Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIII-231,484 ROI(4,610 deaths)116,197 NI (2,107 deaths)(23/03)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Was thinking the exact same about the journalist from the independent. Some of the questions were just silly and when Glynn basically couldn't answer she reworded it and tried again. The tipping point was can you give a time for herd immunity, looking for fine details. How they deal with that sort of journalist is beyond me, some amount of patience

Yeah exactly. Herd immunity is such a dynamic concept, but give me a date, etc.

They have to be so careful with each word they say, because you know what gutter journalists do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Was thinking the exact same about the journalist from the independent. Some of the questions were just silly and when Glynn basically couldn't answer she reworded it and tried again. The tipping point was can you give a time for herd immunity, looking for fine details. How they deal with that sort of journalist is beyond me, some amount of patience

I missed the briefing. You mentioned they clarified the comments in the letter?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,261 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

D.Q wrote: »
    I missed the briefing. You mentioned they clarified the comments in the letter?

Yeah Glynn basically said the data on vaccine impact is new, they wouldn't have had it when the letter was written. Beginning to see the impact here now as well & that he was optimistic going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

PmMeUrDogs wrote: »
    Anyone else just feeling very bloody bleak about it all? I was okay for previous lockdowns but I'm struggling badly with this one.

I've done the right stuff and reached out to my GP (who's as useful as a chocolate tea pot and has refused to see a single patient since the pandemic started, but will happily take your 60 euro for a 2 minute phone call), been told I could be waiting over a year for counselling because of waiting lists, can't currently afford private treatment thanks to my hours being massively cut because I work hospitality.

Not able to go for a walk with a friend because the relative I live with is so terrified from RTE headlines that I'll be kicked out, I'm already questioned about where I am if I take five minutes extra to get food shopping - and I'm their caregiver so moving out at the moment isn't an option.

So there's feck all else really I can do. A person close to me is so fecked they've been sectioned. A few took their own lives over the past year.

I've had many, many relatives with covid (because they work in hospitals, it was inevitable), the I've had one die from covid, but fcuk me, the impact upon the mental health of my friends, family and I is much, much worse than the impact of covid itself from what I've seen.

People killed themselves before covid as well. You can't blame every suicide on covid. I see people who are blaming every suicide on covid just because they are completely against any type of restrictions and pushing mental health and they'll be back telling people to man up after this is over.

I knew someone who killed themselves a couple of months ago, people immediately were posting on Facebook blaming covid for it without knowing a clue about what happened. I have since seen his sister and she said he lost everything with a gambling problem and his marriage failed as result but sure people will still say it was covid to suit their agenda. No doubt people have taken their lives due to current situation but not everything is because of covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Her questions are cringeworthy..trying to get a headline out of it is right .

He handled it very well .

Very good briefing with a lot of positivity , and good quality information .

Edit to say , I think George Lee may have missed the earlier discussion on the variants as he was on Six One as well , so maybe that explains his late arrival to the party .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Yeah Glynn basically said the data on vaccine impact is new, they wouldn't have had it when the letter was written. Beginning to see the impact here now as well & that he was optimistic going forward.

Cheers. Glad to see that. Some of the phrases from that letter had me in a bit of a negative spin earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,360 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

gladdens my soul

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Goldengirl wrote: »

Glynn has conducted himself very well though out this.Likeable, professional and honest. I think most people trust him which can't be said for many

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

She's a regular in there over the last few months and she's always asking leading or unanswerable questions. It feels deliberate - looking for that juicy quote or a contradictory word. And her tone is always passive aggressive and vaguely snotty.

Her line of questioning was unreasonable earlier and yet she kept at it and at it. Glynn showed incredible patience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Martin was the first I heard refer to a new virus, followed by that clown Ryan.

If it’s a new virus it would be Covid 21, don’t hear that being mentioned anywhere!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭celt262

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    If it’s a new virus it would be Covid 21, don’t hear that being mentioned anywhere!

Have we skipped Covid 20?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    People killed themselves before covid as well. You can't blame every suicide on covid. I see people who are blaming every suicide on covid just because they are completely against any type of restrictions and pushing mental health and they'll be back telling people to man up after this is over.

I knew someone who killed themselves a couple of months ago, people immediately were posting on Facebook blaming covid for it without knowing a clue about what happened. I have since seen his sister and she said he lost everything with a gambling problem and his marriage failed as result but sure people will still say it was covid to suit their agenda. No doubt people have taken their lives due to current situation but not everything is because of covid.

On a wider point this stuff this really grinds my gears. There's guidelines to follow when talking about and reporting on suicide. Yet in social media many inconsiderate assholes are sharing stuff about suicides, justifying the fcking thing with covid and sharing way too much details. This is a complete no no.

Please if you're reading this don't do it. Mental Health issues when discussed badly or portrayed in a media, including literature, without due consideration leads to a growth in clusters of that health issue. Infamous examples being 13 Reasons Why.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Rezident

It's too late for a lockdown like this, it should have happened a year ago before the virus got in to Ireland and infected so many people. About a third of people are ignoring this too-little-too-late lockdown, it's human nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

celt262 wrote: »
    Have we skipped Covid 20?

Well looky-here. We got someone who's forgotten how the number is arrived at. Quick, lets all pile on before they realise their mistake and edit the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

Sick of hearing about variants, the UK variant was first found in September. Does any other country go on about them like Ireland? Its the most obvious scare tactic so far.

wadacrack wrote: »
    Glynn has conducted himself very well though out this.Likeable, professional and honest. I think most people trust him which can't be said for many

Yes, he has it under control and has more confidence now than say , last Autumn .

It is a major part of their job now , where it was not really ever before , speaking to the nation, a few nights a week , and ensuring that the right message is taken and disseminated by the press , and not sensationalist headlines .

I suppose like anything else , they have learned from experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,979 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Yeah, I'm probably being harsh with calling it guff. I do tend to post without thinking things through fully (which leads to a fair few embarassing backing down moments :pac:)

I just get frustrated about the potential impact on people's perceptions. As a basic description to get across the idea of what's going on, 'new virus' makes sense. The impact on people's view of the vaccine is definitely a worry though, as is the fact that people already on the brink of despair could be pushed over the edge at the idea of doing this all over again. Even if they're adding caveats like 'but the vaccines still work', that tends to get lost and the 'new virus' part makes it to the headlines (and allows the likes of Staines and McConkey to engage in their usual wild speculation).

You are absolutely right to be annoyed though. Words have meaning and those in positions of authority need to be extremely careful with the words they use in situations like this. It is not a "new virus", it's still COVID, just a slightly different strain. More importantly, the vaccine still works against it. My own elderly relative was on the phone asking had I heard about the new virus. This shows how irresponsible it is to be using such terms. A lot of people are still bloody terrified by this thing and it's not helping them one iota.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

SnuggyBear wrote: »
    Sick of hearing about variants, the UK variant was first found in September. Does any other country go on about them like Ireland? Its the most obvious scare tactic so far.

Every country seems to be highlighting the uncertainty of the new variants. Watch some European news channels and you'll see we're no better or worse than most others with regards to coverage of this.

Yes. I think most of the national public health briefings probably do discuss the "variants of concern , " not all variants.
    Scottish , English , Anerican , Australian , to mention just a few.
    What country were you thinking of that wouldn't be discussing them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,261 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Goldengirl wrote: »

Edit to say , I think George Lee may have missed the earlier discussion on the variants as he was on Six One as well , so maybe that explains his late arrival to the party .

Personally think Glynn is an excellent communicator. He seems much more comfortable than Holohan when faced with journalists such as the few mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Poll by the Irish times. Staines Ryan and co are now bricking it!!!

https://twitter.com/irishtimes/status/1365040287077326852?s=21

Cork2021 wrote: »

"Just 15 per cent of respondents favour an immediate reopening of “all non-essential retail and services” while only 6 per cent favour the reopening of pubs and restaurants. There is majority support for retail to be reopened before the summer, with 55 per cent in favour, but the desire for pubs and restaurants to reopen is much weaker, with just 33 per cent saying they should open their doors before the summer."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,655 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

It is a relevant piece of data in the analysis of the situation. What do you expect them to do, pretend that nothing has changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    "Just 15 per cent of respondents favour an immediate reopening of “all non-essential retail and services” while only 6 per cent favour the reopening of pubs and restaurants. There is majority support for retail to be reopened before the summer, with 55 per cent in favour, but the desire for pubs and restaurants to reopen is much weaker, with just 33 per cent saying they should open their doors before the summer."

Didn’t mention pubs but yeah I couldn’t see it happening in April or May anyway but after that then who knows! The most interesting poll is the that zero covid isn’t what the people want! So they should all just f off

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 Dubit11

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Every country seems to be highlighting the uncertainty of the new variants. Watch some European news channels and you'll see we're no better or worse than most others with regards to coverage of this.

But but RTE something something....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

This is a good article. Good balance in it. Caution still required but optimism also.

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a35614976/covid-19-vaccines-good-news-variants/

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

So are NPHET and Government going to use these surveys or will they be binned

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Summer2020

Cork2021 wrote: »

“The poll also shows that the zero-Covid approach is not endorsed by a large majority of respondents, who say they want things to get back to normal once the elderly and vulnerable have been vaccinated.“

Delighted to hear it. Despite rte’s best efforts in pushing these zealots on us day in day out.

Encouraging news from that poll that 80% would take the vaccine tomorrow. 14% said no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Slide1.jpg
    Slide2.jpg
    Slide3.jpg
    Slide4.jpg
    Slide5.jpg
    Slide6.jpg
    Slide7.jpg
    Slide8.jpg
    Slide9.jpg
    Slide10.jpg