Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIII-231,484 ROI(4,610 deaths)116,197 NI (2,107 deaths)(23/03)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Very positive press conference this evening. Very good presentation on vaccine impact and Dr Glynn clarified the comments from the NPHET letter.

Fair enough. You wouldn't be one to sing NPHET's praises for nothing so I'll take your word for it. The new virus chat just really rubs me up the wrong way :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

Gael23 wrote: »
    Vaccines are here, there is a path out of this and light emerging.

To be honest I feel more positive this time because I can see life after this.

I kinda put my focus on the impending vaccines back in October, and it kept me sane.

Not so much now, given how every second day it's stuff about AZ supply issues, some warehouse thing burned down last month iirc, and so on. Even the vaccine rollout has been fraught with fear mongering.

And to be completely honest, I think once someone has reached the level of perhaps clinical depression and anxiety (I've had them in the past so I'm pretty sure that's where I'm at now), all of the "it'll be fine, vaccines are here" stuff isn't gonna fix your mindset when it's still a long aul time away.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

PmMeUrDogs wrote: »
    I've done the right stuff and reached out to my GP (who's as useful as a chocolate tea pot and has refused to see a single patient since the pandemic started, but will happily take your 60 euro for a 2 minute phone call)

I've seen my GP at least twice over the past year. Your experience sounds awful.

Try to find a new GP, they cannot just turn you away like that, and yeah, reaching counselling services has always been terrible in this country, I can't even imagine how bad it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

I kinda put my focus on the impending vaccines back in October, and it kept me sane.

Not so much now, given how every second day it's stuff about AZ supply issues, some warehouse thing burned down last month iirc, and so on. Even the vaccine rollout has been fraught with fear mongering

Stay sane, this thing will be over in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,266 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

How is Offaly so high again, meat plant?

• Advertisement

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I've seen my GP at least twice over the past year. Your experience sounds awful.

Try to find a new GP, they cannot just turn you away like that, and yeah, reaching counselling services has always been terrible in this country, I can't even imagine how bad it is now.

I'm trying to get into a GP next to my job, just waiting til they have free space. :)

Mine's been particularly awful. Had an issue with nerve damage after an operation, she took 60 euro from me for a phone call to tell me she can't see me and to talk to my surgeon.

Another time I had an infection after surgery - she refused to see me, got me to diagnose it over the phone and asked what antibiotics I needed :pac:

Mental health treatment is a disgrace. I went private years and years ago when I needed it, but that's not an option while I'm on reduced hours unfortunately!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Their case numbers are offaly high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Vaccine green cards in Israel getting complicated. They just passed a law to allow health authorities to share personal info with other authorities.
    Under the law the Health Ministry can provide the name, national identification number, phone number and address of any citizen who is entitled to be vaccinated but hasn't yet received a shot to the individual's local government, the national Education Ministry and the Welfare Ministry, if any of those authorities ask for the information.

The Health Ministry has been issuing Israelis who've been inoculated or recovered from COVID-19 with a so-called "Green Pass." Only those who carry the pass can get into the country's recently-reopened hotels, gyms, swimming pools, theaters and concert halls.

Under the new law, anyone eligible to get a Green Pass who opts not to could soon find themselves facing even more restrictions, as they could be outed by the Health Ministry to other authorities as vaccine-resisters.

Gene Simmons approves but do you.

https://twitter.com/genesimmons/status/1365010846183690245?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I said the other day (yesterday? I don't know. can't keep track anymore) that I must start watching these again to keep up to speed.

If this is the kind of guff they're going to be at, I won't be bothering.

It is though for all intents and purposes a new virus. You take any scenario of infection and the characteristics now will be markedly different to how they would have been before.

Martin wasn't even the first. Numerous experts in other countries have used the 'new virus' analogy.

I do think you made a very fair point about how that may impact people's perceptions of the vaccines. Up until I read that I didn't see any issue with the terminlogy. Now I kind of do. I still don't think it's a "guff" use of language though. People need to be aware that March 2020 and March 2021 have two very different types of transmission profiles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Not so much now, given how every second day it's stuff about AZ supply issues, some warehouse thing burned down last month iirc, and so on. Even the vaccine rollout has been fraught with fear mongering.

And to be completely honest, I think once someone has reached the level of perhaps clinical depression and anxiety (I've had them in the past so I'm pretty sure that's where I'm at now), all of the "it'll be fine, vaccines are here" stuff isn't gonna fix your mindset when it's still a long aul time away.

Could I suggest you seek some online counseling? Apologies if I have overstepped the mark. I understand to a degree what you are going through and I understand that platitudes whilst well meaning and said with good intentions are meaningless to you or anyone else who is struggling.
    I will offer one piece of advice be careful where you source your information. It is difficult to find any information which is not bias or pushing an agenda.

• Advertisement

I'm trying to get into a GP next to my job, just waiting til they have free space. :)

Mine's been particularly awful. Had an issue with nerve damage after an operation, she took 60 euro from me for a phone call to tell me she can't see me and to talk to my surgeon.

Another time I had an infection after surgery - she refused to see me, got me to diagnose it over the phone and asked what antibiotics I needed :pac:

Mental health treatment is a disgrace. I went private years and years ago when I needed it, but that's not an option while I'm on reduced hours unfortunately!

I really hope it works out for you. Please mind yourself. This country can be such a kip of a place when it comes to essential support in all kinds of areas. Really terrible :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭fits

I’m more optimistic right now than at any stage over the last year. I travelled to uk at the end of last February and I was in fear of catching this thing all the time. (Luckily I didn’t). All the vaccination news is really good. It will be ok. Hospitality will be booming after this. Just hang in there another while.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Turtwig wrote: »
    It is though for all intents and purposes a new virus. You take any scenario of infection and the characteristics now will be markedly different to how they would have been before.

Martin wasn't even the first. Numerous experts in other countries have used the 'new virus' analogy.

I do think you made a very fair point about how that may impact people's perceptions of the vaccines. Up until I read that I didn't see any issue with the terminlogy. Now I kind of do. I still don't think it's a "guff" use of language though. People need to be aware that March 2020 and March 2021 have two very different types of transmission profiles.

Yeah, I'm probably being harsh with calling it guff. I do tend to post without thinking things through fully (which leads to a fair few embarassing backing down moments :pac:)

I just get frustrated about the potential impact on people's perceptions. As a basic description to get across the idea of what's going on, 'new virus' makes sense. The impact on people's view of the vaccine is definitely a worry though, as is the fact that people already on the brink of despair could be pushed over the edge at the idea of doing this all over again. Even if they're adding caveats like 'but the vaccines still work', that tends to get lost and the 'new virus' part makes it to the headlines (and allows the likes of Staines and McConkey to engage in their usual wild speculation).

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭thebronze14

Gruffalux wrote: »
    I'd prefer not to give birth to them but, yeah, people wearing masks in solo photos is very odd.
    I feel embarrassed for people when they make mistakes like that... That was awful from me!

fits wrote: »
    I’m more optimistic right now than at any stage over the last year. I travelled to uk at the end of last February and I was in fear of catching this thing all the time. (Luckily I didn’t). All the vaccination news is really good. It will be ok. Hospitality will be booming after this. Just hang in there another while.

I'm optimistic too. I can understand why people are so fed up, and really struggling too, it just has gone on so long.

Lock down should never be for months. It's inhumane.

But that's where we landed because of poor decisions in December.

Could I suggest you seek some online counseling? Apologies if I have overstepped the mark. I understand to a degree what you are going through and I understand that platitudes whilst well meaning and said with good intentions are meaningless to you or anyone else who is struggling.
    I will offer one piece of advice be careful where you source your information. It is difficult to find any information which is not bias or pushing an agenda.

You're not overstepping at all, thank you :) I'm looking into that next, I'm not sure if it's feasible considering I've essentially zero privacy where I am, but it's something I'm trying to source in a way that'd work for my own situation.

I'm careful where I get my information. I don't follow the rubbish that people spout on FB thankfully :pac:

Yeah probably. Would be heading for another LOKdown if we weren't all in lockdown.

https://twitter.com/RavelledSleave/status/1364506571112386562?s=20

Bloody meat plants. Would not the government afford sick pay for those exploited workers?

They're throwing money at businesses and paying the payroll. Disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

HSE said nothing iin particular:

The HSE has responded to a Tullamore Tribune query over the startling rise in Covid-19 cases in Offaly over the last two weeks.

A further 22 cases were confirmed in the county on Tuesday evening, bringing the total over the last two-week period to 344 cases. This gives Offaly the highest 14-day incidence rate in the country, standing at 441.2 per 100,000 population, almost double the national average of 240.4.

Responding to the figures and Offaly's precarious position with the virus, Dr. Una Fallon, Director of Public Health HSE, Midlands, said: "While Offaly currently has the highest rate of COVID in comparison to other counties, there is no reason to be alarmed.

"Offaly is not a densely populated county so a small rise in the actual number of COVID cases, looks like a significant rise in COVID rates.

"Cases are occurring in a wide range of settings such as workplaces, residential care facilities etc, all of which we are familiar with. No one setting explains the current numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Bloody meat plants. Would not the government afford sick pay for those exploited workers?

They're throwing money at businesses and paying the payroll. Disgrace.

Do they not have Covid Illness benefit of 350 a week for this very purpose? Sick pay while you are isolating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭ypres5

D.Q wrote: »
    Seems genuinely sinister. Would be grand if they were just fringe loons but they're given such a platform by the media its quite concerning

they're such a permanent fixture on the claire byrne show they're on the verge of being furniture. the press are running a campaign of hysteria at this point

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Do they not have Covid Illness benefit of 350 a week for this very purpose? Sick pay while you are isolating.

Sick pay is at the company's discretion I had thought, including isolating? Please prove me wrong, because it's awful if true.

Does anyone here know?

This is looking like another car crash. Looks like we were a bit too late with the mandatory quarantine.
    Greg Ennis, Siptu’s manufacturing division organiser, said between 60 per cent and 70 per cent of meat plant workers were migrants, with a “significant number” of those being from Brazil and South Africa.
    “We know that workers tend to save up their leave during the year and travel home to Brazil, for example, at Christmas. It’s quite common, and that happened this year,” Mr Ennis said.

https://twitter.com/IrishTimes/status/1363543012702261248?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

Yeah probably. Would be heading for another LOKdown if we weren't all in lockdown.

https://twitter.com/RavelledSleave/status/1364506571112386562?s=20

Offaly also has this place.....
    Significant Covid-19 outbreak confirmed at Offaly workplace

A significant outbreak of Covid-19 cases has been confirmed at the Nelipak Healthcare Packaging plant in Clara.

It's understood up to 20 members of staff at the plant have tested positive in the last two weeks, with other cases confirmed among close contacts of workers.

This news comes as Offaly has the highest 14-day incidence rate of the virus in the country with cases clustered in the Tullamore Municipal District, which takes in the town of Clara, according to Department of Health data.

This is looking like another car crash. Looks like we were a bit too late with the mandatory quarantine.

https://twitter.com/IrishTimes/status/1363543012702261248?s=20

Shocking news :/

Do you know CE if people in isolation in meat plants get sick pay from the government?

Sick pay is at the company's discretion I had thought, including isolating? Please prove me wrong, because it's awful if true.

Does anyone here know?

Shocking news :/

Do you know CE if people in isolation in meat plants get sick pay from the government?

I think they do but again they are effectively incentivised to carry on. I've no idea what's going on but if we see large numbers of Brazil variant and or meat plant closures then it won't be long in spreading to rest of community just like in August last year.
    Sick pay
    Mr Ennis said that unless statutory occupational sick pay was introduced sooner rather than later, outbreaks in meat plants would continue and variants could spread.

The workers who are earning €500 a week or less, if they have symptoms of Covid or they’re confirmed with Covid then they’re on a €350 per week payment. That’s €150 less than they would get compared to if they were working, which is a huge amount of money. It’s almost a third of their income [that] would disappear.

“We would know anecdotally of workers who have symptoms who go to work because they can’t afford not to. It’s the difference between putting food on the table or not.”

We should only be letting vaccinated people into the country.

The average salary in Brazil is about €7500 a year. Does anyone genuinely think a Brazilian "student" with a negative PCR test and a year to make as much money as he can in Ireland to take home is going to spend 2 of those 52 weeks in quarantine?

In that two weeks, at minimum wage, they would make €800, almost a third again of what they would expect to make at home in a month.

If they're paying €100 a week (to live in a room with three other people), that's a thousand euro down, right away. One in about every twenty euro they'd be expecting to make here. You can't blame these people. Their exploitation and misery here sets their family up for life at home. But you can stop them.

b0nk1e wrote: »
    We should only be letting vaccinated people into the country.

The average salary in Brazil is about €7500 a year. Does anyone genuinely think a Brazilian "student" with a negative PCR test and a year to make as much money as he can in Ireland to take home is going to spend 2 of those 52 weeks in quarantine?

In that two weeks, at minimum wage, they would make €800, almost a third again of what they would expect to make at home in a month.

If they're paying €100 a week (to live in a room with three other people), that's a thousand euro down, right away. One in about every twenty euro they'd be expecting to make here. You can't blame these people. Their exploitation and misery here sets their family up for life at home. But you can stop them.

Stop them from doing what?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,261 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Arghus wrote: »
    Good briefing. Ronan Glynn was very good - matter of fact, but not dogmatic.

That journo from the Independent is a pain the arse though. Every time she's there she's passive aggressively looking for a "gotcha" moment. Her repetitive questions about why they couldn't provide a precise date for herd immunity were infuriating.

Unintentional comedy gold from George Lee at the end - butting in when they were about to head off and asking more panicked versions of the exact same questions another journalist had asked earlier.

Was thinking the exact same about the journalist from the independent. Some of the questions were just silly and when Glynn basically couldn't answer she reworded it and tried again. The tipping point was can you give a time for herd immunity, looking for fine details. How they deal with that sort of journalist is beyond me, some amount of patience

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

By the sounds of things the govt will wait until herd immunity to fully ease restrictions which could be November/december

Surely the country has to return to normal before then especially if the rates per 100,000 continue to drop

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement