.bbc.com/news/56100076

The west buying up more Vaccines than they need, while the poor suffer... it never ends, whether it's food or medical who cares about Africa, as long as the West can get on with their lives eh?

The EU is contributing 1 billion to Covax for the purchase of vaccines for poorer nations, not sure what you are at but you don't seem willing to do some research before making a ridiculous claim. I've already shown your first claim was wrong.
    https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_21_690

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

I'm sure the "west" will be donating unneeded surplus.

I'm also sure that if the "West" didn't buy up the vaccine the production capacity we have now for vaccine wouldn't be there. Instead there would be less vaccine in the world.

Do you not think its moral and ethical wrong that young fit and healthy people in the West get vaccines while the sick and vulnerable who are most likely sick and vulnerable due to failures of man kind over decades have to wait?

Your hoping that they donate them, but they haven't come out and said that they will - why is that? Why not pledge the vaccines now - is it maybe a case that they order more just to wait and see if they will nearly years boosters of the jab. And if that turns out to be the case, what then for African countries? is it again sure, that we don't care?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Love this. Both parties are completely deplorable but Fine Gaels more modern snakes have a better sense for optics.

Martin has all the respect of a substitute teacher.

I don't know, and I'm no fan of FG, but communications from the government in place seemed a lot clearer this time last year than they do now. Perhaps it was money well spent in order to ensure a clear message was disseminated, that we're now missing.

You had a single party government last year, less idiots willing to blurt out BS whenever in the presence of a microphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Awful news today with a 16 year old that died of covid. Puts things into perspective for anyone getting fed up with the restrictions.

Great news today about these known variants not significantly impacting vaccines.

Hey! do you have a passport? might not be a bad idea to get out of the house when this is all done and see a bit of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

nocoverart wrote: »
    Great news today about these known variants not significantly impacting vaccines.

Hey! do you have a passport? might not be a bad idea to get out of the house when this is all done and see a bit of the world.

That poster has been like readers digest for the worst possible covid news since the very start of the pandemic. Completely disingenuous.

nocoverart wrote: »

The Israeli research on 'Long Covid' is also good news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

The EU is contributing 1 billion to Covax for the purchase of vaccines for poorer nations, not sure what you are at but you don't seem willing to do some research before making a ridiculous claim. I've already shown your first claim was wrong.
    https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_21_690

I posted my source and it clearly says many countries will have to wait to the end of the year before getting the vaccine. Are you saying that all African countries are rolling out the vaccine at the same rate as Europeans?

Or is it a case that African countries will get the vaccine but will be after their western counterparties?

I posted my source and it clearly says many countries will have to wait to the end of the year before getting the vaccine. Are you saying that all African countries are rolling out the vaccine at the same rate as Europeans?

Or is it a case that African countries will get the vaccine but will be after their western counterparties?

You said most of Europe would be vaccinated before some African countries got any, you were wrong . Time to move on but leave the goalposts where they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

D.Q wrote: »
    That poster has been like readers digest for the worst possible covid news since the very start of the pandemic. Completely disingenuous.

It’s just pure emotional manipulation posting things like that. It puts covid on a pedestal and perpetuates the notion that deaths from other causes aren’t as important.

All deaths are sad, and no group on either side of this debate should have a monopoly on pain and suffering.
    The whole reason this debate is even happening in the first place is because people are finally starting to see there is no balance of interests as far as the government response is concerned, and that non covid deaths and issues are being treated as irrelevant background noise not worthy of any consideration.

Covid has been prioritised over every single other health, social, economic, educational, and mental health issue over the last year. It has been prioritised at all costs to the detriment of pretty much every other societal concern.
    We’re barely a week into finally having a proper adult conversation on whether the current response is proportionate, and we have someone using a 16yr olds very sad death to try to manipulate people into feeling bad for thinking the length of the current restrictions isn’t warranted.

Either way we’re going to be stuck in lockdown for the first 14 weeks of the year at a minimum, so COVID is without a doubt once again bring prioritised above all else.
    But people should be able to vent here without being guilted until feeling like a granny killer for having legitimate concerns about these rolling lengthy lockdowns, and what they mean for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

SusieBlue wrote: »
    We’re barely a week into finally having a proper adult conversation.

1 year into the pandemic and that's not going to happen now. It didn't happen then it's not going to happen now.

COVID never was the priority above all other matters. The problem is COVID basically cripples every single thing you seem to suggest others are not even considering. It's a bit disappointing that one year in people are still spouting the 'COVID is all they care about' canard.

Because it's actually everything else aside from COVID that they're trying to maintain. If someone in the world could propose a viable alternative I'd be all for it. Sadly, one year in, I've seen nothing. Nada. Zilch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

SusieBlue wrote: »
    It’s just pure emotional manipulation posting things like that. It puts covid on a pedestal and perpetuates the notion that deaths from other causes aren’t as important.

All deaths are sad, and no group on either side of this debate should have a monopoly on pain and suffering.
    The whole reason this debate is even happening in the first place is because people are finally starting to see there is no balance of interests as far as the government response is concerned, and that non covid deaths and issues are being treated as irrelevant background noise not worthy of any consideration.

Covid has been prioritised over every single other health, social, economic, educational, and mental health issue over the last year. It has been prioritised at all costs to the detriment of pretty much every other societal concern.
    We’re barely a week into finally having a proper adult conversation on whether the current response is proportionate, and we have someone using a 16yr olds very sad death to try to manipulate people into feeling bad for thinking the length of the current restrictions isn’t warranted.

Either way we’re going to be stuck in lockdown for the first 14 weeks of the year at a minimum, so COVID is without a doubt once again bring prioritised above all else.
    But people should be able to vent here without being guilted until feeling like a granny killer for having legitimate concerns about these rolling lengthy lockdowns, and what they mean for the future.
    Oh please, you've been using mental health and suicide for months on this forum to try and further your own arguments so you yourself are not above using manipulative posting.

Bit rich for you to be calling others out.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Oh please, you've been using mental health and suicide for months on this forum to try and further your own arguments so you yourself are not above using manipulative posting.

Bit rich for you to be calling others out.

It'd be nice if everyone could just take a step back from the emotional manipulation lines. It's not really going to progress anything.

Can't we all just get angry at the government again? That seemed to be some common ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Awful news today with a 16 year old that died of covid. Puts things into perspective for anyone getting fed up with the restrictions.

People are entitled to be fed up with restrictions, regardless of whether a 16 year old passed away (RIP)

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Golfman64

Wow!!

Truly scary stuff re:ISAG. Surely this is enough to close the conversation on these zero Covid loons.

I notice the story hasn’t been taken up by RTE and the likes yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Tork

Golfman64 wrote: »
    Truly scary stuff re:ISAG. Surely this is enough to close the conversation on these zero Covid loons.

I notice the story hasn’t been taken up by RTE and the likes yet.

Gript.ie looks like a glorified blog to me. And while it's worthwhile for someone to look into these claims, I'm not convinced this lot is a credible news source. It's like a shinier version of The Liberal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Tork wrote: »
    Gript.ie looks like a glorified blog to me. And while it's worthwhile for someone to look into these claims, I'm not convinced this lot is a credible news source. It's like a shinier version of The Liberal.

Gript looks like an agenda driven media outlet but they have the evidence, screenshots and information to boot on ISAG.
    It’s clear they’ve gotten to the opposition parties also as all they blather on about lately is mandatory quarantine despite so many other issues presenting.
    The mainstream media have a number of obvious supporters too - Claire Byrne on radio Tuesday referred to Tomás Ryan’s Prime Time appearance Monday like he’d been speaking gospel. Whereas I observed him attempting to sow further anxiety and doubt in the government’s strategy following Michael’s speech. It’s truly shocking RTÉ plucked a neuroscientist with an extremist agenda to get the first word on this on Monday night.
    Other obvious supporters delivering the ISAG agenda in media to me are Philip Boucher Hayes and Matt Cooper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Hospitals now down to 652 with ICU at 135, unfortunately due to 10 deaths in ICU.

Gript looks like an agenda driven media outlet but they have the evidence, screenshots and information to boot on ISAG.
    It’s clear they’ve gotten to the opposition parties also as all they blather on about lately is mandatory quarantine despite so many other issues presenting.
    The mainstream media have a number of obvious supporters too - Claire Byrne on radio Tuesday referred to Tomás Ryan’s Prime Time appearance Monday like he’d been speaking gospel. Whereas I observed him attempting to sow further anxiety and doubt in the government’s strategy following Michael’s speech. It’s truly shocking RTÉ plucked a neuroscientist with an extremist agenda to get the first word on this on Monday night.
    Other obvious supporters delivering the ISAG agenda in media to me are Philip Boucher Hayes and Matt Cooper.

Just had a look at gript.ie there for the crack, Israel creating a list eh?? what next, NON vaccinated need to wear the star of David!!!
    Sorry if I missed all t his, but is that email from ISAG genuine???

https://gript.ie/revealed-how-zero-covid-activists-deceived-politicians/

https://gript.ie/israel-shares-names-unvaccinated/

I agree that there are too many Zero Covid advocates out there and that we need to hear alternative views. Especially as government policy is falling between two stools and we're getting the worst of both worlds. The problem here is that it's the wrong messenger. How many people have even heard of gript? I hadn't until about 2 weeks ago and only through here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

titan18 wrote: »

It's disappointing but nothing can be done about those situations as it's seen by many as politically sensitive for fear of being called a racist.

The Limerick Covid thread has been a case of walking on exploding eggshells with the above type of topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭fits

Gript is not a reliable news source. It’s a right wing media outlet headed by John McGuirk. I’m sure they’ll be delighted with the impact of their article.

fits wrote: »
    Gript is not a reliable news source. It’s a right wing media outlet headed by John McGuirk. I’m sure they’ll be delighted with the impact of their article.

Has it had any impact outside of online message boards?

I was thinking it was somebody's pet project alright. People rightly have issues with the groupthink of the "mainstream media" but this site is so biased in the other direction, I'm not sure I'd trust it. After reading the About section, I can see why no mainstream journalists are going to want to give them any airtime. If this email is genuine (and I'm not convinced it is), this is a terrible messenger for the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,550 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Gript is mostly agenda driven fantasy.

Whether Gript is a right leaning agenda is irrelevant. They have made serious accusations against named individuals which raises questions about the motivations and behaviour of these individuals. We are already aware of the attempts of some of the prominent members of ISAG to undermine the publics confidence in the vaccination programme. Such behaviour cannot be allowed to go unchallenged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

I posted the original link to this a few days back, and I regret it now reading some of the articles and the general view. I also don’t think there is enough of a smoking gun yet from those emails.

At the same time, what has come from Tomas Ryan, Staines etc in recent days on the variants and vaccines is highly irresponsible, and probably more dangerous than the gript as mainstream media is giving them a platform.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement