Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXXIII-231,484 ROI(4,610 deaths)116,197 NI (2,107 deaths)(23/03)Read OP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Oranage2 wrote: »
    So it could be over year before everyone is vaccinated? Not good enough
    Over a year? highly unlikely. Two more vaccines being assessed. J and J expected approval end by month's end far more user friendly one jab, already approved in the US.. Spuknik data before the EMA.
    Did you get the Sinovac vaccine, or are foreign nationals down the queue in China?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

No I don't as I don't believe justification exists for many of the present restrictions. Let's leave it there because I have no interest in a back and forth with you.

Grand sure just don't engage when you know you are wrong. The justification for closures is the reduction of social contacts. But you know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

My parents were due to get their first dose this morning but it was cancelled last night because their GP never got the supplies, it's annoying but what can you do...

Grand sure just don't engage when you know you are wrong. The justification for closures is the reduction of social contacts. But you know that.
    You seem to have a desire to tell people what they should know or care about I remember you telling me and others we don't give a f**k about mental health. You called another poster a clown. You have no idea how to conduct a conversation with someone you disagree with so as I said best to leave it there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Over a year? highly unlikely. Two more vaccines being assessed. J and J expected approval end by month's end far more user friendly one jab, already approved in the US.. Spuknik data before the EMA.
    Did you get the Sinovac vaccine, or are foreign nationals down the queue in China?

Well in not anti-vac but I'm in the great position of being able to wait and see so I haven't gotten it yet, and since my wife and I are planning for a baby this year she most likely won't take it until after the birth. But when the time comes I'll most likely splash out and go private for either the British or American one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

timmyntc wrote: »
    Yep. Like fits, once they are vaccinated they no longer care. I'm alright jack

As opposed to yourself who just doesn’t care now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

9 deaths
    522 cases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Well in not anti-vac but I'm in the great position of being able to wait and see so I haven't gotten it yet, and since my wife and I are planning for a baby this year she most likely won't take it until after the birth. But when the time comes I'll most likely splash out and go private for either the British or American one.

What makes you think that there will be private vaccines any time soon ? The whole world need vaccines first . And presumably will need boosters for a time to come

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭SeaMermaid

I find that most of people that want to keep restrictions going are on welfare. Anyone I know who's working or on PUP want the restrictions eased immediately.

Wrong
    To be fair there are some who want restrictions until they are vaccinated, not sure they care after that.

And wrong.

This virus and pandemic scared me and others too. You would have to be one callous pr1ck not to be scared and worried. Not only for myself but for others too. I don't want to see any of my family or friends get sick or suffer and there is potential for that to occur. I don't want to risk a long sickness in any of them. Especially considering this virus could be somewhat preventable by following guidelines and keeping apart.

I was so afraid and I still am somewhat but not as afraid as when this first emerged. I felt most at safe last summer when the daily case numbers were down low because the chances of meeting an infected person expelling infectious viral partials were low. I followed the guidelines but I also enjoyed my summer. I kept my contacts low and I did a little bit of travelling around Ireland and saw some beautiful spots and it was all as safe as possible.

I can't talk for anyone else here on boards but for me, I would like to see the infection rates in communities down low. Listening to NHPET this is the message they are hammering out too. The infection rates need to come down. Seeing infection rates come down will be the best for people to move about with ease without worry of infection.

• Advertisement

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    What makes you think that there will be private vaccines any time soon ? The whole world need vaccines first . And presumably will need boosters for a time to come

By his own admission he lives in China so I expect if he's willing to part with the cash he might get an (counterfeit ) American or British vaccine of his choice when he decides the time is right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I find that most of people that want to keep restrictions going are on welfare. Anyone I know who's working or on PUP want the restrictions eased immediately.

What's the logic there when people on social welfare get €206 per week and PUP gets €350 per week

SeaMermaid wrote: »
    Wrong

And wrong.

Yesterday you were claiming the case numbers were raising due to the schools opening Monday, I linked your comment making this claim earlier today. So I'll pass on reading what you posted if it's all the same to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

7-day average in cases is 564. It was 699 last Friday.

7 day average in reported deaths is 15. It was 27 last Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

That poster was a clown for the utter hyperbolic claim he came out with, "under house arrest", gimmie a break, FFS.

As for "mental health", that has to be the most abused term of the decade.

I dunno. "Wet pubs" "the virus loves..." and "the next two weeks..." could give it a run for it's money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

20% decline, more or less. It will be the end of April before we reach 100 cases/day even if this is maintained. We need to get the vaccination going.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Okay let's move on now, thread cleaned up of the off topic rant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I dunno. "Wet pubs" "the virus loves..." and "the next two weeks..." could give it a run for it's money.

Face nappies is another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Is it me or does seem to be a decent backlog of unreported swabs?

Face nappies is another.

Yeah that's a good shout too in fairness. My post probably was a bit one sided. I'll add the recent addition of "house arrest" too in the interest of balance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Sanjuro wrote: »
    9 deaths
    522 cases

"The Health Protection Surveillance Centre has today been notified of 9 additional deaths related to COVID-19.

4 deaths occurred in March,
    3 occurred in February and
    1 in January.
    There is one death where the date of death is under investigation.

The median age of those who died was 82 years and the age range was 69-94 years."

@blowitupref, in view of the delay ( frequently months ) in reporting deaths what do you consider to be the significance of the '7 day average in reported deaths' figure ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

0lddog wrote: »

"The Health Protection Surveillance Centre has today been notified of 9 additional deaths related to COVID-19.

4 deaths occurred in March,
    3 occurred in February and
    1 in January.
    There is one death where the date of death is under investigation.

The median age of those who died was 82 years and the age range was 69-94 years."

@blowitupref, in view of the delay ( frequently months ) in reporting deaths what do you consider to be the significance of the '7 day average in reported deaths' figure ?

Regardless of delay its an indication that our death rate is declining each week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I think once we kick off the vaccination cycle next week it should really help with hospital numbers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭prunudo

Guess the interest in covid is coming to an end, less than 2 pages since cases announced and 45mins since last post.
    The end of the pandemic must be nigh, thank ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭Polar101

prunudo wrote: »
    Guess the interest in covid is coming to an end, less than 2 pages since cases announced and 45mins since last post.

Maybe everyone is at the shebeen/student party.

I can say I'm pretty fed up with the pandemic myself. I'm sure everyone feels the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Was just thinking the same thing myself, cases are going down, vaccine rollout is proceeding, we've been in Level 5 so long we're all becoming numb to the restrictions, most people expect restrictions to start being eased from next month. Is there anything left to discuss? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Coming up with new material in year 2 is going to be a slog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭prunudo

Polar101 wrote: »
    Maybe everyone is at the shebeen/student party.

I can say I'm pretty fed up with the pandemic myself. I'm sure everyone feels the same.

I've noticed among friends who wouldn't be on board's, that they're becoming more vocal and fed up with things. Picking up on things like nphets constant concern or deciding to visit a park or a beach more than 5km away.

One thing that dawned on me today, i miss just being able to go into a shop and buy something. This crap of online shopping, then having to wait a week for delivery, constantly refreshing the couriers tracking page to see where in the world it is gets tiresome.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tpcl20

It's a joke at this stage. This is coming from us, a household who have been completely staunch on the restrictions up until now. We still clean our shopping before putting it in the fridge as we have high-risk family that we look after. On the other hand, how can people be expected to keep this up indefinitely with no end being indicated, only "reviews" of the completely over-the-top and largely ineffectual restrictions. The current rules are like a punishment, we'll be made write lines next. "I will not be bold because that makes Mehole and Sir Leaksalot cross"

I had a friend over to the garden last week and it actually got me through this week. They were the first person outside of my family that I saw in nine weeks. The rest of the people I know are seeing each other all the time, with the exception of people who have underlying conditions or caring for their elderly relatives (although they'll be vaccinated before the end of the month so that might go out the window).

During the day, when I'm working, I'm facing the front window and all of my neighbours are having people around to their houses to chat in the garden. That particular rule is the absolutely baffling, banning visits to the garden surely means that people are going indoors to not be seen in areas where the neighbours might report you.

Are there gardaí around the place? I haven't seen any in weeks and I go for a run or a cycle every day.

Hospital numbers at 8pm

Total 401 (down from 427 last night)
    ICU 99 (down from 103 last night)

Last Friday

Total 528
    ICU 135

First time less than 100 in ICU since Jan 7th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Super progress

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Hospital numbers at 8pm

Last Friday

Total 528
    ICU 135

Sorry for swearing but that is absolutely ****ing brilliant.

Edit - I am not sorry for swearing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Hospital numbers at 8pm

Last Friday

Total 528
    ICU 135

I actually can’t believe how quickly ICU is dropping after stagnating for so long. It could be <50 in two weeks or so!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭Cork2021

I actually can’t believe how quickly ICU is dropping after stagnating for so long. It could be <50 in two weeks or so!

4 people died in ICU in the last 24 hours RIP.
    On a positive note this downward trend and dare I say it exponential decrease!

Cork2021 wrote: »
    4 people died in ICU in the last 24 hours RIP.
    On a positive note this downward trend and dare I say it exponential decrease!

Looks like a day with 0 ICU admissions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Tpcl20 wrote: »
    During the day, when I'm working, I'm facing the front window and all of my neighbours are having people around to their houses to chat in the garden. That particular rule is the absolutely baffling, banning visits to the garden surely means that people are going indoors to not be seen in areas where the neighbours might report you.
    https://twitter.com/mugecevik/status/1367520145808248841

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Coming up with new material in year 2 is going to be a slog

They gave it a go with the still births to be fair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

It's a tough one though. Absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence. The only countries with the tracing abilities to really detect and quantify the additional risk of an outdoor gathering kept covid under control to the level the risk could never be measured. In the US there was outdoor transmission documented but this was largely also linked to no masks and a lack of social distancing. I'm unaware of any in depth research into outdoor gatherings.

It's known that the virus spreads really well in gyms, restaurants and cafes. One year on though there are so many blindspots. That's not fair on society imo. That's mainly down to the Europe and the US having such crap public health infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

I've noticed among friends who wouldn't be on board's, that they're becoming more vocal and fed up with things. Picking up on things like nphets constant concern or deciding to visit a park or a beach more than 5km away.

One thing that dawned on me today, i miss just being able to go into a shop and buy something. This crap of online shopping, then having to wait a week for delivery, constantly refreshing the couriers tracking page to see where in the world it is gets tiresome.

I used to love ordering online, I bloody hate it now and can't wait to support Irish shops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭poppers

Wonder was there some truth in the Gripit.ie article, Maybee it just me but it seems we have had alot less of the Zero covid advocates on the airwaves the past week.

• Advertisement

Turtwig wrote: »
    It's a tough one though. Absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence. The only countries with the tracing abilities to really detect and quantify the additional risk of an outdoor gathering kept covid under control to the level the risk could never be measured. In the US there was outdoor transmission documented but this was largely also linked to no masks and a lack of social distancing. I'm unaware of any in depth research into outdoor gatherings.

It's known that the virus spreads really well in gyms, restaurants and cafes. One year on though there are so many blindspots. That's not fair on society imo. That's mainly down to the Europe and the US having such crap public health infrastructure.

I'm sick of beating this drum at this stage but we seem to assume absence of evidence is evidence of absence when it comes to schools in this country. We must be the only country that are opening schools ahead of construction. The only country that thinks having 30 kids in a classroom is more risky than letting people travel more than 5km from their homes.

I don't think schools should stay closed at this point, it's been far too long, but our stubborn refusal to keep lower risk activities closed while opening schools is extremely frustrating. If schools can open surely we don't need to keep construction closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

10 posts in 4 hours. People getting as tired of Covid talk as Covid getting tired of vaccines. Hopefully :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

SnuggyBear wrote: »
    I used to love ordering online, I bloody hate it now and can't wait to support Irish shops.

Actually, a few Irish shops have decent online presence now. Worth checking out. Even likes of Currys are quite good, as are Harvey and PowerCity.

And, for foodies, some pubs are doing great food takeaways, quality roast dinners etc. online for click and collect. Always worth considering as a treat, and keeping those businesses going. Check your local pub, some of them are open for this and could do with the business I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Irish times. Government likely to miss target of issuing 1.25m vaccines by end of March.

The Taoiseach, Micheál Martin, has admitted meeting the target of issuing 1.25 million Covid-19 vaccine doses by the end of March is proving “very challenging” as the Government considers a push for an improved system of sharing unused vaccines in the EU.

According to sources with knowledge of the situation, Ireland will be part of a group of member states likely to write to the European Commission next week, arguing for a formalised redistribution mechanism to kick in when a surplus of vaccines accumulates in a member state.

Alongside Ireland, Denmark, Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia are likely to be signatories to the letter, to be signed by Minister for Health Stephen Donnelly, sources said. The countries will likely argue that such an approach would foster solidarity, and would be especially relevant where there is a risk of vaccines going out of date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I'm going to be taking the vaccine myself, but fair play to Ian Brown for pulling out of the Neighbourhood Weekender festival in Warrington, UK as his way of protesting the festival's proposal to use vaccine passports for gaining entry. https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-56278140

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Irish times. Government likely to miss target of issuing 1.25m vaccines by end of March.

The Taoiseach, Micheál Martin, has admitted meeting the target of issuing 1.25 million Covid-19 vaccine doses by the end of March is proving “very challenging” as the Government considers a push for an improved system of sharing unused vaccines in the EU.

According to sources with knowledge of the situation, Ireland will be part of a group of member states likely to write to the European Commission next week, arguing for a formalised redistribution mechanism to kick in when a surplus of vaccines accumulates in a member state.

Alongside Ireland, Denmark, Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia are likely to be signatories to the letter, to be signed by Minister for Health Stephen Donnelly, sources said. The countries will likely argue that such an approach would foster solidarity, and would be especially relevant where there is a risk of vaccines going out of date.

Understandable about a high chance of missing the targets, it needs to be hammered home it's a supply issue. We've had enough HSE bashing about the HSE messing up the vaccinations.

To be honest, they are talking about AZ, mainly in France and Germany. AZ keeps for 6 months so there's no immediate risk of it going out of date. It maybe a push for something to change regarding countries getting new supplies then they still have weeks worth in stock (excluding second doses) it may also be a push for reclucant people in France and Germany to take up the offer of vaccination or risk supplies.

• Advertisement

I'm going to be taking the vaccine myself, but fair play to Ian Brown for pulling out of the Neighbourhood Weekender festival in Warrington, UK as his way of protesting the festival's proposal to use vaccine passports for gaining entry. https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-56278140

I wouldn't hold a person who was "railing against the use of masks to prevent the spread of the virus" to much high regard myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Wolf359f wrote: »
    I wouldn't hold a person who was "railing against the use of masks to prevent the spread of the virus" to much high regard myself.

Well I respect his decision to pull out, at least he's not hitting a policeman with a firework. Wouldn't be a fan of his solo stuff more a Stone Roses fan, but I would defend his right to say it even though I disagree myself.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Well I respect his decision to pull out, at least he's not hitting a policeman with a firework. Wouldn't be a fan of his solo stuff more a Stone Roses fan, but I would defend his right to say it even though I disagree myself.

He's a right to say he disagrees with vaccine passports, it's a very complex issue. There's 2 sides to the debate:
    1: it puts restrictions on people who are not vaccinated (either by their age/beliefs or medical conditions)
    2: It relaxes restrictions on those who are less of a risk to others (with the end goal of zero restrictions for everyone)

So we can all be restricted until a critical mass of vacinated people occurs, or we can allow certain events to occur with vaccinated people.
    But restricting those events to solely vacinated people would be unfair to those who want to take a vaccine but due to age or medical conditions they cannot.
    It's a vicious circle. Guess you could offer 99% ticket sales to vaccinated people and 1% to non vaccinated people (or vaccinated people who forgot their passport). It would reduce the risk on transmission dramatically and it wouldn't be a total ban on non vaccinated people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

He'll be pulling out of a lot of festivals going forward so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

He'll be pulling out of a lot of festivals going forward so

Hes clearly doing a Van Morrison and aiming for the conspiracist market.

Dont think its been a very lucrative market in the past due to its small numbers. If he thinks thats what he has to do his newer stuff really must not be doing well.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement