Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXXIII-231,484 ROI(4,610 deaths)116,197 NI (2,107 deaths)(23/03)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭timmyntc

OwenM wrote: »
    Over 65's and vulnerable would be my take, about 1 million.

800,000 is a lot less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

In Poland, 15,250 new cases were reported on Thursday, the highest since the previous peak in November, up 26% from the number of new cases reported seven days ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭Probes

timmyntc wrote: »
    We don't need 1.8m done to start opening up.
    All we need are over 75s and those with medical conditions that leave them vulnerable.

Not sure that’s true, look how long it’s taking Israel to curb infections, hospitalisation and deaths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,358 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

img

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

552 swabs out of 14244 - 3.88%

Looking good. 7-day down to 4.15%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

This is pretty disappointing and will only prolong the restrictions. I feel the people that are adhering to the restrictions are "subsidizing" people like those below and keeping the overall numbers quite low. Some people are only doing the minimum essentials outside their homes, others are going on foreign holidays and having big street parties.

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/614533/number-of-covid-19-cases-linked-to-limerick-student-outbreak-approaches-300.html
    THERE are now almost 300 cases of Covid-19 linked to Limerick’s student outbreak, it’s been revealed.

Information released to the Limerick Leader from Public Health Mid-West this lunchtime shows that as of today, there are 279 confirmed cases associated with this.

Separately, Public Health Mid-West has said it’s “disappointed” with what it has described as a “serious breach” of Covid-19 guidelines – but acknowledged it represented “a minority of the local student population.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

460 confirmed cases in hospital of that number 107 are in ICU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

This is pretty disappointing and will only prolong the restrictions. I feel the people that are adhering to the restrictions are "subsidizing" people like those below and keeping the overall numbers quite low. Some people are only doing the minimum essentials outside their homes, others are going on foreign holidays and having big street parties.

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/614533/number-of-covid-19-cases-linked-to-limerick-student-outbreak-approaches-300.html

So around 1 percent of Limerick’s third level population. Talk about blowing things out of proportion.

460 confirmed cases in hospital of that number 107 are in ICU.
    We could see 100 broken very soon in ICU. It will be nice to see it back in 2 digits again.

So around 1 percent of Limerick’s third level population. Talk about blowing things out of proportion.

Not having a swipe solely at students but it's still a needless number of cases all the same surely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Bit more context to the cases, encouraging week. Hopefully more good news on vaccines nxt week. J & J and maybe Sputnik might be approved in the EU

https://twitter.com/andrewflood/status/1367511320556355584

Got to blame someone. Foreign travel has been dealt with ( although RA opening routes from Belfast should be fun) so back to blaming the young.
    Someone earlier was blaming a rise in cases due to the schools being back, opened with limited numbers on Monday just past. People would want to cop on to themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Probes wrote: »
    Not sure that’s true, look how long it’s taking Israel to curb infections, hospitalisation and deaths.

3 months and we are starting from a much lower base. 2 months from now things will look far better than they are now and right now we are seeing a rapid improvement in the hospital numbers

ICU seems to be dropping faster than I expected, and it's not down to deaths. I wonder is the low # of ICU admissions a reflection of the at-risk cohorts having been vaccinated?

seamus wrote: »
    ICU seems to be dropping faster than I expected, and it's not down to deaths. I wonder is the low # of ICU admissions a reflection of the at-risk cohorts having been vaccinated?

By and large the over 85's weren't ending up in ICU though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

Not having a swipe solely at students but it's still a needless number of cases all the same surely?

It would be great if no one got it we wouldn’t be in this situation.

A huge number of students make up retail and hospital staff.

Why are you shaming them for getting covid?

Got to blame someone. Foreign travel has been dealt with ( although RA opening routes from Belfast should be fun) so back to blaming the young.
    Someone earlier was blaming a rise in cases due to the schools being back, opened with limited numbers on Monday just past. People would want to cop on to themselves.

I was only using that as a single example, didn't realise making people accountable for their actions would be so sensitive a topic.

Me, students etc. we'll all adults and should be held to account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

I think you meant, "Who care about improving test and trace"?

3 months ago from today was the 4th of December.

Think about everything that has happened in those 3 months.

3 months from now is the 4th of June. By then we might have 50% fully vaccinated.

So think about what can still happen in the next 3 months. Our response to this needs to remain as robust as it has been, if not moreso.

That's a good point. And who'd have thought the 3 weeks of hospitality and a "meaningful' Christmas would have resulted in so many deaths & job loses and potentially 6 months under restrictions? Whoever did think that at the time were dismissed as quacks and idiots.

But yeah a lot to be positive in coming three months if our vaccine delivery schedule is ever met.

https://twitter.com/RTENewsAtOne/status/1367462963997782016?s=20

I would suspect HCW being vaccinated has played a large part in driving down numbers. People have gone to hospital as a non Covid patient , contracted the virus and I know of one person who ended up in ICU after contracting it in hospital. He went in with a heart issue. I only learned yesterday this is what happened to a former colleague of mine.

• Advertisement

I was only using that as a single example, didn't realise making people accountable for their actions would be so sensitive a topic.

Me, students etc. we'll all adults and should be held to account.
    Sensitive ? not at all, I haven't seen the same outrage displayed on the media about large gatherings in graveyards or religious gatherings either. Students however are fair game it seems.

Sensitive ? not at all, I haven't seen the same outrage displayed on the media about large gatherings in graveyards or religious gatherings either. Students however are fair game it seems.

I'm with you there, that party in the graveyard was a disgrace. And big crowds at funerals etc is plain ridiculous too. All adults and all should be held accountable just like everyone else.

By and large the over 85's weren't ending up in ICU though
    Indeed, I thought of that as I was typing.

So I dunno. Could it be the HCW? If they're vaccinated, there's less (if zero) cross-infection in hospitals, which will result in ~40% fewer Covid cases in hospital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Probably a knock on effect of two months’ worth of restrictions; less people entering ICU in the last six weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

I would suspect HCW being vaccinated has played a large part in driving down numbers. People have gone to hospital as a non Covid patient , contracted the virus and I know of one person who ended up in ICU after contracting it in hospital. He went in with a heart issue. I only learned yesterday this is what happened to a former colleague of mine.

HCW?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

HCW?

Health Care Worker.

• Advertisement

I'm with you there, that party in the graveyard was a disgrace. And big crowds at funerals etc is plain ridiculous too. All adults and all should be held accountable just like everyone else.

Not picking a row but students have been a target since September 2020. You want to target someone have a go at Harris. Students were told they would be on campus at the start of term. Deposits paid, fees paid etc. Fast forward a few weeks all online. I don't believe for one second that Harris wasn't aware that was going to happen.
    Also many students that are in Uni/college towns at the moment have no choice as internet coverage in much of the country for want of a better word is sh!t.
    My own son is registered with LIT and is in accommodation near the IT but hasn't been on campus since Oct last.
    I'm pretty sick of seeing one group in society getting the blame for what is mainly a fcukup by government and its agencies for what is going on in the country.

BBC reporting that Italy has blocked the export of 250,000 AZ vaccine doses to Australia.
    Considering what Italy went through whilst I don't agree I understand the motivation.

BBC reporting that Italy has blocked the export of 250,000 AZ vaccine doses to Australia.
    Considering what Italy went through whilst I don't agree I understand the motivation.
    AZ not hitting targets in Q1, regularly changing those supply delivers and unlikely to do so in Q2 doesn't win them any friends at all in the EU. They are well within their rights to do this.

is_that_so wrote: »
    AZ not hitting targets in Q1, regularly changing those supply delivers and unlikely to do so in Q2 doesn't win them any friends at all in the EU. They are well within their rights to do this.

As I said I understand, on the plus side I 'm sure the Aussies can wait. Zero Covid is easy for them to implement not so much for a large union of countries with varying policies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

More stories :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

People are grieving at funerals so its more understandable that they may make poor decisions under that stress. Students partying is much different

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Goldengirl wrote: »

There have been many outbreaks in hospitals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Hospital acquired infection is a well known phenomenon wrt covid-19.
    There's plenty of data supporting it even from the HSE.

wadacrack wrote: »
    People are grieving at funerals so its more understandable that they may make poor decisions under that stress. Students partying is much different

Grieving.....oookkk....https://www.independent.ie/news/gardai-called-to-cemetery-as-crowd-gathers-to-celebrate-deceaseds-birthday-with-loud-music-40141924.html
    Interesting the difference in approach. I don't remember the Justice minister or Higher education minister or any minister for that matter offering their outrage and disgust. Fines, essays anyone know?Thumbleweeds..........

Not picking a row but students have been a target since September 2020. You want to target someone have a go at Harris. Students were told they would be on campus at the start of term. Deposits paid, fees paid etc. Fast forward a few weeks all online. I don't believe for one second that Harris wasn't aware that was going to happen.
    Also many students that are in Uni/college towns at the moment have no choice as internet coverage in much of the country for want of a better word is sh!t.
    My own son is registered with LIT and is in accommodation near the IT but hasn't been on campus since Oct last.
    I'm pretty sick of seeing one group in society getting the blame for what is mainly a fcukup by government and its agencies for what is going on in the country.

I agree with this post however!

It was down right disgraceful that so many landlords allowed take a years money from parents /students and not obliged to return it.
    Provision should have been made to either compensate students for this or the landlords, whoever took the hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Could someone explain what this means in more detail?? What does blocking exactly mean? Like product is on a boat and the boats are not allowed leave the country??! Or am I way off?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Could someone explain what this means in more detail?? What does blocking exactly mean? Like product is on a boat and the boats are not allowed leave the country??! Or am I way off?

Products wouldn't have made it on to a boat before clearing customs.

Admissions to ICU have been reducing week on week for the last month and a lot of people have died in ICU among those severely ill. Others less so are now moving to Covid wards. Still a lot of extremely sick people in ICU but thankfully decreasing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Covid isn't the issue in Australia that it is in Europe. Maybe not the worst course of action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

I was only speaking to someone yesterday and they told me that their dad was the same went in for a hip procedure got the virus in hospital and nearly killed him.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Advertisement

timmyntc wrote: »
    Hospital acquired infection is a well known phenomenon wrt covid-19.
    There's plenty of data supporting it even from the HSE.

Yes but the implication is in that post was all HCW infection which is astoundingly stupid.
    As a HCW I will not accept FB like posts and anecdotes that undermine all the good work done in our hospitals.
    Every effort is made to prevent transmission but it was very difficult to prevent when community transmission was so high.
    Anywhere you get breakouts one of the questions people should be asking is could this be prevented by reducing those infected in the first place.
    Impossible in a hospital environment.

A mechanism under which vaccine suppliers would need to gain authorisation for exports out of the EU was drawn up amid concerns that doses made within the bloc were being delivered to the UK.

Ursula von der Leyen, the commission president, had privately assured the 27 EU heads of state and government at a summit last week that exports would be prevented in cases where suppliers were not fulfilling their contractual obligations.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭Shelby Foote

Admissions to ICU have been reducing week on week for the last month and a lot of people have died in ICU among those severely ill. Others less so are now moving to Covid wards. Still a lot of extremely sick people in ICU but thankfully decreasing.

Yes 107 still in ICU. We maxed at 223 in January. So we're still just a little under 50% of a high figure. It's starting to drop more quickly.

If deaths, cases, ICU numbers weren't down to what they are on the 4th March after over 2 months of level 5 it would all be a cod!! Sometimes I don't get the whooping and hollering over lowering figures, it's what you'd naturally expect.

It's a bit like saying the sun rose at 7:07 and will set at 18:14 today. Last week it was 7:24 and 17:56. Hurray!! Followed by 30 thanks.

Yes 107 still in ICU. We maxed at 223 in January. So we're still just a little under 50% of a high figure. It's starting to drop more quickly.

If deaths, cases, ICU numbers weren't down to what they are on the 4th March after over 2 months of level 5 it would all be a cod!! Sometimes I don't get the whooping and hollering over lowering figures, it's what you'd naturally expect.

It's a bit like saying the sub rose at 7:07 and will set at 18:14 today. Last week it was 7:24 and 17:56. Hurray!! Followed by 30 thanks.
    It is what you'd expect but it's also a key metric that will inform government decisions over the next while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

A mechanism under which vaccine suppliers would need to gain authorisation for exports out of the EU was drawn up amid concerns that doses made within the bloc were being delivered to the UK.

Ursula von der Leyen, the commission president, had privately assured the 27 EU heads of state and government at a summit last week that exports would be prevented in cases where suppliers were not fulfilling their contractual obligations.

Not so much vaccine nationalism. more vaccine supranationalism. Much nicer that.

Marty Bird wrote: »
    I was only speaking to someone yesterday and they told me that their dad was the same went in for a hip procedure got the virus in hospital and nearly killed him.

As you are joining in here..... When did he get it, was he swabbed, did he pick it up within the first week or was it after that? Did any of his family get swabbed and were they negative?
    Of course you may not have access to that detail nor are you going to interrogate your grieving friend.
    That is the job of the tracing teams and HSE.
    Yes outbreaks occurred but a good percentage were not from "in hospital" transmission.
    When you or anyone else here has all that information it is perfectly reasonable to discuss.
    But please spare us unvetifiable anecdotal stories, just to stir it up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭Shelby Foote

It is what you'd expect but it's also a key metric that will inform government decisions over the next while.

That's another truism!

Did somebody think government decisions on opening up would be based on anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

What’s the swab data today?

That's another truism!

Did somebody think government decisions on opening up would be based on anything else.
    Yep, that's what we do here, explain to the bewildered what's going on but you're clearly too smart to need it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Hespy

Gael23 wrote: »
    What’s the swab data today?

https://covid19.shanehastings.eu/api/swabs/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement