Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXXIII-231,484 ROI(4,610 deaths)116,197 NI (2,107 deaths)(23/03)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

George lee asked the question. Glynn confirmed that the coroner was investigating. By all means blame RTE for the dead babies while simultaneously denying that there is a deadly virus spreading.

Sounds like a George Lee question alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

The tail in that Pfizer chart suggests maintaining 2 dose no more than 6 weeks apart may be appropriate for that vaccine at least. 2 dose regimes are generally around promoting the response then fixing the response. The greater side effects after taking the second dose suggests this is true. I hope there isn’t a sting in the Pfizer vaccine regimen in the uk once people get closer to 3 months, however for the moment it looks like they have lucked out on this one

Given that it looks like prevents hospitalisation and they are far ahead in the rollout do you think we should change our plan to do something similar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

If covid was causing stillbirth wouldn't we have heard about a load of cases worldwide?

Not only that but there was a study carried out by Imperial College recently in over 4,000 pregnant women and concluded that there was no still birth risk associated with Covid 19.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/215533/covid-19-infection-pregnancy-linked-with-still/

Then we were treated to a 15 minute study of spread of a student party in Galway which produced hundreds of cases.
    A journalist later asked if any deaths had been linked to the outbreak- the answer was of course no and only 1 hospitalisation.

"House party in Galway results in increase in hospitalisations"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Not only that but there was a study carried out by Imperial College recently in over 4,000 pregnant women and concluded that there was no still birth risk associated with Covid 19.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/215533/covid-19-infection-pregnancy-linked-with-still/

Surely Dr Glynn would have access to such a study before he would make such an announcement in response to a question. I thought the questions were presubmitted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Renault 5

Do people who get vaccinated still need to get tested if in close contact.

I remember reading last year that if a healthcare worker got infected, all their close contacts colleagues needed to quarantine for days. Will this still be the case?

Then we were treated to a 15 minute study of spread of a student party in Galway which produced hundreds of cases.
    A journalist later asked if any deaths had been linked to the outbreak- the answer was of course no and only 1 hospitalisation.

RTE alert just now about it, see how one house party led to 400 cases etc.......

*No deaths and only 1 hospitalisation not included

Surely Dr Glynn would have access to such a study before he would make such an announcement in response to a question. I thought the questions were presubmitted.

It’s completely unethical, a premeditated emotional manipulation of pregnant women. Sick.

Glynn isn’t stupid. He knows exactly what he’s doing.

It’s completely unethical, a premeditated emotional manipulation of pregnant women. Sick.

Christ it's under investigation. To say anymore is actually scaremongering.

Even saying that they were scaremongering is in fact scaremongering. Needs to be concluded before saying anything on it........as Dr Glynn said.

• Advertisement

That's a disgusting thing for a doctor to do to expectant women who I suspect are already on edge . These people have no morals whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

TheDoctor wrote: »
    "House party in Galway results in increase in hospitalisations"

(By 1 from 442 cases.)

They all had to write a 2,000 word essay as punishment.

Christ it's under investigation.

Ah that’s ok then. The pregnant women of Ireland will sleep easy tonight then so.

How about waiting until we have an answer before bringing it up?

Ah that’s ok then. The pregnant women of Ireland will sleep easy tonight then so.

How about waiting until we have an answer before bringing it up?

Dr Glynn: "If anyone has concerns they should contact their obstetrician"

Sometimes you don't need to wait for a coroner's report to warn people.

Even if there is a 10% chance it's true it's better to be cautious. Best case scenario it's not related. Worse case scenario you took precaution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

TheDoctor wrote: »
    RTE alert just now about it, see how one house party led to 400 cases etc.......

*No deaths and only 1 hospitalisation not included

The level and death and hospitalisation caused by an outbreak of 400+ cases is down to dumb luck. Surely that level of spread is perfectly newsworthy on its own! For example if that had gotten into a nursing home there could easily have been 20 deaths associated. Same outbreak, very different result.

(By 1 from 442 cases.)

They all had to write a 2,000 word essay as punishment.

Yet the gathering of 200 +Travellers in a cemetery in Rathkeale no mention of fines being imposed or essays for that matter distinct lack of outrage from the usual suspects in government. Seems students are the only target . No discrimination at all , at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

People would be screaming blue murder if NPHET's suspicions were proven to be correct about Covid and pregnancy, and they didn't tell the public at the time.

The level and death and hospitalisation caused by an outbreak of 400+ cases is down to dumb luck. Surely that level of spread is perfectly newsworthy on its own! For example if that had gotten into a nursing home there could easily have been 20 deaths associated. Same outbreak, very different result.

IF ....................

Ah just seemed a lot of effort to tell the story and not finish it.

tigger123 wrote: »
    People would be screaming blue murder if NPHET's suspicions were proven to be correct about Covid and pregnancy, and they didn't tell the public at the time.

There was a study carried out by the Imperial college amongst several thousand women that found no link between Covid and stillbirth. ( There's a link in the comments a few pages back).
    Maybe Nphet have commissioned their own study, I'm surprised they kept the findings quite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Yet the gathering of 200 +Travellers in a cemetery in Rathkeale no mention of fines being imposed or essays for that matter distinct lack of outrage from the usual suspects in government. Seems students are the only target . No discrimination at all , at all.

Don’t remember hearing Simon Harris saying he jumped out of bed in the middle of the night to discuss that situation and suitable punishment

• Advertisement

Don’t remember hearing Simon Harris saying he jumped out of bed in the middle of the night to discuss that situation and suitable punishment
    It's pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

There's a few views on hospital transmissions

1. Hospital transmission is due to hospital **** ups. Jail the doctors and nurses. They are murders.

2. Hospital transmissions happen if there is covid in the community. It sucks but we can't fix this. People are doing their best to limit it but it still happens at an unfortunately high level.

3. Hospital transmissions don't happen. Cases detected in hospital aren't hospital transmissions. Health care workers are angels. Hospitals have a magical shield and you can't get covid there.

Personally I'm a believer in version 2.

Didn't poster StephenJMCD say on here this week that mass testing in a major Irish hospital garnered just 4 positive cases?

I thought Covid in Irish hospitals was under control now. There's some tests I've been putting off, but I can't for too much longer

Golden Girl?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

https://twitter.com/AlArabiya_Eng/status/1367565275751718918
    Imagine a European leader saying this? 'Stop whining' to the families of the 3600 Brazilian covid victims in the last 48 hours. It is a different world down there **** me, to think there's some people who actually think this kind of attitude to COVID is somehow desirable too

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Didn't poster StephenJMCD say on here this week that mass testing in a major Irish hospital garnered just 4 positive cases?

I thought Covid in Irish hospitals was under control now

Golden Girl?

Indeed mass testing last weekend took place in a Dublin hospital and reported 4 cases from 3150 tests

https://twitter.com/DonnellyStephen/status/1365705634352660480?s=19

bb1234567 wrote: »
    to think there's some people who actually think this kind of attitude to COVID is somehow desirable too

Other than the lad referenced in the tweet who else thinks this?

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Imagine a European leader saying this? 'Stop whining' to the families of the 3600 Brazilian covid victims in the last 48 hours. It is a different world down there **** me, to think there's some people who actually think this kind of attitude to COVID is somehow desirable too

Thankfully we don't have direct flights or meat factories.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Nermal

tigger123 wrote: »

NPHET don't have 'suspicions', they have four partial anecdotes.

Using them to frighten the public - in the face of mountains of actual data suggesting pregnant women don't have anything to worry about - is reprehensible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Indeed mass testing last weekend took place in a Dublin hospital and reported 4 cases from 3150 tests

https://twitter.com/DonnellyStephen/status/1365705634352660480?s=19

Thanks for the speedy reply

Is that 3150 tests on patients or patients and staff combined I wonder

Also; with numbers that big I'm going to guess it was the Mater

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

Oh so we like imperial college today? I can’t keep up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Other than the lad referenced in the tweet who else thinks this?

Wasn't referring to boards posters, thankfully don't see those kind of exteme opinions on here much. On twitter you'd see it a bit, people cheering on those kind of remarks from him

• Advertisement

Nermal wrote: »

Using them to frighten the public - in the face of mountains of actual data suggesting pregnant women don't have anything to worry about - is reprehensible.

If you actually listened to it you'd know they said "We've been made aware by various coroners of 4 cases of still birth that may be related to a condition called covid placentitis "

Hardly a fvcking anecdote.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Thanks for the speedy reply

Is that 3150 tests on patients or patients and staff combined I wonder

Also; with numbers that big I'm going to guess it was the Mater

No idea.

Would presume its one of the bigger hospitals alright, I've family working in James's and didn't hear of mass testing so going to assume Vincent's or mater maybe

fits wrote: »
    Oh so we like imperial college today? I can’t keep up.

So a study of 4000 women that finds no link is somehow not to be taken seriously, whereas anecdotal evidence of 4 suspected cases is as suggested by the non hysterical George Lee and calm Dr Glynn is accepted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Nermal wrote: »

Well, it's still covid.. Even in the likely event that it doesn't lead to complications with the pregnancy, they should still be trying to avoid it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,585 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

How the hell are there no close contacts?
    I really believe it is so they can say schools are safe.
    That's the only logical conclusion.
    It's a joke. Believe what you want to believe at this stage.

Let's look at the number of "family outbreaks" sky rocket then blame people who live in a house with kids.

https://twitter.com/GininaTeacup1/status/1367149104497897482?s=20

Just on this.

A case today was discovered and the whole class was sent home and are to be tested.

So as I was saying we don't know the facts of each case and the protocol you say in this article has turned out to be wrong.

They are considering kids and teachers close contacts.

So a study of 4000 women that finds no link is somehow not to be taken seriously, whereas anecdotal evidence of 4 suspected cases is as suggested by the non hysterical George Lee and calm Dr Glynn is accepted?

So I guess logically you are calling various coroners are scaremongers and pregnant women should disregard what Dr Glynn (the acting CMO) is saying?

Just on this.

A case today was discovered and the whole class was sent home and are to be tested.

So as I was saying we don't know the facts of each case and the protocol you say in this article has turned out to be wrong.

Amazing what happens when people figure out the bull****. It's almost as if they reacted to that newspaper article.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Studies only use data and information that's available to them at the time. Just because a single study was done and made a conclusion, does not mean that that conclusion becomes some sort of scientific law; that's not how science or research works.

Glynn said that investigation is being done to determine whether the stillbirths were as a result of Covid infection of the placenta. That's just a factual statement, there's nothing scaremongering (or downplaying) about it.

Ficheall wrote: »
    Well, it's still covid.. Even in the likely event that it doesn't lead to complications with the pregnancy, they should still be trying to avoid it..

'they should still be trying to avoid it' Good advice because I'm sure up till you said it pregnant women didn't know contracting the virus wasn't a good thing.
    Christ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,585 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Amazing what happens when people figure out the bull****. It's almost as if they reacted to that newspaper article.

Have you any evidence the HSE changed their criteria for schools after reading a headline?

Have you any evidence the HSE changed their criteria for schools after reading a headline?

Do you have any they didn't?

Feel free to take up with Irish examiner. They are a reputable newspaper. I don't think they got it wrong. on and on we go

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

You don't seem to understand how science works.

A study finding no-link between something merely means they don't reject the null-hypothesis (of no link). It doesn't become established fact and hasn't been proven to be true.

Amirani wrote: »
    You don't seem to understand how science works.

I understand that when making an announcement it's best to back it up with fact particularly when said announcement can cause undue stress and worry.
    Although I prefer science rather than anecdotal evidence caveated by the words may,suspect, think etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

'they should still be trying to avoid it' Good advice because I'm sure up till you said it pregnant women didn't know contracting the virus wasn't a good thing.
    Christ.
    Didn't see the whole briefing, but judging by the clip, it sounds like Glynn was answering a question about these four stillbirths with potential links. He can't lie, so he's said there are some reports, but so far that's it.

He's very much downplaying it, it's the media who are trying to make it a headline. Someone asked the question precisely because they knew they could make a headline about stillbirths out of the answer.

I understand that when making an announcement it's best to back it up with fact particularly when said announcement can cause undue stress and worry.
    Although I prefer science rather than anecdotal evidence caveated by the words may,suspect, think etc
    Edit
    Thanks for the edit after I replied

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    Did see the whole briefing, but judging by the clip, it sounds like Glynn was answering a question about these four stillbirths with potential links. He can't lie, so he's said there are some reports, but so far that's it.

He's very much downplaying it, it's the media who are trying to make it a headline. Someone asked the question precisely because they knew they could make a headline about stillbirths out of the answer.

Yes colour me surprised that the question came from Lee. Wonder who prompted him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

NPHET basically write the RTE news and these are the stories they want to be published.

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1367551657840685063

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1367541421750841350

Wtf!
    Some of ye should just ..switch off the news and the briefings if you don't want to know !

There have been four mothers who have lost their babies due to infection from a preventable virus.
    Placentitis and amniotic infections can cause miscarriage and still birth from other severe infections .
    As it happens these were caused by Covid , or coincided with maternal Covid infection .
    Why would pregnant women all over the country not want to know this ?

And as for the students in NUIG , it shows how fast this virus can spread, no harm to show it in graphic form .
    Her question about deaths could very well be answered " no deaths yet" as some of those infections seeded into vulnerable people .
    This commentary is beyond ridiculous and beneath you :confused:

Edit
    Thanks for the edit after I replied

I seem to remember you making a big deal of the fact I replied to my own post as some sort of smoking gun that I have multiple accounts..........

Are you talking to yourself? I doubt I'll get 20 likes like you did :(

I thought Covid in Irish hospitals was under control now. There's some tests I've been putting off, but I can't for too much longer

Golden Girl?

That is true .
    As long as you haven't been at any student house or cemetery parties recently ?

Just on this.

Think this time round they are being more cautious because of the prevalence of the more transmissible variant .
    Nolan even talking about " difficulty interpreting data " re cases among younger children.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement